Germanics

How different are really Germans from Austrians from Swiss?
Do you get upset if you're wrongly identified?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Saint-Germain-en-Laye_(1919)
youtu.be/9bTKSin4JN4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg_Friedrich,_Prince_of_Prussia
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I am greek

I am Greek and get upset all the time because of that.

Regional differences are bigger and more relevant.

Southern germans are more like austrians.
Northerners are more like the dutch.

Swiss people are like germans to the germans.

Not that I have any expertise in it all, but I see the Benelux lot as related to but separate from Germans

That's true it's always those fuckers on the other side of ther river/next village that you hate.

Well you can't count a large part of Belgium.

Same people, different religions

>religions
Not really. Germans and swiss are half-half catholic and protestant and the austrians are catholic.

I don't want to be associated with Switzerland and Austria.
Germans are okay.

Rheinland Pfalz best Bundesland, fuck all Germans in the north or east.

Bavaria is fine as well though.

Should be the luxembourg in the picture, the Netherlands is not very related. Same people different accents (germany, switzerland and austria)

Pretty much a non-bundesland

great-grandpa was from Bern, tell me about muh heritage Sup Forums

Not at all, unless you claim you have a clue about those countries and mistake me for anything but a Bavarian or Frank. Then you're full of shit.

I think the alleged strong feelings about this stem from a time when simply "not being a German, but Austrian/Swiss" got you insta-better treatment.

Well Austrians, Swiss and South Germans aren't germanic. They belong to the alpine race. Both in mentality and looks they are different than North Germans. Alpine people are shorter, have a more roundish face and have usually darker hair.

Your heritage is comfy

I'm from the north-east and our old dialect was very dutch-like. The bavarians are very close to the austrians; and the swabians and alemanians are more closely related to swiss germans.
That being said, as dialects are much less common today, it is for me easier to understand a swiss german than a dutch person. On the other hand, i am more likely to understand a little dutch, compared to a southerner.

Dutch people are more extravert and easier going Germans.
We're in between Germans and Brits.

And the difference between Dutch people and Belgians is that Dutch people are like Americans (loud, believe in our superiority, capitalistic) and Belgians like British (uptight, more polite and reserved, swallow words).

I wish more of you spoke Romansch

I am from the very north and i feel more danish than austrian etc
Netherlands is ok too.

Do Austrians like Spaniards?

Bavarian and Austrians are ok. The other germans are autistic. Swiss i dont know. They say they consider germans lazy fucks, what I also do.

Disgusting traitor.

Have you met Germans? Normally Bavarians are considered as autistic here.

Despite Austrian protests, they're just German.

Dude, the difference is politics.

People in Trier speak sth like Letzeburgisch, people at the border of the netherlands migjt speak platt deutsch or just understand dutchies.

I honestly don't know a single Spaniard personally. They were all South or Central American.

Fun fact: Austria would be called German Austria if it weren't for the German-Austrohungarian alliance butthurt of the WW1 victors.

Please explain, ketchup and mayo man.

Walloons are only 1/3th of the population

SCHEISSE

Frenchies count you, swiss and luxemburgers as francophone.

Breddy arrogant, with majorities in each not speaking french as native tongue.

i must say that the german speaking region are really nice people, i just have the feeling that they are allways a bit forgotten on the international scale

>Luxemburg
>Switzerland
>Not being part of greater Germany

Kek

Like Luxemburg.

Heim ins Heilige römische Reich deutscher Nation already.

I work with non bavarians in bavaria... Also I was very disapointed with the way people work in germany. 0 Ordnung und keine Arbeitlust or Arbeit at all. Faul like Andalusians on a 50C afternoon.

It's really too bad that Germany chose High German as the common language. Low German is so much easier to understand if you speak Dutch.

Well they're not even that big of a minority to be honest. They've already got a entire part of the government dedicated to them even though there are more speakers of Arabian than German living in Belgium.

But I think you're right in that Belgians should learn more German in school. They focus too much on just Dutch or French.

No way they think we're French
They tried enough and they failed

Peace treaty of St. Germain
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Saint-Germain-en-Laye_(1919)
>Article 88 of the treaty required Austria to refrain from directly or indirectly compromising its independence, which meant that Austria could not enter into political or economic union with the German Reich without the agreement of the council of the League of Nations. Accordingly, the new republic's initial self-chosen name of German-Austria (German: Deutschösterreich) had to be changed to Austria

Somehow we are more productive and work less hours than southerners.

>Really makes you think

Only if we get another Austrian to rule us.

very much so , what bothers me a bit is that we have no options to learn dutch/flemish in school i mean it's not that difficult considering that luxembourgish grammar is practically identical ,it should be at least an optional subject

You do. And I ask myself how every day.

I hope I'll find out one day.

North were far less and in totallity less rich, so they got shat on language wise by the south until the northerners spoke perfect standard german and lost their old native ones (frisian, low german).

Standard german was built from Luthers buble translation in which he mashed together a lot of southern dialects.as they were neber forced, or had to, learn standard german they kept their own wierd dialects due to being close "enough" to standard german wheras the north rules standard german from the time of göthe.

Tell that to the frrnch and waloons that believe only french can portray the ideals of humanism.

Those fuckers, divide and conwuer.

What is the public opinion on Spanish/Spaniards? If there is a public opinion on us.

youtu.be/9bTKSin4JN4

Someone old once told me:

Germans are direct cause their land is flat, you build a road straight from A to B with no problems.

