Just got hold of a Tesla model s P85 drive unit (motor and controller) recovered from a vehicle that was in a wreck...

Just got hold of a Tesla model s P85 drive unit (motor and controller) recovered from a vehicle that was in a wreck caused by a drunk driver. My plan is to completely flash the controller's software and make my own inputs for it, so it will not be limited only to tesla's parameters and restrictions in their software. I'll be doing this over the next few weeks and will be enabling the motor to spin fast enough to almost destroy itself.

Tesla's firmware only allows the engine to spin up to 16k rpm which is probably a lot lower than what it is capable of. Does anyone have an idea of what the max rpm of this motor could do before it would destroy itself?

The final plan is to put this beast in a small car like a smart car so the power to weight ratio will be through the roof. Also, I will not be using large heavy batteries to power it, but rather an array of capacitors. You'll only get 10 to 20 miles of range, but it will be the lightest and most powerful electric vehicle on the planet. Capacitors means light weight instant power unlimited power. Add that with a hacked tesla engine and you've got yourself a lethal mix.

tl;dr

what is the fastest rpm you can get on a tesla motor before it destroys itself?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/GSYL1EqX5VQ?t=2h19m
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

uhh 38

38k rpm?

They have 4 motors faggot put it in a go kart

Why the fuck are you asking Sup Forums? You probably want to figure out what the limiting factor is (I'm guessing heat dissipation), and figure out how that scales with rpm. Assuming heat is linear with RPM and the engine is over engineered to 150%, you could shoot for 24k.

But RPM probably won't be your limiting factor for top speed. In something like a smart car, the car's suspension/steering won't be stable past 150 mph and you're just going to kill yourself.

Sweet project though. But real;y why the fuck are you asking Sup Forums?

Retard. They only have 1 motor. The new "dual motor" cars have 2 but they didn't sell many of them.

Ask, /o/

ask /o/ about your car-suicide project you fucking degenerate

lol 4 motors

Buy TSLA

nawh they've got 3 motors,one motor for 3 wheels bro

>says he is capable of building custom software for tesla technology
>doesnt know whats the max rpm of the motor

Yeah... im going to call bullshit on this one bruh.

I knew no one would know but just wanted to get a discussion about it until someone who knew their shit came along. You seem to know a bit, so it kinda paid off I guess...

you're on the wrong board, unless you're planning on mounting a dick on it

idk about rpm but are those motors brushless or brushed? I assume brushless but..

They are brushless, liquid cooled.

make a go kart out of it. Also are you going to post the worklog on any forum or something?

yeah. if i go ahead with the project it will be in the tesla forums. just keep an eye out, it will get popular enough to be found pretty easily. just search tesla powered buggy or something

dope, coolant would be OP's limiting rpm factor then depending on what the coolant is cooling (bearings/windings/controller)

As far as regular electric motors go my usual recommendation would be an additional 60% at the very most.
But we are talking about motors 1-3k rpm there.
16k might as well be very much on the edge, I personally wouldn't meddle with such engine unless I had enough engineering information about it.

This guy hacked a motor and they made an interface for it too...

youtu.be/GSYL1EqX5VQ?t=2h19m

I've watched a few of his videos. I think they have had problems using the data codes they figured out on other engines. Its looking like you need to reverse engineer every controller uniquely which isn't good.

engineering ≠ informatik bruv
most information scientist have zero engineering skills

I don't know much about electrical cars, but I I guess I can try and help. as long as theirs something to cool it off and lubricate whatever the hell it rotates, then I'm sure you're in the clear.

Yeah i wouldn't be applying rule of thumbs from pissant motors on that, all of your mechanical variables are proportional to the square and cube of RPM.

No lube required, it's brush-less, and uses ball bearings. Only thing it needs is cooling. Id imagine the other limiting factor would be the electrical arcing caused by the high voltage, which would eat away the metal inside it

>What should I do with P85 drive unit
Put it in your pooper.