Universe/Space thread. Anything goes as long as it's about space

>Universe/Space thread. Anything goes as long as it's about space

is there anything more interesting than the universe? there's just so much we'll never know and so much we'll never understand

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shape_of_the_universe
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Since we are a part of the Universe , we are literally the Universe experiencing itself

In the time it took you to read this, you moved over 19,000 chromosomes

Google "The great atractor" get mindblown

thanks my dude

The Milky Way blocks 20 % of the visible universe and will continue to do so forever or until we go to deep deep extragallactic space.

wow i was surprised to see that the observable universe actually isnt that big

are you serious right now?

>inb4 a slew of false color pics with idiots marveling at them thinking that's what it would look like to the naked eye

oldest and largest body of water in space.

140 trillion times the amount of water on earth.
black hole at the center bonding the hydrogen to the oxygen. could hydrate 28 galaxies. 12 light years away (which i believe means when we look at it we are seeing 12 billion years into the past).

at that time the universe was only 1.6 billion years old, so with that much water and who knows if its moved or gone somewhere else, that could be potential for a lot of life out in the universe.

i showed it to my boss. he said it almost looks like its counting down time.

Think about this

Right now, there's a planet out there with an intelligent civilization beaming signals every which way into outer space.
By the time we're able to intercept those signals and send a response, that civilization will be destroyed and that fucking sucks

>12 light years

That means we see it twelve years in the past

yeah

time doesn't even work the same. They could be millions of years ahead of behind us. Not to mention that is if there is another intelligent life form out there. We got lucky and won the planet lottery

my bad, 12 billion light years away.

what this guy said we literally look like molten rock to an advanced species so far away

kill urself

it's so massive it's nearly incomprehensible, not to mention the Universe is expanding by the second

>until we go to deep deep extragallactic space

we will go nowhere nigger

whats outside of the expanding universe?
>inb4 nothing
obviously but what would happen if i like "stepped over" the expanding line into nothingness omehow

Natural selection doesn't guarantee the evolution of intelligence.

There are plenty of viable ways to survive without intelligence pic related.

With all of these sci-fi movies about advanced aliens, sometimes I wonder what it would be like if we ended up being the advanced aliens finding a planet with other life. Would we just rape their planet and culture for resources, like the Europeans did back in the day, or would we just rape their planet and ignore their culture, like we do with modern uncontactwd tribes?

it's 100% impossible because the Universe is expanding

we'll never know what's beyond that

well i know its impossible, like theres no point in wondering kind of impossible but i mean theoretically what do you think would happen if it happened

any youtube channels like Vsauce?

Vsauce2 and 3

your guess is as good as mine. It's one of those things we will never ever have an answer to

we would break the 4th wall

look at it this way, the universe is every single particle that exists. you are part of the universe, so anywhere you are, the universe is. so if you try to step off the edge of the universe, the universe expands to include where you are. there is nothing past the edge of the universe

I remeber learbing about the Drake Equation in high school which is designed to estimate the number of civilizations in our galaxy with electromagnetic emission technology

furthermore, if you manage to step past the edge of the universe that just means we were wrong about where the universe stopped

Parallel universes? The outside of this simulation? God?

Who knows.

y u so mad doe?

Think about it.

I bet if you went beyond the universe's boundaries, you would get instantly obliterated. Cause the universe just expanded right into your face faster than light

One day the universe will run out of energy and everything will be void forever

You're imagining it wrong. There isn't a "line" or boundary where the universe is expanding into something else. Rather, the space between objects is being stretched and elongated.

i knoooowwww
i know i know i know
i know its literally IMPOSSIBLE
i was just asking a theoretical question

maybe this will help. the only thing that makes it special is theres nothing there

So, that is to say, everything is constantly expanding in size?

one day it'll stop expanding and it'll start to cave in on itself

No, just the empty space between matter

>tfw you will never look up in the sky and see Andromeda heading towards us

why even live

>stretched and elongated
so expanding?
wow you sure are fucking stupid, read a book nigger

That is another possibility but the universe is expanding faster every moment so it's less possible

This. I want to witness Andromeda collide with us.

The universe is already infinitely big, so it can't get any bigger in the sense you're imagining it.

There isn't a "line" or "border" to the universe where it is expanding into something else.

