Sup Sup Forums any programmers out there? I'm learning to code in C++, my first language ever...

Sup Sup Forums any programmers out there? I'm learning to code in C++, my first language ever, been trying to do it for a month or so but I am a very lazy person and just started learning on how to make a program that will use operators( &&, ||) and statements like "if, else ..."

I really like programming but I am always missing inspiration and I feel I need like just that 1% of inspiration to get me going...
Tell me Sup Forums do you program? How long have you been doing it, what is your favourite programming langauge? Share your opinions, talk.

Other urls found in this thread:

codingdojo.com/blog/9-most-in-demand-programming-languages-of-2016/
hackertyper.com/
hackthissite.org/
programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/241104/programming-language-vs-markup-language-vs-scripting-language
party.zimonh.nl/?page=buttonssmall
party.zimonh.nl/?page=buttons
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Start by learning C first you dipshit.

Don't start with c++. Learn stupid shit like Java first and work your way up.

That is some dogshit CSS, OP.

fucking nerds
pls kill yourselves

You've been programming for a month and you haven't used an if statement? Or any logical operators? This is a big problem. You're progressing too slowly.
Write something interesting and complicated. Big projects are how you learn the little details. You can refine yourself later, but you need to make yourself create first.

I've heard from many experienced programmers that it doesn't matter with which language begginers start the only important thing is to actually start and get deep into it.

The best thing to do is build something that would interest you... Look up stuff on how to do it, other people's code and just break it down piece by piece. Buy some books and check out Lynda.

thats CSS fucktard, of all languages, not even a programming language

Coding is pretty tiresome and demanding, I've found. I don't really know C++, but you might want to try learning JavaScript in Codecademy first, I've found that foundation to help going into other languages. I think it also helps to put your coding along with something you like. For example, I've been hacking and modding GameCube games recently, and it's been enjoyable.

Yes, as I said I am a very lazy and a very busy person I have only 4 hours of free time and I have to divide them to: gaming, chatting, learning to program.

I just looked for the first picture that looks like a code.

This as well. Hacking at existing code will teach you quite a bit. Never stop hacking at shit.

I would not start with C++. Start with Java or Swift or Javascript.

Started with C but I currently have a job working with Java and some occasional javascript.
Just do a comp sci degree if you want to have a job in it. I found the structure or formal education helped me to learn it, if I didn't have grades to get I wouldn't of bothered doing half the shit I did. Also some other stuff you may learn in a degree besides programming is useful to know

Well I started to do it because I wanted to make a simple shutdown program which I later learned I could make a simple batch file, but what the hell I was already kinda into c++ so I stayed and now progressing slowly.

That's a picture of a CSS sheet...
But it gets the idea of a code thread.

Dude, just try out python. Google "python tutorial," go to the main Python page, and they have a really good introduction.

And you must be a lazy fuck if you couldn't even google a picture of C++ code, cause god knows your dumb ass couldn't make your own.

But what and how am I supossed to hack when I for an example open a program and don't know a single command from it?

Cmd
Shutdown -s
End

Python requires original Windows version, which I have but Python is being a dick and I'm too lazy to make a complaint or some shit.

Although I did try Python and it seemed very simple.

>
>Yes, as I said I am a very lazy and a very busy person I have only 4 hours of free time and I have to divide them to: gaming, chatting, learning to program.

Seeing your attitude, I'd say you are not fit to write code.

>a code

I wanted to get started with embedded programming, so I got myself an ESP8266 WiFi module and started working on bugs in NodeMCU source which mostly uses the C language.

Another option, You could always get an arduino (C/C++) and learn programming that way, there are a lot of resources for helping newfags learn to program.

But
I want the user to enter amount of minutes he wants to which would require a program that will also calculate and change seconds to minutes + I wanted an graphical interface aswell, with a nice little box...

Use an online interpreter.

>lazy
>missing inspiration

It's not for you.

I've been writing code since 2009 and I'm currently working on my masters degree in Computer Science.

Favorite language at the moment would be either Java or Python depending on what I'm making

>a code

>spotted the 15yo haxor-wanna-be too dumb to learn shit

It's not for me.
I know.
But I want to fucking make it for me.

>so funny

25 years coding. C++ is a shifty first language to learn. I'd recommend Ruby. There are some good online free courses and it's actually a somewhat useful language.
Also, you need a fuckload more time than you're willing to spend.

There's already an application for that. It's called 'Wise Auto Shutdown'

re-usability is a key factor in the proper way to be a developer. Don't recreate the wheel when it's already been made. Make something new or see if you can find something that is open source and add to it.

not even trying to be funny, simply stating what i thought that probably reflects the reality

>operators( &&, ||) and statements like "if, else ..."

is this a gringe thread?

