Post 'em

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/~pilps
4chanmusic.wikia.com/wiki/Essential_Charts
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection
youtu.be/ter0p_iyIxk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>How to get into Swans
Cease this insufferable meme. If you are too attention-deficit to listen to the albums in chronological order you should just stick with listening to singles.

This isn't rocket science.

If you haven't listened to these guys you're welcome

I hope you're trolling because if not you fell for the chronological order meme harder than anyone I've ever seen fall for a meme.

If this is a troll though here's your (you), now fuck off

I started with Filth.
Love Swans now.

AC for all my newdudes

>fell for the chronological order meme
Ineffectual rhetoric. Unless you are listening in order to do some sort of musical or cultural analysis (spoiler: you're not) you gain absolutely no insight into the band by listening to their output sporadically than you would have if you had listened chronologically, observing their development. You cannot refute this.

>If this is a troll though here's your (you), now fuck off
No. Stop perpetuating this childish culture of instant gratification.

Thanks for sharing.

Prime example of why these charts are completely useless. If you actually wanted to get into a band, you would listen in order. If you want to be spoon-fed genre recommendations, you can take a hike to RYM and stay there.

holy fucking shit dude

are you the new unty?

also
>pretentious attention whore tripfag

(you)(you)(you)(you)(you)

Friendo! Are you still in the 'scow?

I predate unty, and we have nothing in common.
>pretentious
You are using this word incorrectly.

I am indeed, we should get a drink some time.

>drink
not 21. Where can I message you, we can meetup though.

You can message me on RYM -> rateyourmusic.com/~pilps
I'm pretty busy with school and work, and I have a good friend visiting through the weekend, so I won't really have much free time until the break (I'll be gone parts of November and around half of December visiting relatives).

Turn 21 already !

>rateyourmusic.com/~pilps
I shot you a message! See you around.

Reminder to just ignore the useless tripfags and just contribute content, please.

I actually just finished this right now. I've had kind of a fun time going through their discography and have found some decent stuff along the way (especially Gold & Green, Gamel), so I figured I'd share.

>implying that for artists with discographies that span multitudinous genres it is better to start "from the beginning because muh development" rather than starting with an album that associates more to a genre you are familiar with in order to help you be able to grasp concepts already familiar to you as well as sounds unique to that artist so that when you listen to albums that belong to a genre you are more unfamiliar with you at least understand the aesthetic of the artist and can have an easier time grasping the music.

No people have to listen to music exactly the way I like!! No one can listen to music any other way!! WAahhh Wahhh Wahhh!

>Thanks for sharing.

thanks for the condescension asswipe. If you didn't want to see flowcharts why did you come to a chart thread

>I predate unty, and we have nothing in common.

except for being autistic manchildren with zero self-awareness

>pretentious You are using this word incorrectly.

Implying telling people to " take a hike to RYM and stay there" isn't pretentious, lol how fucking retarded are you

>we should get a drink some time.

I HIGHLY doubt you are old enough to drink.

You are one of the most unbearable tripfags I've ever encountered on this board. Please take your computer and smash it, then call your internet service provider and ask to cancel your plan.

Wouldn't most people be completely turned off AnCo if they tried to dive right into STGTSV though? I feel like it's not a bad idea to start with a band's more accessible/acclaimed music and then dive deeper into their discography, especially with a band like AnCo who got a lot more accessible over time.

Oh shit sorry this is so low rez it's useless

you're useless

just for the sake of argument,
won't you agree that charts could be helpfull with artists who have a vast amount of input spanning into several decades and genres like Keiji Haino for example?
in this case you can pinpoint important releases showcasing sides of the artist you like and give you a visual represantasion of how projects may connect with one another.

self made chart, a little outdated but it works

I've actually been meaning to listen to more than just Torch of the Mystics.

I'll throw you a message when I wrap up here.

>useless tripfags
I have contributed more to this board (from a cultural and constructive perspective) than 90+% of anonymous posters.

>muh development
Ineffectual rhetoric.

> in order to help you be able to grasp concepts already familiar to you
...which would be better accomplished by following the development of the band while concurrently researching how the "concepts" you are "familiar" with came to be from both a contextual standpoint (other bands // artists) and how the band either adopted these concepts or contributed to them. You are supporting my premise for me.

>except for being autistic manchildren with zero self-awareness
I am not autistic, and I am completely self-aware re: Sup Forums.

