Also general punk thread I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8_H4gOf0urI
youtube.com/watch?v=b_FzWHxljYQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Go5t7RHQkEM
youtube.com/watch?v=FxB689o8ifY
youtube.com/watch?v=SGQsTed-4O8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You don't deserve to run this thread if you have a problem with Black Flag. You don't like punk music.

>Black Flag
>good

Meme of the year right here.

you're entitled to your opinion, you just don't like punk rock, so why try to start a thread on it?

bait

I like punk, I just don't like generic entry-level 80's hardcore with the same 3 chords over and over again and no breakdowns.

yeah because Family Man and The Process of Weeding Out are so generic. Nice bait, famalam.

and no when you say you don't like one of the bands that are the cornerstone of punk rock you don't like punk rock. it's not about the chords. that's like saying you listen to hip hop for the beats.

>when you say you don't like one of the bands that are the cornerstone of punk rock you don't like punk rock

Gatekeeping douchebags like you are the reason people hate punk ya dingus.

Black Flag are garbage. Their music has aged fucking terribly and you know it. Take bands like Minor Threat or Cro-Mags, they still sound great today. You can play Out Of Step or The Age Of Quarrel in 2016 and they both still sound great. Compare that to Damaged or My War, they're both generic as fuck and about a zillion other bands have done Black Flag better than Black Flag ever did. Get your head out of your ass.

I hope avant-teens like you stay away from punk music. You've obviously only listened to those two albums.

saged

>avant-teen

I'm 25. I bet you're just some basement dweller who only knows "punk" from what Pitchfork and Noisey spoonfeed him. Come back when you get some better taste faggot.

This thread has more comments than the blog.

You definitely don't act like a 25 year old, judging by your comments. And no, I actually participate in my local punk scene and have learned a lot from my favorite artists and friends. You don't get it. Punk rock isn't about musicianship. What makes you think you get to decide what's good and what's not for punk rock?

saged again incase this is bait

Also, compared to the Cro Mags and Minor Threat, Black Flag definitely belongs up there with them. You're making yourself look dumb, AT LEAST listen to The Process of Weeding out before telling me this. Or Family Man

Is this punk's attempt at being edgy again? Except this time they have nothing to be edgy about besides themselves?

NOFX isnt on the list, disregarded.

>Lol @ low-test beta males who think Hot Water Music are deep because they can’t even tune their guitars properly

OP shilling his blog btw

at least fat mike's smart enough to run his jew label properly and keep NOFX in business, Black Flag were so shit they burned out after rollins and ginn ran SST into the ground lmao.

Delete your shitty blog, OP.

>You just like Rise Above, TV Party and the first 4 songs on My War.

Jokes on you faggot, I love the last three songs on my war because they're some of the first sludge metal tracks ever. They're great.

black flag isn't even hardcore you pleb

that is the exact reason keith morris formed the circle jerks

to make hardcore

black flag is violent punk but that doesnt make it hardcore

>this thread

That's what I'm trying to tell him! OP is pretentious as fuck, or just has ADHD. How are you going to judge a band on their first album? Black Flag was one of those groups that evolved heavily.

>Circle Jerks
>good

Genuine question, whats the difference?
I like Black Fag, Minor Threat, Bad Brains etc. and I've always thought of them as hardcore

>I find it fucking hilarious how Against Me! was basically persona non grata after they did those albums with Butch Vig, but then punks suspiciously latched back onto them after Laura Jane Grace came out as trans. That should tell you loads about how much their fanbase values virtue signalling over authenticity any day of the week.

Surprised no one's complaining about OP's blatant transphobia

>For your latest music trends and life advice so you don't become a cringelord.
Embarrassing

Also Sup Forums trying to discuss punk rock is really wince worthy

Black Flag is American Hardcore but only barely. It still falls under that category. Original punk died around '79

I'm not particularly familiar with either band aside from the first four years which is a very strong classic but that post is fact.

Minor Threat started straight edge and influenced a ton of bands in the latter half of the decade (especially the Youth Crew ones).

Bad Brains were the first band to do the whole spastic, mid-80's hardcore where you shout a million words in 30 seconds and play at 100 miles an hour. They also played CBGB's a fuckton in the late 80's with guys like Gorilla Biscuits and Sick Of It All so they were legit. Also both bands put D.C. hardcore on the map.

almost exclusively if not exclusively the beat

minor threat and bad brains are of course hardcore although not all of their songs and I'm not referring to the reggae

circle jerks recorded wasted again as a specific statement about this very fact

Yeah but they're all still hardcore. They were the kids that grew up in America watching punk rock emerge from England so they wanted to try it themselves.

When you're playing punk rock in the 80's, it's either going to be Hardcore, New Wave, or No Wave.

