Does Sup Forums like country-folk music?

Does Sup Forums like country-folk music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fQK2xFOAxrI
youtube.com/watch?v=nADTbWQof7Y
youtube.com/watch?v=79llXVDWbCQ
youtube.com/watch?v=5S00y75ebq8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowpunk
youtube.com/watch?v=4WXYjm74WFI
youtube.com/watch?v=_nH0zVQSf78
youtube.com/watch?v=V8mO6JVAShw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yeah, if it's good

Who's that in your pic? He doesn't inspire my confidence in the being good category based on that image

Just looks like another dweeb with a geetah to me.

Agreed.

But the same would be said about Steve Albini and other musicians I love so maybe he doesn't suck as bad as appearances would indicate?

josh turner - look him up on yt

he is the man

reaction face goldmine too

I will check him out with as open of a mind as I can manage, but fuck it's hard to imagine he can get the 'authenticity' that I look for in country and folk.

He looks like any number of indie twat Mumford and Sons wannabes

>Mumford and Sons

just remembered that they decided to stop the faux folk bollocks and tried to sound like snow patrol

haha

youtube.com/watch?v=fQK2xFOAxrI

seems p 'authentic' to me, but i'm not sure what you mean

youtube.com/watch?v=nADTbWQof7Y

Where did you find those retarded looking pictures of him?

I hear that song on a near daily basis on the jukebox at the bar, he's def one of the better new country artists

C'mon, you've heard those indie kids with their faux exaggerated southern twangs acting like they have either the life experience or the voice to pull off hard living folk or country tunes.

It sounds fake as hell to me

>Where did you find those retarded looking pictures of him
memer's trade secret palomino

actually now that i see the vid you posted it's a totally different josh turner.

that scrawny kid playing banjo in the vid i posted is also named josh turner.

that contemporary country 'baby lock them doors' stuff is not for me, more of a roots/bluegrass/outlaw country listener.

I just watched the vid you posted.

Kid's not bad, not bad at all. Pretty damn good actually and I hope he keeps it up and finds a unigue voice of his own in a few years.

As for now, I hear more technique than soul and feeling in him, and thats not what i go for.

And wrong or right (just being honest) but his dorky teenage suburban aesthetics just ruin it for me, I can't get past it.

I hope I hear a song of his just audio someday and forgive him that, but now he just seems gimmicky, like those 12 year old child prodigy youtube guitarists busting out perfect slayer covers

I am gonna play that for my indie folk / bluegraas loving roommate though, she'll love him

>that contemporary country 'baby lock them doors' stuff is not for me, more of a roots/bluegrass/outlaw country listene

yeah me too, I was just saying he ain't bad compared to other CMT artists

What do you think of Corb Lund? Maybe it's just being a Northern Plains boy, but I love his traditional minded take on new country and his Canadian spin on it - how he understands that country ain't just something that happens in the south

youtube.com/watch?v=79llXVDWbCQ

I really like the genres that cross country music with punk. It brings a really interesting dynamic of anger, misery and foot tapping tunes together. Bands like The Arkhams and Angry Johnny and the Killbillies sound great. The biggest problem is I can't find a genre to even call it. Some call it psychobilly, bloodgrass, rockabilly but it's all over the damn place. I've been trying to hunt down some internet radio stations but not finding shit.

whhops, meant to post this one

youtube.com/watch?v=5S00y75ebq8

probably already know these bands, but maybe it'll help:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowpunk

quite a few on the list are great

I'll give it a look thanks.

I know very little. As I said I'm struggling to even find a genre name let alone bands.

Listening to The Arkams right now, haven't heard them before.

They remind me a lot (based on this one song at least) of the Reverend Horton Heat. Listen to his first album, i about wore the grooves out of that years ago

You should also check out Legendary Shack Shakers esp the song Blood On The Bluegrass

They sound way more like that band than the 'cowpunk' bands I referenced earlier, although they are good in their own right

They seem decent enough but not to my taste from the like 5 I checked out. Try the WET OST, it's got a lot of songs in that style and you might find another band to try.

only folk punk song i know is 'cold beer' and its kinda good actually

true i can see your point about aesthetics contributing to the experience (rolling stones circa 1972 anyone?) for me that kind of makes it cool though, makes it more accessible in some way. just regular kids playing some good tunes.

havent listened to much cord lund but that stuff you posted was decent

The problem with him is good country music comes from experience. It's a guy with a broken heart, worn hands and a dirty pair of boots sitting by the door singing his story because he has no other way to express just how deep the rabbit hole goes.

