youtube.com/watch?v=tHCxKy2xWHs
youtube.com/watch?v=0aEtkSLf9hY
youtube.com/watch?v=I-1mmJPUNvY
youtube.com/watch?v=gfOSvunYXc0
allmusic.com/artist/slint-mn0000751604
youtube.com/watch?v=eIE10BcRP38
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

crescendo core is killing the genre
it stifles creativity and makes a very broad gerne (post-rock) into a formulaic genre

same reason prog died. it developed a specific sound. it became an actual identifiable genre instead of a general approach to making music. too many unimaginative artists who don't understand that it isn't "experimental" in the slightest to be a carbon copy of another band that is considered experimental

Godspeed killed it with all their crescendo shit

everything begins in mystique and ends in politics

only stuff from the 1st wave is good

godspeed were fine, it's the endless soulless copies of them that are the problem

I dislike most post-rock but I fucking love Tarentel, especially Ghetto Beats On the Surface of the Sun.

What do? Any recs?

The best genres always tend to die out. Look at prog; That genre blew its entire load from 1969 through 1972.

Does this count as first wave?

>prog died
kys

no. it wouldn't exist without talk talk, four years earlier

NEW MONO ALBUM SUCKED

>first wave is only good post rock
>GYBE and crescendo core killed post rock

Get into Avant-prog

Swans and Kairon Irse will lead the forth wave of post-rock

ask yourself how many times you've posted that image faggot. you've probably stared into fedora man's eyes longer than your own mother you friendless piece of shit

GY!BE and everything that spawned from them is literally video game music.

first wave is teh best, everything else after is boring.

>only goood prog was released from 1969 through 1972

This board is so fucking ignorant lmao

you're probably baiting, but I actually like steven wilson, but he is a revivalist and not at all progressive if you take the term literally. prog is still mostly dead. there has never been another period like 1969-1974. you still get a few bands that bring something new to the table even now, but not an entire culture of music.

literally video game music
Lmao you're retarded

>first wave is teh best, everything else after is boring.

I'm glad the "post-rock is the logical conclusion to music" meme is no longer rampant.

There were still many innovative prog bands in last decade except Porcupine Tree like Tool, The Mars Volta, Kayo Dot and lot of prog metal bands

I literally just said that. but you mentioned four bands, and if you count motW and AtD-I, they've all been around for over 20 years (and some of them aren't really all that innovative). there was ten times that innovation in just five years from 69-74

How many post-rock albums did you listen to last year? How many this year? Did you listen to all 151 post-rock albums of 2015? Where do you get off saying it's dead you ignorant son of a bitch. Fucking hate this place.

>Can - Future Days
>Ash Ra Tempel - Seven Up
>Tomorrow's Gift - Goodbye Future
>Area - Arbeit Macht Frei
>Samla Mammas Manna - Måltid
>Pierrot Lunaire - s/t
>Älgarnas Trädgård - Delayed
>Dedalus - Materiale per Tre Esecutori e Nastro Magnetico
>Frank Zappa - Apostrophe [']
>Neu! - Neu! '75
>Magical Power Mako - Super Record
>Slapp Happy & Henry Cow - Desperate Straights
>Art Zoyd - Symphonie Pour le Jour où Brûleront les Cités
>Horrific Child - L'étrange Monsieur Whinster

all trash

post three innovative new post-rock artists from the 2010s and explain what new thing it is they bring to the table

kys

>Magma
>Henry Cow
>King Crimson
>Can
>Art Zoyd
>Univers Zero
all made good stuff post 1972

toe is good

What the fuck? Why should I? You people are the ones discussing this. I don't care about post-rock that much I've been rotating the same post-hardcore albums for months. I just can't stand ignorance and stupidity, this thread reeks of both. Look at this shit:

I'd bet 5 thousand dollars none of you people have listened to 15 albums out the 151 post-rock albums released in 2015. The only way you can actually DISCUSS anything is by EXPOSING yourself to it. But nope. The same tired "GY!BE killed post-rock" thread. And it'll happen again in a week or a month or so because you fucking idiots don't know how to use google.

are you autistic? post-rock is dead doesn't mean that nothing is being released, it means that nothing new is being done in the genre

And how do you know if nothing new is being done if you haven't listened to the projects done in 2015 you fucking idiot. Or maybe you have. Which ones did you listen to? Let's get some discussion going.