Also programming in itself is nothing tbqh, try to learn some general programming paradigms first (you do not need a programming language for that), then learn basic algorithmization, then learn math...

I wanted to make it for myself it was like my little challenge that I would work hard for and then after that just continue making newer, harder and better programs.

>not even trying to be funny
That was a close one.

I beg to differ. You ever work with PHP programmers?

Do you think any sort of engineer or most any other real profession had ever said 'I want to make it for me'? It's a passion. Do it because you found it and you enjoy it. If you want this for yourself then you need to read some books on it. If you can't get yourself to sit down and read a few hundred page books about this then it isn't for you buddy. Go get yourself an art degree.

All this shitty advice. Actual programmer here to tell my tale. I was like you, once. I kept trying to learn c++ over and over again using websites and shit, but would grow bored. Eventually, what I did to get it to stick and learn that I actually loved programming, was give myself actually interesting tasks. I started with Python, by the way, and moved on to c++ after that. You'll find python to be a lot more forgiving, and intuitive, than c++, but if you decide to start with c++ there's nothing wrong with that. Anyways, you teach yourself a few concepts. For instance, some basic arithmetic operators and if/else statements, and then assign yourself a task that would use those that isn't trivial (at your level). For instance, you might have the user enter two integers that are less than 10, add them together, and print something out if they're less than ten together, greater than ten, or greater than 15. I know that example is pretty shit, but you'll come up with stuff you find interesting to do. If you can't do that, I recommend the book "Python programming for the absolute beginner" It's cheap as hell, easy to read, and has actually interesting challenges at the end of each chapter to put your new knowledge to the test. Again, I can't stress enough how important these challenges are. It'll help you retain the knowledge, keep things interesting, and actually give you some programs under your belt that aren't just copy-pasted straight from the book or site. Good luck, bro.

Again, bullshit. Fucking around in an easy language for a while will tell you if you like doing it. You can learn the theory once you're interested, not necessary to do it before.

Good point. IMO the best developers are the ones who are extremely materialistic, elitist, and egotistical. The rest of the others who are trying to "make the world a better place" and actually mean it when they mention that phrase while talking about their product are shit-tire programmers who should go back to basic labor.

This is such a bullshit attitude. This guy clearly wants this to be a passion, and he is trying to make it his and embrace it. But this dogshit idea that you have to be "passionate" or naturally talented is absurd. If that were the case all anyone would ever do is jerk off and eat candy all day because we are naturally good at it. Discipline and work ethic go a long way in creating passion. If you want something you have to work hard.

I have not. Also I haven't written a single line in PHP.

I do indeed enjoy it once I get into it.
I am currently reading a book that is written in my langauge.
I read the page, type the code in IDE
Re-think it, see how it works
Ask myself questions like "What if i put this here and remove this from here?"
Then completely delete everything and start all over again, not copy pasting but actualyl doing it, switching shit everywhere.

I disagree, C++ is more useful and more widely used.

I was on the same boat, OP. Then I remembered Homer Simpson's : "If something is to hard to do, then it's not worth doing."
I've never programmed since.

Holy fuck this could be like
the most amazing quote on life and shit

Thanks a fucking lot. Really helpful tip and I really like the idea where I assing myself tasks (which i've been already doing but not that much, only 1 or two per a lesson)

Arduino is actually a really helpful way to learn the C/C++ platforms and it has interesting applications as well.

Idk, kinda helps to think about the way your code is interacting with the real world as well.

... and now I'm flipping burgers and shitposting in my spare time.

recommend python also, very basic, very powerful.

Here you go: codingdojo.com/blog/9-most-in-demand-programming-languages-of-2016/
Though I wouldn't call SQL a real language, it's still kind of essential.

Coding isn't for you. If you only have ~ 4 hours and are a lazy shit you will never get anywhere.

OP go on youtube and watch Makinggameswithben you'll learn a lot of mew stuff easy and hes not a monitone loser.

How do i use goto in html?

You don't MAKE something your passion you fucking retard, You see it and it just IS a passion. I never said anything about naturally talented. And if you aren't passionate in being a creator, and you just want to tinker; then go for it. But you won't get anywhere substantial and you will have wasted days (24 hour chunks, not just a few hours of your day) of your life trying to like something because you wanted so bad to like it. I was going to Double major in EE and CSCI, but guess what? I didn't have the PASSION for EE like I did CSCI, so I dropped it. If you don't have a passion then you don't learn the ins-and-outs that make a good piece of software what it is. It's like an inartistic fuckwad trying to be the next best graphics designer, you have to have some sort of inclination towards what you're doing or it's gonna be a rough road. There is the possibility that you may come to like it; but it's like an ugly girlfriend that cooks and cleans well. You get used to it, but it's not what you really wanted once you get down the road.

