/daily/ - "the rise of daily" edition

It's the death of western civilization!

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

discord.gg/s5Rv7zJ
>no minors allowed

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/list/I_AM_FISH/favorite-releases-1960-to-2016/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/svetovid/valhallan_dreams/
rateyourmusic.com/~katelynn
rateyourmusic.com/~Magus_The_Sexy
youtube.com/watch?v=4FZt-BbrWzA
dailymu-sic.weebly.com/daily-related-files.html
rateyourmusic.com/~I_AM_FISH
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for trips

BigBoyDrone vol. 1: Terminus is a Cutie patootie Edition

From best to not best. Already talked about elseq so I'll skip that

>David Thomas Broughton - Crippling Lack
AOTY???? Seriously, I'm very much considering replacing this with We Be All Africans. The run time might turn some off, but this is a very well-written album. The song writing is so great and full of character, it makes 11-minute singer/songwriter tracks zoom by. “Concrete Statement”, “Dots”, and “I Close My Eyes” are some of the best, while being some of the longest from this beast. Very enjoyable and overlooked album from this year imo. Check this shit out.

>25,000 kittens – s/t
Mrow ((ΦωΦ))
Compfyiest drone ever.

>Cocteau Twins - Aikea-Guinea
Neat. No idea why this is their only un-bolded album from this era. If those albums are truely that much better than this one, then I'll have to see to checking those out soon! Very nice album, and the opening track as well as Quisquose are some of their best!

>Birchville Cat Motel - Chi Vampires
Yeah okay. Good shit. Alright. Love the beautiful, happy tones tones from this thing and its openness to change, a characteristic not often found in this sort of music that I usually don't care for. The change-up in the final track was particularly satisfying. Woudl've been much higher, but "Buckling Metal Snowflakes" wasn't even close to being good enough to warrant being nearly half the run time. The other tracks were fantastic though.

>Boris - Absolutego
Love the guitar tones on here, but honestly it's just one of their most exciting albums. If it weren't for the same thing for the last 20 minutes of this album, would probably be much higher.

>The Necks - Athenaeum, Homebush, Quay & Raab
The fuck is this? "Post-jazz"? Fuck outta here. Not bad, but I imagine being the rhythm section for this band must be torture. Perhaps I'll like the other of their albums on this chart, but I really just don't see it yet.

>getting accosted for my religion in a major city of a country that was founded by immigrants

epic xd

New!!

Improved!!

Still shit!!

check it out~
rateyourmusic.com/list/I_AM_FISH/favorite-releases-1960-to-2016/

Charles Manson's music is actually pretty good lmao

Steven Bernstein - Diaspora Soul (1999)
>jewish music

Really simple, straightforward release for Tzadic, and it's mostly enjoyable as hell. It fuses traditional jewish music with fiery, funky afro-cuban jazz very well, and creates something effortlessly cool and breezy while still complex and even spiritual in a way. Far too long, however, and it wears very thin after a while, but the passion of the instrumentalists and the sheer enjoyability of the pieces themselves makes the album a worthwhile listen through and through.

3.0-

Frank Lowe - Black Beings (1973)
>free jazz

It's Frank Lowe, so the mark of quality is already here, but it takes on a completely different sound than his collaboration, which I fucking /adore/. With more performers on board, the tracks have a much fuller, more maximalist sound, which occasionally works against the album rather than for it. It lacks a bit of subtlety, which is something I always look for in free jazz. It's often just an unadulterated blast of pure sound, save for a few calmer moments. What it lacks in subtlety, it more than makes up for in intensity. The violin is incredible, it swirls all around the dueling saxophones to a wonderful, hypnotic effect, and it's really great. If you like Duo Exchange (@triangle), listen to this.

3.0+

tfw have to listen to a metal album for my tourney

that sucks

fucking trans-god

>depressive bedroom atmoshit
>"metal"

butts

>No idea how to feel about Compulsion
That it's a god damn masterpiece?

Nah i can definitely see the parallels.
I still enjoyed it, and I'll probably give it another listen or two soon.

