Saddest Radiohead song?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6zO6y88kL7s&index=156
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Personally, Exit music(for a film)

Fake Plastic Trees
All I Need
Karma Police to Fitter Happier

Motion Picture Soundtrack. I bawled like a bitch to that song.

>that moment in Black Mirror
This

How to Disappear Completely. Can't believe this wasn't the first reply.

Thats a good one too

True Love Waits

>I'm not living
>I'm just killing time

Let Down

why? It's about liberation from controlling, judgemental parents to live happily ever after. That's the happiest song on the whole album

fade out always gets me

acoustic version of Fake Plastic Trees

Life in a Glasshouse

Bulletproof

The water's clear
And innocent

they havent aged well for me
they sound like all aesthetic and no substance
anyone else get this feeling?

I honestly feel the opposite, with age they become more raw and emotional

CREEP

>no substance

what? Have you bothered to explore their lyrics? Radiohead is bursting at the seams with substance on a large majority of their songs

this. what is that faggot even talking about?

Oh didnt know that lol but it just sounds sad i guess :v

Street Spirit
Motion Picture Soundtrack
Videotape

It's just you, man. You don't know what you're talking about.

hah I agree with that much. Go look up the lyrics, they're really captivating

As I recently fell in love. I found Weird Fishes.to be incredibly sad.

Life in a Glass House
Fake Plastic Trees
Nice Dream
Bullet Proof
Black Star
Nude
Videotape
True Love Waits
How To Disappear Completely
Let Down

Why Videotape? I always thought of it as a secretly optimistic song, All I Need or Nude have been the by far saddest songs on the album to me.

>nowadays I feel panicked
>I cease to exist
>I have ceased to exist

>I feel absolutely nothing
>these words are out of ink
>these words you know are out of ink

True Love Waits is both one of their saddest and happiest songs.

Every radiohead song, it makes me sad that they are so bad.

b8

>pyramid song

the first one because of what it started :(

You've become a cynical Sup Forums shitposter.

You probably share this opinion with half the board.

I'll take a quiet life
A handshake of carbon monoxide

Let Down!

Underrated song on the most underrated Radiohead album, it's more depressing that some people thing that Amnesiac is worse than KoL

fuck.

I'M LE CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
I'M LE WEIRDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
WHAT LE HELL AM I DOING HERE?
I DON'T LE BELONG HERE

Some of their songs are too long and repetitive, like knives out. Songs like bloom and the national anthem are trying to be chaotic but it sounds like doodoo

upboated and gilded XD

Hi Mr. Scaruffi

>it sounds like doodoo
So does your musical intelligence and critical listening skills

>knives out
>too long

Reminder that we're talking about a four minute song here.

yikes

also knives out is 4 minutes long dude

Well you could read it that way, but it was written for the Romeo + Juliet movie. So I always imagine it's Romeo and Juliet hoping that the 2 families choke for having the feud that prevented them from being together

Fitter Happier is the only one that made me cry.
I was really drunk and it just clicked...

>killing yourself
>living happily ever after

Its repititive past @round the 3:15
minute mark. He doesn't need to sing the last verse

>not liking national anthem

motion picture soundtrack

>Fake Plastic Trees
>Black Star
>Street Spirit
>Let Down
>No Surprises
>How to Disappear Completely
>Motion Picture Soundtrack
>Pyramid Song
>Like Spinning Plates
>Sail to the Moon
>Nude
>Weird Fishes
>All I Need
>Harry Patch
>Give Up the Ghost
>Glass Eyes

9 Thms

I never even knew it was for Romeo and Juliet, I don't really care about movies. I just read the lyrics on paper as a couple eloping and wishing death on their parents for the atrocities forced on them and the physical and emotional wounds left. They don't even hint at suicide or otherwise death of the couple in the song

That's an interesting perspective though

Gotta be True Love Waits

>the last acoustic part of paranoid android

Black Mirror

>That's an interesting perspective though
It is THE perspective, that's what they intended for the song.

Are you retarded?

Banshee beat

I'm gonna interpret it my way, you can interpret it yours. The intention is what the intention is, this is true, but the meaning is in the eye of the beholder.

>hurr durr what is the death of the author

that's Animal Collective user

youtube.com/watch?v=6zO6y88kL7s&index=156 here's Kishi Bashi, and this is literally one of the best songs I've ever heard.

As for OP, "How to Disappear Completely"

Last flowers to the hospital leave me very sad

4 minute warning for me

Don't know about the saddest one but Fake Plastic Trees is their best one

I like how you responded so seriously to his shitpost lol. Also great taste by the way, Lighght is the shit. I saw him at my city's festival a few months ago(I live in his hometown of Athens) and he was mindblowing. He did this cool thing where he layered over his own vocal tones and created these crazy harmonies for us just on his own without backing music or anything. He's a great performer

>you can interpret it yours
I didn't state how I interpret it.
>but the meaning is in the eye of the beholder.
Not if the artist had a specific meaning
An idea by a gay failed artist himself who had daddy issues.

>Reading Comp
I never implied that you did
>Not if the artist had a specific meaning
that's just not true. Look, I'm doing it right now. Art is subjective user, pull the stick out of your ass

Hey, person who originally mentioned Romeo + Juliet. I'm not the guy who called you retarded, that was somebody else. I know it doesn't matter because anonymity but. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Have a nice day

I listened to them for the first time. They have great lyrics, but musically I only really liked OK Computer and In Limbo from Kid A.

