What does Sup Forums think of Bluegrass? I've never seen it talked about it...

What does Sup Forums think of Bluegrass? I've never seen it talked about it, & after listening to some Flatt & Scruggs I'm interested in the genre now.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/e9G7aJVGORM
youtu.be/QNOY5zE6IAk
youtu.be/1ZRL9uQ_NFU
youtube.com/watch?v=g-oTuPADMMg
youtu.be/RBb9OZhTUSI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I enjoy The Infamous Stringdusters, Sarah Jarosz, and all of Chris Thile's projects.

So pansy ass new age "newgrass" then

I guess so

Check out the early Bluegrass Boys records, Reno and Smiley, the Lilly Brothers with Don Stover, and the Stanley Brothers.

youtu.be/e9G7aJVGORM

youtu.be/QNOY5zE6IAk

youtu.be/1ZRL9uQ_NFU

I grew up with bluegrass d00d, it's a shame it never gets discussed here. I really dig Doc Watson, Norman Blake, Tony Rice, David Grisman, and in terms of Newgrass, how could you not like Chris Thile's projects.

Insufferable garbage, but I can see why it is liked.

Thile's approach to bluegrass is humorless prog-wankery and does nothing for me.

I really like this album

Don't mind me, just being the most entertaining Bluegrass album of all time here

I mean I can understand how you might think that about his Kid A covers, but he still makes music with a wide range of sounds from more traditional bluegrass, to poppy tunes, to rockier tunes. In my opinion he's got a little something for everyone. But yes, the fact that he's such a technically skilled mandolinist can make some of his songs sound robotic and wankish.

That's a good 'un

I see what you're saying, but his playing just doesn't do it for me. For the new school progressive kind of stuff I prefer someone like Andy Statman.

those were some funny guys

>I really dig Doc Watson

Doc was a fucking genius...saw him play 3 times and he ruled. youtube.com/watch?v=g-oTuPADMMg

Yeah man, I got to see him at the Philly Folk Fest one year, he was really old and had someone playing with him, but it was still awesome.

bullshit ive been posting bluegrass generals for the past week

welcome though

Doc also played rockabilly and straight-ahead old time music when he felt like it. He was a good banjo picker and harmonica player too. This tv recording of him, Fred Price, and Clint Howard playing something between bluegrass and old time music is worth watching.

youtu.be/RBb9OZhTUSI

Check out Hank Williams I'd say it's pretty blue grassy. Definitely worth checking

looking into*