>new???
no

>not using my butt pic
reee

Give 3 and say it's boring generic metal, nobody will know.

it looks like metal from the cover and theres no rym page i don't think

>that Rudi meme
dead

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/svetovid/valhallan_dreams/
???

Cigarettes After Sex - I. (2012)
>slowcore, dream pop

Totally middle of the road music, it does nothing to offend but nothing to impress either. There's some nice melodies, and the whole album is drenched in some cozy reverb, but it's just an unimpressive EP. They do the sound well, but it's been done better by hundreds of other bands, so what's the point?

2.0+

do you have a rym my dude?

Sans Soleil was pretty wild.
And the music was amazing.

cat sans hand

oh shit you stepped up your meme game.

rateyourmusic.com/~katelynn

lol who rates movies on rym

lies!! This person does not have the Ark Work as a 10!!

Sorry everyone for being gone for so long, I'll be finishing this tourney up this week.

He's lying, it's actually this.
rateyourmusic.com/~Magus_The_Sexy

TBHfam, Kubera and Comet are gone i think

literally what

That's too bad, should I start a new one?

nah just let someone fill in

If anyone wants to fill in for some people in this tournament, reply with the album of choice here.

maybe me?
jenny hval - blood bitch

Seefeel - Quique

One more spot!

Mika Vainio - Onko

I'll replace Jangle

novel

Can I be a namefag
I don't have a RYM

Do you have shit taste?
If you do then yes.

Here's my Top six

Whitehouse - Birdseed
The Georgegreggegegegegay - Instruments Disorder
DNA - DNA on DNA
Various "Artists" - White Power
Butthole Surfers s/t
Peter Brotzmann - Machine Gun

Is this shit-taste

Yes.

>Is this shit-taste
If you wanna be bullied I recommend /rym/.
Otherwise whatever you like you like dude.
Heard anything new lately?

Wow you live!
Enjoy those albums, many very good

Edgy top 6
Get taste with the following:
Insect warfare- noise grind power death
Sondre lerche- s/t

I like Sondre Lerche

We are good friends now, you and I

I'm trying to find more noisy Jazz.
The Lounge Lizards s/t is great.

Ok.

Meant to quote

>Ok
Do you have a favorites chart buddy? I'll give you some good recommendations

more like Rated ':P' for Pleb

better than Marquee Moon

lmao not even close

fight me

r u dumb

How are you even smart enough to get past the captcha?

Waiting for the perfect tripcode.

No, but, if I had one, it would mostly be Power Electronics, some Noise Rock, a little bit of Industrial and early Electronics.

Perfect.

Tripcode Explorer is horrible.

whats your favorite metalcore album?

Listen to Dead Fader - Scorched it's a pretty fun industrial techno album that you might like

probably atrocity exhibition by danny brown, why?

Eh, I give up.
I'm just going to use this one.

I don't know
Whats your favorite Art Pop album?

>it would mostly be Power Electronics, some Noise Rock, a little bit of Industrial and early Electronics.
Very gangster
Ok well I'll second dead fader
Try these, too:
Lotic- heterocetera
Black pus- black pus 1
Full of hell + merzbow- s/t

so what's good though?

Gamelan Sekar Tunjung - The Music of K.R.T. Wasitodiningrat (1992)
>gamelan jawa

Whoever here told me I'd probably dislike the repetition of this album, you were definitely right. It's definitely gorgeous music, performed well and passionately, but it really does suffer from how damn redundant it is. It's got a lot of intensity, mainly due to its slow tempo and its heavy emphasis on percussion, but not even a very enjoyable sound could excuse 72 minutes with nearly no variation whatsoever. I hate to give such shoddy, lazy criticisms, but it really hurts my enjoyment of the album, which is a shame because of the quality of the music itself.

