I HAVE A QUESTION:

I HAVE A QUESTION:

24 y/o senior Chemistry student here.

I wonder how young people around my age (or younger) even get to the ridiculous idea of going for useless majors like Liberal Arts, Gender Studies or European Union Studies? Where and/or how do they get brainwashed into such crap?

Yes.

Where do they get to that stupid idea of doing such majors, Sup Forums?

Yes.

They simply don't have a perspective on how fucking useless such majors are. Since the schools get a load of funding from the government, schools are therefore (semi) required to have shit hole majors. Schools also know that since they're required to accept basic retards for enrollment, they will undoubtedly have a bunch of niggers and white trash come in wanting a 4 year degree in woman's studies.

People are brought up for 18 years being told they can do whatever they want and live a happy life no matter what decisions they make. A few years later, they will see how shithole worthless their decisions are, and they will have to deal with the consequences.

I started off in school majoring in education, but decided I wanted to live above the fucking poverty line, so I changed to something less shit

The idea behind a liberal arts degree is rooted in the health a countries economy and how they consider the well being of their citizens.

The more money spent on liberal arts has historically been tied to the actual wealth of a society.

So largely, historically its been an indicator looking back in history during specific era's

>rennisiance, industrial, etc.

The output of liberal arts directly correlates to the success's of that era's citizens

The last 70 or so year, basically post wwII industrialis and capitalism run wild. Combined with zionism pushing crazy ideas down everyones throat we at some point lost connection with what really matters as a specifies and replaced it with a rat race, more or less

>whoever dies with the most shit wins

attitude. And people like you o.p. you bought into it without even giving it a second though.

the gender studies thing though, no fucking clue.

Agreed, stem majors are great and undoubtedly very valuable to society, but not everyone is going to be a chemist or engineer. To me, life would be boring poets and authors and artists. Also, a more "practical" side of liberal arts is journalism which is necessary for an informed populous.

Eu studies? What?

I think it was just part of the bait. He was doing the whole "everything that's not a STEM field is SJW cuck stuff"

bc some retards simply dont know what to do with their life so they go study "something".... waste of money and resources but well in the end idgaf if the burger flipper has a BA or not.

my sister wanted to study accounting because all her friends went to that university. most of the people cant think by themselves op.

mixing cause and effect.

lib arts would be a reason for a wealthy parent to send their child to college, saying 'look how rich I am, my child doesn't need to work at a trade for a living." plus like minds tend to group up, so the well off get become friends and collude to become even wealthier. Hey dad my friend's dad is owner of such and such, maybe you can strike a deal with him.

which is nothing but the truth

I mean, I know we laugh at people that do American studies here in the uk, but is eu studies even a thing?

Do you even look at actual data?

Philosophy undergrads make more mid-career then chem majors. Get over yourself.

I'm considering being a philosophy major.

Enjoy your shitty research job after you're forced getting a masters just so you can get that shitty job.

Engineering master race

Well i study chemnistry, too and i guess it might be because not everyone wants to study something that difficult. Im only in my second semester and i already somehow feel worn out from the stress. Im a lazy fuck tbh

This.

People act as if all non-stem or business related majors are equally shit. That's just BS. Philisophy and Poli Sci majors are way above the others. And they both do objectively quite well.

Seriously. I'm 22 yo and I'm making close to $80K a year with a 4 year degree in engineering. Engineering is easily the most lucrative degree you can get.

I'm an Aerospace Engineer Student in Rome :3 i'm 22

Maybe that the undergrad level.

A top-tier law degree is worth more overall.

attach actual number of people employed in those percentiles and you'll be singing a different tune. A 90th percentile mathematician, what there are like maybe 10 in the entire world?

doctors aren't included on there, do doctors make more than engineers?

This chart doesn't mention, so i wonder if you know: When they list salaries for a given degree, is it to indicate that a job in the field which specifically requires a given degree will have the salary shown?

Or does this chart simply survey individuals and link their salary at whatever job to whatever degree they earned?

An admin assistant with an art history degree could start at 33K a year. Doesn't mean they're comparing Rembrandt to Vermeer when scheduling conference rooms.

It's pretty good preparation for law school IMO. You'd be well advised to study mathematics and computer science on the side too, since you might not want to/be able to do law school after you're finished under The advantage is that CS and math help develop pure reasoning skills (without worrying about things like religion or politics) which are transferable to philosophy.

Don't a large percentage of philosophy majors go to Law School? If so, this is kind of misleading because they aren't really making money off a philosophy degree.

