What does Sup Forums think of Dance Gavin Dance? And by that token, the post hardcore genre in general...

What does Sup Forums think of Dance Gavin Dance? And by that token, the post hardcore genre in general? For some reason I can't get past the vapidity of their lyrics no matter how musically engaging their songs are. I'm not a musician really, so I don't know if this is a valid critique, but the lyricism and vocal deliveries just kind of fuck everything that could have been good about any of their songs. And after going to one of their shows I'm starting to think their fanbase might be...cringeworthy? Someone explain this cacophony of word salad and trendy pseudo punk to me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RMrpi5Z8doc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Shit ampersand shit

But there has to be MORE to it than that. There are parts to their music that aren't shit, but something is covering it in shit.

I like jon mess' vocals cause theyre funny but otherwise i think theyre definitely a instrument centric band. I dont see how their more trendy and pseudo punk than all the pretentious post punk revival stuff like preoccupations and interpol, but even still theyre evolving the genre more than any unwound clones without being afraid to show pop influence

the genre can be shit sometimes - namely Attila, Of Mice and Men, and Falling in Reverse

But when it's good, it's fucking GOOD - pic related

Man that records been on my bucketlist for a while. I mostly just listen to Circa Survive, but that LP is supposed to be fucking great.
Yeah I see where you're coming from. Honestly most of my angst comes from Anthony Fantano's review of Instant Gratification. I saw where he was coming from, but he always seems to gloss over the musicality of any of record he reviews. On the whole, I didn't think the album deserved a 1.

>On the whole, I didn't think the album deserved a 1.

I'm sure a 2 would be fine as well

Yeah you should totally listen to TFOT's latest, it's honestly stellar

Lol! Exactly. Though I was thinking more of a 4. I think it says a lot that he ranked a Bring Me the Horizon album higher than this...

ok was a great comeback, having their prime lineup got me so excited to see them live. Any love for just like vinyl?
that irked me at first but fantano and music reviewers are usually passive listeners who dont get impressed by virtuoso playing and shit like that.Also DGD does tend to be too pop for someone more into noise rock and hardcore punk, especially with tilian as their singer.

youtube.com/watch?v=RMrpi5Z8doc
forgot link, it was thomas band during tfot's hiatus

Acts that are technically proficient are where Fantano trips up. It's genuinely chuckle worthy watching him review things like Gorguts and The Faceless.

Right? Like I understand the virtue of holding back on elitist language in a review, but if you can't on some level find a way to appreciate a songs composition or musicality, you aren't necessarily appealing to the kind of viewer base who want a music review.

thats become kind of the gimmick lately for him. I dont follow needledrop but since i watch a lot of Sup Forums related shit i see recs and he reviews stuff like korn and skillet which are so outside of his normal sphere of listening that it couldnt even pass as legit criticism

I think some of the newer DGD albums are interesting musically but I hate the new singer and the lyrics are so bad. Kurt Travis-era DGD is best DGD.

I can't stand Travis or Craig. Their vocal range isn't anything notable (even Swan and Mingus thought such with Travis), they just have run of the mill boy band voices. Their lyrical content hasn't really changed. It's still the clean vocalist singing a cheesy love song followed by Mess shouting gibberish.

i love post-hardcore. it's far and away my favorite genre. also listen to lots of metal and some hip-hop.

damn this is awesome, moving this onto my AOTY list for sure. any other good post-hardcore from the year? i liked the new stuff from Saosin, Touche Amore, and Dance Gavin Dance a lot

They are garbage. Modern post hardcore is pretty much shit now along with modern prog rock.

These guys aren't close to bringing us Fugazi or Unwound or DLJ material. Why the fuck is their singer a faggot?

A lot of older post hardcore was fuckin great.

The new guy sounds like a faggot what the hell are you talking about. Post-hardcore is supposed to be angry and aggressive. It's like having a fucking rapper as a lead singer in a rock band. You get Linkin Park kind of garbage.

>Post-hardcore is supposed to be angry and aggressive

Listen to regular hardcore, queer

new album is dope, fuck yall

Why is the singer talking about fucking girls and being a sugar daddy you're in a post hardcore band