2.5-

Robag Wruhme - Thora Vukk (2011)
>microhouse, minimal techno

I learned about this guy because he was a member of Beefcake (Drei is a great album, check it out), and it's impressive how deftly he managed to take on a completely different sound on this album compared to his spastic, off-the-wall work in the IDM genre. His work here is incredibly subtle, beats are often pushed to the side to make room for ambient soundscaping. It's very pretty at times, and oftentimes wonderfully evocative, but it crosses the fine line between subtlety and statis much more often than I'd like it to. In it's more beat-heavy moments, it's really great, the thumping beats mesh perfectly with the pretty, etheral ambient, but the strictly ambient tracks go absolutely nowhere and only serve to detract from the quality of the techno. Some editing would do this album wonders, as is it's too bloated with floaty, unenjoyable ambient tracks.

2.5+

Fixed it all up! Look forward to a round tomorrow

Witchfinder General - Death Penalty (1982)
>NWOBHM, traditional doom metal

Dumb, meatheaded metal, but not without it's charm. If you focus entirely (and I mean entirely) on the riffs it's a fine listen, but when every single other element is added to it the quality goes down and down. The vocals are among the worst I've heard in metal, and the lyrics are just so mindbogglingly stupid they come back around to being enjoyable ("Back at her place she was in the mood, she sucked and licked my food. When it was running all over her face she rolled over and then we screwed" is poetry). The drumming is competent, but it adds little to the tracks. Really great guitar work though, and it is pretty enjoyable at times in a really dumb, "turn your brain off" kind of way, but those are about the only positive things I can say about it.

>Tuco eliminated first
This makes me smug

If you have any Tim Buckley you plan on giving a bad score to, you should squeeze it in your next 8 so I don't have to look at it all the time.

John Prine - s/t [1971]
>Country, Folk

Great storytelling and lyrics. The instrumentals fit the mood of the pieces well, as does the deadpan narrator-style vocal delivery.
The style and instrumental variance don't offer too much new, however.
The picking and strumming patterns are pretty basic, and the overdubbing is pretty predictable and boring.

6.5 /10

(one more review coming before bed)

Nina Simone - I Put A Spell On You
>Vocal Jazz

Man, vocal jazz ain't my thing. The instrumentals feel like there's no passion behind them, which is a shame as Simone's vocal performance is certainly full of passion.
Her versatile vocal delivery is exemplified by this set, often juxtaposed side-by-side in the track listing.
Most of the songs are covers of popular songs, albeit with some added personality, but nothing truly original made it's way on this album.
Unfortunately, the singing fails to overcome the handicap of the pop instrumentals disguised as a jazz band.

4.0 /10

Pigger go night night

Glad Paavo's s/t is garnering a little more deserved respect here. I'd rec'd it in a bunch of tourneys for a while but I don't remember anyone liking it that much.

It's got a tremendous amount of character, life, and virtuosity to it. Would rec to anyone looking for a varied but very upbeat and whimsical jazz release with lots of cool vocal performances. Cançó del Paó is also pretty good.

frigg off Paavo is amazing

i need like hip hop that isn't too slow but isn't too fast, preferably trap sounding beats and less ebonics

youtube.com/watch?v=4FZt-BbrWzA
so you can work on yr raps and yr german too

Have been busy for most of the weekend so I'm bumping with some quick n dirty reviews.

>Sonic Youth - Sonic Nurse

Maybe not the best performance but this isn’t half bad for ‘04. It’s rare to see artists thrive this far into their career so I give this massive props. Lacks the “umf”/energy of their earlier albums and feels a bit flat at times but still a very enjoyable listen. Have yet to be disappointed by this band honestly, I find they transitioned quite nicely in the latter half of their career.

3.5/5 b/c I’m heavily biased

>Blur - 13

Never been big into this band and what do you know... I’m still not. Though this might be better more interesting than their other material b/c it has a lot more influences, it still feels like generic pop, just with cooler production. A couple of nice moments though, just isn’t my style honestly.

2.0/5

>Meat Puppets - II

Pleasantly surprised by this one. The weird combo of punk and country influences works way better than I’d have expected. There’s some gorgeous tracks on here and the guitar work is very fun. And the lead singer’s angsty, nervous voice fits this style quite well. “Lost”, “Plateau” and “Lake Of Fire” are particularly great. Worth more listening for sure.