Switzerland is hilly and mountainous, we can't be direct and must improvise.

Can't believe this shit acually holds up lel

Yeah it's too bad that so many people in the benelux are so afraid to go out of their linguistic zones.

Like for example I know a girl from Maastricht who often went to Flanders and sometimes to Aken but had never even been in Liege. Just because she was too afraid to use French (even though I'm sure she had some knowledge of the language)

>I don't want to be associated with Switzerland and Austria.
Why not?

i mean in the case of luxembourg it is not that people won't leave their language zone it's just that the governement doesn't provide the option to learn dutch ,we get the option to study italian or spanish as a subject but not dutch

I wonder how the Dutch would've looked at the low german speakers living in provinces like Groningen or Drenthe. Like would they've been considered more German than Dutch?

It's really sad that regional languages are neglected like that. Like okay knowing international languages is a great asset for a country but this way communication between bordering countries will start to decline.

But you fucked up, Hans. Twice.

Actually we fucked up once as we didn't plan to annex anyone in WW1

Dont you also have frisians and others that also live in germany?

>Swiss people are like germans to the germans.
What does it mean?

>we didn't plan to annex anyone
Bethmann Hollweg called for Luxembourg to become a German federal state, and for that result to be forced upon the Luxembourgish people once Germany achieved victory over the Triple Entente

Yeah but that's a bit different. Frisians are also a minority in Germany. In my previous post I wondered how the Dutch would look at the people in the east of their country if the language was more or less the same as the common German dialect.
Namely if Low German was in fact standard German we maybe would've seen people from Drenthe and Groningen also as German.

What do you think is typical german?
We think that about the swiss.

You may did not want to annex, you still fuck'd. Sorry.

so swiss = cucked faggot?

rude

>Tfw Dad never taught me low german.

Ex-Dutchie here. I can confirm that this is bullshit. People there are not extravert.

Yeah, rude!

Go and bully Lithuanians, has more tradition.

I just talked to german girl from Ruhr district.
She hates southerners lel
Probably because her ancestors were coal miners and Bavaria are rich

You live in Spain now. This gives a false perspetive. On a scale from Finnland to Bazil Dutch are a 4 and we are 2-3.

>Probably because her ancestors were coal miners and Bavaria are rich
Ironically bavaria was poor and the coal regions are the first industrialized parts.

>tfw no Lower Franconian linguistic empire

What's your honest opinion on Spaniards germanic senpaitachi?
I feel like before crisis we had a really good image and nowadays it's getting worse and worse.
Also I have German family and they 're pretty cool.
Apart from my family I can tell from my personal experience that Germans are really nice people, and Dutch not so much. I love Belgians, nicest people I've met abroad along Irish, don't know about the Swiss.

So even more orderly and emotionless?

>tfw countries call themselves Germanic but don't have a royal family

This. Also weirder with darker secrets.

We have the english royal family...

No, you have Angela

Amazing history,culture and old buildings.
Great food as well.

Sadly also very likely to fight other apaniards about regional shit like italians.

I have a lot of respect that you are able to pull your own ass out of the fire, not like the greeks.
Even though we and the other money bag euros do not make it easy for you.

>Also the spanish women meme, I have a thing for what I think of as med/arab mixed women.

Tell me about saxony
Did he survive the communism?

We have,we just have no monarchie.

Your royal family fled to the Netherlands

Weren't it only the coal mine owners that were rich? Coal miners were poor as hell, I assume?

I know, but we have also kings of bavaria.

The prussians are our imperial family though.

A lot of royal houses in Europe have German descent. Denmark too and with Denmark, Norway too.

True but bavarian farmers weren't rich either.

>Dutch not so much
I live in the Netherlands -now back in Spain for the holidays- and they're great. I had a bad experience with one guy, but everyone else has been super open, fun and well, overall they have all been great. Total bros.
What happened to you? If you don't mind sharing.

i mean our ducal family is pretty alright

We just have so many minor houses that were not dangerous to marry in regards of shcession.

Do they show up in social events?

Saxony didn't survived saxony.

You do have them
They just aren't currently occupying a throne

I have no idea about your aristocracy though, probably got fucked by communism in the east

Bullshit, go suck Angela's clit

:(
whats the king of saxony up to nowadays?

It would've been even better if Wilhelmina could've inherited it.

No our imperial family is still alive.

>Ex-Dutchie here
ex?

Please, post a pic or a name

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg_Friedrich,_Prince_of_Prussia

The last reigning king died. His offsprings are partly degenerated to low level prominentes.

Just here for answers as well but i can add that they are still the heads of several prestigious orders and still at the top of the social circle.

Cool castle as well. Good thing it wasnt in prussia eh?

No German nobility stey out of public. They send their kids in privat schools get them in high jobs in important positions in our economy and own a shit ton of land, they also only get kids with other nobility.

I know this because I made my apprenticeship in HongKong for a high germany company where I was privatly lectored in a swiss/german school. I was the only not nobel kid on that entire school. I was also they only one who would work for that company after finnishing apprenticeship all the other royal kids just did becuase it looked good in their curriculum vitae

most likely , i mean the next grand-duce is going to be a good lad ,i'm just not very fond of our current one , he has this horrible french accent when he tries to speak luxembourgish