>liking punk
>hating Fugazi
How is that even possible?

pretty sure Middle Class did that before bad brains

at least thats what "american hardcore" says as I recall although I just specifically remember lou barlow strongly asserting it.

Thanks lads, so speed and rhythm is basically the main factor? Would y'all call stuff like The Germs hardcore?

Everyone who makes an article like that should be required to list their favorites

the Germs are kind of in that barrier between the death of punk and the birth of hardcore. They're still technically hardcore though I'd say. Straight punk is like the Ramones, Sex Pistols, Clash, Buzzcocks, the Damned. I'm blanking on other original American punk bands right now. New York had a scene.

and speed is NOT the main factor, no. It's about the attitude and lyrics. Hardcore to me is like real angry or rebellious kids making punk rock in their garage because they saw the Sex Pistols on TV. a real DIY ethic. the music can either be faster, or in black flags case, heavier, or in the Germs case, more savage. Usually darker themes

Something like the Wipers or the B-52's that have a more upbeat sound, optimistic and love lyrics, that's what they call New Wave.

This.

And then the nerve to talk shit on all the wonders Dischord has to offer?

Stay pleb, OP.

The Germs are borderline hardcore. They started as straight punk but G.I. is pretty fast.

Even then I wouldn't say speed is the main factor but rhythm for sure. Late 80's and 90's hardcore ramps up the heaviness quite a lot but still keeps the rhythm and fast beats.

>talking about punk
>complains about "the same 3 chords over and over again and no breakdowns"

>all the wonders Dischord has to offer

Yeah if you like boring, generic post-hardcore with crappy production that goes nowhere and a bunch of bands that rip off Unwound.

offhand I wanna say no unless there's a song I'm forgetting despite many of them being violent and absolutely hard as fuck

hardcore is a very specific style, not simply some musical adjective.

holy shit this guys an idiot.

Dischord was around for a good 10 years before Unwound. Nobody bump this retards thread

>and speed is NOT the main factor, no. It's about the attitude and lyrics.

Man, quite a bit of early hardcore was simply "Play as fast as you can" and not much else.

Yes but not all of it. Like the Cro-Mags, Black Flag, Fang, Flipper, stuff like that.

Fugazi don't even have any breakdowns, how are they hardcore? They don't even use the fast beat or lower tuning. Asking Alexandria are more hardcore than they are

Ginn is still making mad dope not giving royalties to past members
youtube.com/watch?v=8_H4gOf0urI

Watch this

Is this even OP anymore?

I mean musically what is there? guitar and drums

and I don't think guitars in hardcore got into significantly different styles to signify a genre until grindcore

lyrics I dont really ever use to differentiate actual music genres as opposed to jus tthemes and I dont think hardcore vocals got significantly different enough to signify a new genre until

wait for it

death metal

youtube.com/watch?v=b_FzWHxljYQ

They're Hardcore Punk, not Hardcore. People use it as an abbreviation. We're talking about two different genres. Converge, Circle Takes The Square, Orchid, Underoath. Those are Hardcore AKA Screamo

Nice try faggot!

The NYHC bands at the time like Cro-Mags, Leeway, Agnostic Front were typically a bit heavier and slower than the west coast bands (your T.S.O.L.'s or your Minutemens).

>Orchid
>hardcore

I think you're confusing metalCORE of which converge were pioneers

they incorporate elements of hardcore punk which gives the genre part of its name but that doesnt make them hardcore

I'm a fan of the real speedy hardcore like Bad Brains, Poison Idea, Adrenalin OD, Gorilla Biscuits

Could anyone drop some more names in this vein?

>he doesn't like marginal man, three, beefeater, dag nasty, ignition, government issue, soulside, etc

disgusting

a lot newer but Born Against reminded me of Poison Idea especially the vocals

Always thought of those as more hardcore than hardcore punk.

Bands like the Mad, Kraut, Adrenalin O.D., and Heart Attack represented the NY hardcore punk scene imo.

They're in that fast style that I associate with hardcore punk.

Whatever though, it's never fun to argue about genres.

reagan youth, inside out, judge, the faith, negative approach, SSD, articles of faith, christ on parade, 7 seconds, bold, millions of dead cops

ty guise

What do you think of stuff like Gorilla Biscuits, Bold or Youth Of Today? They're pretty much fast, zippy hardcore punk, I'd say they were a nice counterbalance to the heavier stuff at the time.

hardcore is hardcore punk

He didn't say they were, he said why he started the band.

Converge is not metalcore. Orchid and Converge are both Screamo, and Hardcore is synonymous

well at least Jane Doe isnt metalcore, thats all ive listened to.

Hawthorne Heights are my favorite hardcore band.

Haven't listened to much but there are some Gorilla Biscuits songs I like.

