What's one of the better music maker softwares on the market? What should be avoided?

What's one of the better music maker softwares on the market? What should be avoided?

>music maker softwares

Assuming you're talking about DAWs, my favorite DAW is Reaper. It's super cheap (and you can use the full version for free. paying for it is optional) and very light. The only downside is that it comes with almost no presets at all. No preloaded sounds, very few (shitty) preloaded effects, and almost no preloaded instruments, etc. So you'll have to configure the hell out of it before you can actually make anything enjoyable. Reaper is also reasonably difficult to use, so be aware of that.

Then there's Ableton Live, which is a popular option because it's both easy to use and includes a lot of fun shit to play with. Grimes prefers to use Ableton, I think.

Just don't fall for the FL Studio meme and you should be fine. FL Studio is a joke. It's a very expensive toy.

GarageBand is probably the worst but it's free, so whatever. It's really good for making simple rock music or very, very rudimentary song sketch-ups and skeletons. GarageBand is Logic's younger, retarded cousin. On the other hand, Grimes made Visions in GarageBand, though, so it's not THAT bad.

although it doesn't really matter what DAW you use. they're all pretty capable (except for GarageBand, Soundtrap and FL Studio). just pick a random one and get to work.

why is fl so bad?

I'm not going to use a turn table

I think he was more complaining about your phrasing. "Music maker softwares" doesn't sound right and it's too broad of a term. He's just being a nitpitcky bitch, that's all.

It's overly complicated for what it is. It was designed very poorly and should be much simpler to use considering its limited capabilities. It's intentionally convoluted to make the user feel special.
Also it's like ~$300 which is way too much for something like FL Studio

You have to pay not only for FL Studio, but you also have to pay for updates. What the hell.

Image-Line is money-hungry as fuck. Do not feed them.

The workflow is retarded for a program so expensive.

how are the capabilities limited?

>Also it's like ~$300 which is way too much for something like FL Studio
What's worse is the fact that FL Studio has different versions, the CHEAPEST ONE being $99 and the most expensive being $899

>limited capabilities
Examples?
899 is really just a bundle deal with a bunch of VST plugins, you can get just the daw without limitations for

You don't have to pay for updates, I hate FL's workflow with multiple windows, but don't spread fake info.

It's called DAW i.e. digital audio workstation.

I always thought you had to pay for updates. Huh.

it literally says "lifetime free updates" like everywhere on their site
This thread is really just one guy who likes ableton irrationally hating on FL.

depends on how you like your softwares for creating stuff, the types on interfaces you like.
if you like clarity then i guess reaper is a good choice, as said it

>if you like clarity then i guess reaper is a good choice
please elaborate

reaper displays tracks' volumes/pannings etc at the bottom by default, it opens up fx windows for each track you want to put fx on for example
i dunno, before making music i was creating shit on sony vegas so it was kind of intuitive to me.

I think Reaper is stupidly nice, especially for multichannel stuff, simply because it lets you do basically anything. The whole thing sounds and feels really good too, which I've been told is because the algorithms that power the audio conversion in the code is really really good. Better than Pro Tools. It is difficult to learn though, but only a little harder than any other I suppose.

Like others have said, it depends what you want to use it for. Personally I use Ableton for performing and writing electronic music, Logic for composing everything else and PT or Reaper for recording, mixing and other audio-centric work.

Honestly I've even done a couple conrete compositions in Audacity, it's workflow with audio is very streamlined for altering the audio file directly. I miss aspects of it sometimes but frankly all its effects handling is trash and it just doesn't sound good.
Comes with a paulstretch though.

Couldn't comment on FL or GB. Everything can ultimately be used to make the same music though. Look into each and decide what will probably suit you best. It will take a while to learn whatever you choose, just stick with it.

>Personally I use Ableton for performing and writing electronic music, Logic for composing everything else and PT or Reaper for recording, mixing and other audio-centric work.

Or you can just use one you know, they dont even vary that much to use so many different daws

Eh. I just finished a degree in Music Tech and we were given projects that worked between Ableton and PT, and I've used logic for about 6 years now so it just kinda works for me.