Your misconception is stemming from a failure to understand infinity.

it would take an extremelly long time. You'd look up and it would just look like the moon except it would be a galaxy. you would never see it speeding towards Earth

i know that t he universeis already at its max and it cant get bigger
but at some point it was expanding right?

the only thing earth MIGHT experience is crazy seasons if we get pulled around by other stars, but thats very unlikely. there really is a huge space between each star system

So apparently there's evidence to suggest that dark-matter is actually primordial black holes that have formed into near perfect circles surrounding galaxies. Which is amazing to think about. If let's say interstellar space travel is possible through black hole theories, this would basically be a train station inbetween galaxies. This is also makes you wonder how the universe even fucking works. This black holes surrounding entire galaxies must serve a purpose. Do they somehow recycle matter into the center of the galaxies where nebulas and white holes reside? Just so many questions from one small incriminate of information.

I know that, but just to see it in the sky would be amazing.

The elements that makes every living organism on earth were made in the core of a star

but of course it would be gorgeous for thousands of generations

what a stupid statement that is

are black holes gateways to other galaxies? like a shortcut? was our galaxy formed by another galaxy getting sucked into a black hole?

black holes are insane.

alright uh, the "universe" which is the actual physical matter in the universe is expanding, but the universe, which is the empty space it can expand into is infinite. there is endless nothingness that the matter is expanding into

anything you can imagine regarding universe and "outside universe" is universe. thats what universe means faggot

*literally the most frustrated sigh ever* nevermind

whatever faggot not my fault youre retarded

Bitch you trynna steal my post? But nah, black holes definitely serve some kind of purpose other than just sucking up light.

I don't know if you guys know this but there are these things called humans and some individuals believe they are the centre of the universe

noone believes that

Does the universe go on forever?

What is outside the universe?

i dont think anything in the universe really serves a purpose, i think it just all exists

nice dubs

Has anyone of you even tried to read up on this? It would suffice to simply read the wikipedia article to get an answer to that question:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shape_of_the_universe

tl;dr
there are three possibilities:
-the universe is infinitely large and has a negative curvature
-the universe is infinitley large and has zero curvature
-the universe is finite but has positive curvature thus it still has no boundary

current experiments suggest case 2 since the measured curvature of space lies within measurement error

You mean like avatar?

NOT REMOTELY DEEP

We don't know since black holes absorb light we can't observe it's insides they one big mistery

damage control: maximum override

Break it down a little bit for a retard, what are the implications of curvature?

> purpose
ignorant shit

so i didnt real that whole article, but pretty much what youre saying is there is no edge of the universe, right?

I hope it's like that interstellar movie

Okay mr.definition. Function then. Like how mass creates gravity. Maybe black holes are the reason why the universe is expanding. It's the universe trying to correct its self. Like one big sheet of fabric.

You're a fucking cocksucker.

dude are you okay did you have a stroke?

The universe is expanding because of dark energy, not gravity.

Some people say it is infinite so it doesn't have an "outside"

fuck you cocksucking flaming shit pushing ass raping faggot

>time doesn't even work the same

What do you mean by this?

no curvature means just flat

positive curvature means like the surface of a sphere or a donut, obviously you can travel on its surface without ever hitting a boundary

negative curvature is something like a saddle

but mathematically it comes down to how big the sum of angles of a triangle is in that geometry

yeah

I didn't say it expanded because of gravity. But because of some kind of counter force from black holes. Wich could be dark energy.

>
So the universe is a black hole? But if the Universe is a black hole, whats a hole that is white?

This

checked

i dont know vhat they meant, but maybe theyre pointing out that travelling at different speeds causes time to flow differently

Ah, I see. I've always imagined it like a sphere without limits in any direction. Shapeless, but not. Hard to wrap your head around the universe man. I feel like a crackhead when I think about it

The fact that the universe is an external display of all our minds percieved through our eyeholes back into our minds.

I have a question. Why does gravity and speed affect time? What is time?

If we were to go faster and light and explore space we would never go past our local galactic group since the universe is expanding so fast that it would be expanding faster then we could travel.
The local galactic group is kept together since it exists in a gravity bubble keeping it together

lmao

It's impossible a human or anything can enter a black hole it will undo you molecular estructure if you get near one you'll become a thin line of matter in it's simpler form

Faggot. Also continuing on this some believe that consciousness was made by the universe simply so that the universe could experience/explore itself.

In order to explore the universe effectively we need to bend space/time itself.

We don't know, its mostly accepted that the big bang blast is still expanding all the time. We just don't know if it will keep going, stop, or the universe might fall back in on its self. That all we kinda know.

pseudointellectual 15 year old detected

You just answered it. It's the resut of speed and gravity upon matter.

I was just reading a bit on Big Bang nucleosynthesis and how quarks and leptons were formed during the early stages then came sub-atomic particles snd so on.

It all goes back to energy. Specifically heat. Energy cannot be created or destroyed but if you get something hot enough u can change its state or create I.E. fusion.

So before tge big bang the universe was hot and dense. So who lit the match? How did it get so hot that from energy something physical was created?