I mean crossover thrash whatever. They've got that metal influence that takes them away from the hardcore punk label.

I think this is NY Hardcore Punk

youtube.com/watch?v=Go5t7RHQkEM

Not Cro-Mags, Agnostic Front, Leeway and all of that.

>millions of dead cops

I already dislike this band. Edgy as fuck

actually they're just gay

>crossover thrash

I still love that stuff, it's all hardcore to me anyway. Doesn't matter what you label it as.

MDC is actually really good. Definitely one of the more hardcore sounding groups

>I mean crossover thrash

OK we're on the same page.

Speaking of which, are there any decent crossover bands today besides power trip and iron reagan?

they're mostly a joke band desu

the name was just to piss people off in the early 80s. They actually released multiple albums under MDC as a different acronym each time.

>millions of dead children
>magnus dominus corpus
>millions of damn christians
>metal devil cokes

and a bunch more

wtf I love MDC now

me 2

youtube.com/watch?v=FxB689o8ifY

.Yeah, I like it too, just prefer that classic early 80's hardcore sound.

MDC are just fun as fuck.

youtube.com/watch?v=SGQsTed-4O8

I'm new to punk. Last week Sup Forums recommended me Wolfbrigade and I really liked it. What kind of punk is it?

Fuck that article, Fugazi is one of the best bands of all time, not just in punk.

Black Flag I'm not a huge fan of, but most people who say they're overrated probably didn't listen to their later albums. They were really one of the first post-hardcore bands by the end, you can't really call their sound a "tired rehash."

As for punk in general, I find it strange that people only really use the word to describe the less interesting bands in the genre. Punk to me is more of an ideology and aesthetic than a particular sound. I don't see why Godspeed You! Black Emperor, for example, shouldn't be considered a punk band. The genre dries up very quickly if you just limit it to the sonic qualities of early British punk and American hardcore.

google says

"Wolfbrigade is a Swedish hardcore punk band formed in 1995."

So there you go.

GY!BE may have the punk aesthetic but they already created the term post rock for what they do.

i like to think of punk as an adjective rather than an actual genre term, at least for music from more recent years

>i like to think of punk as an adjective rather than an actual genre term, at least for music from more recent years

There is definitely some truth to this. Especially since the lines between metal and punk have become more and more blurred as the decades pass. Its more about ethics these days imo.

>Wolfbrigade

Never listened to them until now.

They make me think of Entombed gone more punk instead of hard rock.

But yeah it's hardcore.

What is it about GYBE's ethics/M.O. that you would consider punk? Genuinely curious. What other bands would you say follow a similar path that don't fit into the punk musical genre?

>What is it about GYBE's ethics/M.O.

No idea, I dont listen to them and I wasn't the guy who posted about them lol

>What other bands would you say follow a similar path that don't fit into the punk musical genre?

anything DIY

well after grunge kind of brought punk to the mainstream, any prolific artists would already be familiar with the punk ethos, and most of them adopted it into their own style. at least the successful ones did.

>GY!BE may have the punk aesthetic but they already created the term post rock for what they do.
Why can't it be both? There's an SMZ album called something along the lines of "This Is Our Punk Rock." Post-Rock describes the sound, punk describes the attitude and ideology. To me, anything that is anti-establishment, DIY and independent can qualify as punk.

Not him, but they have explicitly called out major labels for political ties (see Yanqui U.X.O.), have used samples with anti-establishment rhetoric (see BBF3), and have a clear community aspect to their music and its distribution. They even said in an interview that there are two types of music: music to be played in the king's court, and music for the serfs outside, and that they fall into the latter. They've remained independent and DIY throughout their career.

As for other bands, there's a lot of noise rock and even 90s indie that I'd consider punk to an extent. Even accepted punk subgenres like post-hardcore I don't think come to mind immediately when people say "punk," when I think it should be just as relevant (if not more at this point) as Sex Pistols, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Black Flag etc.

Oh, and post-punk. Some people talk about it as an extension of punk, others as if it's something completely different. I think for a lot of bands it's the former.

>To me, anything that is anti-establishment, DIY and independent can qualify as punk
i agree but for the sake of classifying bands it's easier to just go with post rock because that describes the music most accurately rather than the ideology.

I disagree. The thread is about punk. If we agree if punk is more about the ideas than the sound, I don't see why they shouldn't be mentioned. If punk just means a lot of bands that sound the same, that disqualifies even many bands that traditionally qualify as punk.

Obviously if there is a thread about post-rock, they would be mentioned too. That's why it's both.

For a website claiming that people who like Black Flag are elitists, they should be the last to say that Dead Kennedys fans aren't true fans of punk

Refused are good faggot

Seriously who cares? Punk is no longer a threat. It's all Dad-Rock now.