Should i change from windows to linux?

should i change from windows to linux?
what are the advantages?

If you aren't willing to learn how to use an OS all over again, don't bother starting. Installing Ubuntu and clicking your way through it won't teach you shit.

Less NSA sattelites on your neck

No honestly

No

if you have to ask the question then don't do it.

Everything takes 10 times more time and you will spend hours googling how to do basic things you already know how to do in windows.
It's really not worth it.

But hey, at least you have a dozen text editing command line tools like grep that can transform a text file into anything you can imagine, and that you need literally never.

no

0-Trips of truth

Admin fag here. You're not quite true about grep - it is one of the most useful commands, used literally on a daily basis. In Windows - FIND.

bill gates' cuck troll minions detected

i moved from windoze to linux (ubuntu) 8 yrs ago. Its fun and i'm always learning something. i dont need to use windoze for anything, and can do everything i need in linux. (music, torrents, ripping dvds, cds, (when I was a caveman), code..etc) i love never having to worry about cracks, shareware, serial numbers and all that cuck shit.

what do you want to get out of it?
what do you use your current system for?

oh, I also havent need to upgrade my desktop (except for adding more hdds) either. I'm still using a core 2 duo, 4gigs ram, 1gb vid card. I dont use it for gaming...

Advantage comes with knowledge. If you don't know Linux, then there is no advantage.
Windows is good!

Don't do it famalam

are you a gamer?
if yes, then don't switch
are you not?
go for it

Do you play PC games? Stay on windows.
Just browse the web? Do whatever, nobody gives a shit.

Go for it if you want to make every single computing task you do much more difficult, if not functionally impossible.

Not really, you can do more using windows, linux can be an option for an old pc tho

If you have little knowledge on Linux. Just don't

Sure.
But after you learn it it will take 1000 times less. And you will never switch back. You will use grep instead of 1000 and 1 "shareware delemiter remover PRO" utilities.

There is only one huge disadvantage: if you need to use very specific software (like CADs or some electomagnetic modeling systems) or hardware - you still will need windows.

I dual boot my box at home Win and OpenSUSE.

My laptop is running OpenSUSE.

I did most of my uni work on BackTrack.

At work I use RedHat and MVS/IBM z/OS

I said if he has to ask then he shouldn't switch.

The fuck are you on about?

gr8 chart
would recommend ubuntu to new linusfag

No

I'm exactly the same, started using ubuntu in 2008.

It is not as complicate as they make it sound, there is a huge community of people that you can reach on boards in case you need help.
Most external devices work directly, no drivers needed. In case you need a driver, the ubuntu driver is much leaner than the windows equivalent.

Once you get used, you will laugh at your winfags, and all the stupid shit they have to put up with.

> muh spyware.
> muh windows 10 update
>

>if you need to use very specific software
Or ever plan to play video games.

Newfag.

>warty warthog reporting in

Abandoned Ubuntu for Debian around 2007.

Ubuntu is love, Ubuntu is life, brother. Still, you have to comprehend a little IT knowledge to use and maintain that OS. Like me, proud Ubuntu user.

>Not having a Mac so that your computer is nice and you still have access to linux command line tools

Depends on the use-case. If you need a system with gui for any general purpose I would never use anything else than windows by now. For IOT and alle other explicit purpose devices I never would use anything else than linux based.

cant say i miss this

trips checked

Abandoned Debian for Slackware around 16 years ago... no regret at all.

Honestly I agree with saying that if you have to ask then don't do it.

While my old laptop ran 5x better on ubuntu than it did on windows I don't recommend.

A lot of stuff stuff you take for granted on windows are much more technical/obscure on linux

Also my laptop just straight up stoped booting up twice, once i was able to fix it, the other time i had to format the whole partition, including my windows partition

Installing a theme on mint forced me to reinstall it even though i had done it quite a few times on ubuntu

One of the last times i used ubuntu on my desktop it just started claiming that some software was missing even though all i had only installed java and an IDE. I was unable to reinstall any of the packages it was complaining about or to install newer versions

Even editing system files didnt help

When it works it works very well, but when it doesn't work it's almost never an easy fix and you won't know what caused problems to start occuring

If your doing it because you want something new to try, that's how I started using it.

