Why aren't you making your own music?

Explain this to me?
>Be you
>Come daily to a music board
>You talk about your favorite band
>Enjoy to hear new artist you find on Sup Forums
>Yet will not take the advantage of using the music you like, getting influenced by it, and turning it into your own original works

So tell me Sup Forums, why aren't you making music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/JhpfCTsDJJE
mega.nz/#!Ah5VmJrA!TWIMqDl24JHadNF0lEXSOQu9aLeUFPyWHZ6gwVU2L8c
soundcloud.com/petrokovich/ivan-petrokovich-etude-4-part-1-deep-sea
youtube.com/watch?v=gHse6sR46ew
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

but i am, retard

I should, I got my bass and synth in the corner over there.

Need to restring the motherfucker and relearn my scales.

Making music should be like speaking; you should teach it to children so it becomes a natural way to communicate.

Post your music then?

I came to that conclusion a week ago.
I mean, I spend probably 50 hours a week listening to music and reading about music so I really should do something more productive with my time.

I'm a lazy shit with no motivation
What can I contribute to the world of music that hasn't been done?
And once I do contribute something original and unique to the world of music, who's gonna hear it?

This is just downtime from making music all day dude

To further that, the ease with which anyone (ANYONE) being able to make music is an amazing thing. It's such a wonderful form of play and something inherent in everyone, 21st century is an amazing time for music

I do, but I never, EVER let anyone hear it, under any circumstances. It's like building the White House out of Lego, you work on it for fun but don't actually show it to anyone. It's just for you.

i am

Because I live with someone (a normie x10) who hates the kind of music I'm interested in, so I can't really make music because it'll just be annoying to him. I can only really make music comfortably when I'm alone, and I'm almost never alone.
Fuck my life.

i have no talent
mr tentacles has all the talent

I like the flinging shit at a wall part of creating things much more than I like actually finishing things

>tone deaf
>no ideas
>can't sing
>can't play any instruments
>just trying to keep living

I don't enjoy making music

I do and I only come here for /prod/ where I shitpost

I've never played an instrument in my life but I've always wanted to play guitar like Zappa or Gilmour. I'm a poor college student in a dorm, should I bother investing a guitar and learning music or should I wait until I'm more settled in life?

start now, you'll regret not doing sooner

Yes you should, because if you don't start now you'll regret it later on and wish you had started earlier

I usually think starting with acoustic is convenient but in your case start with electric, you can practice and learn unplugged and it won't be loud enough to bother neighbors

tl;dr just do it, faggot

I hear you shouldn't spend less than roughly $200 on your first guitar. That's a good chunk of money
for me right now. But maybe you're right. I do nothing productive anyway.

I do sometimes but I'd rather collaborate and the music scene in my town is anemic. Maybe when I move.

I have a roommate (dorm room), could I plug headphones into the amp and practice that way?

You can get a decent starter Yamaha for about that price. It'll do. You'll be happier if you find something productive to put your time into--I spend over two hours a day most days on my instruments and as a result I never, ever go to bed feeling like I wasted the day.

Absolutely. Of course, then you need headphones and the amp too, and those are additional costs. If you need to keep a light budget you can start with just the guitar without an amp and still learn. You won't bother anyone else playing an unplugged solidbody, but you'll be able to hear yourself.

But I am

Also, it's possible to enjoy music and not write any. Some people have other ambitions

If you're over 25, don't bother. Your brain is done developing and isn't nearly as malleable as it was when you were younger. It's going to be so difficult learning a new instrument, it won't really even be worth it in the long run. You might be able to play twinkle twinkle little start after a few months of practice, but that's about it.
Otherwise, go for it.

I write, play, and perform music regularly.

these fucking feels. I've got to take the leap

i have a nice pair of headphones already
18, and i think i will go for it. thanks guys

>it's another "user launches fl studio and spends hours unable to make even a decent beat" episode

>What can I contribute to the world of music that hasn't been done?
A unique, personal take on it

Music isn't all about innovation. I mean, if you have a unique idea, go for it, but that isn't the only thing. Music can be about whatever you want it to be, and some weird cult of progress has made everyone think that if you make music, you HAVE to be doing something that has never been done before. The music is yours. You can do whatever you like. And above all that, making music is fun.

