Are there any writers on Sup Forums? What are you working on right now?

Are there any writers on Sup Forums? What are you working on right now?

writing a post on Sup Forums atm

"Replying To A Faggot"
By user

I am writing a story about a person going slowly insane as he eats his dog

How's that going?

I'm a writer, though I'm a student and pretty shitty. I've been working on a book for a few months, a few rough drafts. I haven't made much progress recently.

"The legend of a faggot"
By user

Pretty good, writing another one. 1 person responded to the one I just wrote so I think it's a succes

>I'm a writer, though I'm a student and pretty shitty. I've been working on a book for a few months, a few rough drafts. I haven't made much progress recently.
>I'm
>shitty

I'm shitty.

I just broke down your post into something simple and too the point. You should take some notes.

Im rewriting jeff the killer to make it less shit

and the script for an rpg maker game with some friends

>rewriting jeff the killer

Motor cycle club from Oklahoma named Bungalow Opossum Haters (O is silent) campaign for Trump.

me too dude wtf

Does Sup Forums have any tips for writing characters? I want to write some choose-your-own-adventure type text games, but I don't know shit about character archetypes, or just how to make detailed, in-depth people.

>make it less shit
Kek

amazon product reviews, a short story for fluffybooru

Holy shit dude... You almost got quints

Woah... do it again man

Mein kampf 2. The return.

Waiting for publisher responses on one fantasy novel, 60 pages left on a children's novel (think Michael Ende or C.S.Lewis or Studio Ghibli) and choosing between starting a "Dark as fuck trilogy starter" or a "High fantasy fairytail in same style as previous books" for my next project.

story of my life - always come up short

Shut the fuck up you inbred ball of fuck-matter. I get so sick of faggots like you adding unnecessary commentary to quality replies. Quints is something that you are born with . Not something you get on accident.

Give it out to other people who write and have a study circle where you talk about plotholes and where you can air ideas. Don't forget to also make damn well certain to tell eachother what stuff is actually good so that you can continue exploring that. It'll help a lot.

(Source: Been doing it at a university level for 5 years, about to start 3rd novel)

a novel. I am reading Thus Spoke Zarathustra and I have some ideas of my own about the supermen

A few tips:

1. Write characters with only one defining trait and let the rest grow from there.

2. Read TV-tropes

3. Try to write dialogue as a warmup. Decide that you have 2 characters that are supposedly different and simply write oneline dialogue stuff (or more) between them. There's no extra direction, no extra note-stuff etc. Just a bip-bap type conversation:

"Hi!"
"huh?"
"I said hi."
"Sure."
"You ok?"
"uhu."
"...."
"What?"
"You sure you ok?"
"Yeah yeah, fuck off will ya."
"Uhm...."
"Fucking weirdo."
"Hey!"
"...."
"Hey wait!"
"..."
"I'm fucking talking to... HEY! Don't walk away! Come back here and... fuck. Fucking weirdo!"

That should teach you basic characterisation for simple characters, and it should also help you know what to pick out for characters when they act and think and feel.

I would read it. If it never gets finished, permission to steal the premise?

Start taking them down in a notebook, writing by hand, for me, always helps me just spin off completely and keep discussions on the page. From there, you should be able to just keep churning out ideas until it's time to put them together and eventually onto a digital format.

>O is silent
Bungle Opposum Haters?

>waiting for publisher responses
>fairytail

I cant write fast enough, and I almost have carpal tunnel from masturbation. I type okay, though. I have considered doing this, but every once in a while I happen upon a file with a bunch of shitty ideas at it and then I cringe and cry... the good ol' cringe'n'cry...

writing my 15th book

Denied faggot

You should just stick to your story for now and try to make it and yourself less shitty. Just keep writing. I'm writing a book for over a year now but because of lack of motivation I only got like 12 pages done so keep writing. Also try to show your book to some people that you trust and read a couple stories and books for th learning experience and inspiration. Trust me. Some day, you will be proud of your work

Yes? Scandinavian fantasy has stagnated completely into nearly only YA Urban Fantasy over the past few years. I intend very much to shake it up and there has been a lot of popularity about norse and european fairy tail mythos, sagas and eddaic mythology lately. Ergo, a more fairy-tail based fantasy should be about right for the current cultural meta.

