Hey Sup Forums, so im looking to get a new mic for general usage/vocal recording, to setup for my PC. Now...

Hey Sup Forums, so im looking to get a new mic for general usage/vocal recording, to setup for my PC. Now, I understand that with condenser mics you need an audio interface with Phantom Power, just to power the mic itself. My question is, how would I go about getting sound into my computer if im not using a USB mic (I dont want a USB because I plan on gettign more in the future and dont want to be limited to buying an entire new set instead of just getting another XLR mic.) Anyone have any kind of know-how when it comes to this that would be willing to explain it in its entirety to me? Thanks ahead in advance.
PS. Sorry for horrible english, Swedish native.

Other urls found in this thread:

sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB?adpos=1o6&creative=55225944121&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjw7e66BRDhnrizmcGc8VcSJABR6gaRApsH3_vXga0LYxgnXL2Vx7jRuAT7ACHBvabgTU2zzxoCySzw_wcB
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Let me ask some preemptive questions:
>what are you using the Mic for?
>how long do you want this Mic to last?
>what's your budget?
>how much knowledge do you have of sound hardware?

>Using the mic to record vocals, podcasts, and just chatting with friends (I could get a headset for that last one if needed)
>I want it to last at the minimum six months (Im a very careful and neat person, I would assume that unless its a hardware issue any mic would last that long?)
>My budget is ~1000 U.S.D
>Nearly 0 knowledge as far as hardware goes, but, im a fairly quick learner and not objective to anything you'd like to fill me in on.

You said it yourself. You need an audio interface and any mic fitting your budget.

Get yourself one of these
sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB?adpos=1o6&creative=55225944121&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjw7e66BRDhnrizmcGc8VcSJABR6gaRApsH3_vXga0LYxgnXL2Vx7jRuAT7ACHBvabgTU2zzxoCySzw_wcB

Look on ebay to find any used. These are generally good if you're starting out on a budget, especially if you're only doing vocal work. It plugs right into USB and invluydes 48V phantom power needed for condenser microphones.

Granted, you don't wanna go blowing too much money on an expensive condenser. Check sites like Reverb to find used ones.

Don't waste your time, get a telefunken u47

It is my understanding not ever audio interface runs phantom power, and not every interface is USB, correct?
Thank you, I will check this one out!
For that price, id rather waste my time.

These are pretty crappy. Go with focusrite instead.

And now I came in late to hear that you have $1000.

Get yourself:
>Interface, such as this one.
>Solid microphone
>Boom stand of sorts, don't settle for tiny desktop ones
>Pop Filter
>Solid quality editing software, if your video editing software doesn't have any functions for audio

Just this stuff alone is plenty to get started, and the materials can last years if you're not a piece of shit with them.

Rode nt1a, or procaster
Get a scarlet 2i1
rode into scarlet, scarlet into pc
record into audacity

I forgot a boom stand, popfilter and shock mount

This is my setup

This guy gets it.
>2i2
Would recommend reaper instead

Well personally I use a zoom h6
but its prob a bit to featured for simple recording, I use it for having guests on my stream/ video production

Zoom is good for shooting audio in a different location. If you're at your desk, you should just record straight into the computer.

Reaper is a solid DAW, it has a basically unlimited trial, with its base price set at only $60 USD.

you've been incredibly helpful, I thank you. Very nice setup by the way.
And why would you suggest Reaper instead of 2i2

Zooms are also pretty decent audio interface

Reaper is the software and scarlett2i2 is the interface. I recommend both.

XLR mic, and I do somtimes record stuff when im away, my group dosent like sitting at my place all the time, sometimes we put lapel mics on and chat at dinner or something

and expensive, especily since i came off a tascam. MY GOD its like night and day.

My mistake lol.

Ditto on the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface. Nice piece of gear.

I'm not doubting that it's not a good interface. I'm just saying that it's best to have the right tool for the right job if you're sitting at your desk.

Well, now you're talking a different breed than having just voiceover work. Sounds like that is already pretty solid, if there are good microphones to use at a different location that isn't broadcasting live.

Look up soulbruthanumba3 microphone on youtube, he has a couple videos that give a good run down

The only time I would be using the mic at all is if I am at my desk

So the overall, setup i am thinking is the AT2035, or Rode nt1a-Scarlet 2i2-Mic stand, pop filter, (should I also get a mic arm?) any other accessory that I may find needed. (???)

Need a xlr cable

If you want to get a real microphone drop 3k on the Neumann U87. The last mike you will ever need for non live events.

If you don't have 3k, drop 100$ on the blue yeti USB microphone and save your money.

Holy fuck op do not get a Scarlett... Especially with that budget. Just google the headroom issues.

Only noobs that don't know what they're talking about recommend them

Get something long, thick, and black, since you're from sweden it shouldnt be too hard to fine something like that.

A good place to start is the local refugee center

I was aware of that much just forgot to include it in the post, sorry haha.
I could but Im trying to set myself up for experimentation with other mics, I dont like the size or aesthetic of the blue yeti honestly,probably a poor way to look at it but ya know

unoriginal faggot spotted, contribute to the thread with knowledgeable information or gtfo?????
The previous posters seemed like they were all for the scarlett, have you owned one before or?

Get a used AKG 414 & an Apogee One. Apogee has phantom power & also acts as an interface. AKG 414s are some of the best all-around mics you can get.

>Nearly 0 knowledge as far as hardware goes, but, im a fairly quick learner and not objective to anything you'd like to fill me in on.
get something cheap until you know what you're doing, you can get a condensor from china for like $8 to try out, look up the bm-700 and bm-800
>My budget is ~1000 U.S.D
why

>I want it to last at the minimum six months (Im a very careful and neat person, I would assume that unless its a hardware issue any mic would last that long?)
unless you're a toddler or touring a mic should last you at least a couple years

>Using the mic to record vocals, podcasts, and just chatting with friends (I could get a headset for that last one if needed)
in my experience don't use a condenser for chatting with friends, they can hear shit like your air conditioner or washing machine running and it annoys everyone, also do not use one for podcasts because the pop filter makes you look terrible

>It is my understanding not ever audio interface runs phantom power, and not every interface is USB, correct?
most interfaces that have xlr inputs will have 48v phantom, unless its behringer
most interfaces are usb, do not get firewire:they always have problems, do not get anything older than firewire: it will be terribly hard to use

condensers do not have better sound quality than dynamic mics
condensers do not have better sound quality than dynamic mics
microphone price is not related to sound quality at all, just how much that particular mic sounds. people pay top dollar for certain mics because they want that particular sound not because it is better
microphone price is not related to sound quality at all

what do you mean why, like..because thats what ive set aside for it????
I typically use push-to-chat anyway to avoid un-needed background noise such as my dogs wrestling around or barking at passing cars.

Also, what do you mean looks terrible?

you can experiment as much as you want, but at the end you will either buy the neumann u87 or stop recording. Any money spent before buying that mike is pretty much wasted if you are serious.

If you are recording on the computer a sub 100$ usb mike is going to sound just about the same as most of the mikes in this thread unless you drop serious money on the interface

$1000 for a microphone is a lot of money for a home microphone, personally i'd get a ~$150 interface and maybe a ~$150 mic, if you really want to spend that much i'd personally get a couple mics in that range for different purposes
i meant looks terrible more for youtube than podcasts, anyone who does a video with a pop filter in front of their face looks pretentious and amateur

>Things you can hear at guitar center

Oh, forgot to mention that if you can't find yourself a good used AKG 414 for ~$750 (it's tough, but they're out there), the Neumann TLM 102 and the Sennheiser MK4 are both pretty great options.