Kanye West

Can we have a serious discussion about Kanye? There's no other rapper like him out there. Nobody uses their voice like he does, even when he isn't sing-rapping you can hear the music/rhythm in his voice, he doesn't need instrumentals. And speaking of instrumentals, whether he produced it or not, his beats change based off of the lyrics. Most rappers make music with static production.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZgJyhKEZ8QU
youtube.com/watch?v=CKDCdiNmTnM
youtube.com/watch?v=7lk1xDyuFB8
youtube.com/watch?v=PHq7uEKpRxs
youtube.com/watch?v=19qSJ2uK50M
youtu.be/F_NdPmsgTe8
youtube.com/watch?v=IfiSKKNlmVg
youtube.com/watch?v=MOyfWUq_214
genius.com/a/kanye-west-explains-what-the-life-of-pablo-means
youtube.com/watch?v=ainyK6fXku0
youtu.be/sGipsRdNR_c
youtube.com/watch?v=q1Et1siZhTk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

youtube.com/watch?v=ZgJyhKEZ8QU

I love him but his lyrics are sometimes not great. The occasional bad lyrics are masked by his production for me though

I don't think he's put out a single bad album

youtube.com/watch?v=CKDCdiNmTnM

check this out senpai

NOW IF I FUCK THIS MODEL

>serious
Come on. He isn't that good. For the record, I listen to his music. Let's not pretend his mumbling is pleasing. His last two projects were very lacking in lyrics.

Quads of truth

Dude's an inspiration. Favorite hip hop artist and the guy that got me into hip hop as a whole. Excited for the next project he drops, regardless of the quality.

In my opinion, this is his best song: youtube.com/watch?v=7lk1xDyuFB8 It's a 15 second loop with him mumbling random thoughts for 10 minutes. It shouldn't work, but it does, and that's really most of Kanye's career, making things that shouldn't work work anyway.

This is a cool video

>Let's not pretend his mumbling is pleasing.
Have you heard Never See Me Again? It's such a pleasant experience

TLOP has lyrics that are so awful I have a hard time getting through some songs. I still wouldn't say its bad because the production is so spot on, like always, but man he came up with some trash lyrics for TLOP,

Meh

QUADS NEVER LIE BABY

They aren't THAT bad. Lazy in parts for sure but I think people overestimate how "painfully bad" the lyrics really are. They're just simple more than anything.

>I love him but his lyrics are sometimes not great.
Emphasis on sometimes, like "So many Aunties we could have an Auntie Team"
Every line he has about a "dyke"
The chorus to So Appalled
"Advice to all my niggas, impregnate Bridget"
a lot of his lyrics on WTT
His verse on H.A.M

Kanye's good lyrics are really good and vastly outweigh the bad.

All memes aside, he will go down as one of the greats

He's talented but his god complex makes him impossible to take seriously, his lyrics are usually garbage and quite frankly he's just like any two cent rapper in the industry at the moment, albeit slightly more talented.

I agree 100%. Honestly, like him or hate him, is there another artist of this generation who has a comparable amount of commercial and critical acclaim?

He's gonna stick around for sure.

>last two
Have you only listened to Yeezus once?

TLOP doesn't have terrible lyrics, it just feels like it does because there's so little actual rapping.
Facts
2 verses in 30 Hours
Saint Pablo
No More Parties

Every other song has very simple lyrics or very short verses

>his god complex
lol
Anyone that actually listens to Kanye knows how modest he is

An artist's personality is irrelevant when judging their work. Nobody cares if Shakespeare or Marlowe were egoistical. And it's not because they were great -- it's because shit like that is irrelevant down the road. Judge music based on music.

I'll make this thread again tomorrow since everyone is sleep.

I don't remember the citation for this but anyway I've heard Kanye comes up with a lot of lyrics at the last minute, Kurt Cobain style. It's probably an egotism thing why he doesn't just hire ghostwriters.

