Do you actually like Joanna Newsom's voice? Too weird for me

Do you actually like Joanna Newsom's voice? Too weird for me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=47yuiPK01kg
pitchfork.com/features/interview/6488-joanna-newsom/)
youtube.com/watch?v=8-Mj3wKU-wg
youtube.com/watch?v=bWsDiwIxD0c
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>weird
it's as weird as grimes'

It's much weirder than Grimes. I'm saying that as a Grimes fan.

I've only heard Ys but I was much more impressed by Van Dyke Park's arrangements so I probs won't be trying any more of her records.
Her harp playing was pretty good and her vocals were...interesting but whether purposeful or not, it just sounded to me like she had poor control and diction. At times that lended to a more emotive performance but most of the time I just found it annoying.
Grimes also has difficulty with enunciation but Joanna's phrasing, melodic sensibilities, accenting and timbre are all a far sight "stranger" (if you mean that to mean "less traditional/poppy") than Grimes'.

The thing is that I dig the instrumentals of her music. The voice is... off-putting.

I think her voice goes well with the music that accompanies it. I am probably a minority in this opinion, however.

youtube.com/watch?v=47yuiPK01kg

her voice is better now

is she deaf or something?

i like her voice. i found it kind of annoying the first time i listened to ys, but it grew on me and i hardly noticed it by my 3rd listen.

lmao

The arrangements are good on all of her albums, and she had a lot of input to Van Dyke Parks. "It took seven months of him writing up drafts and sending them to me, then me sending them back with pages of notes." (source: pitchfork.com/features/interview/6488-joanna-newsom/)

Also her voice sounds slightly different on each of her albums. On 'Have One On Me,' it's a bit clearer and probably her most normal.

the vocals and harp are so separated in the mix, wtf

She sounds like she has cerebral palsy.

She's literally my favorite artist

Her voice is more accessible in later albums

youtube.com/watch?v=8-Mj3wKU-wg

She's the only musician whose voice I have to get re-used to on every album. I still don't know if that's good or bad but it's definitely interesting

No. I don't enjoy her voice. And I am very upset she's married to jew sandbegsteion. she's so beautiful

Yeah dude, Parks was clearly the creative force behind the orchestrations, don't believe everything women claim credit for.

her voice is awful and extremely annoying

her face contortions are the only thing that throw me off about her performances. other than that i think she's great.

she is perfect

her hair and complexion are pretty leet

If I was doing a fairy tale play, she would be my narrator.

best I can describe it.

I can't understand this opinion. I rarely see this "criticism" directed towards other mu beloved female singers (Kate Bush, Bjork) who also use high pitch in their songs.
>poor control
How do you get to this idea after listening to Only Skin. Every inflection and ptch change goes accordingly to the mood she is trying to convey with each verse.

>who also use high pitch in their songs.
They used high pitch in their songs but the timbre of their voices is much more pleasant. Newsom sounds too much like a baby.

>the timbre of their voices is much more pleasant.
Seems like onions to me. I love the way she sings, specially in songs like Emily (We saw those mountains kneeling, felten and grey) or Good Intentions Paving Company.

I tought the problem you guys had was when she almost screeched like the first chorus of Emily, even though is such a rare ocurrence.

My problem is with the timbre of her voice. It just doesn't sound right.

I really don't understand how anyone who listens to music as a hobby can be bothered by something as trivial as this, I always expect shit like this on youtube comments and reddit but not from anyone who actually has listened to music in depth.
What would I expect though from people who confuse timbre and control of the voice, it's very obvious she has great control of her voice, next thing you will tell me Mangum can't sing in key.

As far as folk goes, it's not that weird. She did get better at singing though.

how has no one said this yet.

> In the spring of 2009, Newsom developed vocal cord nodules and could not speak or sing for two months. The recovery from the nodules and further "vocal modifications" changed her voice.

youtube.com/watch?v=bWsDiwIxD0c

lol it's so cute

You sound like a narcissistic, yet self-hating asshole.

Not really, I just find the human voice to be beautiful and as long as there is skill behind it I don't know why people are so easy to shun out of the ordinary voices.

The orchestrations are okay, though a little overbearing at times. What he did was not that impressive at all, those are showtune-level arrangements. Nothing to be amazed at unless you're new to orchestral music.

Joanna's use of polyrhythms and her complex harp compositions are much more commendable.

I describe her voice as a witch in a musical, only without the cackling and other crap.

I like her voice now, but for a long time I loathed her. It's an acquired taste for sure.