Dated Music

When someone says music is 'dated' it's usually meant as an insult, but I don't see it that way. Sure some albums have a 'dated' sound but those dated sounds are some of the best sounds of that era.

Do you think music being dated is a bad thing? And if so, why??

[Pic somewhat related]

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4_MEJhDZBvA
youtube.com/watch?v=IH2MGQ6mpKE&list=PLcSSv4SEtg6vkSM0veub3ZxrGxFELu5Xr
youtube.com/watch?v=J1eBS8avHrg
youtube.com/watch?v=aca4oAAhx1I
youtube.com/watch?v=QMRfbtUY1T4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't even consider it a valid criticism. All music is more or less a product of its contemporary culture. It should be understood and appreciated on those terms IMO.

Doesn't matter a fuck to me my sweet-natured friend.

>my sweet-natured friend.
Awwwwww...Thank You.

You're welcome. :)

I still like it, but you can definitely hear the age in the production.

"Dated" is short for "outdated", which is inherently negative.

yeah, people tend to use it as a criticism, but it often usually implies that the sound is representative of some time

like, it's hard to hear Creedence Clearwater Revival's Fortunate Son without thinking of the Vietnam war - it's dated as all hell, but if you want music that makes people think of Vietnam, it's the gold standard

there are many situations, where "dated music" is precisely what you want to listen to - they hold a lot of cultural value - but, sure, they come with some baggage as well

Just heard this the other day and I thought it was dated in a bad way. It's over produced and too disco influenced, which just doesn't work for the Grateful Dead.

For the morbidly curious: youtube.com/watch?v=4_MEJhDZBvA

If someone says something is "dated" or "aged like milk" it was probably not that good to begin with.

...Fuck I really really REALLY like this.
That brass.

if Sup Forums had only opinions like this
this board might not be shit

>like, it's hard to hear Creedence Clearwater Revival's Fortunate Son without thinking of the Vietnam war - it's dated as all hell
Why? It can apply to any war

You'll probably like the rest of it then. It just didn't work for me, but I'll still give it another chance some time.

I did really like the album right before it, Blues For Allah, which was funk influenced. I guess I would call that one dated in a good way: youtube.com/watch?v=IH2MGQ6mpKE&list=PLcSSv4SEtg6vkSM0veub3ZxrGxFELu5Xr

When music sounds "dated" to me, it's usually because its using some sort of fads of the time for no real reason other than they had temporary popularity. Like SAW 85-92 sounds dated, but in a cool, best of the times way, whereas Nerve Net sounds dated in a "cliche nineties techno" way.

Funk is slowly becoming my favorite genre thanks to stuff like this.

Thank you for showing me this, user. It's glorious. This and Herbie Hancock. So beautiful...

But it wasn't written about any war

well i think forrest gump had a lot to do with that

youtube.com/watch?v=J1eBS8avHrg

And most good love songs weren't written about any girl, that doesn't negate then universality of the songs, or of CCR's work.

youtube.com/watch?v=aca4oAAhx1I

Glad you liked it. If you've been getting into funk lately, I might as well throw this mother lode your way: youtube.com/watch?v=QMRfbtUY1T4

I'm really surprised I haven't searched up James Brown before, I really needed to listen to more of his stuff. Thanks, man.

Music ages well I feel. "Dated" isn't a bad thing. Movies on the other hand can feel really dated (in a bad way). The production can feel paper thin and hard to get past. Like, I've never seen a movie earlier than the 50's and thought "god dam that's some serious cinema right there"

Nail on the head.

i think certain sounds make music sound dated. like jump by van halen with that cheesy 80's synth sound, its sounds like its from the 80's. i think its a great song but it does definitely sound like its from a certain time period.

production makes music sound dated too. whatever trends exist in certain decades make it sound like its from a certain decade.

in a perfect world you'd be able to write a song about something timeless and it would hold up in 200 years, but i dont think that's ever gonna happen. trends are gonna change, technology is gonna change, it's all ephemeral as fuck dude

Interesting question OP. Some other anons in the thread have similar views to me. Obviously using old or "dated" as a label to judge something by is absurd. Art is art regardless of when it's made, however the cultural context we see things through can affect how we feel about things. There isn't anything wrong with enjoying older things and I find people with a much higher emotional IQ can relate to older things that aren't in their immediate spheres of influence. However used in this context I feel like people usually saying things like this aren't actually criticizing the music per se but the user. Nostalgia is pretty poisonous for existing music cultures everywhere and we should all be equally reflecting on the past as well as pushing forward.