4.0/5

>Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me

Not typically too big on her material but this feels much more “normal” than Ys and epic than “Divers”. Nice middle ground. The length is a bit of a minus, as this stretches on about 15 minutes longer than it should but I mostly say that b/c I’m usually pretty impatient. That being said, I can’t name a poor song on here off the top of my head. The instrumentation is gorgeous and often symphonic at times and her voice, while a bit strange even after extensive listening - is impressive and fits this style quite well. "In California", "Easy" and "Jackrabbits" are probably my favorites.

4.5/5

Guys I want to chronicle my thoughts about every album cover that's been memed into a /daily/ image. Is there some backlog for this besides painfully digging through the archive?

thanks friendos

yes
dailymu-sic.weebly.com/daily-related-files.html

also

and

F U C K Y O U G I V E M E E N G L I S H
i literally talk to my old german teacher auf deutsch daily

I CAN ALMOST SPIT BONE THUGS JUST HALP

I Put A Spell On You is a bit overrated imo. Pastel Blues is much better, as well as the live albums It Is Finished and Nina Simone In Concert.

LE MEME FEST 2016 HIGHLIGHTS in chronological order
>Girl Band
these guys have a fucking visceral live show. the singer's an absolute madman and the pounding rhythms leave you no choice but to dance.
>Mario Batkovic
accordion minimalism that reminded me a bit of Colin Stetson in that he takes a traditionally not-very-impressive instrument and uses it to build a massive wall of sound. I saw this guy in a church and it was honestly stunning.
>Savages
not a big fan of their studio output but they fucking rip in a live setting. a lot of energy and charisma. they practically ooze coolness.
>Tim Hecker
loudest gig of the festival hands down
>Dinosaur Jr.
I didn't expect them to be as gnarly as they were but they put on one hell of a show. J Mascis is a fucking beast. also they played Just Like Heaven which was neato.
>Swans
>Johnny Greenwood + an Israeli composer + some Indian ensemble
fun as fuck, danceable take on indian traditional music (inb4 someone complains about me calling it trad). I'm a sucker for heavy, tribal sounding percussion so the more meditative parts had me p much creaming.

I saw Dinosaur Jr. this wednesday and that was a fucking great show as well (even if they didn't play just like heaven, lucky bastard). Mascis makes it seem so fucking effortless churning out these amazing guitar solos.

Did you have another meetup?

did they play Coward

Since I have already finish my monthly backlog chart, I'm gonna made another one.

Good shit:
>El huervo
if you like psych electronica, you'll enjoy this
>Deastro - Moondagger
as good as Merriweather Post Pavilion imho
>Zhaoze - Yond
basically Chinese Mogwai (with some folk asian intruments)
>Brigitte Fontaine - s/t
'Comme à la radio' with better (communist) lyrics
>Catherine Ribeiro - (libertés?)
on par with her most famous albums (Âmes Debout & Paix): very intense 'trilogy'.
>Léo Ferré - Il est six heures…
Symphonic Chanson

no meetup, there were no other /daily/fags as far as i know. it was fun as hell regardless tho.
it was about 50/50 between The Glowing Man and new/unreleased stuff. no old stuff tho, that would've been cool

top tier Rud meme
oh wow I'm in this one

also
>tfw forgot about my trad tourney
have to continue that sometime
Kub and Comet are gone? Damn.

sure convinced me with these in deep & thoughtful arguments

booze and not getting out of the bed for over 24 hours except to shit and lie on the cold ground for a moment

hey i saw that jhonny memwood live too

Damn? More like yay

why not...why do they not want friendship...

Fish would you mind posting a pic of that Rudi meme without the rest of the chart

it's a good meme
rude

Sick meme friend

I wasn't smiling tho, made this the second I realized Trump was going to win :')

here

8am bump wew

I'm starting off my new chart with "redos". If there's an album you think I would most likely enjoy had I given it more time/a second chance feel free to reply to me with it: rateyourmusic.com/~I_AM_FISH

At a glance I'd say Raw Power considering how much you like some other punk/garage rock releases.