Tom Waits General

I heard Rain Dogs and Swordfishtrombones and liked both. Where do I go from here? What does Sup Forums like from him? Will he die before I see him live?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EUcHfiDaZ-U
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't know his early music that well. But a good starting place is the three cd Orphans Brawlers and Bastards as there's a lot there and probably is well representative of him. The spoken word about the Cadillac with the screwy gears, and the bed time story and some others you'll like a lot. You get a nice book format if you get the right edition.

All of his stuff is worth listening so pick whatever you want

thank you, user. i will check this out. rip what.cd

buy the digi pack. Shall I get it for you? I don't mind

if.... if you don't mind, yes.

mmm might be a bit inappropriate

why he pretended he had emphysema when he was in his late 30s god knows

go forward in his discog
or go backwards
he is very consistent

if cookie monster did jazz

could be because he drank and smoked? maybe it was a line he said because of his voice? anyway that's odd.

Reeeeeeee
Anyone wishing to get into Waits should listen to his discography in chronological order. It will make you appreciate him as an artist much more, because going back in his discography will always feel like a regression when it's not the place you first started at.

[spoiler]Also, Closing Time is his best album.[/spoiler]
Yes, I am aware that spoiler tags do not work on Sup Forums.

i think i got it on the archive :>)

try the opener on Blue Valentine, it's ridiculous

i am sorry for my conduct. i will try to better myself.

blue valentine and closing time are probably his best

Blue Valentine was good, had the comfiest ending in history of late 70s blues crooning records. let's try another! what we got..

The Black Rider has a distinctive cover for Tom.

>Play

All of his albums are sincerely worth checking out. Aside from Rain Dogs and Swordfishtrombones my favorites are Mule Variations, Bone Machine, The Heart of Saturday Night, and Closing Time.

Going in chronological order is a good way to go with Tom Waits as well.

right let's do one more, I'll do Blood Money

>Play

there we go. go for an early one now. The Heart of Saturday Night

>Play

a common story here in Finland from his 70's visit is that he used that that excuse to bum for free drinks and smokes, but who knows

well you go to Frank's Wild Years to finish the trilogy and then start from Closing Time (or continue to Bone Machine)

There are two sides to ol' Tom - a boozy nightclub singer you'll encounter on the earlier album and the junkyard blues genius you've already met. You won't find too much of who you know from Swordfishtrombones and Rain Dogs on the earlier albums, but they are great in a related way.

>genius

Real Gone is fantastic

You can see why he went into the lo fi kettle banging, a lot of the early albums material is quite similar.

Heartattack and vine now.

>Play

youtube.com/watch?v=EUcHfiDaZ-U

Bone Machine is Tom Wait's best. Anyone who disagrees is a pleb.

He doesn't have that much musical imagination, he's fun but it is going round in circles a bit