Where to start with Classical?

Really want to get into classical and hoping Sup Forums has some suggestions of where to start. Haven't listened to much at all before but from what I have Chopin definitely appeals

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=I0Y6NPahlDE
rateyourmusic.com/list/lesbianwalrus/a_beginner’s_guide_to_classical_music/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

if only there was a thread dedicated to this genre...

>genre
clueless pleb

Chopin is a pretty good start imo. I'd try his Nocturnes.

I started with the Romantics, specifically Beethoven's piano sonatas.

Everyone has their own starting point, just try what interests you.

(disclaimer: I don't really know what I'm talking about)
if you want the very bare-bones intro start with von bingen and some similar early chant stuff, then some renaissance stuff like tallis, byrd and allegri, then on to js bach (I suggest his orgelbuchein and goldberg variations), then obvious stuff like mozart's requiem and great mass in c minor and then start exploring to find what you like from the last 2-3 centuries

also beethoven's late string quartets

Liking Chopin, you should give also give Rachmaninoff, Liszt, Schubert, and then Beethoven a try. Those will also show you some really good stuff besides just piano. I love Chopin. Besides the Nocturnes, the four Ballades and the 4 Scherzi are also really damn good. Also the Barcarolle in F sharp major along with the Polonaise-Fantasie in A flat.

It also makes a big difference which performer you're listening to. Rubinstein is considered a standard practically.

I've started with vivaldi because I like strongs and his melodic style. From there I went over to Beethoven and Bach and then pretty much everything else.

I think it depends a bit on what your favourite classical instruments are. Once you get started you will probably automaticly start to like most, if not all classical artists.

I became an avid classical listener like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped listening to popular music and I don't spend much time on Sup Forums anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person listens to like zero classical a year. If you listen to a 10-minute sonata, you are 10 minutes above the average person

-Don't force yourself to listen. Commit to 10 minutes a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like listening more and after a month or so you should be listening to 3 full symphonies a day for pleasure

-listen to various composers/ genres at the same time. while I'm listening to a long symphony or one that makes me sleepy I'll play a string quartet and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them different. I listen to program music and absolute music.

-It isn't a race. listening with all your attention won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge the pieces you can skip to the last movement and which command all your attention.

-Buy physical copies. When you buy the cds/records from your own money you'll feel the need to listen to them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with composers highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.

I'd recommend watching Howard Goodall's Story of Music. 6 part music series, mostly classical.

youtube.com/watch?v=I0Y6NPahlDE

Thanks, when listening to

>Chopin
>classical

>classical
>good

Firstly you need to start with the fact that 'Classical' encompasses millennia across hundreds of countries so try composers of different eras first. I'd suggest the following

Hildegard
Perotin
Monteverdi
Tallis
Bach
Mozart is kinda unavoidable
Beethoven
Mendelssohn
Brahms
Tchaikovsky
Satie
Stravinsky

You'll find something you like off one of those 'strands'

Beethoven's meme sonatas (1st, Pathetique, Moonlight, Appassionata) and meme symphonies (5th and 9th, if you're still not ready to accept orchestral sounds go for the Liszt's transcriptions) and Bach's Well Tempered Clavier/Art of Fugue (Glenn Gould, I know that it is controversial but he is an axcellent gateway to classical music).

Listen to these, remember that these works were groundbreaking and give the benefit of the doubt to these true artists.

At a certain point you'll just get it, something will click in your brain and you will be able to appreciate most classical music effortessly. You just have to overcome that first psychological barrier.

Also when you'll get it all the music you can find on Sup Forums will sound like retarded shit.

I listen to Chopin because of my family. Recently I've been listening to some Wagner.

Lmao

I made a beginner's guide to classical on rym. Hope it helps.
rateyourmusic.com/list/lesbianwalrus/a_beginner’s_guide_to_classical_music/

Protip: only listen to Bach and before; Ives and after

But then he would miss out on the best composer.

>classical
>not good

Sup Forums is an 18+ website