>Implying telling people to " take a hike to RYM and stay there" isn't pretentious
I'm not implying, I'm stating it outright. You do not appear to understand what "pretentious" means.

>I HIGHLY doubt you are old enough to drink.
Thanks for sharing.

>You are one of the most unbearable tripfags I've ever encountered on this board.
Then filter me, if arguing with someone who can support a dissenting opinion is too much for you to bear.

>Wouldn't most people be completely turned off AnCo if they tried to dive right into STGTSV though?
Nothing would be lost if this were the case.

Ignoring that Keji Haino is not an artist I enjoy, possibly. If we're talking about someone who has made dozens upon dozens of releases, or an artist who is being explored for a more academic understanding of content with little regard to context, these charts would theoretically become more useful. However, most of these listeners are not doing so for these purposes, and these charts do not appear to be made with this in mind.

Agreed.

>I predate unty

kill yourself tripfag

ON TOPIC YOU FUCKING RETARDS
4chanmusic.wikia.com/wiki/Essential_Charts

On which point ?

Good post.

If you can find it in the sticky, you shouldn't make a thread about it.
A conversation on the usefulness of these charts // ways in which to improve them is far more stimulating than seeing a dump from a wiki that you all seem to ignore for some reason. I am the single most interesting thing about this thread, deal with it.

Not the guy you were talking too but...

Your use of the term "ineffectual rhetoric" whenever someone makes a point using meme vocabulary is incredibly pretentious. You are on a fucking Japanese image board. Stop acting like you are more intelligent than everybody because you are so above this "ineffectual" meme language.

And maybe you have time to concurrently research the context of all the music you listen to if you are unfamiliar with, but not everyone does. Some people are students or have jobs and cannot listen to 5 albums a day to get a grasp of the context some certain music may have risen out of.

Also, when listening to music one is unfamiliar with, everybody has to start somewhere. The charts are good for people who want entry points that are relateable to them. Maybe you don't agree with this, but if that is the case, then why did you click on the thread in the first place? My only guess is you are either a (well disguised) troll, or the other user was completely correct in saying you lack self awareness. Nonetheless, it is extremely pretentious to come into this thread, using your elevated vocabulary to talk down to everyone here as if you are so much more intelligent than them for not engaging in this chart nonsense.

Also saying things like

>I have contributed more to this board (from a cultural and constructive perspective) than 90+% of anonymous posters

Is so unbearably lacking in self awareness that it made me cringe. Your condescending tone is ridiculous. You're on Sup Forums. Get off your fucking high horse.

>Your use of the term "ineffectual rhetoric" whenever someone makes a point using meme vocabulary is incredibly pretentious.
No, it is not. You guys need to stop using the word "pretentious" when you clearly do not understand what it means. Doing otherwise is literally pretentious.

>Stop acting like you are more intelligent than everybody because you are so above this "ineffectual" meme language.
Stop acting insecure because my memetic syntax is superior to yours. You learned all of these terms in middle school.

>And maybe you have time to concurrently research the context of all the music you listen to if you are unfamiliar with, but not everyone does.
They do, but it would appear they are more interested in performing the musical equivalent of speed-reading then they are of appreciating the music to the fullest.

> Some people are students or have jobs and cannot listen to 5 albums a day to get a grasp of the context some certain music may have risen out of.
I attend university full-time and work 30+ hours per week, and I find plenty of time to read about the new music I consume. Serious possibility: maybe you // they don't actually like music that much ?

>The charts are good for people who want entry points that are relateable to them.
This statement is too vague to be helpful. If you are talking about musical ethos / genre aesthetics, you are better off abandoning the pretense of being interested in the band and just do what I suggested in and trawl through genre lists // charts on RYM.

>why did you click on the thread in the first place?
I entered the thread in order to make the single most worthwhile post within the thread.

>My only guess is you are either a (well disguised) troll, or the other user was completely correct in saying you lack self awareness.
Non sequitur.

>pretentious
Consistently misusing remedial vocabulary weakens your credibility.

>it made me cringe.
This is a result of your cognitive dissonance.

pre·ten·tious
prəˈten(t)SHəs/
adjective
attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.
"a pretentious literary device"

Acting as though you are more intelligent or above meme culture is pretentious, because you are posturing as though you are "above" meme culture. You use big words but don't seem to understand what they mean.

Either way you have derailed this thread with a semantic argument. Your overwhelming sense of self importance is unbearable. Hopefully someone in life gives you a reality check soon otherwise you will likely be quite miserable (if how you act here is in any way indicative to how you treat those in real life).

