/classical/

Viennese Classical edition.
Discuss why Mozart, Haydn, and Beethoven are the best composers of all time and your favorite works by them.
>inb4 how do I into classical?
>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others.
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces.
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century.
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix.
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings.
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks).
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic.
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Crudblud stuff
crudblud.sjm.so/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4q8ClARZCJU
youtube.com/watch?v=FjJPNVJJMN4
youtube.com/watch?v=44VDhOucLHg
youtube.com/watch?v=t5U9577N-dQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ZfoCvCxNAw4
youtube.com/watch?v=EvV0nSkfho0
youtube.com/watch?v=giVXGrjqUeI
youtube.com/watch?v=v-WZK1i7-PE
youtube.com/watch?v=_bLXSWvy1Bg
youtube.com/watch?v=L85XTLr5eBE
youtube.com/watch?v=6KtYwRjrsaM
youtube.com/watch?v=IDkAK_Td6mY
youtube.com/watch?v=HZ4k9fxtm1g
youtube.com/watch?v=7EcERd6E0ws
youtube.com/watch?v=A6DJUzB7DBE
youtube.com/watch?v=t4uZvhjQNi0
youtube.com/watch?v=U-pVz2LTakM
youtube.com/watch?v=tkChdHBuoiQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bump

Why is Beethoven so good but Haydn and Mozart effeminate shite?

>Beethoven
Op.131
youtube.com/watch?v=4q8ClARZCJU

Schubert is also the GOAT.

They just had different ideas.

youtube.com/watch?v=FjJPNVJJMN4

Truly glorious.

He and Beethoven

Mozart and Haydn suck tho

>tfw you won't ever be a child pianist prodigy studying in Vienna in 1850

Fuck, the modern classical music world is so fucking shallow.

>tfw you won't ever be a great pianist living in squalor in Moscow in 1910

>Mozart and Haydn suck tho
Shit taste.

WW1 ruined everything

Classical music died with Bartok, Schoenberg, and Ives Deaths

How did Australia end up such an important country for music and how did it fall so far? Also, what's up with all the German?

>Australia
Ives is a meme. Carter is the best American.

Ives and Carter are best Americans senpai

Don't discount the Father of American Art Music

German had an excellent infrastructure built to find and promote the smartest muscians in the country since an extremely early age.
Italy had something similar going on, but the scale was way more limited (notice that Italy became a country in 1861, before that there were a ton on micro-states), also there has always been a prevalent preference on opera music.

Closer to WW2. It died in '82 with Carl Orff.

I have read back in the day Martin Luther promoted music in church so he's inadvertently an important musical figure.

That was relevant too (basically every German philosopher has talked at least once about the virtue of music).

But the infrastructures did most of the job. That's how Florence managed to produce so much superb literature and painting art in just 200 years.

youtube.com/watch?v=44VDhOucLHg

gould's hammerklavier sounds weird

>Gould's Beethoven

That sucks so much man.

is that beethoven on the left?

petzold

>tfw Trump win prediction at 93%

Classical music for this feel

youtube.com/watch?v=t5U9577N-dQ

youtube.com/watch?v=ZfoCvCxNAw4
youtube.com/watch?v=EvV0nSkfho0
youtube.com/watch?v=giVXGrjqUeI
youtube.com/watch?v=v-WZK1i7-PE

youtube.com/watch?v=_bLXSWvy1Bg

youtube.com/watch?v=L85XTLr5eBE

Does /classical/ want to help me make a Starter Kit for newcomers?

I've been slapping together a chart that covers the most essential compositions, recordings, genres, etc. for people who don't know where to begin in the sea of classical records out there.

I think one of the biggest barriers-of-entry to classical music is how fucking vague and broad of a term it is. you have everything from medieval music to modern minimalism, and the 800 different styles in between. somebody could love one of those and hate the rest, but it won't help them any if you just lump it all together into one chart

tl;dr, to be more helpful include style or period in the chart

That one always seemed like more of a collection of CLT's personal recommendations than a list of bare essentials.

I wanted to make something more akin to the genre sub-categories on the Sup Forums essentials chart.

Well, I did make it in chronological order, but I could add some genre tags.

The CLT chart is fine.

There needs to be better recording choices.

It's not a contest tho'

Got suggestions?

Moravec for the Chopin nocturnes and Suzuki for the B minor mass.
Why is Branca even on there? There are more changes that could be made but I'm busy keeping up with this election.
>yfw Trump actually does it

Why are the Czechs so fucking based?
youtube.com/watch?v=6KtYwRjrsaM
youtube.com/watch?v=IDkAK_Td6mY
youtube.com/watch?v=HZ4k9fxtm1g

I want to learn all about choral music. Any books/other resources I can use to learn about choral music

what classical will you be listening to while Trump wins?

>fine
>no js bach (originally)
>No schoenberg
>Zemlinsky for some reason
>Reich
>Michael Haydn
>Vanhal
>various other literal whos while neglecting actual quality composers

The chart is "Look at me I'm a special snowflake: the chart"

its only wagner for the next 4 years at least m8

>Ades
Topo kek

I did have a friend joke that he was going to be listening to Gotterdammerung as the results came out, but I do see something of Siegfried in Trump. And Gotterdammerung is a let-down after the other three parts.

I was listening to some Lassus before I went to sleep so I'll probably continue with that this morning. Perhaps his Laudate psalms instead of the penitential ones.

Schoenberg is the perfect music to represent how fucked up the world actually is.