>Im finna bleach my asshole
>If i was model and wear a T-shirt i'd finger my asshole
>If i fuck my asshole
>And if I bleach my T-shirt
>Imma feel like an asshole

Bad lyrics exist to scare away fucking plebs or give pseuds ammo to feel smarter than Kanye.
>bwuh bleached assole
>TLOP discarded

>bwuh 300 ROMANS, those were spartans
>Yeezus discarded

>Imma fuck yo momma like im 300 romans
>My asshole is bleached imma feel like a roman
>Keep it bleached, 300 bitches with 300 assholes
>Finna bleach 300 assholes
>Call that 300 romans and I feel like an asshole
>Imma fuck 300 roman assholes and get bleach on my T-shirt, I feel like a roman asshole

haha kanye west

>tfw kanye west won't be recognized for his genius until long after his death

>tfw TLOP won't be recognized for the masterpiece it is in your lifetime

songs for this feel?

youtube.com/watch?v=PHq7uEKpRxs

youtube.com/watch?v=19qSJ2uK50M

sure.

anyone can rap without intrumentals, they're just aides to make it easier for people to make music to.

many people feel or believe that they cannot but that's a false negative. kanye himself has personality and what you're saying is really strong in runaway for example, 'i'm so gifted and finding what i don't like the most, so i think it's time for us to have a toast' then the beat changes

chance the rapper, childish gambino and eminem all do this but to a much less active degree, others do it , it'll just be easiest for you to find in where they do it

by static production i assume you mean without a producer actively listening and helping and at that point you'd be correct. kanye seems to have his producer/s around constantly when he's creating music

and his 'sing-rapping' is why he's so uniquely placed to take a higher spot in rap than he currently holds

his personality that he expresses to the world is just what everyone does, it's what you do.

just listen to more music, kanye is an amazing artist and that's what he is. but kanye is someone i hold massive respect for in the industry

I love the sound of his voice
he peaked with yeezus
I think tlop was a product of him being sure of what exact direction to go music wise. its not bad but it doesnt deserve any acclaim like his other records. I dont think he'll ever put out another great record because he's too worried about being remembered as being a renaissance man rather than being a master of one thing

It truly sucked that he peaked with his third album, the naming of MBDTF was such a fucking let down when you go in hoping for some macabre scenery and instead you just get the overproduced braggadocius woe is meme that's his whole schtick now.
His lyrics are nothing to write home about, sure his team of people who know what they're doing with music can churn out some good musical bits but ultimately the content plastered over said bits drags it down.

im kanye west ama

You mean you love the sound of the computers voice, try him without autotune youtu.be/F_NdPmsgTe8

Kanye West is a pretentious douchebag and so are all the assholes who insist he's a serious intellectual and artist. Go listen to rappers who actually know how to write.

What? I remember reading somewehere that he used ghostwriters for his first 4 albums

Kanye West is just trying to make interesting music but he is a shit at being a normal guy and some of his instrumentals are not that good (the sampling on Blame Game is disgusting, i highly disliked TLoP)

In the past few weeks I've come to realize TLOP is Kanye's best album in his discography.
>which/one
Who is Pablo? Is it Pablo Escobar? Is it Pablo Picasso? Or is it Saint Paul?
Which life should one pursue? The family, friends and religious life? Or the sex driven, fame loving, artistic vision chasing life? The first life is depicted in tracks like Ultralight Beams, Real friends, 30 hours, FML and Wolves etc. On the other hand we have Famous, Feedback, Facts and Freestyle 4 focusing on the wild life. Just looking at Father stretch my hands part 1 & 2 explains it all. Church choir sample followed by fucking models. Family related verse followed by drugs and sex in Atlanta and it ends on the religious church sample.

You're looking too much into it.

>Kanye West is just trying to make interesting music but he is a shit at being a normal guy and some of his instrumentals are not that good (the sampling on Blame Game is disgusting, i highly disliked TLoP)

>chance the rapper, childish gambino and eminem
I had to drop all three of those artists

youtube.com/watch?v=IfiSKKNlmVg

It always makes me laugh when normies brush him off as low brow and uncreative. He's one of the most talented and inspirational rappers to ever come out. And considering the era that he did come out in, one in which hip-hop was stale as fuck with 50 Cent and Nelly ruling the charts, and all the talented artists relegated to obscurity in the underground, Kanye changed a lot of that. Back then, Kanye was backpacker hip-hop, but he turned that into the mainstream and now a lot of the other biggest names in the game clearly draw influence from Ye.

>a lot of the other biggest names in the game clearly draw influence from Ye.
none are even close to being as good though

Couldn't tell any bad thing about this dude and some of his songs are fun to listen to, most of his stuff is lazy or uninspired though

Man you'd think after all the Kanye discussion this board would possess the ability to not have the most embarrassing discussions of any given hip hop record, yet here we are.