Btw, it's said that it requires 10,000 hours to master something. And coding isn't like riding a bike. You can't take a break for a few months and expect to be what you were when you get back at it.

>More widely used
yes

>more useful
no

If you know what you're talking about then you're probably 30+ yrs old and this is a good joke. Otherwise, you're a faggot

SQL is part of the logical paradigm. Good if you're going to do things involving any sort of server communication (job related or exploitation); otherwise don't waste your time on it.

.NET dev here. Worked with several languages in the past. Java, C, Arduino, PHP, C#, ASP.NET and all the stuff that comes with it. I've done C++ for a semester too. Most of the languages are easy to get into but C++ might be a little more tricky as it lets you manage your memory yourself and doesn't do any kind of cleanup after you.

In whatever way you want to learn is up to yourself. If you learn best by trying, falling and getting back up. I'd suggest starting with a different language and then switch to C++ when you're ready. If you have zero experience and look for a language which is really easy to get into.. start with PHP.

Some people just prefer to learn a language itself and rather not switch. All I can say is.. If you want to study to become an actual developer.. Do the first because there's no way you'll ever "just develop in my one preferred language". (I'm a live example of that as I've been hired as an (ASP).NET developer and I'm currently developing in Javascript and PowerShell for some nifty tools)

If you need ideas or inspiration to develop look for jame gams and enter those contests. It doesn't matter if you win or not, but if you do it might be a motivational boost :)

My last advice would be: Build something you love and you'll love to build.

Oh and btw.. Programming is much more than just writing code. A lot of the work is research, designing and architecture. I'd suggest researching on some techniques like UML, Agile (if you're working in teams) and Functional- and technical designing

>I am a very lazy
>Help me be a programmer
>I have 4 hours, but I have to do gaming

Fuck off

It's more important to read the paragraphs, then the code snippets. The paragraphs tell you what the code is doing and you can go back and forth. Malik is a really good author. Most of his books actually require 2 semesters in college to cover, but if you can get through one of his books (like C++ or Java; approx 1600 pages) reading every page and doing most exercises then software development MAY be for you.

>Logical Paradigm
Scratch that, I was thinking of Prolog which works very similar to SQL as they are both based on query type of things where you tell the program to do things rather than defining how it should do it.

1 hour a day is enough for the beginning.
Anyway, you need to get a hook. I wanted to make games, so I always gamified my excercises, or remembered about the goal. I've failed many times, but now I'm better than ever.

Also realize that when you're learning then it's for the sake of learning. It doesn't matter if your tic-tac-toe is shitty, if you can bring it to the end. At the end you'll know what was shitty, write better version, etc.

Also, don't listen to faggots who tell you that java or javascript or shit like that is good. Java sucks big time.

One of the best languages out there? C/C++(speed, teaches you pointers and how the machine works), Perl(good for one-liners), bash, awk, and sed(since you use them a lot, although these aren't really programming languages, these are your basic tools), (common) Lisp(elegance, simplicity, minimalism and the power pythonists couldn't even think of promising you[macros!]), Ruby(decent language), Haskell(elegant functional language with nice strong typing).

Java sucks, because single paradigm(enforced, not as good as marketed), boilerplate, some retarded decisions and shitty coders that are using this language.
Javascript sucks, because it's insane, many idiots have access to that, and it's growing into Java2.
Python sucks, because Guido doesn't know what he's doing(although python sucks less).

If you had 3 languages to learn, I'd go with C++, Common Lisp and Haskell/Ruby(second option if you want a job).

As for me - I've learned C++ first. It's okay, not insane. Just keep progressing and you'll be fine. Take pride in your work and if you do something, try to do it well(but not too well).

Don't start with javascript. You will make me spend like 3 hours on stackoverflow explaining where your "[object Object]" came from.

Author of the post here, forgot to mention - all of these 3 bad languages look good next to PHP. My brain didn't even want to bring this horrible abomination into my mind.

To me assembler is best language, but then I'd rather take something apart instead of put it together.

all the inspiring I've ever needed was wanting to know why /how something works.

I'd say java is the easiest language, because it dose the tidying up for you.

C++ will let you do more, but dose less for you.
C is in my mind better for low level stuff, but don't worry about that for now

Listen to me, don't start with c++, learn Javascript and html+css, or processing api. Trust in me.