>implying Schoenberg's music is fucked up

This is the stupidest fucking statement. Schoenberg had a more coherent compositional philosophy than just about anyone in (at least) the 20th century.

Something can be fucked up and coherent at the same time.

Yeah but unless you expand on your statement, then it looks like you're one of the people who think serialism=fucked up which isn't true.

I wasn't implying that, I was thinking about the dread you can feel in some of his stringed works.

Fair

Also sorry for being grumpy, I've just woken up.

youtube.com/watch?v=7EcERd6E0ws

no problem mate

>he got PA
Music for this feel?

I've put on Bruckner's Te Deum

I'm a simple man. I like clair de lune. Will anyone recommend me something similar?

Listen to Debussy's preludes

thanks man

I guess I'll listen to some Reich today. Just for you, Mr. Trump.

Brahms Op. 118 No. 2
enjoy :3

What a day

In the mood to listen to Dido and Aeneas

I'd forgotten how good the sorceress' final line before "But ere we this perform" is. Purcell is da man

Listening to Suoni la Tromba in honour of patriotism and national greatness

youtube.com/watch?v=A6DJUzB7DBE

i don't like harpsichords

>in honour of patriotism and national greatness
sounds like good old special interest status quo propaganda
What's the true enlightened alt-right classical, anons?

why?

they sound stupid

no they don't

>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request

Does anyone have the chart? I want to get into Debussy

Middle works, late works

The etudes, late sonatas, La mer, preludes, melodies, all 4 Images, Lisle joyeuse

Harpsichord = the rock star of classical
Piano = its younger melancholic brother

this is better

i need fanfare for Trump's victory

i got chicago symphony doing mahler's 8th, next up is prometheus: poem of fire

glory be with us

youtube.com/watch?v=t4uZvhjQNi0

thank u all

and thank u as well

Petzold
(Trump of music)

youtube.com/watch?v=U-pVz2LTakM

So Schoenberg is the old jewish equivalent of Linkin Park. That makes a surprising amount of sense.

>Schoenberg is the old jewish equivalent of Linkin Park

What does /classical/ think of Villa-Lobos?

>Don't discount the Father of American Art Music
Copland?

where the fuck is ravels piano works

miroirs and gaspard yo

Pretty good if he's not doing stupid shit

what does /classical/ think of Saint-Saenz?

I've only started getting into classical recently and a lot of these pieces and recordings are ones I've seen recommended highly by various sources so I'd wager this is a fairly reasonable starter kit. I've heard a lot of these but there's a couple I'll deffinitely be checking out and it's cool that you've collected all this stuff on one chart, would have saved me a lot of time if I'd had it 4-5 months ago.

youtube.com/watch?v=tkChdHBuoiQ

>tfw Trump won't celebrate his election with the climax that comes at 5.52

Politicians have the worst taste in music and basically all music that gets played at conventions and celebrations is 100% garbage. Fuck this world.

They just play different stuff for crowds I'm sure. They hire DJs specifically for those situations. Some of them are musicians, like Nixon, or I remember Condoleezza Rice playing Brahms with Yo-yo Ma, and Bill Clinton had his sax.

Good suggestion on the Chopin, but Suzuki's Mass in B, while definitely a strong recording and popular 'round these parts, is far more sluggish than average. Gardiner's is considered a "reference recording" by practically everyone under the sun. Unless the rest of the board really wants it switched over, I'm going to keep Gardiner on for the time being.

As for Branca, him and Chatham fill the Totalism quota. While they certainly blur the distinction between classical and rock, their influence on contemporary classical really shouldn't be understated, and I certainly believe they deserve representation for those interested in hearing how art music has developed in recent years.

Oh, shit, dawg good call.

Thanks for the feedback brother. I'm happy it could help.

Needs some Haydn(piano trios/Trumpet concerto/ String quartets?) and maybe some Gershwin (Rhapsody in Blue/Porgy and Bess/An American in paris?).

I was trying to work in Haydn, but couldn't find a good representative recording, any suggestions?

Gershwin's cool, but who should be cut?

i don't know if it's representative but i like it

>who should be cut?
Einstein on the Beach. Ain't nobody got time for dat.

This
There's also a distinct lack of modernist Americans like Carter and Ives, and no one cares about totalism anyways.
And I like the Argerich recital why is it there? Is it really needed for "essentials"? If it's there for the Liszt sonata there are probably some better candidates for that.

Not sure, who should be cut. I think that personal taste aside, is probably worthwhile to have on there for the sake of representation but if you are replacing stuff, pic related and Bernstein's Rhapsody coupled with An American in Paris would be my recs.

Well if you're complaining about sluggishness, you should definitely go for Gardiner's most recent B Minor recording which takes most of it at ludicrous speeds

Neat. I've never seen this one before.

Ives is on there, but I hear ya. The Argerich recording is pretty damn famous, but I suppose it's not "essential." Chatham can go, but I'll leave Branca for the people with bad taste, such as myself.

I would like to keep Einstein on the Beach on there considering its uniqueness, but it seems unpopular, so I'll cut it for now.

>Crawling in my series, these tones, they will not heal.

I think the most entry level starter kit Philip Glass thing is Koyaanisqatsi anyways. Normally in movie form. Hardly any newbies will listen to 200 minutes of opera audio unless they've already watched his movie.

>Schoenberg
>he shows you the horror of the world wars
>Linkin Park
>they show you how much poor taste can a person have

Different things mate