OST of Vidyas

How can one be so superior to the others? I haven't even played Fez, and this works pretty well as a standalone album.

What other masterpieces are there hidden in the sea of trash that is videogame soundtracks?

Focus on the music, the source material or the quality of it is irrelevant! Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/kPyrFgvgrzw
youtube.com/watch?v=Mda-nEem4fM
youtu.be/1Zmmw4MMUWM?t=1m49s
youtube.com/watch?v=TXyTGIaKP-w
youtube.com/watch?v=JsqLxdZx-cw
youtube.com/watch?v=daI0CFZa9Ww
youtube.com/watch?v=QAA6hq9RL-4
youtube.com/watch?v=ntd4FPQJX1w
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Choke on it

>the source material or the quality of it is irrelevant!
that applies pretty well to the original Midnight Club's OST. Dom & Roland and Surgeon, some top producers of Drum & Bass and Techno respectively, were commissioned to do it and it was so good that they eventually did individual releases of the tracks on vinyl. Dom & Roland even remixed one of the songs (Soundwall) on a later release.
youtu.be/kPyrFgvgrzw

>the sea of trash that is videogame soundtracks
Music isn't bad just because it's part of a video game.

disasterpeace is good, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece

soundtrack sure is a lot better than the game though

never even implied that tho. I just said that there is a shitton of bad music in the videogame industry that people pass off "decent" just because the source material was great.

Street Fighter IV music, for instance, is pretty mediocre, and it never intends to be anything else. The game is good, and the music evokes comfy feelings because of the association of the music and the game.

I hope I explained myself.

donnou man, this shit is very close to some good releases of glitch and ambient.

I'd say that for an OST, is pretty masterpiecy.

You just think it's bad music because it's part of a video game.

literally the opposite of what i said but k

You think video game music is a "sea of trash." The reason obviously being that you think music is bad because it's part of a video game. Which is a common delusion.

I sincerely think that most OST's, including movies and shows, are pretty bad when examined as standalone pieces. They do not intend to be good, they're meant to accompany the game/show/whatev. This thread is about OSTs that are good by themselves, just as () pointed out.

From op:
>Focus on the music, the source material or the quality of it is irrelevant! Thanks.

>I sincerely think that most OST's, including movies and shows, are pretty bad when examined as standalone pieces. They do not intend to be good, they're meant to accompany the game/show/whatev.
You are a moron. Please stop posting about music.

sure :^)

Fez is fucking great, what are you on about, nigger?

this is pretty gud desu

>tfw you finally realize death is the best track

I thought it was pretty lackluster.

youtube.com/watch?v=Mda-nEem4fM

Here is another game with a soundtrack that is a lot better than the gameplay.

shit that's great. Never heard of this game before

>I thought it was pretty lackluster.
This didn't clarify at all, tell me how it's lackluster.
I bet you're just aping the Phil Fish is evil faggots.

Remember that strictly speaking, OST can mean any music used in the media whereas score implies that the music was created specifically for the media.

Ridge Racer Games
Loco Roco
Bastion
Wipeout Games
Crysis 2

Vib-Ribbon
youtu.be/1Zmmw4MMUWM?t=1m49s

Some games use music as a part of their gameplay, other for the atmosphere, ect
I think when it come to soundtracks it's really important to keep in mind how the music is used in the source material

Minecraft Alpha and Hyper Light Drifter are fantastic

He's right though you dipshit
Music should evoke emotion you see on the screen, it's closely bound to the gameplay and general scenario
it's weaker on its own because you dont have the original source that guide your imagination

Thanks for clearing that up. My bad.

holy shit this is great

>He's right though you dipshit
No he isn't.

Video game music is just music. It doesn't magically require the game and doesn't magically cease to work when the game isn't there or when the listener hasn't played the game. It isn't necessarily designed to be unnoticeable or to closely accompany something that happens in the game. A lot of video game music you would never even realize belong to a video game, or it could be transplanted to a movie or TV show without anyone noticing.

I've never played this game but it's still a great song:

youtube.com/watch?v=TXyTGIaKP-w

If you heard this on the radio you would have zero idea that it has anything to do with video games:

youtube.com/watch?v=JsqLxdZx-cw

This is just loading screen music, it doesn't accompany anything:

youtube.com/watch?v=daI0CFZa9Ww

but that's what I said though.

From a previous comment:
>there is a shitton of bad music in the videogame industry that people pass off "decent" just because the source material was great

Source material is irrelevant when discussing Scores by themselves.

Also said:
>This thread is about OSTs that are good by themselves

That being said, that second example was bretty gud

>there is a shitton of bad music in the videogame industry that people pass off "decent" just because the source material was great
I don't think I have ever seen this happen.

You're just biased against video game music because it is video game music.

If you're a fan of Japanese music / Shibuya-kei Katamari Damacy / We Love Katamari are two solid game soundtracks in their own right.

youtube.com/watch?v=QAA6hq9RL-4
youtube.com/watch?v=ntd4FPQJX1w

>if you don't like all music from a certain genre, you hate all of it

yea m8 b8

You are biased against video game music because it is video game music. That's simply what's going on here.