Yeah, chronological kinda makes sense if a band or artist has a short discography that stays in one genre but really doesn't work for a number of artists with more varied output.
I would absolutely not recommend people getting into Boris to start with Absolutego, even if they'd already listened to a lot of drone doom.

And by your logic you could suggest that you shouldn't listen to any contemporary bands until you've gotten through the bands that influenced them, and the bands that influenced them etc.

And it is also particularly problematic for bands/artists involved in many different projects. Do I need to listen to all of Hella's releases before getting into Death Grips? Do I need to listen to The Quarrymen before I'm allowed to listen to The Beatles?

>greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.
Did you skim over this part ?

>Acting as though you are more intelligent or above meme culture is pretentious, because you are posturing as though you are "above" meme culture. You use big words but don't seem to understand what they mean.
So many incorrect assertions. Let's break this down.
>Acting as though
Pretending that I am doing a thing != me doing the thing.
>more intelligent
Refuted by (You learned all of these terms in middle school.) If I were intelligent, I would use more complex sentences // words.
>above meme culture
Refuted by (My memetic syntax) If I were above meme culture, I would not posit that my memes > your memes.
>you are posturing
Again, pretending that I am doing a thing != me doing the thing.
>You use big words
What words ? Where ?
>but don't seem to understand what they mean.
Cite a single instance of me using a word incorrectly in this thread.

Did I miss anything ?

>Either way you have derailed this thread with a semantic argument.
You derailed the thread from my constructive topic of "the alternative to using these charts is superior" to "let's talk about Friendo"
>Your overwhelming sense of self importance is unbearable.
Demonstrably false.
>Hopefully someone in life gives you a reality check soon otherwise you will likely be quite miserable
The joke is on you, I'm always miserable.
>(if how you act here is in any way indicative to how you treat those in real life).
This is a nonsensical assumption. I have literally never met anybody who allows their internet persona dictate their face-to-face interactions with others.

You're my favorite tripfag now.

>affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

This is the point. By acting, by posturing, you become pretentious. As you yourself say, pretending to do the thing != doing the thing. But by merely pretending, you are fulfilling the definition and becoming pretentious. If you actually "did the thing," which you yourself admit you don't do, you would cease to be pretentious. You prove my point.

Regardless of whether you believe your words to be "big" or not, they are undeniably from a higher level vocabulary than is typically seen on Sup Forums. Thus, you are using words that appeal to a status of cultural, intellectual, etc. significance, yet are merely shitpostingof Sup Forums. A textbook definition of pretentiousness.

I know regardless of what I say you will likely come up with some autistic reasoning (backed up with a healthy dose of condescension) as to why I am incorrect. This is irrelevant. What is clear, however, is that you are a self-aggrandizing, egotistical, condescending, and yes, PRETENTIOUS tripfag who's overly inflated sense of self worth likely comes from some deep seated insecurity or mental disorder. I am done talking to you. I honestly hope for your sake you are more likeable irl than you have come across here, because if you are actually miserable I have a suspicion it may come from your extreme lack of self awareness. My honest advice before I filter you: humble yourself a bit. It will help you in the long run. Godspeed.

>that stays in one genre but really doesn't work for a number of artists with more varied output.
I addressed that here >following the development of the band while concurrently researching how the "concepts" you are "familiar" with came to be from both a contextual standpoint (other bands // artists) and how the band either adopted these concepts or contributed to them.
You can substitute "concepts" for "genre."

>I would absolutely not recommend people getting into Boris to start with Absolutego, even if they'd already listened to a lot of drone doom.
I will counter this by saying that, as an appreciator of "EAI" I intensely disliked Jim O'Rourke's early output but am extremely fond of several of his later releases. As an artist his output makes much more sense to me, and because I was interested in learning about him and his output (instead of just what was immediately appealing to me) I came out of the experience on a much more positive and informed note.

>And by your logic you could suggest that you shouldn't listen to any contemporary bands until you've gotten through the bands that influenced them
Not at all. The only similar thing I have said to this effect was and was in the context of listening to a single artist due to their relation to a particular "concept" (aesthetic // ethos // genre). This does not apply if you are merely searching for a multitude of albums falling under a loose label without regard to the artist // band as a whole.

I assume this covers the rest of your post, otherwise let me know.

My condolences.

