I'm late for the punk party and I'm not even sure of the sub-genres that exist

I'm late for the punk party and I'm not even sure of the sub-genres that exist.

I started listening NOFX when I was younger, but then kinda ignored punk. Now I listened to Melt Banana and the flame reignited.

These are the only punk bands I like so far. What do you recommend I listen to?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AGus73QF_bQ
youtube.com/watch?v=xieUYXLPZyQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Ax4xMHQZz6A
youtube.com/watch?v=KpRZAafOULk
youtube.com/watch?v=MbD_KegM_mQ
youtube.com/watch?v=E1pVAaGS-oQ
youtube.com/watch?v=T4BlLskdYtg
youtube.com/watch?v=E_RJet8ArzU
youtube.com/watch?v=TQBG7wAVWAA
youtube.com/watch?v=nVYx6B3L9Fk
youtube.com/watch?v=d3uEEe7v5aQ
youtube.com/watch?v=a4NxaFEyTQI
youtube.com/watch?v=IlJK_OzjLE4
youtube.com/watch?v=3MMNsGr8RJw
youtube.com/watch?v=56flbcUqAB8
youtube.com/watch?v=4AP-bPNDCOc&list=PLEpM0JiRCyLaSTXvupL4dNezoDg4s9gNb
youtube.com/watch?v=yvx6V8rsu-I
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Literally anything on fat wreck they all sound the same

Forgot Dead Kennedys, I also like that one.

The Decline is the best thing NOFX ever did.

The Decline is the perfect description of their career.

Leftöver Crack, particularly Fuck World Trade. It's crust punk, since you want to into subgenres.

Early AFI

Not sure i'd recommend crust or d-beat to someone who just started listening to NOFX

If you like NOFX then I'd recommend Lagwagon and Guttermouth since they're both pretty much the same thing as NOFX, but arguably better.
Additionally, to give you a scope of Punk music, I'd recommend a nice range of stuff so hold on:

Midori / ミドリ
Leftover Crack
Amebix
Turbonegro*
Against Me!*
Reel Big Fish*
Rancid*
The Misfits*
AFI* - specifically early AFI, though their last album was alright
Tragedy
Wolfbrigade
Lynched
Jawbreaker

That should give you the standard, babby's introduction to contemporary Punk music, I think. Also, for the sake of history, The Stooges, The Ramones, MC5, Bad Brains, whatever comes up when you earch 'best Punk bands ever' on google.

*denotes the "I'm 15 years old"-core

Don't start, that's my advice. You'll get wrapped up in the political shit and become a pseudo-intellectual libtard.

If he's listening to Melt-Banana, why the hell not? I'm not equating these bands, but Melt-Banana are not exactly easy to get into

>Midori / ミドリ

Is this really punk? Anyway, also listened to this, but it's a bit more meta.
Thanks for the list.

I like the speed and energy of melt banana. A Shield For Your Eyes... is fenomenal.

Don't worry, I'm horrible at remembering lyrics and good at remembering licks/riffs.

>Is this really punk?
Yeah. They're the most out-there thing I listed, besides the 2 or 3 crust/d-beat bands I included. Crust is the big subgenre in Punk right now.
Enjoy.

apart from Midori, Wolfbrigade sounds the best to me so far. The Misfits are incredibly well known by name, but I never really listened to them, quite a surprise. Sounds like Ian Curtis doing punk.

Guttermouth sounds like a slightly better The Offspring, which isn't very good. Will keep going through albums though.

Yeah, Wolfbrigade and Midori are the only two there that I really listen to anymore.
I'll add Cro-Mags too, since I just remembered that they exist.

PEARS - Green Star is excellent and came out on Fat Wreck Chords earlier this year.

nofx's newest album is actually not that bad

Cro-Mags, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Poison Idea, Black Flag

Their new album is really good. OP you should also check out the Descendents and the Bouncing Souls if you haven't already - they both put out albums this year too

youtube.com/watch?v=AGus73QF_bQ

youtube.com/watch?v=xieUYXLPZyQ

youtube.com/watch?v=Ax4xMHQZz6A

youtube.com/watch?v=KpRZAafOULk

youtube.com/watch?v=MbD_KegM_mQ

youtube.com/watch?v=E1pVAaGS-oQ

youtube.com/watch?v=T4BlLskdYtg

youtube.com/watch?v=E_RJet8ArzU

youtube.com/watch?v=TQBG7wAVWAA

Dookie is pretty fucking good. For some reason "The End" is my fav track

Most good popular music since the late 70s falls under the punk umbrella or direct lineage

You know you love me, Sup Forums.

Don't deny it.

I've been wanting to get into modern day punk rock, but the stuff I'm hearing nowadays is mostly limp-dick pop rock at best, calling itself "punk" while having none of the balls. What genre/sub-genre/etc. should I be looking into for something that's fast, loud, and rude, like proper punk should be.

SO HERE I AM

read the thread

youtube.com/watch?v=nVYx6B3L9Fk

I did. Crust punk and a few band names are a start, but I'd like some more to go on. Googling "modern day punk rock" doesn't really give me much.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

Rancid
Green Day's Kerplunk
Operation Ivy
Choking Victim (work your way up to Morning Glory and Leftover Crack)
The Distillers
Streetlight Manifesto (has an ex nofx member in it)
Anti-Flag
Propagandhi
Agent Orange
Fugazi

Mediocre Generica was better honestly....

Don't listen to the Amerifags on here who will just recommend you skater pop emo bullshit.

Start with The Clash if you want to hear proper punk.

Also The Jam, The Ruts, The Sex Pistols and Buzzcocks.

In terms of actual American bands, Black Flag, Minor Threat and Dead Kennedys are good.

All the bands you listed would work equally well in a THPS game.

>crust

youtube.com/watch?v=d3uEEe7v5aQ

youtube.com/watch?v=a4NxaFEyTQI

youtube.com/watch?v=IlJK_OzjLE4

youtube.com/watch?v=3MMNsGr8RJw

youtube.com/watch?v=56flbcUqAB8

youtube.com/watch?v=4AP-bPNDCOc&list=PLEpM0JiRCyLaSTXvupL4dNezoDg4s9gNb

Alright. Easiest thing to do is use RYM or Last.fm, but I'll pull some punk bands out of my library for you. There's gonna be a few randoms here.

American Distress
Bad Religion (should've mentioned them earlier)
The Blue Hearts
The Pillows
Dillinger Four
Discharge
Ghost Mice
The Lawrence Arms
Sick of it All
Star Fucking Hipsters

They're all the decent bands that haven't been mentioned yet that are categorised under 'punk' in my library.
Jungbluth are a decent crust band as well, off the top of my head.

British punk is so fucking annoying and bitchy

That's because anything that was branded as punk, the Tony Hawk makers would just throw it in.

And yet without it a fuckton of American guitar bands wouldn't exist.

I'll give credit where due, but Americans took it, made it harder and made it better. Name a modern british punk band that's worth a fuck.

Exactly, because most punk works well with skateboarding, as they both had, at least back then, a similar mentality of doing the sort of shit that your parents would rather you didn't.

And I'm not ashamed at all to say that I first heard this on THPS2 and I still listen to it: youtube.com/watch?v=yvx6V8rsu-I

The Libertines