You know what I hate about satire Sup Forums? Satire can be used as a guise for stupidity

You know what I hate about satire Sup Forums? Satire can be used as a guise for stupidity.

Say someone says something incredibly stupid. You confront them about it. They immediately say, "bro it's satire."

You end up looking like the dumb one in the situation to the majority of people because you "fell for it".

These stupid people who always have something stupid to say can get away with saying anything dumb over and over again until something sticks with people. "No bro, this time I was serious."

Satire is like one of the lowest forms of humor in my opinion. It's worse than sarcasm.

What do you faggots?

Satire is a misused word. People use it as cover for their stupidity, but that isn't real satire. Satire makes a point, it has a target, it exposes those in power for the fools they are. It's not just "I was being ironic!" (which is another misused word)

You are missing the point of satire.

Satire is not like sarcasm, because satire is funny, sarcasm is bitter

Please, do me a favor and explain satire to me. I don't fully understand it but I understand that many people misuse it as a guide.

I googled examples of satire, most were like, "I've been watching Britney Spears TV for 10 hours. She really needs to get a life."

I could see how that could be in the news paper's funny section but it's not too funny in my opinion. Can someone post an example of actually funny satire?

Monty python, the life of Bryan not Saturday nightlife old SNL, SCTV.

Also the man who sued gob. The gods must be crazy.

But how does that "expose those in power"?

Satire is not the lowest form of comedy.

It doesn't expose the ones in power it exposes their stupidity,we already know they are in power.

The man who sued God. Great movie

Anybody can lie and say they were just, I'm sure that goes so far back some cavemen paintings depict a scene like that.

Satire is intelligent and entertaining. It can pull you in then teach you a lesson you wouldn't have realized from another perspective.

*just kidding

No, I know that it's supposed to expose their stupidity, I worded that previous post in a weird way. What I meant was how does it expose their stupidity?

So is Mitt using satire in that, or did he not actually say that? Is someone else attempting to make fun of him with that?

>Liberals
>Enjoy alternate perspectives

choose one

No he didn't. Not a good example of what I was saying, but I wanted a meme

Like I said watch some older satire,like Monty Python. There's lots of great British satire, unfortunately there isn't a lot of great recent stuff. SNL suck it used to be the place to satire. SCTV, Mad tv, little Britain . Newer stuff isn't really satire.

Oddly,this might be a better use of meme satire, about the unreasonable expectation of woman to keep their bodies magazine-perfect

Oh, so would this be considered satire?

No I don't think so. You have to look a few examples before you can recognize it well.

There are a lots of good examples in literature, a modest proposal is the most famous for example

OP doesn't get satire and is butthurt about it.

autism detected.

satire is probably the highest form of comedy when done right. Read Candide.

Volatre, Mad Magazine, Steven Colbert, Oscar Wilde, George Orwell, Joseph Heller, Kurt Vonnegut, mark Twain, William S. Burroughs,

bro do u even read?

Nigger detected

The lowest form of comedy is Danny Mcbride.

Kevin James is down there, Rob Snider, larry the cable guy, these are your basic shit tier comedians that couldn't write a clever satire to save their own balls.

Gulliver's Travels was satire.

No, that' just lowbrow racist irony humor.

Dude probably knows more about science than the people that laugh at this.

Nah, that's a staged shot. He's an actor.

Yep all good reads, slaughterhouse 5 all time fave. All,I do is read, just thought Monty Python was a good place to start.

No not satire, racism.

sort of like when a girl answered a question out loud in class and her immediate response would be "oh just kidding". no bitch... you weren't kidding.. you're just stupid...

No nothing like that. If you don't get satire you are missing comedy all together.