Ps
> I have only 4 hours of free time
>gaming
maybe this is what you're looking for
hackertyper.com/

Program a waifu AI.

of course CSS is a language, as is html. ppl need to stop being so fuckin elitist.

OP. choose whatever language you like. just make something.

Do this. I know a lot about java but I'm still a student. Once you have a good grasp of what you are doing in java you should start learning other codes such as c, c#, c++ and python. You should focus on languages depending on what kind of a job you want.

Don't ask me why everything says NaN then. Javascript is awesome now, but it requires a discipline that it will not teach you. Further adding html and css as your first languages, you are going to get bogged down with the details because they all have 20 years of history lessons behind them before they make any sense.

Lel. Talks about C++, but pic is CSS which isn't even a programming language. XD

It's markup. It's not programming.

Kids need to stop being so fucking retarded.

ruby is nice.

javascript/css/html is ubiquitous.

never program C for anything more than neckbearding douchbaggery.

markup is programming.

Learn Java. Everything runs on it. If you know Java, you can know anything. And no, Javascript and Java are nothing at all alike. Although, JS is nice to know too, it's just a lot more basic, and limited in its uses.

>CSS
maybe this is what you want?
hackthissite.org/

>Tell me Sup Forums do you program?
Yes
> How long have you been doing it
I started when I was 8. That makes it 18 years.
> what is your favourite programming langauge?
Ruby

if you're lazy you're not gonna get anywhere.
I'd recommend starting with Python or Ruby, then work your way down as you gain more understanding.

I said js html and css because is quickly to see results, and you don't need to install any shit, notepad and any Web browser and done. Also chrome have all what you need to learn.

"Markup languages are not considered as programming languages."

source:
programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/241104/programming-language-vs-markup-language-vs-scripting-language

Computer programming is basically like learning another language but before you can learn about it you first must consider what you want to make computers do. Do you want to be a game developer, a web administrator or a database administrator? What do you want to do with your knowledge of computer programming if you had any? If you don't know what you want to do then think about it. Maybe computer programming just isn't for you if you don't have enough inspiration.

No. It is not.

Markup uses a LANGUAGE, but it is NOT programming. Markup describes the way something looks. CSS and HTML are markup. Programming tells a computer how to do something. What are you programming in CSS? Nothing. When you have conditional statements and variables, you're working with a programming language. HTML and CSS do not, as they are merely used to describe the appearance of something. Markup rides on the surface of programming languages, which actually tell the computer to do something.

thisssssssssssss

don't start with c++, you're too dumb still.
learn something easy like javascript or python first, then move onto something object oriented like c#....then you might be ready for c++

Java is not a single paradigm you fucking retard, It isn't even purely OO

Assembly is the language, assembler is what does the work

This guy is fucking retarded and only does webscripting. Don't listen to him.

This fucking tard

Front-end shit is for basic herp-a-derps. Maybe that's all his brain capacity allows for. Don't knock him for it... ;)

web coder-designer here
PHP (javascript html)

I made this button game yesterday:
Mobile: party.zimonh.nl/?page=buttonssmall

desktop:party.zimonh.nl/?page=buttons

PHP is fun and all, but you're not gonna make any real money in front-end. End of story.

don't start with javascript

You're destined for failure. Programming isn't something you half ass, if you were passionate about it, you would know more than the first chapter of any fucking programming textbook after a month. Learn CSS or HTML and leave the actual programming to people who give a shit.

Kids these days don't remember BASIC.

10 PRINT FUCK YOU NIGGERFAGGOT
20 GOTO 10

I dont know about that user i learned c++ well without c

OP, a lot of programmers are lazy as fuck when they first start out. With little skills comes one of two things, either very little inspiration or far too much inspiration which leads beginners to convince themselves they are able to create a whole program that lots of people will use. I was a member of both of these camps for a short while when I first dipped my toes into programming near on 10 years ago, but I quickly learned a technique that helped me get better quickly. Whenever I wanted a simple tool on my computer, maybe a more user friendly shutdown timer, an alarm, etc, I'd make it myself instead of downloading one. Because I had a genuine interest in having these things it gave me good motivation to finish making them, now I make a lot of the tools I use on my PC myself. I'm no professional and I'm damn near docile, but I managed to get good just by doing projects that were small enough to commit to sensibly but just complicated enough to push a little on my boundaries. I started with Basic, moved to Java, then started using C too. Start with whatever language you like, don't listen to the language elitists.

Same guy...as a matter a fact i c++ was the first programming language and im going great at it...im just not handling object and classes well