youtube.com/watch?v=kR8HinFaQhk
dailymotion.com/video/x2qap04
youtube.com/watch?v=F61-vVNFodQ
youtube.com/watch?v=5q_ZLk4Zln4
youtube.com/watch?v=GWxxVEFwayw
youtube.com/watch?v=AJn8Qj0geTA
youtube.com/watch?v=q9--Ca9CflI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm still on my 'listen to every Herbie Hancock album' adventure.
Finished Pic-related yesterday. It was alright, not as good as his other funk-albums though.

About to listen to the next one.

Can I post my band's jazz fusion album here? I could post on bandcamp thread but no one there really listens to jazz

Go ahead!

skkeddeee dooot, dooop babebdy waowwwww

electric herbie a shit
I mostly dislike jazz with electric keyboard tho so maybe don't listen to me
I do recommend tho:
youtube.com/watch?v=utmgnjBavs0

why did you decided to do this?
when's Miles Davis's turn?

I decided to do this because.
A: I've heard a lot of good things about him
B: I heard he's a very versitile musician (which I like)
C: Synthesizers. Lots of Synthesizers. I like that.

I'm really looking forward to getting to 'dis is da drum' since that's an acid jazz album.

Not sure if/when I'll do Miles.

Been listening to a lot of the stuff from Coltrane at the Vanguard recently. Eric Dolphy is really great on these sets. He fits in with the band really nicely and works as a nice contrast to Coltrane. He's less rigorous about how he approaches soloing than John but it never ends up feeling like Sanders style where he's just blowing whatever. I love the way he solos on Namia, there's something about vaguely free ballad playing that just really pushes my buttons and it's done really beautifully with how Dolphy approaches timbre and phrasing.

A and B are 100% accurate. Herbie jazz is a bit glamorous though, interpret that however you want

>a bit glamorous though
..Well from the stuff I heard you're not wrong.
Brb gonna rank the stuff I listened to so far.

Here they are, from favorite to least
(Not including 'Death Wish, which would be somewhere in the middle)

b4 you do that, some random 70s Jazz/funk/fusion recs:

Calvin Keys A++
George Duke B+
Stanley Clarke A
Chick Corea A
Lonnie Liston B+
Idris Muhammad B+
Weather Report A+++
Miles Davis A++++
Dave Holland and frendz A

wow lots of love for fat albert, will check that one out.

but Sextant so low? That shit, Maiden Voyage, and Empyrean Isles got me into jazz almost. Are there any of these that you strictly don't like?

>Miles Davis A++++
Yeah I have heard he's one of the favorites on here when it comes to jazz.
I've listened to Bitches Brew and liked it

Here it is lyrebirdnc.bandcamp.com/releases
It's also on Spotify, just look up Lyrebird
Feedback would be nice
Keep in mind we hardly practiced these tunes at all lol
I'm the guitarist btw

The only one I flat out hated was Sextant.
The intro track is one of the worst songs I've ever heard, if I'm being honest. Sorry.

Dedication. I'm not sure it's necessarily the best way to get to grips with a jazz artist though. Obviously you're gonna hear a lot of really great music doing this but the disadvantage to looking at one leader's studio works so comprehensively is that you'll miss lots of live stuff stuff and work he did as a side man.
Herbie appeared on a ridiculous amount of definitive jazz albums as a sideman during the 60s that would probably be more worth your while hearing than the quagmire of a later career you're gonna find yourself in.

Miles Davis broke the ground that Herbie Hancock walked on. Herbie's albums seem downright reduntant next to each other when you compare the to Miles Davis's catalogue from the same era.

Granted it was a master-pupil relationship through the mid to late 60s. And Miles Davis's being the best ever leaves lots of room for Herbie to be outstanding+

good fusion I rec

git in line, faggums :^)
thanks 4 rec tho

Rahsaan Roland Kirk A++
Sun Ra A++
Ornette Coleman A+
RAMP A
Donald Byrd B+

strictly 70s speaking

I think I skipped dedication. Not sure.
I remember seeing it was just live tracks so I thought "eh I'll just go to death wish"

When did Miles start out? Mid 50s right?

isok so far, a bit jam bandy

Yeah I can see that
I wish we had more time to practice things so we could get some more sophisticated compostion but we could never get together

mid/early 40s

he's on some early Charlie Parker recordings, see:
youtube.com/watch?v=okrNwE6GI70

Kek, I meant you are dedicated to be doing this.