When it's some dweeby 17 year old singing it becomes heartless. He doesn't have enough experience to invest in the song. It's the difference between NIN's Hurt and Johnny Cash's cover. One of them will bring a man to tears, the other an edgy teen cuts himself to. Same song, same lyrics but the experience of a man who reached the top, burned out and reflecting back on his life makes it utterly brutal. The lyrics stop being edgy and start becoming a confession of mistakes from a man full of regrets at the end of his life.

Hank Williams was young enough that he could've been under his parents' plan with Obamacare when he wrote a good chunk of his major songs, had he been alive in the contemporary era. Age is just a number.

Only a kid says Age is just a number. A kid ignorant of biology and development of the brain and vocal cords.

In regards to the impact of a song/performance, I'll repeat myself, age is just a number.

Or tell me, to your ears is Cash's (and Cave's) rendition of I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry inherently better than Willaims' because of the differences in age of the artists when they recorded the song?

youtube.com/watch?v=4WXYjm74WFI

vs

youtube.com/watch?v=_nH0zVQSf78

Yeah but one of Hank's friends said something to the effect of 'if you want to know how Hank and his wife are doing, just listen to his current song on the radio'

Also a rural poor young man in the 40's grew up much quicker and harder than a suburban middle class kid today.

You can't fake this heartache:
youtube.com/watch?v=V8mO6JVAShw

For contrast, listen to Jr's work, esecially his early stuff (before he had drugs and partying and southern pride to sing about) - it's Nashville sterile

Or, listen to Hank 3's stuff, his first album was done just for cash and it shows, but you can hear the authenticity in his later stuff

contemporary american folk music and country music are like the same thing

The quality is so different it's hard to compare them. One's squeaky and old, ones rich and new.

kind of an elitist attitude. music is music, those kids play the song better than richard thompson imo

Not an argument faggot.

country folk? you mean like trump supporters?

That has all the more to do with the authentic emotion (or lack of it) put into their songs rather than their age. Blaze Foley and Townes Van Zandt, just for two other easy examples were quite young when they wrote most of what people consider their classics (Townes was writing some of his best songs well before he found alcohol and heroin). Nick Drake was just over drinking age when he recorded Pink Moon (I know this thread is more of a country thread), and had a sheltered life in comparison to just about any of the artists mentioned in this thread, yet his songs are obviously of high quality. The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan was also recorded at a young point in Dylan's life and he was as suburban as it comes in upbringing.

Nah Cash's version blows by comparison

But that song is about intensity of experience, and Cash ani't treating that way.

But age does matter - My Generation was great when young Townsend sang Hope I die Before I Get Old in the late 60's but an elderly Townsend doing during superbowl halftime 50 years later was horrible.

But for hard living songs, yeah, you've got to be old enough to sell the idea you've lived hard.

I find it hard to believe they talented kid you posted earlier could pick out a Black Shadow from a row of bike pictures, and he's not selling the idea (esp watching him!) of how bad he'd turn to get one

My first post in this thread was Age doesn't matter in the vast majority of songs, My Generation is an exception because age is a direct topic of discussion within the song, of course it doesn't work when an old person is playing it.

We're not far off, agreement wise

You just gotta know what you're singing about, and 99.99% of kids under 20 don't know shit except Odd Future / Punk rock shit like 'Fuck School Burn Shit Smoke Weed I Wanna Get Laid' and those aren't themes that work well in country or folk

wasnt meant to be

y so edgy

yes, quite a bit actually

Stop generalizing. Most of Sup Forums are voting Trump and avoid Country Folk like the plague.

I'm guessing you've never seen a political compass thread.

I'm guessing you haven't lurked a recent "Who-Are-You-Voting-For" thread.

i'm listening to the anthology of american folk music right NOW

AMA

Does anyone know artists like Shakey Graves? He's all I've been able to listen to lately.