I asked you first family

>I don't care about post-rock that much I've been rotating the same post-hardcore albums for months

But please, go ahead and keep peddling this tired fucking thread. You and your ilk.

but you just asked to get some discussion going...

Alrighty. Recommend to me a post-rock album from 2015 you enjoyed. I'll listen to it right now and get back to you if this thread is still up.

I enjoyed marriages' salome, and jaga jazzist's starfire, but as per my previous point neither brought anything particularly new to the table

some great stuff has came out in the last 5 years, not dead by any means.

This is my "first wave" chart. Still listening to "second wave". What would you recommend for second wave?

Ahh, The Sea And The Bells is a wonderful album.

desu I don't know when these waves even begin and end but:

obligatory gy!be, silver mt zion and sftf
the for carnation
kayo dot
circle
shipping news
rodan
june of 44
crippled black phoenix
ulver
gregor samsa
mothlite

for me, I consider first wave to end with Soundtracks for the Blind and second wave to begin with F#a#infinity. I don't go by waves, since that's a stupid system to base things on, but if I were to explain it to someone, that's how I'd go by.

>Soundtracks for the Blind
well I guess most of that stuff qualifies then. I just went for artists that were clearly influenced by prior post-rock artists

I don't think that's a fair assesment, since many groups were influenced by, say, Spiderland and yet they too can be considered first-wave. Would you consider something like The Serpentine Similar by Gastr del Sol to be second wave?

I mean I did just say I don't know when these waves are supposed to begin and end.

I definitely think gastr del sol is different to what I was referring to - bands like rodan, shipping news and june of 44 which weren't merely influenced by slint, but completely in the style of slint. so maybe influenced was the wrong word to use

In defense of those dudes, Jo44 and Rodan are definitely their own beasts.

So no albums? So you really didn't listen to anything on 2015?

shit this was meant for you senpai

Listening Salome now.

Name a legitimately noteworthy post-rock album after 2012

Read the thread man I don't care about it too much. The whole point of my posting at all is I can't stand ignorance. If you're gonna call out an entire genre as not being innovative you better have listened to a good chunk of the work released in contemporary years. So far no one has been able to say they have.

This sounds more like 2000s alt rock and shoegaze than anything with the vocalist singing like she is. A bit of Garbage somewhere in there, too. It's all enjoyable for sure. The last two tracks were really nice, as was the title track. Don't think I'll be listening to it again for a while to be honest.

yeah, I haven't listened to it since around the release. the vocalist and guitarist is emma ruth rundle from red sparowes, and marriages is probably only really considered post-rock because of that. red sparowes are possibly the most blatant gy!be copycat I've ever heard, but she's got an ear for guitar tone and texture that works well in that context, and even better for shoegaze

you might find that jaga jazzist album more interesting, maybe a stretch to call it post-rock, but tortoise is definitely their most obvious influence

pls respond

Having crescendos is not the same as crescendo-core.
Crescendo-core is the unimaginative forcing of bland crescendos, sorta like the brostep of art rock.
Not that I expect nuanced discussion with someone who unironically dislikes GYBE.

As a whole, first wave is better, but second wave has some stuff that is better than most first wave
>Kairon Irse
I like them, but they're a meme

An interesting post-rock band I've heard from the past 5 years was Battlestations. I wasn't too fond of this album, but I'm sure some of you will appreciate it more than I did.

clyp.it/p3rueezb

What aspects of Tarentel did you enjoy?

I like This will destroy you and mono is okay but third wave is generally pretty boring.
I might give this album another chance but i prefer them as post hardcore, and tilian is actually sounding better in dgd nowadays.
will check out

Well, like I said, Ghetto Beats is my favorite. I love the contrast of the hypnotic-repetitive drum riff of the opening track with the completely free-form percussion in Ghost Trees and Tied to a Tree in a Jungle of Mystery. I love the noisiness of it. I guess I just love the contrast of the hyper-structured parts with the almost loose free-jazzish bits layered with the exact right type of noise. The droney overtones make it both tenderly psychological and forcefully uncompromising. The whole thing just evokes an extraterrestrial sort of metaphysical feeling that I can't quite describe. It's like Tim Hecker layering a bunch of shit on top of Future days. It has the detached nihilistic feeling of Prurient with the organic naturalness of Natural Snow Buildings.