(Hell, even God of War 3 is based in Norse Mythology, and then there's that ultra-popular Scandinavian Harry Potter School Concept Art thing going around)

>trying to make jeff the killer less shitty

just drop it and work on something good and creative

Never throw old shitty ideas away, they might develop into something else. Maybe there's SOMETHING in there that, when inserted into something else, suddenly turns useful.

Hell, I had a whole, useless plot about a dead man not knowing he was dead that, even before I got to him, I realised it was utterly pointless, but the most basic part of the idea stuck around and turned into something very, very different that carries about half the novel.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODS

So where do you guys start? Have an idea and write it down? Do you come up with an outline or list of characters and then flesh it out or what?

Some fantasy story that isn't actually another toklien clone.

MODS, REMOVE.

I'm a want to be writer btw. I just don't know where to begin.

Games Journo here, just finished writing up my review of Grand Kingdom to hit the embargo. It's pretty gooooooooood.

I basically come up with a small idea, note it down so I don't forget it, and then I keep returning to it and expanding on it, both on paper and in my head. And when I feel I have everything I personally need to start writing.... I postpone for WAY too long. THEN I start and I just hammer through every page. Sure, there will be stops and drops and complete brick walls, but eventually, something will have been made.
TLDR: I find the core of the story, it doesn't matter if it changes over time, I find it, and from there, the story grows. THEN I start writing.

Basically that. I started with just the two protagonists I wanted and then developed a world for them to live in and gave them a social status (like working in..., homeless because..., creating...) and then the plot developed from there. Just a couple more charekters for the protagonists to interact with, a little twist to spice things up a little bit and you're good to go

Do you outline the plot from beginning to end of just see where things go once you have the characters and some sort of conflict or motivation to shape the story?

How detailed a core (or skeleton) are we talking? Like a basic premise... Plane crashes and survivors find themselves stranded on an island. Or something more intricate... This character falls in love with this one but character x isn't happy with that.

Any books that you all would recommend on the topic of writing fiction?

Most times when I think of writing a story, I already got some key events ready that I really want to be in the story. The beginning is the next step for me because you have to start somewhere. The ending just comes to my mind while I write the story but mostly I also have some ideas for the ending and I use one of the ideas or just let them mix for a completly new ending

Terry Pratchet is always a good author, when you want to write entertaining and creative fiction. Also the guy who wrote Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy. I can't remember his name

As much as I hate it.... Stephen King's book on writing. It really does give you most of what you need. I've had to read it three times over the course of five years, so I am intricately familiar and utterly bored with him and I disagree with a lot of what he says but...:

It's a damn good book to start with.

Finishing my thesis, you plebians

Douglas Adams

Good for you. What's it about?

Douglas fir

Thank you. I really enjoyed his works and it really shaped my style of writing

Chemistry. Waste of 5 years.

But you could go all Walter White. I bet with the right equippment and the ingredients you could make just enough drugs and alcohol to make the five years worth it. You can also be the smart guy in bars and impress some dumb chicks.

Generally, I start with something like that. Like, "Ooh, I wanna write an island survival thing", probably because I watched Lost or saw something when I was out and about or somesuch. And from there, I start to ask myself what about the island survival I wanna write. Do I want something mystical? What should it be? Is there some really important thing about the main character that I want? Maybe he should be like Mark Watney, yes, I like that. Mark Watney island survivor with... with... hmmm.... Oh yes, I know, there's something going on with one of the other survivors... Wait, other survivors, how many are there? Maybe.... three? Three seems good, I don't think I could juggle seven, or maybe I could, if I didn't focus too much on the others.

And off the mind goes and goes and goes.

And when I feel that I know sorta what kind of story and where I want it to go, I can start thinking about writing.

The main problem with this method is that you have sort of Scenes or important areas of the story that are very clear but.. getting to and between them is a challenge, at least for me, and that is usually where I get stuck for days or weeks on end. Between great storybeats, because I can't have somebody murdered in chapter 4 and chapter 5 starts with a trial for the murder IF I want the murder to be a mystery (or, actually, bad analogy, it can work out exactly like that, but basically, the REALLY big story scenes tend to be so dense that, without splitting them up, the book would span 80 pages at most and have terrible pacing)

Meth is easy, user. And girls don't care about smarts at all.