Listening to you guys discuss albums, artists, production, or tracks is like listening to space aliens. I don't know how this can be a music board when everyone here talks like someone who is just in the middle of "discovering" rap. Yeesh.

This isn't an indictment of any one person--I'm glad you guys are here--I just think this discussion is weak.

That's kind of the charm though. Those cringey moments are what makes his music perfectly imperfect.

I guess you aren't old enough to remember his string of smash singles? I was in 3rd grade when "Gold Digger" came out, and I remember every kid in my class singing the radio edit. Kanye has never been backpack, man, that's a crazy statement. Kanye is one of the most exciting artists in music, full stop, but he sets trends in the reflection of the industry. He makes things new, but still fits into the hip hop landscape very cozily.

Weak in what facet? I agree with you, and I feel like it's because Sup Forums is mostly white.
White people talk about hip-hop in a really strange way and don't seem to understand a lot of the culture and what makes something great.

A BACKPACK NIGGA WITH LUXURY TASTEBUDS

I think you're wrong about this. He's very direct and blunt sometimes, when he expressly wants to be. If any of his lyrics were actually "bad", we wouldn't be sharing this sentiment. I think sometimes his lyrics are sometimes genuinely shocking in the openness of that they're saying. I don't think that's "cringe worthy".

yes thank you

That's a statement on his mindset at the time he was writing that song, but is indicative of no stage of his career.

Backpack rappers, even though they're effectively gone from the scene now anyway, were people like Blue Scholars or Aesop Rock.

ehhem
youtu.be/F_NdPmsgTe8
cant sing for shit, talentless

Mmmmm yes please recommend me some garbage that's "real"

Kanye confirmed the "which Pablo" idea. It's just a matter of connecting each track to one of the themes.

when did he confirm it

Uhh, trust me, I'm a lot older than most people here. I'm referring to when Kanye first came out as a performer instead of just a producer. He makes references to this like in "Last Call" when he was having trouble being taken seriously as a rapper because being a rapper/producer wasn't a positive thing back then, and also because most successful rappers had a gangster/drug-selling background and wore jerseys and not polos.

Nobody said he's a great singer though? You can be a bad singer and still be musically talented. See: Robert Wyatt

How will Kanye recover from this?
youtube.com/watch?v=MOyfWUq_214

Check the stream of tweets on 13th of Feb. genius.com/a/kanye-west-explains-what-the-life-of-pablo-means

I REALLY love the TLOP album artwork. The wedding picture and the orange with the black font, it's perfect. And I like the colors brought in by the ass pic.
Pablo really is a masterpiece. I should download the official version, right? I still have the original with Frank Ocean Wolves and "SHE IN SCHOOL TO BE A REAL ESTATE AGENT, LAST WEEK I HELPED HER WITH THE CAR PAYMENT".

I think it's just a discussion that is like..always wrong in what it's saying. The people here, by and large, seem to have a blanket misunderstanding of hip hop at large. They don't understand the culture of it, the blackness of it, the intent of it, or the history of it. They approach every record that blips on their radar with a baby-like newness. That explains to me why the 4 or 5 mu-approved hip hop records are so steeped in praise, but not the kind of praise that ever offers a "why".

I don't think anybody needs to have a scholarly understanding of hip hop or even a deep understanding of black people to like hip hop, but white people are at an extremely high risk to misunderstand, or worse, appropriate the culture.

The hip hop that is white-person-approved is really easy to categorize. It's stuff that either dilutes and waters down itself (white people love Drake), the rare record that magically aligns with white people (ie Madvillainy), and stuff that is a commodity because of its perceived "blackness".

Yeah no shit he struggled on the come up, like anybody ever.
Not a backpacker in any sense. Thugger had a come up, but was never a backpacker.

>A Picasso painting, The Old Guitarist, inspired the Paul McCartney song that Kanye interpolated on “All Day.”

IT'S ALL CONNECTED

And yet plebs still scoff it off as "reading too much into Kanye". It all makes sense

>and stuff that is a commodity because of its perceived "blackness".
which is why white people LOVE Kendrick Lamar.
You said I what I was trying to say perfectly. White people don't understand black culture and as a result miss out on a lot when it comes to hip-hop culture.
Other minorities can also not completely comprehend black culture, but they're still able to pick up more of it (especially Latinos) because of our shared role in society.
White people are the most unlike other races. Remember when the #GrowingUpBlack, #GrowingUpLatino, and #GrowingUpAsian posts were trending on Twitter? There were a lot more similarities than differences.