Kek

whoever made that picture made the huge mistake of putting that bloated Crippled Black Phoenix double album instead of their masterpiece I, Vigilante

youtube.com/watch?v=tHCxKy2xWHs

Sigur ros

this album killed post-rock

Hm. If you haven't heard it already, I'd definitely recommend you check out Well Oiled by Hash Jar Tempo. Kinda has that same feel of "Tim Hecker layering a bunch of shit on top of Future Days". Aside from that, maybe Magnog's self-titled, or Yume Bitsu's self-titled would be something work checking out.

Hash Jar Tempo:
youtube.com/watch?v=0aEtkSLf9hY

Magnog:
youtube.com/watch?v=I-1mmJPUNvY

Yume Bitsu:
youtube.com/watch?v=gfOSvunYXc0

apparently they released a record today

so let's see about that too

lift your skinny fists is - i'll use the memephrrase here - "the logical conclusion" to music, the end station

ambient, drone, and post rock blended so well together and drawing such a range of emotions make this album my favorite of all time

Is rock the biggest meme genre of all time? Even though it's the most bland unoriginal genre of all time it's very popular

I'm well acquainted with HJT but the other two are dope, I hadn't heard them. Great recs, thanks friendo.

I'd say the biggest meme genre would be something style over substance that relies entirely (or almost entirely) on being controversial, being repeated and talked about ad nauseam and on its image. So probably hip hop or deathcore or most female pop artists.

Glad you liked them

Although the true meme genre (based on your definition) would be something like Crunkcore, or Vaporwave. I usually don't associate hip hop with image, although I see where you're coming from.

i listened to from bone to satellite and thought it was directionless and bland
i like jefre cantu-ledesma, so i thought it was weird that something he was a part of was so uninteresting to me
is there anything else of theirs i should try?

I have never listened to any of the listed 3rd wave stuff. If I unironically like the memiest stuff
>Laughing Stock
>Soundtracks
>GYBE and Zion
>Mogwai
Would I like anything in the third-wave? I'm conflating lack of any meme status with lack of anything all that interesting.

Show me some modern post-rock in the vein of Bark Psychosis/Talk Talk/Escape the Day. That's my idea of good post-rock.

It's really not. People think that post rock is limited to gy!be-style composition and twinkly explosions in the sky layered guitars. But "post-rock" is an extraordinarily broad genre. People go crazy for Swan's latest material, and I would definitely consider that post-rock in some regard.

EITS are memes and they're third wave.

I like post-rock, what are waves?
pic related is my recent fave

When people refer to waves, they're talking about the types of post-rock releases released throughout the years. The only reason they exist is so that certain people can label a broad category of albums and associate them with a different sound. There's really no merit to it.

I'm going to assume you mean aside from Ghetto Beats since I mentioned it in the post you linked. Live Edits: Natoma is interesting, has some pretty different instrumentation from their other stuff. We Move Through Weather is fairly good too.

I think they have some other good albums too, but they might be too similar to FBTS for your taste.

Unlike a lot of bands, I think their albums get better as you get deeper into them chronologically.

Fedora image is the crescendo core of shitposting. Or was, until baneposting came along and redefined the genre.
>No irony, I love baneposting. Hasn't gotten old for me yet

>blend of three genres out of thousands, two of which happen to be closely related
Such a logical conclusion.