>And once I do contribute something original and unique to the world of music, who's gonna hear it?
Your parents, your friends, people at your local venues, anons in Bandcamp threads. At least somebody will hear it if you show them, and that's enough.

I'll start tomorrow. Considering i've put out an EP and an album I should probably learn how to play guitar before I put out another one.

Everyone stands on the shoulders of giants. Nihil novi sub sole. If you express yourself and act authentically within a genre you enjoy, and you work at perfecting your ability to express it (whether that is in composition or technique or what have you) you'll end up with music that people want to listen to.

Honestly, though, making music has to be an obsession if you're going to get good enough to express yourself authentically. If you aren't obsessed, you'll just make up every excuse to not do it until you just don't do it. You know, like you're doing now.

But I do.

too close to home

Thanks, anons.

I got to buy some gear I only have an acoustic classic guitar with a bended neck, so I'm trying to get a job. Then I'll buy an electric classic guitar and a new harmonica maybe a bass an keyboard latter. But for now with the new acoustic guitar I'll try to get motivated to finish my songs in order to play in this local autoral festival. The only thing that motivates me to get a job is the money for the equipment.

I was making music like literally 3 minutes ago

Grimes tho

Most of us are doing it, but not everyone's retarded enough to release their bland and shitty music because they know it's not good enough.
Nothing wrong with playing guitar for yourself, or covering other songs until you write your own music.
Making music is easier than ever.
Making actually good music is harder than ever.

agreed. society would be really interesting if we could all play music well.

what music do you like?

i feel like i can, but i just don't know how or where to start.

That would take talent and skill.. plus I might even get criticized. I much prefer to just have 1500 ratings of obscure stuff on RYM and just parrot words that make me look smart and knowledgable in reviews.

Been DJing more

what does a dj do? do you just put your ipod into a speaker and sit there pressing buttons to look cool? or do you do like live remixing of the songs?

nigga criticism is a good thing. how else are you meant to improve

I like music that's grating but catchy simultaneously, i.e. Shaking the Habitual and Earrings Off

I want to do so after I have listened to more music and have more defined tastes, I don't have any issue with waiting.
I have listened to nearly 10000 albums, but want to wait for 30000-50000.
I imagine it will take 6-9 years, but it will be worth it, have already been doing this for 3 years.

I second that. How do you start?

I've recited three songs. In ready this make an album but I work all the time. When I'm off I just st don't have the motivation despite having two new songs almost done.

theory of obscurity

>can't play an instrument
>can't sing well
>can't write lyrics even after an intense emotional period

youtu.be/JhpfCTsDJJE

Man, it's so hard to learn to write lyrics. I have to sit down and force myself to do it. They're shit but I just keep writing, and eventually I can pick the good lines out of the million lines of shit and get a single song.

I think music can be a serious grind. Requires some degree of insanity and obsession.

mega.nz/#!Ah5VmJrA!TWIMqDl24JHadNF0lEXSOQu9aLeUFPyWHZ6gwVU2L8c

Every time I try I end up thinking that what I write is cliche and unoriginal and give up.

I'm already 19, way too old to learn an instrument

???

misplaced influence to the third degree

Brain loses malleability and rapid adaptivity at ~25-30. You've got time. It's too late for you to become a virtuoso, but that's fine because you can make really good music with simple techniques.
Look at Deerhunter. Halcyon Digest is amazing and you can play those songs if you can play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

I hope you're joking, if not pick up an instrument right now and get to it.

That might be true. I think that about myself often. What I do to get around it, as I mentioned, is try to remove my filter, write down whatever bullshit I can until I have a (handwritten) page or two. And then maybe I've written a few lines worth keeping.

So I go back, and write again using the old lines I liked as cornerstones, and maybe get a few more lines.

Sometimes I prompt myself by giving myself a few adjectives that I want the song to feel, but I don't want to name them explicitly. Like, "purple, forest, chilly night" and try to just keep them in my mind as imagery when I write. After writing a few versions I usually try to identify two strong themes and think of what kind of "lyrical turn" the song involves.