>By acting, by posturing, you become pretentious.
You have yet to demonstrate how I have acted pretentious (if you have already forgotten, I refuted all of your flimsy supports for this). Your inability to support this point falls under the dictionary definition of pretentious.

>As you yourself say, pretending to do the thing != doing the thing.
You appear to be under the misunderstanding that I am the one pretending. You are the only one doing this. Please be more self-aware.

>they are undeniably from a higher level vocabulary than is typically seen on Sup Forums
This is true and also irrelevant.
>Thus,
Do not use "thus" when you have not established a link between premise A & premise B. "You use language that I believe to be of a higher caliber" and "you are just trying to impress" are not logically connected. Stop acting pretentiously.
>A textbook definition of pretentiousness.
Non sequitur based on a non sequitur. A fractal non sequitur, if you will.

>I know regardless of what I say you will likely come up with some autistic reasoning (backed up with a healthy dose of condescension) as to why I am incorrect.
Reasoning which refutes you is not autistic. Learn how to converse like an adult.

>This is irrelevant.
All of your reasoning // premises being fallacious and // or flat-out wrong is most certainly relevant.

>self-aggrandizing, egotistical, condescending, and yes, PRETENTIOUS
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

>who's overly inflated sense of self worth likely comes from some deep seated insecurity or mental disorder
Thanks, Freud. Your deep psychological profile intuited from my musings on an anime image website's music sub-forum will surely be taught in the universities for years to come.

>I filter you:
I accept your concession. Try harder next time.

you, sir, are the greatest troll ever. I mean, they actually think you are this fucking stupid and pretentious. Fucking great job man, keep it up. today I learned that tripfagging is the best troll-disguise ever.

Stop being new.

oh, the irony

Does there exists a guide to The Fall?

Ineffectual rhetoric.
I have been on Sup Forums since I was ~11 years old. That was a decade ago.

oh yeah? well I've been lurking here before they even started building the Great Pyramid of Giza, that's was over 10,000 years ago. what difference does it make?

I like AnCo, listened to pretty much everything they released, and I think this chart is shit.

>listening to SJ
>"hey I like Deakin on here"
said no one ever.

>Feels
>emotional indie rock
kill yourself

>HCTI
>Anco's strangest output

>Campfire Songs
>later years

Man now I feel like I have to make a chart of AnCo

I don't know the band but I like the pun

Can someone post a good Autechre chart?

friendo is right

how crappy does your self-esteem have to be to rely on someone else's * completely subjective experiences* just to listen to music? you aren't studying the compositional and historical nuances of a fucking bach piece, you are getting into a highly accessible indie rock band. that's it.

there's literally no reason not to start chronologically, demonstrate some independence and make your own conclusions from scratch. THAT'S the beauty of art. flowcharts are a waste of time. dumbshits.

Do you like ambient? Start with 'Incunabula', and listen to 'Amber' if you like it.
Do you prefer beat-focused electronic music over ambient? Feel free to ignore their first two albums and start with 'Tri Repetae'.

Is there a chart for Earth, Wind and Fire?

1. youtu.be/ter0p_iyIxk

2. Did you like it Y/N ?

a. If Y -> youtu.be/ter0p_iyIxk
b. If N -> youtu.be/ter0p_iyIxk

4. see Step 2

why the cat picture

that's my baby

>I am the single most interesting thing about this thread, deal with it.
You may have there the answer to why nobody ever loved you friendo.

just filter him out, thats what everyone else does

this isnt your facebook, drop the trip faggot. on a shitposting board like this, we are all better off staying anonymous. its not like /p/ where you have a critique thread and you keep it to show the op replying to feedback

Lol Friendo's right. Chronology is fundamental in properly grasping the essence of an artist's discography because it allows you see and appreciate the pattern of HOW their sound changed over time in addition to WHAT it happened to sound like at specific points in time.

It's actually one of the main purposes of the chart I created here. To subtly encourage people to follow a chronological pattern in their listening behavior - even in the case that they decide not to start with the artist's first record (because chronology CAN function in forward, reverse, and piecemeal states.)

I can't find a flowchart for Sunn O))). Can someone do like a verbal one?

Holy fuck none of this is necessary, do you grimesfags have nothing better to do with your lives?

There's also this one.

Then respond to morons like you? Yes.

don't bother replying, Grimesfaggots are mentaly ill

>don't bother replying,
Lol talk about not following your own advice...

lol agreed on all of this. there's this chart though, which is not terrible, if now slightly outdated.

better version