If your doing it because you want free windows, don't. I'm not saying linux can't do what windows does but some things are different and can give a first time user a sour taste.

"a little IT knowledge"
don't ITs just install adobe reader, click around a fuckton, and tell you to restart your computer? what 'knowledge' would you need for that?

Kek

The advantage is you'll get to search for a Linux alternative to every single program you're currently using and none of them will be as intuitive or as powerful as the Windows ones.

What about keeping my old OS on a external RAM and then trying Ubuntu?
I want to be a code hackor

Checked user

Running win10 and cygwin at the same time. Win10 for games cygwin for the linux commands.
Also kali in vm for trolling

unless your willing to learn how computers actually work its not really worth it, especially if all you do is basic interwebbing and pc gaming. Windows is fine,even if you're part of the tinfoil hat brigade, tor and various vpns will cover your ass just fine on windows.

bullshit, never recommend ubuntu, Mint, Xubuntu,...
For new users the best is fedora or openSuse

linux is perfect for basic interwebbing

yeah, but in terms of doing os over haul, There arent that benefits to switching if you're just a normie fag content with doing normie fag things with no drive or reason in going deeper down the rabbit hole.

tr00 dat

Debian bitches

Are there any advantages in changing to Debian, other than avoiding the Unity Desktop Environment?

Usually they donĀ“t change default paths to whatever they want to like Suse or so do. So if you have to compile software for anything special it should go way better without checking the scripts matching your distro. On Top of that usually every knowledge base or forum articles quite match debian dependencies, packages, kernel and paths

any arch linux fag here?

It's a good middle-ground distro. I don't have to compile all my packages or manually handle dependencies, but I still have a huge array of software an apt-get away and can transition to a rolling (testing) distro by editing a file. I can install a minimal version on a Pentium 100 or throw it on my desktop and quickly throw on kde or gnome.

I like to have control but I'm lazy. Debian is good for that.

Think about which activities encompass most of your PC time.

If you are a gamer, stay with Windows, if you are a developer go to Linux and if you do more artsy work switch to sucking dicks.

>Be me
>Use backtrack (now kali) to hack wep-wpa wireless networks, before fern, so all from prompt (airmon-ng etc)
>Use tails to lurk more
>Use mint as secondary os

>Got as far as arch linux setup screen, and gave up

Does Manjaro count?

lel, it took a week for me to install a fresh copy on my old lappy.... i had to practice on a vbox first.
but when its done, shit is sweet.

never heard bout it... is it based on arch like ubuntu/kali is based on debian??

also there is an arch distro for pen-test, called parrot... try it sometime

Noted, ty

looks cool. gonna try it

>Reasons to dual-boot linux
1. You have the time/energy/patience to fix bug immediately after installation where you dont have a wifi connection due to faulty/conflicting drivers, and wont mind switching back and forth between windows and your linux boot to use the internet and stack overflow to fix your problem
2. You are a dedicated developer who wants the large range of tools that come built into the system. You know at least a few programming languages, including (really) C, but also something more OOP like java or ruby.
3. You want to experiment with modifying your operating system (using C or C++) and windows puts you into a full body cast
4. You have some cp on your pc somewhere and your windows install does not offer drive encryption

>Reasons not to dual boot linux
1. You want to see what it is like
2. You want to sound cool
3. You hear retards say things like "everything is free" and believe it

>Reasons to install linux over top of windows

>Reasons to believe everything that a bunch of uneducated retards are saying on Sup Forums
1. Only a fool... would suck my mothafuckin dick

The second part was a bit ambiguous, i meant to say something like, "reasons to avoid linux altogether"

Had mint on laptop for years. No complaints.

I've done it on my laptop. I only use it to work and for internet.
I installed LinuxMint and I'm really happy with it.

