Hi friends

Hi friends,

As promised earlier in the week, here's my interview with Piero Scaruffi: radio.adelaide.edu.au/interview-with-piero-scaruffi/

I had way, way more things to ask, but he said he was quite busy and could only chat for "20 mins max" so I had to totally change what I was going to ask and I was a bit thrown off, but we ended up talking for like 35 minutes. Also, for some reason he could hear himself while talking to me, so sometimes there is a little echo but it's not super bad.

My show is on next week, and I'll be playing some stuff he's chosen and some stuff I've chosen which I've found through reading his music reviews. Anyway, I hope I don't sound too dumb. Enjoy.

thank you for your work OP

thanks OP! will give it a listen as soon as I can, saved the link

this man is still alive? dammn

Holy fuck op you actually pulled through here.
You're also an aussie.
How did you get the interview though?

You sounded too fanboyish a lot, but at least it was interesting to hear the meme man himself speak a bit.

why do so many people hate scaruffi nowadays? the man clearly has an independent, original taste and doesn't just spam reviews of top 40 albums 3 weeks after release based on what everyone thinks about them
I bet all of his haters haven't even listened to a quarter of his favorite releases
otherwise I guess you just have to be european to understand his tastes, sorry

wtf I love scaruffi now

good

Thanks, hopefully it was ok. I emailed him, explained my show, and asked if he would be up for an interview.

I tried not to fanboy, apart from the first bit of course, maybe it's just how I sound.

How did you get involved with that site? Does your program get broadcast to radio?
Also are you involved with the local music scene besides just that site?
I'm kind of inspired right now.

I liked it as much as I like scaruffi
so pretty much

Wait you're with Latitudes? As in the record label?

I like Scaruffi, but read the whole bjork page he wrote.
I dislike bjork very much, but this page tells a lot about him.

It's a community radio station here, most places all over Australia have them. Radio Adelaide is (I think) the oldest running station in Australia. The university owned it (they sold the building our studios were in and control of the station a few months ago, so we've had to move everything to new studios), and through my degree I had the chance to do a course where 10 of us would make a show every week. It was super fun, so when the course ended, I kept doing it, and eventually joined this program where I get to play 90 minutes of whatever music I want. Yes it's broadcast on FM radio, and digitally too (as you can see).

I'm not involved with local music at all.

good job OP. he doesn't sound like he's the kind of guy who's easy to interview but I think you did well. I could see you put a lot of thought into the questions, they were all on point.
If I have to criticize something then it's true, you sounded a bit too fanboyish but that can't be avoided, I mean it sounded like you have genuine admiration for the guy.

Very nice.
I'm in melbourne so I don't know if it's any more difficult especially without a degree.
I saw your programs schedule though, pantera to huun huur tu to black saint and the sinner lady.
What's your audience like?

If you're in Melbourne, just find a community station, and email/call to go in and learn how to do everything. It's not very difficult, and the main hurdle is getting the courage to go on air and talk. Luckily, since pretty much nobody was going to be listening to our university show, I wasn't very worried about messing up. The show I do now has 3 different presenters, the last 2 shows I did were interviews with people who also picked the music. I dunno what the audience is like, or even how many people listen, I just play whatever I want and talk about it and try not to make an idiot of myself too much.

I asked them all in a kinda weird order/way, since I had to cut like 80% of my questions out since we didn't have a huge amount of time, but thanks. I do have an admiration for how much he writes and how little of a fuck he gives about what anybody else thinks of it, even if he is quite baffling sometimes.

I haven't listened yet, what did he say about Divers???

He hasn't listened to it yet :(

Not gonna sit through 30+ minutes of garbage like this, did he answer any questions about how he seems not to listen to some music that he reviews?

he has answered that long before this interview you turd

Where exactly?

Does the interview acknowledge Sup Forums at all?

(chirping crickets)

you bastard

find it yourself fag

it's not hard

I asked him if he knew how popular he was on Sup Forums and reddit and RYM etc.

Finally somebody found it

So he hasn't addressed it, then, I take it.

yes, he has, you're just too lazy to find it yourself.

he addressed it in emails and also on one of his FAQ pages on his own site

Then just show me a link, shouldn't be too difficult, no?

no, I'm not spoonfeeding you, fuck off and die

>No, I refuse to present evidence that supports my claim
kys

>being okay with being stubborn

you're not even the real Hampus you waste of sperm

this is Sup Forums, not a debate class

I have no obligation to present shit you

suck my dick

>you're not even the real Hampus you waste of sperm
But I am

>I have no obligation to present shit you
And as such I have no obligation to take anything you trust seriously or even believe you

he's very arrogant and pretentious

you don't have to believe me. that's your problem.

I knew scaruffi was Italian but for some reason I didn't expect him to have such a thick accent. Good stuff though, like his reviews

well yeah I get that. still it's pretty nice that of all people you decided to interview scaruffi. he's kind of an internet thing, did you expect people at your uni to know him? how did people react

Damn, you weren't trolling after all. Good job!

1. Hates all my favorite music
2. Writing style is pretentious
3. Doesn't even seem like he enjoys listening to music
4. ratings make no sense (will trash an album and give it a 7, but then another 7 praised to hell)
5. He wants to marry 12 year olds

I did the interview yesterday, I finished uni last year, so they werent related.

I'm pretty pathetic, but I'm not pathetic enough to troll on Sup Forums

where did you get that last point from

Given that 99% of people are trolling, I'm pleasantly surprised.

>5. He wants to marry 12 year olds

Whats wrong with that

this
it's even less verificated than his reviews

. Hates all my favorite music

that probably means you have shit taste

Anyways, OP here, thanks for listening if you did and always open to feedback

Just finished listening to it. If Scaruffi forgetting the Can albums in the end isn't proof that he doesn't even listen to the shit he reviews, I don't know what else can convince the scaruffi drones.

I was a bit disappointed about that but the guy listens to so much music and keeps track of so much other art forms that he probably doesn't get much time to listen to albums he likes. I definitely don't remember much about albums I haven't listened to for years.

he's reviewed literally thousands of albums and Can aren't even in his top 100 all time, can you really blame him for forgetting? I forget shit I listen to just a month after I listen to it sometimes.

I just listened to the whole thing, this is gonna be paraphrasing, however:

>when you were asking him about Divers, and he said he hadn't listened to it, and then you brought up HYIMW, and he hadn't listened to that either
>"Well, I am really excited for your review/to hear what you think of it!"
>"...Okay."

kek, it's so obvious that Scaruffi didn't give a shit at all and probably isn't even that interested in listening to those yet.

I also like his comment about the idea of jazz being dead, it seems like he's implying that he actually likes where jazz is going (or at least think it's better than rock music right now) which I think is interesting because these days all you ever hear about jazz is that it's "dead" but Scaruffi seems to have some faith in it. I remember he had a top 20 jazz list for last year, I should check that out.

Thanks for asking about the liner notes. Seems like something he'd easily forget about, since he has difficulty remembering many of the albums he's listened to.

Well done, OP. Was an interesting listen