Who the fuck is this guy

I've literally never heard of Leonard Cohen in my entire life. Even normies are mourning his death.
Someone red pill me

He's the Kanye West of Folk.

>red pill me
how about you go on wikipedia instead

He's a poet who decided to start making music and became the greatest singer-songwriter of all time.

You're a fucking sheltered retard then and have no place on a music forum

That's the most retarded comparson I ever heard

Besides being a professional poet, Leonard Cohen also created a body of musical work that proves him one of music's supreme poets. The fact that his lyrics are among the most accomplished in musical history is actually a mere footnote. What makes him such a great musician is the gentle and shy atmosphere that emanates from his folk ballads. Cohen watches life go by "like a bird on a wire", but turns the stories he sees into metaphysical visions of a Dante-esque world and into profound meditations on the human condition. His existential philosophy found in his colloquial style a vastly more effective medium than the convoluted prose of many of his century's philosophers. The Songs Of Leonard Cohen (1968) were drenched in infinite tenderness, barely whispered and discreetly arranged. Cohen's unique style triumphed in the fragile lullabies of Winter Lady (flute, harpsichord) and Sisters Of Mercy (rattles, accordion, xylophone), that sound like good-night songs for children. Turning from social tragedies to individual tragedies, Cohen merged the tone of the medieval minstrel (Donovan) and the tone of the visionary preacher (Dylan). Songs From A Room (1969) and Songs Of Love And Hate (1971) increased the dramatic emphasis, but fundamentally continued to swim upstream, against the prevailing attitudes, carving a niche for a kind of subdued, lo-fi, intimate, personal dirge. Thanks to that invention, Cohen can be considered one of the most influential singer-songwriters of all times.

>I've literally never heard of Leonard Cohen in my entire life
are you from Mars or something

sad contemporary folk man
inspired sisters of mercy if youre into post punk trash

im just as shocked as you are. when my normie friends started mourning a folk artist i knew i was missing something

>Even normies are mourning his death
>Even normies

Ok this is the second or third time I've seen someone on Sup Forums surprised that Leonard Cohen is as well known as he is. Quick poll, do you guys really think he's this Sibylle Baier unearthed gem musician? Be honest.

When did you start browsing Sup Forums?

I mean come on dude not even hallelujah? Have you never seen Shrek?

Its just that ive never heard a song of his on the radio, in mainstream media, or anything. Hes never been a household name. You only expect deaths of musicians to reach the front page of reddit if theyre popular amongst normies. Now this man ive never heard of ever dies and everyone is talking about it.

yes i have. I just went a listened to a bunch of his songs and I really dont recall ever hearing any of them

>sisters of mercy
>trash
kys

This sounds like a pitchfork review

Before his death, he was talked about here pretty much every other day. Lurk more.

Seriously, I never heard of him before either. At first it was only my musically interested friends posting about him so I thought he was some obscure dude.

Then everyone started posting and it's making headlines.

Just kinda like "what"?

>all times
>the fact that
Yep, definitely p4k

In Canada at least, he's very well known, especially with K. D. Lang's cover of hallelujah at the Vancouver Olympics. Could just be that you're not Canadian.

>have you never seen Shrek

pretty much sums him up for me

never really heard of the dude outside of the odd mention here and there, and the fact that he was the guy who originally wrote Hallejulah.

maybe it's an american thing.

Wrote poetry in the 1960s in Greece, then picked up a guitar and became the greatest songwriter who ever lived.

No it's by the Italian pedophile.

He's the guy who wrote the sad Shrek song.

Fuck off /r9k/pol/