LOL I guess it was a shitpost, I just had to. It wasn't that difficult. (I love Banshee Beat btw)

>I never implied that you did
You specifically brought it up here
>you can interpret it yours
When we weren't talking about it at all. Of course you implied it.
>Art is subjective user
Yet it was created objectively by the artist. This isn't even a case of the artist not telling us what it's about,l because Thom even told the story of how the song came about. Don't you research things you listen to?

I'm done arguing about what you inferred, because it's not what I implied.

Yes, and like I said artist intention is one thing and personal meaning is another. Of course Thom had intentions of what the song is. That doesn't stop me from viewing it a different way because I prefer that way.

I research stuff I listen to when I care to, but not always. For something like Kate Bush's Cloudbusting, obviously there's a whole huge backstory about Wilhelm Reich that is incredibly important to the song's meaning, but other songs I'll just make my own opinion and move on.
it's a great song

>Of course Thom had intentions of what the song is. That doesn't stop me from viewing it a different way because I prefer that way
You didn't know the other way. You never bothered researching it. You didn't prefer anything over another because you didn't even know there was another way.

So what it comes down to is that people who hide behind subjectivity and "Death of the Author" are uneducated and don't research what they are listening to.

Karma Police's ending

Jesus christ, not the tripfag you're replying to but stop being such a pedant.

One great thing about Radiohead's music is that, for a lot of people, it takes a personal meaning for them. In fact, Thom seemed to be happy of that fact when he was asked about the meaning of IMBW.

Yes, Exit Music was written for R+J, most people don't know that because that movie is a shitty obscure film. Who gives a fuck though? Stop trying to police how people enjoy the music they enjoy.

Motion Picture Soundtrack
Street Spirit (Fade Out)
No Surprises

These three are the most sad and any other anwser is wrong

how has noone said daydreaming yet?

I'm the only one that finds the tourist to be sad? Ok

>for a lot of people, it takes a personal meaning for them
That's fine, they'd still be wrong about it though, unless they coincidentally interpreted it the way that the artist intended. Which is possible. But in this case it didn't happen
>most people don't know that because that movie is a shitty obscure film
Is this what millennials actually believe?
>Stop trying to police how people enjoy the music they enjoy.
What? He is free to misinterpret the song all he wants.

Pyramid Song, for fuck sake. But sad in a beautiful, nice way. What a fucking masterpiece.

motion picture soundtrack, let down, no surprises, and true love waits all had me sobbing

AMSP is their saddest album. It's not depressing like Kid A or angry like HTTT just genuienly sorrowful

Nah the tourist is sad for me

The sample makes this song sound too much like Passion Pit - Sleepyhead.

I don't know which one came out first but that's all I can think of when I listen to this.

This reminds me of Third, by Portishead. Musically was weird, kind of ugly, even, but it is just sorrowful, as you said about AMSP.

I don't know, it just feels like giving up (Third), and even though it's not pretty, it made me fall in love with it.

I fuckin love that record. More than their first two actually.

Lurgee

>That's fine, they'd still be wrong about it though, unless they coincidentally interpreted it the way that the artist intended. Which is possible. But in this case it didn't happen
But Thom doesn't "intend" for his music be to interpreted any specific way. He's open to the idea of people taking the music to mean whatever the hell they want it to mean especially if it means something personally to them. It's not like his lyrics are literal and easy to decipher.

>Is this what millennials actually believe?
I'm not a millennial and I'm likely older than you. Romeo + Juliet is not a popular film nor was it particularly well received. I'm not even saying it's a bad film, but let's not pretend it's fucking Pulp Fiction.

>What? He is free to misinterpret the song all he wants
Sure, just like every fan likely does, because none of them are Thom Yorke. Hell, Exit Music isn't as literal as you may think it is.

For some one who is giving others the permission to "misinterpret" lyrics you sure seem to care.

AMSP is about Thom's divorce so it has this very specific theme behind the music. That makes it so sad. I don't know what was the concept behind Third but I understand your analogy.

It's sad for sure, but not their most depressing.
Pyramid Song to me has a sort of calm and absolving quality underlying it. Like you are accepting your past wrongs and faults and moving on.

Well, for me Dummy is just fantastic. Nostalgic, beautfiul, well balanced, but Third is what I just said. It's just about not being able to carry on (pun not intended). I don't know, hard to express, even harder when english is not my mother language.

read on wiki that Freedom by Charles Mingus inspired the song. So take that how you will I guess

yeah, man. "half of my life". that's just fucking depressing.

My favorite lyrics from that gotta be this from Present Tense

>I won't get heavy, don't get heavy, keep it light and keep it moving
>I am doing, No harm as my world comes crashing down

It has this very mature way of dealing with sorrow. It's very touching.

>radiohead ripping off a much more talented musicain
im shocked

yeah, but that song is like 8 years old so it probably has nothing to do with the seperation

My problem with Dummy is that while it starts off strong it just gets too "samey" after a while, you know? Also, it's a little too safe at times like it wants to be just background music. I prefer Massive Attack when it comes to trip-hop cause they're just more varied.

Also, I think the production didn't age well. That's not a thing I usually care about, but in Dummy's case it somehow bothers me.

I know but they probably decided put Present Tense on this album for a reason. Same with True Love Waits.

now you mention Massive Attack, it happens kind of the same with Mezzanine. My favorite album by them, and the first four-five songs are probably some of the best in the whole trip-hop scenario. Now after Exchange it gets a little messy with a couple of unnecesary moments that are by themselves fucking great, but in contrast with the first half of the album, they are not that great.

I have to agree that Dummy get worse in the second half also. Numb and Biscuit...Well. But Roads and the album closer, Glory Box, always compensate for the previous ones.