actual relevant primer coming through

Durutti Column - The Return of the Durutti Column
Pan American - Pan American
Ganger - Hammock Style
Tarentel - Ghetto Beats From The Surface of the Sun
Sam Prekop - Sam Prekop
Disco Inferno - The 5 EP's
Boris & Merzbow - Rock Dream
Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
Exhaust - Enregistreur
Do Make Say Think - Goodbye Enemy Airship the Landlord is Dead
Jim O'Rourke - Bad Timing
Gastr Del Sol - Camofleur
Roy Montgomery - Temple IV
Set Fire to Flames - Signs Reign Rebuilder
Southpacific - Constance
The Evpatoria Report - Golevka
Bowery Electric - Beat
Stereolab - Emperor Tomato Ketchup
Jessamine - Jessamine
Moonshake - Eva Luna
Labradford - Prazision LP
The Samuel Jackson Five - Easily Misunderstood
Brokeback - Field Recordings From the Cook County Water Table
Tribes of Neurot / Walking Time Bombs - Static Migration
Lift to Experience - The Texas Jerusalem Crossroads
Macha - See it Another Way
Manta Ray - Manta Ray
Shalabi Effect - Feign to Delight Gaiety of Gods
Circle - Prospekt
Rhys Chatham - An Angel Moves too Fast to See
Ewa Braun - Stereo
Pram - The Stars are so Big, the Earth is so Small... Stay as You Are
John Fahey & Cul De Sac - The Epiphany of Glenn Jones
Laika - Sounds of the Satellites
Friends of Dean Martinez - The Shadow of Your Smile
Tortoise - A Lazarus Taxon
Flying Saucer Attack - Flying Saucer Attack
Bark Psychosis - Hex
Hood - Cabled Linear Tracion
Seven Percent Solution - All About Satellites and Spaceships
Th' Faith Healers - Imaginary Friend
Th' Faith Healers - Lido
Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
Stereolab & Nurse With Wound - Simple Headphone Mind
Fridge - Sevens and Twelves
The American Analog Set - From Our Living Room to Yours
Hash Jar Tempo - Well Oiled
Seefeel - Quique
PiL - Metal Box
Tony Conrad with Faust - Outside the Dream Syndicate

you consider it such because you're wrong

rip Sprid
the only other human being on this site with decent-to-great selections in post-rock
what a fucking curse it is to love so many records falling under this label

>all 151
you sound like a clown
show me anything that comes close to what I posted on my list and I will take you seriously

>The only reason they exist is so that certain people can label a broad category of albums and associate them with a different sound.
just like literally every other genre label ever, forever

Of course they're autistic. They used the telltale "I don't even care about this but I can't abide ignorance and stupidity as defined by me and my opinions everyone is wrong and must be told and someone's gotta do it and is this a captcha for ants life is so hard and the burden of intelligence is so heavy
>I'm paraphrasing of course

Guys how are Slint Post-Rock?

allmusic.com/artist/slint-mn0000751604

Maybe they're just unique, They don't sound like any Post-Rock I've heard, I've always pegged them as a Post-Hardcore/Math rock.

Why would you put The Hawk is Howling on their rather than Mogwai's definitive album Young Team?

>only post-rock that isn't post-rock is good post-rock

only first wave post-rock is post-rock, rest is crescendo-core

>genre
>noun
>a category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, characterized by similarities in form, style, or subject matter.
None of the albums in first wave of OP's pic share any significant similarities in form, style, or subject matter, you bloody idiot. "first wave post-rock" is a terrible meme.

are you trying to become the next avant-math autist by redefining what's post-rock and what's not? you aren't impressing anyone

>are you trying to become the next avant-math
my output predates his
>you aren't impressing anyone
demonstrably false

youtube.com/watch?v=eIE10BcRP38

This is exaclty the reason why the term "post-rock" was coined in the first place, you clueless idiot

I dont know if it's dead or not,but Spain is having a good decade with post-rock I say that it's welcome because poppy tunes and commercial songs are the only ones who matter here and suck a lot

post rock may be a breath of fresh air for us especially from Toundra and Jardin de la Croix,not sure if it's innovative,but damn it feels great

I'm a longtime Sup Forums and /s/ lurker, I almost never post anything. I'm a real musician. I'm old. I went to music school.I came here to look at Sup Forums for a minute.. here's the thing, I have autism. in this thread i've seen two different people say "are you an autist"/"are you autistic" instead of "are you retarded". I hope this isn't a popular new trend. it's way too specific.please go back to just saying are you retarded. thank you.

That's genuinely their best album. Good Taste.

this is a pretty shit chart desu