Holy shit

Holy shit,
More songs that sound like Melatonin/have a similar style beat? I need more of that funky bass sound.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LNbug0_F0Io
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>implying Kids isn't the best track

>implying Kids isn't the worst track
FTFY

>hating a track with Andre3k

fuck right off

Solid Wall Of Sound is my personal favourite track off the album

GONNA HEAR ELECTRIC MUSIC

Predict his score.

JEDI, ALI, PHIFEY, TIP

strong 8 to a light 9

Whateva Will Be is such an underrated track though. Mad Vibes.

This album has one of the greatest album covers ever

I can honestly see him giving this a 9, maybe even a 10. I mean it's actually kind of similar to TPAB in the sense that it's a lot of just really great rapping, great lyrics (mostly) and great beats. It delivers everything that he normally looks for in hip-hop. I mean back before TPAB got a 10 I was saying "no fucking way will he give TPAB a 10" but then I got completely bfto so I don't even know what to think now. But I really feel like this album just majorly checks all of Fantano's essential boxes, minus being experimental or abrasive.

Fantano digs spacey jazz hip hop at least as much as he digs noisy experimental shit, so this album really does have a chance, but I just don't think it's as good as TPAB. When TPAB first came out it was clearly a masterpiece, with WGIFH I feel like it's 'just' fantastic.

Honestly I think I might like this ATCQ album more than TPAB. It's more consistent, pretty much every song is good and can stand on its own. TPAB had some amazing songs but there were also some pretty awful ones too (and all of the fucking skits). This new album is almost like a more relaxed, traditional version of TPAB, but in a good way.

I feel the exact opposite tbqh. There isn't a song on TPAB I didn't like, with WGIFH there are some songs i'm not quite sure about. The songwriting is very challenging for a hip hop record, so a lot of them are growing on me as I make heads or tails, but some tracks are just disjointed/random. I guess you can dig this style, but I think ATCQ's power is in smoothness rather.

Maybe I'm just edgy but I honestly think GKMC is significantly better than TPAB.

this has that groovyness. Not as upbeat but the album is gr8.
youtube.com/watch?v=LNbug0_F0Io

Melatonin was funky as fuck, just wished they'd fleshed out the sound for the entire album.

Hmm here I completely disagree, sorry man. GKMC is great, but Kendrick's verses are kinda boring at times, the production is too trendy and misses on many tracks, and I don't buy those long ass 'story telling' tracks where nothing really happens musically. TPAB was a real breath of fresh air to me, rap-wise, production-wise, it's all alive, and it's just something else.

To me, GKMC felt like an actual complete, cohesive album, with a strong but NOT pretentious message; whereas TPAB felt like an ambitious experiment with mixed results.

>defending a track simply because it has Andre
you fucking hypebeast faggots need to leave this board

TPAB was made to keep the critics happy. It's really good but also lazy and indulgent.

Any other artist we'd be calling a sell out for putting out that shit when ur that famous already and respected. You don't need to be breaking ground all the time but there was no effort made whatsoever on that album.

Hm, I can see how you might think that. It has very controversial tracks among its many adventures, for me personally they are all successful, but you know.

Like it or not this is just a dumb comment. TPAB is the most challenging, untrendy album Kendrick could have imaginably put out.

>I ain't even gon' lie, I was probably high
>Just forgot to rap, simple as that

He could have done an entire FlyLo album and it would have been more of a statement. Or an entire funk-rap album or a sad-rap album.

Instead it's a bloated album stuffed with too many ideas, none of which were new or daring or even his own.

Which is sad because Kendrick Lamar is a weapon and he could have used himself way more interestingly.

Find me a funk-rap/trip hop/jazz hop/spoken word/weird-ass-rnb album which sounds like TPAB though. It brilliantly flows between all those definitions, being its own animal. Find me a track on this album which isn't daring.

I think this reaches just as far experimentally as TPAB. And it's 15 years earlier, half the star power, released into a much more talented field of artists.

If we're talking just the music, I'd say they're about even. But when are we ever talking about just the music?

this

These Walls, Alrite, King Kunta, and the Blacker the Berry are pretty much old school Dre bangers. Then you have some Outkast on there and some FlyLo and some Glasper. I don't like to hear a borrowed formula

Not one of the tracks you mentioned qualifies for an 'old school dre banger'. Some of these have G funk influences in them, but they aren't simple at all.

In These walls, the weird-ass psychedelic vocals which tun throughout the album are very prominent, running on a deep, atmospheric yet funky beat which I don't even know how to define. Then it all breaks to a spacey, fusion-esque saxophone, and Kendrick's haunting verse, how does any of that 'bang'? Synths on the chorus?

Alright is, again, driven on this weird vocal sample, flowing between straight hip hop and funk. Kendrick's vocals and flow keep switching up being harmonic, aggressive, and on and on. And it keeps approaching a climax with this broken sax and tempo pickups. And instead it goes to this slowed down atmospheric rnb hook. It's far from being formulaic.

King Kunta is my least favorite track on TPAB, but it's clearly way more raw, connected to roots of funk and blues, and aggressive than any classic hip hop banger. And those Dre-inspired processed vocals on top of a slapping bass with Kendrick's most vulgar delivery. And the meltdown with the electric guitar in the end. Where have you heard anything like that? It's catchy and fun, yet super detailed.

Blacker The Berry is the least experimental of the tracks you mentioned, but 'dre bangers' don't have this furious, dirty rapping, or this dark Jamaican hook. It's an 'in your face track', and it's effective.

I respect Black On Both Sides but it's overrated. The fusion Mos creates isn't unheard of, and the production might be crisp but there were far more adventurous things going on at 99. And the rapping is lackluster. Black Star is so much better.

All credit to the rockstar beatmakers and producers on this album. Kendrick has a talent for inheriting great beats and not fucking em up. I'd like to see him do more with less.

This could play out as a mad lib for TPAB and GKMC

Kendrick was super involved with the music, read some interviews of musicians who worked with him on the record.