Is it better to learn jazz theory to understand why you enjoy a certain jazz album?

Is it better to learn jazz theory to understand why you enjoy a certain jazz album?

I like A Love Supreme a lot. But i can't explain why i like it besides saying
>It sounds good
>I like how it's played

These posts are so fucking autistic you don't need any other reasons you faggot

>These posts are so fucking autistic you don't need any other reasons you faggot
Ok. Enjoy a board of mindless drone spewing the same opinion with no reason.
Man. Sure shows how intelligent. And how deep you are into theory.

you just admitted that you know nothing about theory who are you to talk lmao

I'll try to ignore the arguing above me.

I've just been getting into Jazz/Jazz-Funk and I don't think learning jazz theory would affect my views on any of it.

But if you do have an interest in jazz theory you should take it up. I'm sure it'd be a lot of fun (I'm taking Music Theory I in college)

*gong crash*
DE-DE-DEEEEEEEEE

I love some memes
I love some memes
I love some memes

>you just admitted that you know nothing about theory
>>>>assuming

I'm done here. lol. Run off.

Don't worry op you aren't alone in wanting to understand music.
I tried reading some books but my god it's so fucking hard to understand.

>fuck you for trying to think about music critically
you're the reason why this board is so shit you dilettante pleb

this. really though what's the best way to learn Jazz piano? I've been playing for about half a decade so I'm kind of getting good but I still can't into jazz piano.

Even if you know nothing at all about music theory, if that's all you can say about why you like it then you're retarded.

How?
You don't explain?
I hope you die of cancer.

You can't say things like "I like the part three minutes in", "I like the parts where it slows down", "I like the way the drums sound", etc?

Honestly, if you're incapable of talking about the music you're listening to by its constituent parts then no amount of theory is going to help you.

Do you know any music theory? Can you improvise? Not necessarily in jazz. If not, can you write music?

Really, if you like it, then you like it.
I like Jandek. Most people don't.
There's a guy on the Jandek documentary that said, "If you don't get in the first 15 seconds then you won't get it at all."

Whatever...

There is a church devoted to John Coltrane as being the second coming or something like that. He was a fan of Coltrane's jazz and attended it (San Francisco, of course). But after a few times, he realized these folks were for real and he felt like he was an interloper/impostor just in it for the yuks (though he was into Coltrane seriously) and quit going out of guilt.

If you like the music then great. If you want to find out how it was composed then learn theory. I think the Cure works that way for me. Some of their stuff just really moves me but on paper, it's rather simple and yet... it still works on the emotional level.

>not comparing The Cure to jazz, but they could pull it off at times...

I think student's of jazz appreciate the music more from just being familiar with the styles and conventions and sounds rather than knowing theory per se

just learning to play a song or figuring out the chords and harmonies by ear gives you a certain appreciation for the music, but I think much of the same can be achieved by listening to jazz enough without really knowing the theoretical concepts behind it

An Accountant who had to take a single music class because college requirement here.

I took a Jazz history class. While the music theory (although limited in scope) was the foundation of the class, it was the historical context which Jazz evolved in that made me appreciate Jazz.
Our professor would play 3 different Jazz records and explain the historical significance of the record etc.

Classical music, West African song culture, Creoles, Blues, Swing Era, Bebop revolution, and more stuff I forgot about where what shaped Jazz.

As long as you can distinguish what Jazz is, I say stick to listening to Albums and if you're curious enough, read about their context

>You can't say things like
>"I like the part three minutes in"
What do you like about the part three minutes in?
>"I like the parts where it slows down"
What is aesthetic about this
Rallentando? Unless you enjoy EVERY SINGLE rallentando in ANY POSSIBLE music, it's not a valid critique to say "i like the slowing down".
>I like the way the drums sound
This isn't a valid critique either. You have to articulate and substantiate what specifically makes the drum sound "good".

Yeah I wasn't suggesting those were examples of fully rounded music criticism - I was saying they were the first baby steps and OP is apparently incapable even of that.

I like the jazz I like because it's free, it's expressive, and because even dissonance can be musical.