I don't know. I think if I write a song in 15 minutes I sound like a hack. If I work on it like this, I more often like the result. Don't get discouraged and just stop because you think you're bad since you can't write amazing lyrics on the spot.

>Making music should be like speaking; you should teach it to children so it becomes a natural way to communicate.
i like this idea

Yeah I probably am just a bit impatient, and I know that it takes time to perfect a song. Artists don't take years to release new material for no reason.

Just looked it up.
Pretty rudimentary theory... it just seems like an obvious fact basically. Not really sure what 'pure art' is supposed to mean in context, and I think it is possible to make something good while keeping influences in mind (e.g. you're mad at something about the world and set out to write a song about it), but otherwise, it seems relatively obvious.

Really, don't feel bad. If you get one good line out of a whole page, it was worth it.

I am, but goddamn it's hard to do anything anywhere near the quality of my favorite bands, i do love making music though.

I can't make it anymore, i'm so fed up it sounds like shit now.

Going to church guys. Keep this thread alive till I get out in like an hour. I like it

I am making music in a band of shoegaze.

>open music program
>piss about for 10 minutes
>get discouraged, nothing comes out like I want it to
>think about why I didn't pay any attention in music class as a kid
>rinse and repeat once a month

I want to, but right now I can't invest in instruments. However I did fiddle with mastering tracks for fun lately.

I don't have any sense of rythm or melody whatsoever. I can make atonal soundscapes, but that's as far I as I can go ad I can't really consider those music
soundcloud.com/petrokovich/ivan-petrokovich-etude-4-part-1-deep-sea

I am too depressed to do anything beside working and listening to music.

i downloaded your song and was unpleasantly suprised

Mostly due to lack of time because of college. Also, I still haven't learned how to write drum tracks on Ableton (or any production). Also, because I can't write decent enough melodies, nor adapt lyrics to a nelody/song.

>So tell me Sup Forums, why aren't you making music?
Can't decide what instrument I play:
1- alto clarinet
or
2- Tenox Saxophone
or
3-Double Reed Slide Bass Trumpet
or
4- Synth

hey this is actually i agree advice?

I'm almost 24 and never played anything except for a recorder in middle school.

Why would I ever pick up a hobby when I'm afraid of failure?

play them all and just have them and loop the shit out of the recordings
i mean thats what radiohead did and now we have TKOL

>Meet some people at university who want to make music
>we have some taste in common but not much
>we talk on facebook about uploading some stuff to get the ball rolling
>I upload just some acoustic guitar recordings I did a while back
>No one responds
>it's been three days

Shit lads, what did I do wrong? I'm not an awful guitar player and I didn't even sing so it wasn't cringey. But I don't wanna ask if any of them have seen it bc I don't wanna seem desperate.

because being a band recently feels like childcare.
going solo feels too controlled. I become highly critical and self depreciating of myself.

its art

>tfw hate everything I make because I need to practice and learn more

youtube.com/watch?v=gHse6sR46ew

I got a guitar and a DAW, but I really have no ideas, either that or its just crap.

but i do, but it's not something i'd consider it good or technical.

it's mostly noise/sound collage shit that i recorded between 2008-2013. i even have a bandcamp, should i post it?

I do, yet no one hears it.

use headphones lol

you spend hours collecting 'rare' yet immediately enjoyable tunes, then you try to find a way to chain them together flawlessly, then you practice a lot, then when you actually DJ in front of people you have to have a sharp sense of what the atmosphere of that particular moment is like to predict what will get people dancing the most. It's actually a lot of work

I play
I never record
am I what's wrong with the world?

I dislike everything I make. It's truly a living nightmare.

I'm suppose I'm to lazy to sit down and start making art...
To be an artist you have to do things, express what you are? well, I'm kinda shut-in.

It's ok, I'm not panicking yet. I'm just a 18 old dude studying music. The day will come I believe. Some of my classmates are asking me to play with them and start a group.

Do you too feel like everything you do is terrible and that you're a terrible person?

You're fine

No.

my problem right now isnt learning to play, its learning how to record with the computer