Then write something based in chemistry. Write crime or drama or something else entirely. Write scifi.

Use what you have to create something that doesn't exist. That's what we do. We writers. We lie and make things up that aren't there, for otherwise, there would be only the stories of true reality.

But some care about meth and after 5 years of pure chemistry I think you could actually produce some quality stuff. Why did you decide to learn chemistry though?

Nice and true words user

How do you all start with your stories? Do you focus on just writing short stories or just writing big, noval worthy stories? Or do you write some short stories and form a story out of them? I'm stuck in my writingprocess and would appreciate a few tips

I basically write a synopsis that gets more and more thurough through discussion with myself on the pages of my notebooks.

Also, when I studied writing, I had weekly handins on different themes and topics and styles, which kept me going with material other than my novels.

"But yeah, it starts with an idea (as I said before), just something small, and from there, it just keeps on branching and growing and branching and maybe I want something else? But do I really? That first plot thing is kinda good. But I do want to add this in... where? Maybe one of the existing characters could do this? Yeah, that sounds nice."

And that is basically how page upon page of my notebooks look. Summarised thought on scenes and storybeats and things about the characters or worlds. I get to know all of it, and then I just hit the page.

I almost never go back to read what I wrote in the notebook (once I start writing), but I will come back to yet another blank paper page and keep writing new things as old ideas in my head won't fit, or as sudden gaps in the story appear.

I also take the help of former classmates and good friends whom I ask to read and tell me what doesn't add up, what questions they get from reading, and also what they really like, and I adapt and adjust.

Remember, when you write something, once it's on the page, the interpretation of it is out of your hands. Nobody reading it is ever wrong in understanding it (even if they are seriously stupid and ignorant about what's RIGHT THERE), it is you who must reformat it, reword it and remake it if you wish to confer something other than what they read. Once it leaves your hands, it's only ink on paper, or ones and zeroes, your head and the cartography inside of it doesn't go with the book.

Partly my own, but based in a philosophy I've acquired from Neil Gaiman's speech: "Make good art." it is a wonderful, wonderful thing and can be found on youtube.

Thanks. I will look into it

Thank you. This kinda helps me with my problem.

You studied writing? I also wanted to do that. How was it for you?

Loved every minute of it. Went to two of the countrie's best schools for it (two years per school) and before then I did take a sort of similar one-year thing at uni as well.

What it does is basically teaches you to break down the elements of the different genres as well as learn to see the structure of story and characters.

And then you start writing things, and responding to it. There will be talks with larger groups about everybody's texts, where you break them down, analyse and discuss them. Not on a "Is this bad or good?" sort of level, but more "Ok, so what did we read, what happened, what was good about the plot and characters, what's worth keeping, are there any plotholes" etc.

And that continued for both novels that I wrote at those schools, and that was honestly one of my best assets for completing and tying the stories together.

I actually want to read these two novels now. It sounds really great though. I hope I get accepted so can improve my writing skills as well

Well, one of them's off to publishing companies and I'm waiting for answers (at least I seem to have passed the 10-workdays boring mass-printed letter that 5 of my classmates got when they sent theirs, so that's hopeful).

The other one I didn't complete (and wasn't allowed to take as a project at the following school, since it was too close to done), I have about 40-60 pages and an edit or two left on that one. So that is my major summer plan.

And who knows, maybe you'll pick it up if it ever gets translated to english =)

Wrote a book about psychosis, its 213 pages.

I hope to get an issue someday even though I surly won't know if it's yours. Also hope that your book becomes succesfull. Maybe not like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings succesfull but enough that you can make a living of it :)

I'm most certianly hoping that my books will give something great to kids and teens and adult fans of the genre (or adults forced to read it out loud twenty million times over). I write to tell stories I feel need telling, or that people need to hear.

So hopefully I'll reach as many people as possible.

And if the more adult fantasy novel does get published with its current name, it'll be called Hikaya.

Good to know. I will keep an eye out for it