This guy is pretty cool;

youtube.com/watch?v=wpg8jBFaj3c

Oh. Well thank you. :)

Holy shit he's been around longer than I thought. When I'm done with Herbie I'll give Bitches Brew another listen. Then I'll just pick one at random.

You can check out Hank Mobley too if you feel like it. Great music that made me appreciate jazz more.

Word, if you've heard BB maybe try something different for next Miles? Herbie's on this one I think it's gr9

For the cool album cover alone that's next on the Miles list. Thanks.

Pre-Fedorazilla Weather Report was awesome. Their first album, Mysterious Traveller and Tale Spinnin' are great, I don't understand why is Heavy Weather the famous one.

Hey guys, there was an interview or just some information on Mingus about how he practiced playing/improvising on his double bass. He'd say how he'd play for several hours until he reached total control of the instrument , as if he blended with it.

Does anyone have source?

somewhwere in here maybe?
vimeo.com/10769018

I saw it in text, but thanks for the share

I just put this man and his glorious afro on.
Will say what I think as album plays.

used to listen to this stuff can barely stand it these days. some shit by ayler is still tight tho

God damn the vocoder is killing this....

Hey man, I think I saw you in the albums by decade thread! I share your love for Fat Albert. If you're getting into Miles, a couple of my favorites that I don't see mentioned often are Steamin' with the Miles Davis Quintet and Miles in the Sky.

Thanks, I've been getting a few suggestions for him.

Right now I'm listening to...a...REALLY surprisingly bad Herbie album.

I stopped chronologically after Secrets and jumped to Future Shock to finish off my studio listen.

Nowholdup....
The ending track...
This ending track just saved the whole album.
youtube.com/watch?v=BMGb_E34Uis

Ok so thoughts on this:
First track was ok
Tracks 2-4 were pretty unremarkable and only 1 of them was listenable.
(3 was kind of nice but the vocoder killed it a little)

And then it ends with one of the best songs he ever made. What the fuck, Herbie?

I don't know shit about jazz, can you give me recs kinda similar to this : youtube.com/watch?v=kR8HinFaQhk
? (is this any defined subgenre?)

Some people might call it prog but I'd say 30% of jazz released nowadays sounds just like this.

You might like Avishai Cohen or Niechec
dailymotion.com/video/x2qap04

Still the best jazz album ever

The Herbie Adventure continues.
Listened to pic-related. An improvement over the one before it. Looking forward to the next one.

youtube.com/watch?v=F61-vVNFodQ
youtube.com/watch?v=5q_ZLk4Zln4
youtube.com/watch?v=GWxxVEFwayw

post-bop. She has a fun album with chick corea

who are essential modern flutists

Groovy, thanks.
So if that's 30% of jazz nowadays, what's the rest? I bet there's a good part of loungy-smooth stuff. Anythigng else?

Thanks

I dunno what to call the stuff I like most but a lot of it is atmospheric, melodically complex tunes structured around really damn good drumming.

youtube.com/watch?v=AJn8Qj0geTA

and throwback ballads are nice

youtube.com/watch?v=q9--Ca9CflI

lots of cross genre stuff hapening too, especially with south american influence. I'll let you find those if you're interested.
Next to that is that it's unconventional time-sigs

I think Jack Johnson is the best electric Miles record.
Outdeb8 me.

agreed but give it like 5 mins I might come back and rek u up famalam

my hat's in the ring for In a Silent Way because it's one of the earliest experiments in moody, atmospheric borderline ambient instrumental music that must have had a profound influence on groups like Can, Faust, and Neu. Production was on point, minimalistic as shit nothing virtuosic about it but still top to bottom a high quality record. Not quite as fun and that makes it hard to be engaging, but it hits the spot like few Jazz/Fusion records until Weather Report came around.

It's the Herbie motherfucker again!
Just listened to The Piano
Spoiler: On this album he plays the piano.

I probably should have expected it. A little too simple for me but I still liked it.
I wonder what's next.