Good reasons to install it :
-Easy to use
-Free without having to crack it
-Works on every computers without lags
-Everything you need is already installed
-Good looking

Reason not to install it :
-Impossible to play every games
-A bit less applications

What else need be said?

Tfw no slackware

You can run windows inside linux/ubuntu in Vbox. I personally like linux because the apps are free and imho equivalent or sometimes better than win apps. There is also little viral threat. It's more secure. ".exe" files don't run unless you tell them to and use a windows emulator. Safer browsing.

There. Simple and to the poing. Good explanation user.

Linux is virus free, stable and you can customize the whole OS.

Windows has a lot of virus, so if you're paranoid with getting virus, linux is a good choice for you. But Linux is not a OS for gaming, and even if you configure wine some games can still run slowly.

I have both OS in dualboot..

install gentoo, faget

but in all honesty, linux is better than windows in pretty much every way except for gaming support, which is rapidly improving.

try linux mint or ubuntu first, then move up if you want to learn, or like a challenge. i, for one, use slackware

I use all os systems, Linux sucks for home use my colleagues use it as Dev boxes. I use a MacBook because of iOS app development mobility etc, not fond of it but less retarded.

Windows at home box runs like a charm for 6 years only replaced hdd with ssd, Windows can into games without winecumbreath, Linux is fine if you are into hobbying with tech, but I have a life.

As you state as admin, do you run all your servers on your local box? Never heard of ssh? Ssh works from every single os no need to run it locally

Those whiners about shareware and spyware, it is just that you are too handicapped to read about software before installing? I mean before you type your apt-get/yum install I am sure you googled the name of the correct package

This is the kind of shit I was talking about here:
more specifically...
not all of the apps are free, not all are "better" than win apps (VLC, for starters is ultra buggy on Linux, despite being open source), and "viral threat" has nothing to do with .exe files

Not virus free... just less likely to get a virus. Android is linux based, and it is covered in viruses. The way to think about it is this... imagine you are a hacker. Either you hack to make money (ransomware etc) or you hack to cause malice and pain (whitehats excluded here). What audience do you want to attack? The small percent of users using linux? Or the gargantuan userbase using windows/android/etc? The OS with the most viruses will always be the most popular one, but no OS is "immune" to viruses

"better than windows in pretty much every way" for dedicated developers*

Switching operating systems is a giant pain in the ass, and linux, while it has its upsides has a steep learning curve.

Another drawback, kiss gaming in any real capacity good-bye (inb4 wine).

If you're really curious and you don't want to fuck with wubi/grub, install virtualbox and run linux on it. You can do that while fapping on Sup Forums.

kek this fucking meme

If you can't think of any, don't.

Just install VirtualBox on Windows first, then install Linux to a vritual machine and try it out. If you like it then switch.

4 years, checking in

If all I do is browse the internet, listen to music, watch movies and play old emulators, should I make the switch to Linux? Or am I better off with Windows?

If you are sane enough to not download every single program that scrolls by I don't see why you would want to bother with Linux which sometimes has issues you don't even want to worry about, don't break anything but just bother you.

if steamOS takes off then I'd recommend linux for pretty much everyone. Until then, dualboot if you play a lot of AAA games, keeping a small windows partition to be a game slave, then do the rest of your computing in linux.

>YFW 90% of what people do on personal computers is browser-based so none of this matters

Go ask Sup Forums

Switch, maybe you will have to lurk hard to find the emulators, but you will do all that things faster

Adminfag here too. I use win32 version of grep. Got it from a zip archive UnxUtils. Works like a charm

For the casual user, it's not a big difference. You click an icon for a web browser, you click a different icon for your games or word processor, and what happens under the hood is invisible.

Linux is a good choice for older computers with less processing and memory available. It'll help you squeeze a little more time out of an old laptop.

But if you have newer computer, there's not really a lot of difference.

>Go ask Sup Forums
Let me save you the time.
"Install gentoo."

Well that's what OP should do