Trips decides which language I study. I've already got the books and cards for both

Trips decides which language I study. I've already got the books and cards for both.

Japanese

None. Just talk in English but louder and slower than usual.

The one on the right.

I want to be able to read and write the language, too.

Japanese
get fluent
move to japan and teach English
bang the shit out of Japanese school girls

why did you even need to ask? are you a homo or something?

There are many aspects in Korean culture that are better than their Japanese counterparts. Also, sex doesn't interest me.

Hmm, well that changes things. I've always preferred Korea more than Japan, not sure why, so I'd personally choose Korean because I'm more likely to visit there. Do you plan on going to either of these countries, or are you just learning for the fuck of it?

>sex doesn't interest me

you disgust me

I lived in Korea from 2009-2012. For a number of reasons, I failed to become fluent. However, I'm always dreaming about Korea these days, and I can still read it. After I finish Uni, I intend to live and work abroad, preferably in either Japan or back in Korea. However, Japan seems to be like a bad idea the more I learn about it.

it's overrated. I've had it enough times to the point I'm bored by the very idea.

Mongolian

Then I'd suggest Korean, you already have some knowledge of the language which is a head start and you're more likely to go there than to Japan, so it makes sense really.

ew, no

Even if this thread 404's before someone rolls trips and suggests the same thing, I'm thinking of doing that.

japanese

koreans much easier IMO, even more so since you're familiar with the writing system and for the most part the tones/syllables. I've studied both and with japanese theres three writing systems which is a bitch to master.

This is true. I've passed the N4 of the JLPT, but I'm having a hard time motivating myself to keep going.

Koreans easier to read but Japanese language is less complicated to speak IMO. Pronunciation is much easier. Otherwise virtually the same language structure wise

kudos man! I've studie Japanes on off of a few years now. I'd say I know enough to get around and basic stuff but I've came to the conclusion that I'm not gonna be able to get out of this bubble until I actually go to japan and or in a situation where I'm forced to use my japanese which being in a pretty populous korean community near isn't likely lol

bumping

Russian.

didn't realize that but yeah you're absolutely right. I figure though since OP is somewhat familiar already it'd be easier

That's what I'm thinking, too: to get better at Japanese, I'd need to actually go to Japan so I'm exposed to the language at least 90% of the time, and have a stronger reason to keep studying. It would be a matter of survival, unlike here, where it's more of a luxury or hobby.

Yea agreed. Op should learn Korean.

Whichever you're more interested in. If you're only looking to learn for economical reasons, Chinese would be a better option.

Chinese...

I've got books on this, too.

Such as. I've lived in JP but not Korea. Personally like Japanese food more but otherwise don't know the little differences.

Also I feel like Hokkaido would be hard to beat in general. Great food, outdoors, incredible beer

>speaking of food....

Niseko ramen in Hokkaido. Best noodles of any kind I've ever had

Interesting. Looks like it may have been expensive though, another problem I have with Japan: *everything* is expensive by comparison (to Korea).

Squid burger? That looks interesting.

I had a pizza with corn, ham, and mashed potatoes while over there. At another point, I had one with noodles and corn chips cooked INTO the pizza itself.

Fair enough. Part of why I'm looking at Korea to go teach. Though I guess I can make more and live on less in vietnam.

Eh they weren't too bad. If you got all the fixings then yea it got pricy. The funny part was that the spicy version was overpriced but all they did was put chili sauce in it. All I had to do was order the cheapest version then pour the sauce in from the complimentary bottle at the table. Also Sapporo classic from the tap.

oh what the fuck, did you like any of them?

Russian

Really wanted to like Sapporo but couldn't get into, love me some Asahi though

I've not heard of teaching conditions in Vietnam...

Loved them. Of course, this was before I developed lactose intolerance.

ah man thats lame =/

Then again, I'm not sure. I had a sample of ice cream the other day, thinking
>this is going to hurt later, but fuck it, I don't care!
and it didn't hurt...

Supposedly not nearly as saturated as Japan, Korea, Thailand etc. Super cheap cost of living. Also I enjoyed my time in ha noi more than I did in Bangkok. Just felt more laid back. Still have to watch out for scammers and shit which you don't really in Japan and I assume Korea.

Sapporo is probably my favorite city in asia, though in part because of easy access to outdoor activities like surfing rafting snowboarding etc. Rhough Fukuoka is cool too.

My only experience with Korea is on Korean air where they had even better service than japanese airlines. To my surprise

Cornish

Sapporo classic is real Sapporo. Not sure you can even get it outside of Hokkaido. The Sapporo that you get everywhere else is lesser. It's fuck you we're keeping the best shit to ourselves sapporo

Korean Airlines are often praised for there service so I'm not surprised. Come to think of that seems like the only airline I often hear raved about.

Study Japanese first, then if you want/have the time Korean, Hangul is easier to start so it would be best to do it second and both are similar but still have some major differences. Both would be good to learn though, if only one, Japanese.

ah makes sense.

But yea I'd take asahi over standard sapporo any day

All I know is the Japs (and all other Asians) don't know how to make beer that isn't 80% rice. Fuck them, learn German.

And rightfully so. Some of the best flights I've ever taken were through Korean Air.

I kind of have experience with Japanese, as I've completed/passed the N4 of the JLPT. It's just that, I'm having difficulty being motivated enough to continue with Japanese, and my nightly lucid dreams about Korea make me really want to study it instead of Japanese, despite everything I've done on the Japan-side. Even when I look at my Korean pics on FB, I start tearing up from the nostalgia.

Do Klingon you fucking pansy

But I don't drink.

Ebonics

Not enough people to practice it with.
>also, no qt Klingon chicks to talk to

none

Im studying japanese right now so if you study that, then either of us can think about the other when it gets rough. Somewhere out there, that other user is also suffering.

Forgot to mention but Viet girls collectively the hottest I've met in asia.

>eternal suffering
I mean, it's not too difficult once you get the hang of it. I guess in a sense, I'm getting 'bored' of Japanese, as I've become disillusioned by it over time.

I can imagine. I have a couple of Vietnamese lady-friends.

hanguko

韓國語

I love Chinese characters/Hanja

>I'm getting 'bored' of Japanese
Then why are you asking us which language to learn?

I guess in a way, I'm trying to see if I should really continue with Japanese (since I'd be taking N3 this year) or just go in a new direction. I've been full of doubt lately, and can't really decide to go left or right.

Thank heavens for Sup Forums and the internet.

And interestingly the viets don't really have a problem with Americans. You'd think they would due to war but their pretty forward thinking and really just don't like the french. And they despise the chinese

>can't really decide to go left or right
Why not both

I guess that has to do with colonization. Americans didn't colonize Vietnam, rather, we just fought them for the sake of defending a French interest. I could understand why they'd despise the Chinese.

Lack of time.