I hate the new Feedback and Fade. Also the "she in school to be a real estate agent" line ruined the flow on Famous. Other than that there's small nice additions here and there so you should get the updated version.

First of all, it's hard to have an in-depth conversation about something when all threads are wiped away in 24 hours. You essentially have to start off from square one with each discussion. With that said, I think Sup Forums still has better dialogues than the majority of music forums.

Secondly, I grossly disagree with your statements on culture and blackness. The majority of Sup Forumstants know just as much about hip-hop history as your average hip-hop fan. And it doesn't matter if you're white or black. That's a fucking lie and only propagates racism by dividing people. Race is solely a social construct, and sure, that does affect people's experiences through life, but to say a white person can't appreciate art made by a black person because they don't have the same experiences or upbringing is blatantly false and assumes one is incapable of understanding another person's point of view or beliefs. I'm white myself but live in my city's Jamaican community and therefore spend a lot of time with black people. And I'm only saying that, not to say I know what blackness is or whatnot, but because THAT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER. You don't have to be harassed by police everyday to understand where Vince Staples is coming from or be surrounded by drug dealers to be able to enjoy trap music.

Music is the universal language. It doesn't have colour.

Meant to add, literally every black person I've ever met loves Drake. I guess that makes them white? (Granted, I live in Toronto so everybody's biased)

Anyway, my point is you shouldn't try to label and divide people so much. I only do so when I'm trying to point out how stupid and useless those labels are. And sure, there's some people who are blind to the injustice and inequalities that still exist, but it's not hard for a lot of others to open up and be able to relate to someone from a different background. And I'm willing to bet most of the people on Sup Forums are enlightened enough to be capable of doing that.

>Also the "she in school to be a real estate agent" line ruined the flow on Famous.
He should've rerecorded the whole verse, it sounds so out of place.
And Feedback and Fade got renewed too?
I read that Fade was edited to seem less like an ending track, but I don't remember hearing any difference when I clicked play.
I hate that he took Frank off Wolves, but maybe I'll grow into it.

>The majority of Sup Forumstants know just as much about hip-hop history as your average hip-hop fan.
He never said anything about hip-hop history. You don't need to know about hip-hop history to understand hip-hop culture.
>That's a fucking lie and only propagates racism by dividing people.
>And I'm only saying that, not to say I know what blackness is or whatnot, but because THAT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER.
>You don't have to be harassed by police everyday to understand where Vince Staples is coming from or be surrounded by drug dealers to be able to enjoy trap music.
Listen to this. You're the girl in this song.
youtube.com/watch?v=ainyK6fXku0
>literally every black person I've ever met loves Drake
You must not have met many black people, black people don't love Drake like white people love Drake.

I don't think that's true at all. The idea that this discussion board isn't a good place for discussion is...well.

I'm not saying Drake is for white people or that Yachty is for black people, but the reasons that most white people listen to hip hop are a fucking bummer. White girls listen to Chance and do blaccents to each other.

Saying that mu knows as much as the average hip hop fan is nuts. More than half of mu thinks hip hop is "nigger music" and they say as much because they're anonymous. The rest are basically ill-informed, and maybe like 2-4% of this board knows shit about hip hop.

You would be blown away by how much white people don't understand what it means to be black.

Black people are not white people are not Asian people. It's fun that you're one of those "I don't see color" people but people are different, and that's worth celebrating. If white people understood black people then we wouldn't live in this world.

The best thing he did was add Vic and Sia back to Wolves. He also added "Saint Pablo" as the final 20th track
youtu.be/sGipsRdNR_c

>The best thing he did was add Vic and Sia back to Wolves
I liked it when I first heard it, but I got used to and ended up liking the Frank Ocean version better.
Thank you for this video. I'm going to find a download link.

He did briefly mention history, which is why I mentioned it.

Except I came from a poor background so I'm not trying to fake or glamorize anything. It still doesn't fucking matter. How could being white make you not be able to "get" or understand black music? Would you also say black people can't understand white music? Please explain. The colour of your skin doesn't fucking matter.

