Sup Sup Forums

Sup Sup Forums

Has anyone read the GoT books? and if so are they worth the time investment?

also, how do the books compare to the show? are the books better?

I think they're better than the show but martin will never finish them so there's no point to reading them. Even if by some miracle he finishes them before he dies in 5 years the show would have already spoiled everything.

i read the first one but stopped after that because it was to similar to the show which made it kind of boring

If you have to ask, don't even bother reading them

Didn't read, tho
But the books are always better. If the books sucks, there is no series/movies to start with.

we will get the winds of winter but there is no way that fat fuck is getting a dream of spring done before he dies

yeah thats what im thinking the books are usually better....

What makes you think Martin will be dead in 5 years?

The first book and first season are almost the exact same, they slowly begun to diverge. They have the same major plot points, but the way they get there is different. I heavily prefer the books, but that is just personal preference.

They are better than the show. I've only read through once but going to have to again. It's a shame GRRM let the show overtake the books, the books had real potential to be a timeless series. Now the show will twist the back story and possibly even influence some of his writing..

Also Stannis isn't a monster in the books like they made him in the show. Which is cool cuz I'm all about Team Stannis.

Yes.

Aegon Targaryen VI is alive

true, too much fat

Same thing happened to me, but I kept reading and on the second book there subtle differences with the show that grow through the rest of the books, making it very different and enjoyable

that's what disappointed me about the harry potter series... Rowling was in too much of a fuckin mad rush to get the 7th one finished because of the shooting schedule of the movies which is why the ending to book 7 was so horrendously bad... like srs Ron and Hermione together? Rowling even said herself that was a mistake lol...

turgid at best. boring fucking undergraduate tripe at worst.

I started the first book but dropped that shit because Martin can't write for shit. Makes reading Tolkien almost exciting by comparison

An exception to every rule

the entirety of book six was just a rushed bandaid to fix all the plotholes and bullshit for the rest of the series, then she killed dumbledore to make sure there was some big ending so the movie would do well
seventh is literally just a camping trip scavenger hunt

depends, the books meander quit a bit before they get anywhere, and when they do it very sudden and usually violent with almost no lead upwhatsoever
ie red wedding
martin has stated that the shows will vary alot from the books, sure maybe hes just trying to keep people buying the series, but im still hopeful

This nigga gets it. Cardboard characters in abundance, the show solves this by putting a face to every name and having actors breathe life into the characters. Plus all the purple prose of the novels is consumed much more effeciently through sets/wardrobes/other immediate visuals.

>when they do it very sudden and usually violent with almost no lead upwhatsoever
>ie red wedding
No idea how to wrap up a sub plot? Just kill everyone!

>consumed
Conveyed*

diabeetus

Reading these was the biggest waste of time I've ever encountered. Martin is such a hack author who has no respect for the reader. I'm convinced he started the series as a writing experiment back in the 90s by putting characters' names in one hat, locations in another, and plot points in another and drawing three slips of paper to write his chapters. You spend hours and hours reading boring trivia that never comes back to matter.

If you must read any, read only the first book and then stop. Then imagine an ending for yourself, but don't bother with any others.

Read the Sword of Truth series for a much better fantasy series.

Anyone here read frequently? I've been trying to get into it to kill time. I just started reading "inferno" by dante (don't remember last name), and it's really enjoyable. I'd love some suggestions of anyone has any.

I enjoyed them. The last 2 were just okay, but the 3rd is one of my all-time favorites.

the story is good but martins writing style is boring as fuck. he gives so many unnecessary, pointless details it just makes me want to stop reading at points

Kurt Vonnegut. All of them.

How they were able to make a show out of his writing is beyond me, maybe I'm retarded but I couldn't for the life of me understand what point he was trying to get across or what kind of picture he was trying to paint so to speak 90% of the time.

>I think they're better than the show but martin will never finish them so there's no point to reading them.

exactly what i tell every person that tells me i should read the book. wtf is the point of reading a book series with no ending? thats just retarded.

No read something by arthur c clark

Bump

Is this bait? Sword of Truth is half Brook's jerk-off fantasies and half uninformed politics.

GoT is better, fucking wheel of time is better, even the dresden files are better.

I like this. Honest WTF about the series.

Thanks, I'll probably go to hastings this weekend and see what they have

Or go to the library. All the books you could ever read for free.

>Brook
Think you've got the wrong series in mind, m8

This so much.
The more I read the books the more disappointed I was.

I'd say Tv series > long ass boring books.

Don't waste your time, op.

Mistborne series

Sanderson has that world locked down

Yeah I guess there's always that too. With my job I'm prone to getting things dirty though and dont feel like paying for it if I fuck it up

to be fair while he has fallen into this rut of doing this
the red wedding was still a pretty big deal at the time, no one saw it coming and it ended what was one of the main leading plotpoint of the books at that time and changed everyhting

if he wrote it now it would just be par for the course

Sword of Shannara was trash, too.

But you're right, Sword of Truth is full of Goodkind's jerk-off fantasies.

if you like fantasy
start the wheel of time series, 14 books in all iirc
rather long but amazing world building.
and with a series fucking finally in production, now would be the time to become a fan before the bandwagon gets full

great books but sucks fat rr martin will never finish em

This

The show's pretty much the fat free version of the books. I prefer it, but that's simply down to me preferring more streamlined and visual mediums. I'd recommend reading the first, if you like it, continue, don't, well it's kinda obvious

i wouldn't say this is the exception though.
even if the books aren't all what they're hyped up to be the show has been progressively getting worse at a faster rate than the books.

how do people like the mistborn series?
ive read them all, and kind of like the new wax and wayne ones
but the original trilogy is just shit.
bad characters, boring ass plotline
only thing it has going for it is its magical system which ill admit is pretty interesting concept

Name of the Rose by Eco
Lord of Light by Zelazny

he's 70 and looks like he considers a quart of gravy for a cheeky bedtime snack