They do, but the chart is only undergrad degrees. Medicine is a graduate degree.

You should actually read what it says. These are people with ONLY undergrad degrees, so it doesn't count the people who go on to law / medical school etc.

Are you seriously judging other majors when you are doing Chemistry? Enjoy your shitty job prospects.

Is this chart a guide for only the US? I am studying medicine in Europe, can I expect to earn more than engineers here?

i'm going to study art next year
it's like the only thing i'm good at and the only thing i want to do, i always been pretty original so i guess it will be ok

Are we not discussing undergrad degrees here? Or are we moving goal posts? Of course a top tier law degree would probably have a higher average salary, but thats twice the amount of schooling. That's like saying having a M.D is more lucrative than a Bachelors in engineering, you're comparing apples to oranges because thats two completely different levels of education.

The idea that your major = your job title is only something found in a select group of majors. The idea that History Major means you have to be a Historian is insane.

This is the primary difference between the liberal arts and STEM fields. STEM majors think major = job title, because that is the only place their skills are valuable. Liberal Arts degrees major =/= Job title, because the skills they learn are applicable in a wide variety of places.

don't really care about the degree tho
it's must for cheap matterial, knowing where i'm stepping and making contacts

I used to make 30k a year and rent a small apartment and was pretty happy. I could afford everything perfectly fine an would hang out and drink every weekend with my friends. The only reason I got my accounting degree was because i want a lake house and a boat one day. Some people have different priorities than you.

this bro gets it

to get a job as an attorney or a lawyer, you need to pass a practical exam of course, but you need a degree called Juris Doctorate (JD), which is a doctorate level degree, including thesis, dissertation, defense, and all that

Yes, it's only for the US. I don't know what salaries for doctors are where you are from, but there are some countries (Germany, France, UK) where you will surely earn more than an american engineer.

My bad, I didn't read that part.

Maybe, you can probably look up salary averages where youre from.

Liberals man. All colleges are liberal propaganda.

Thank you both

Currently studying micro-biology, but I'm considering to go for the science based business field instead of bio engineering. Would this be a good decision?

I wasn't trying to start a fight lol. I agreed with you. Engineering degrees are the most valuable undergraduate degrees.

All I'm saying is that they aren't the most valuable degrees period. I'm not comparing the two, I know they are on a different level.

Also, in the UK it is actually an undergrad degree, and OxBridge law students probably earn more than US engineers. But again, this is an exception.

LOL.

You don't have any idea what a JD is. You just say the "D" and think it's the same as a PhD. Go do your research man.

WTF OP, you can't even imagine what the world would be without art,
but i don't even know if there is "gender studies" in my country, don't see the point of studying this.

yes, such places with roles as:

boss's lackey.
large group groupthinker.
ad-supported blogger.
astroturfer.
alternative, incorrect viewpoint supporter.
optimist.
department seat-warmer.
parking lot attendant.
self-appointed security guard and stool pigeon.
passive-aggressive sign poster (have to use that communications degree for something).

I'm majoring in Ashley Tisdale?

Well apparently. those jobs pay around 80k, so sure.

Jesus Christ you fucking autists. This chart says people with ONLY an undergraduate degree. Of course someone who only has an BS in chem would make shit; you HAVE to go on and get some form of specialized training to make decent money.

so why not study computer sciences then?

I'm not fighting with you lol. I would consider getting my masters in a topic of engineering, but I would be very hesitant to get a PhD because of the very reason you stated, it just isn't quite worth it unless I want to go into research. Which maybe in the future I will, I've been involved with research and it pays shit but it is fun as hell for me.

Yeah, we know that. And many people with liberal Arts degrees go on to law school, and then make a shit ton of money.

The point is the asymmetry. People bitch about Liberal Arts majors not making any money, and then refuse to count the fact that a lot of them go on to law school etc.

At the same time these people yell about how great STEM fields are, and then when you point out how that's not always true, they go "Oh! Well of course you have to count graduate school too!"

Either count grad school for both (which means law school for a large portion of liberal arts students) or for neither.

Liberal ideology.

Just because you're taking a chemistry class doesnt mean you're majoring in chemistry either retard. Liberal arts degree students can take a chemistry class as well.

Your field doesn't really matters what matters is how fucking good you are, yes there is a base salary but the degree is only there to get employment or start a company. If someone is a fucking master at what he does and knows how kiss people's asses he'll get paid good. Also depends on a country some countries don't need certain jobs as there are too many people in the same field. In my country for example there is too many economics degrees.
The problem are people who think they're fucking talented and go for the wrong field.