Half of the people I know these days are black, but I guess I don't know black people. Or maybe they just aren't true black, y'know? Maybe they're not black enough by your standards. Some of them are pretty lightskin. How do you judge if someone is black? Is it the colour of their skin? Their social status? Their choice of music? If they speak ebonics or patois?

I literally had a conversation with my girlfriend's father, who hates a lot of American hip-hop and Kanye West, but loves Drake. I explained to him how Drake actually owes a lot to Kanye and showed him there's a much deeper side to Kanye's artistry than he knew of from his shallow knowledge of him as an artist. This is a guy who was born in Jamaica and hangs out with local reggae artists. But again, since he likes Drake, he must not actually be black. That fucking poseur.

holy shit that full choir and the synth on freestyle 4
New Fade doesn't sound that great though

>I came from a poor background
missing the point again, Archibald, I just used that song as an example.

People who say "nigger music" are just trolls and aren't actually that much of the population here, they just stick out. I fail to see how the rest are ill-informed?

And okay, maybe a lot of white people are fairly ignorant, but I'm not really trying to talk about them. I'm talking about the people who post on Sup Forums. I've never seen enough evidence to convince me that the posters on Sup Forums who are actively trying to discuss hip-hop music are unqualified to do so. Putting people into such basic groups is so arbitrary to me. I understand it, based on your race you're going to have some of the same experiences as your peers, but that isn't a blanket for everybody. Some black people grow up poor and some grow up wealthy. Same goes for Asians. Same goes for whites. Maybe at different proportions, but the point is nothing is as simple as black and white. And I'm not willing to say someone is qualified to talk about music or not based on the colour of their skin. Hell, you can't even see what skin colour people are on here. And I thought that was the point of anonymous? To judge a post based on its content and not by who its posted by? So therefore, if you're going to say hip-hop discussion on here is poor, I don't accept blackness as a reason. Your point may be right, but I would need to hear a better argument for it.

But I'm saying the whole point behind it is wrong. Just because someone is from a different background doesn't mean they can't understand someone else's life. Why does white and black have anything to do with it? It doesn't. It's all about if you can empathize with people who have different beliefs and values. Nothing to do with skin colour.

This is an objectively correct interpretation of The Life of Pablo. Nice job.

listen to yeezus again. i can agree that the life of pablo is lacking in lyrics even though i love it, but yeezus is definitely not lacking in good lyrics except for send it up

>You must not have met many black people, black people don't love Drake like white people love Drake.
Isn't that just a pointless generalization? Unless you know literally every black person, you probably shouldn't be making such definitive statements.

Not to mention white people. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing a greater percentage of black people listen to Drake than white people. Maybe it's just me, but the whole Trump crowd doesn't seem like the Drake loving type.

no one cares. good luck with that. his 'music' is trash that will be forgotten soon enough.

Is this comment a joke or..?

No? There's plenty of people who will never listen to anything remotely hip-hop like dad-rockers who insist that AC/DC is the epitome of rock and country fans who would literally say "I ain't listening to that nigger crap."

Some black people might diss Drake because he's fake, but a lot of them still listen to him. Especially females.

I honestly don't get where all this "black people don't like Drake" comes from. All my anecdotal evidence says otherwise, so I'd gladly like to see some objective evidence that says otherwise? The only thing I can think of is looking at what a lot of NBA and NFL players listen to by googling it. And guess what? A lot of them listen to Drake.

People are too stupid to listen to lyrical music. Why do you think Kanye should improve his lyrics? If he did he wouldn't be popular.

Basically reminds me of "Dumb it Down" by Lupe Fiasco
youtube.com/watch?v=q1Et1siZhTk

Mmmmm wow you're so enlightened wow you understand wow

Wow, nobody can still answer why you have to be black to talk about hip-hop or even give a response without a blanket statement about entire racial groups that have no basis in actual reality. Because saying you don't understand blackness is a copout reason to be able to talk down on people without actually using sound arguments to convey your superiority complex.

>what is yeezus

TIL lmao

>kanye
lol

Am I the only one who likes the chorus of So Appalled?

anyone have a link to all day in flac?

I FUCK YO HAMPTON SPOUSE

AY YO

>the dark menacing melody in the choruses in All Day is the same melody Paul Mccartney is whistling and playing on acoustic guitar at in the outro of the song
holy shit