/gg/ guitar and bass general

I'm a guitar newfag who has never made one of these threads but one isn't getting made so I'm making one edition

Beginner guitar tutorials:
justinguitar.com/

Guitar chords and inversions
chordbook.com/guitar-chords/

String tension calculator (D'Addario-based):
hikkyz.net/misc/stringassembler/

Music theory:
musictheory.net/lessons

Hal Leonard's Bass Method:
mediafire.com/file/sayviwqxfcxfjon/

--

Steve Vai's Ten Hour Workout
>mediafire.com/download/kzw6kjuocgicwks/Ten_Hour.pdf

Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar 1 & 2
>mediafire.com/download/bn8803xzlrbds3b/Guitar1.rar
>mediafire.com/download/9uhtufuf3z9cx8m/Guitar2.rar

Advancing Guitarist - Mick Goodrick
>mediafire.com/download/cvfno10fv4lf4a8

Chord Chemistry - Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/61n5op7eiifxztg

Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar
>mediafire.com/download/zq35xorj2iaqh22

Modern Chord Progressions: Jazz and Classical Voicings for Guitar - Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/oflu4wdwofhqqtb

Jazz Guitar: Single Note Soloing Vol. 1 & 2- Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/07o65qdh5in1nsq
>mediafire.com/download/jmu86f7dj8bdxcd

Impulse Response Pack
>mediafire.com/download/svtfxjtillrdwt8/Gods Cab 1.3.rar
>mediafire.com/download/4n28zkjw0zgmdj9/ASEM RECTO V30 L2.wav

previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

guitarfetish.com/Dream-90-Humbucker-SIzed-P90--Black-on-Black-_c_60.html
guitarfetish.com/Mean-90-True-Alnico-P90-Pickup-in-Humbucker-Case-Our-FATTEST-_c_131.html
youtube.com/watch?v=L2Ea1LAR19U&index=27&list=WL
youtube.com/watch?v=_fNQZmQl_0k
vicfirth.com/40-essential-rudiments/
youtu.be/tW3Z0aH1zak
reverb.com/item/3462986-chuck-pedals-simpsons-pedal-lot-big-muff-digital-delay-tremelo#&gid=1&pid=1
discord.gg/VTa4jC4
youtu.be/1JZ0cDjayC8
youtu.be/12Z50AEBj-o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for guitars

Should I buy a jackson soloist slx for around 570 euro?

5th for Trump is a massive faggot and his supporters should all get lynched.

Also, how about them power chords, eh?

Any good books/pdfs/sites for drumming? Mostly just looking for a massive list of common beats.

Post your gear folks

Ibanez PC12MH or Harley Benton CLA 15 M

[spoiler] guys pls help, absolute beginner here [/spoiler]
[spoiler] also I like playing grim, sad, intimate stuff, nothing too bright [/spoiler]

>solid state amps vs tube amps
discuss

Tube amps allt he way. SS a shit. Even the nazis used SS as an abbreviation. It is literally that bad.

What are better, Mean 90 pickups or Dream 90s?

guitarfetish.com/Dream-90-Humbucker-SIzed-P90--Black-on-Black-_c_60.html

guitarfetish.com/Mean-90-True-Alnico-P90-Pickup-in-Humbucker-Case-Our-FATTEST-_c_131.html

i'd go with the ibanez. if your budget can allow it get a AVN3 i owned one and the the tone on it was amazing probably one of the best acoustic guitars i ever played

I think it's a pointless debate, both are good if the design behind the amp is good, most of the arguments against SS amps come from people who've tried only practice SS amps.

>tfw you will never have a tasty as fuqq LSD jam with your bros on a Sunday afternoon on your custom shop limited run double neck phin

youtube.com/watch?v=L2Ea1LAR19U&index=27&list=WL

>old mate with a smoke dangling from his mouth

cool as the other side of the pillow

>dat ballin effects rack
>dat Boss DD-7
>dat ever reliable p-bass sound
Is he using a fuzz pedal or is it just his speakers?

>dragons on the head of his necks
confirmed for coolest guy in the country
>tfw no microtonal instrument
also I'm really curious as to why the bass doesn't sound so out of place considering it's a 12TET neck.

You better get the slime green one

Is it actually microtonal? Looks like it just has the 6th and eleventh frets missing. It's still tuned to the same notes, they're just taking out some of the 'less harmonic' ones so they don't accidentally anger the gods or something.

Is ultimate guitar the worst community?

I'm not sure, it sounds a little bit "out" but it may just be because of a different A frequency ? I don't know.

ultimate guitar is undeniably garbage. Clickbait titles, same tutorials come in every three months, some lessons are completely awful or even wrong (they had one about the "tonal differences" between fucking guitar bodies), and the community is a bunch of dead brain 14 year old who think hellyeah is the coolest metal band and gojira's new album is totally prog and unseen before.
Take out the tabs and it's one of the worst websites on the internet.

That's Ray Sipe nigga.

Literal cancer. You're only allowed to post there if your favorite guitar player is Slash or any other hair metal wanker that does widdly-wonk sounds.

Here comes another /gg/ challenge Let me hear some clyps of you guys playing sultans of swing plsss

Hey, should I buy one?

do you play chords? Then no.
Do you play one note per beat music? Then buy yourself a fucking recorder.

Whoever thought this was a good idea should be ballistically castrated

youtube.com/watch?v=_fNQZmQl_0k

Ironic since I'm pretty sure that is a castration tool.

I don't know, the hook shape has a more of an abortion clinic vibe going on for me.

Check out Vic Firth's site:

vicfirth.com/40-essential-rudiments/

If you don't mind spending a bit of money, Jojo Mayer's "Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer" parts 1 and 2 are pretty solid.

different user who bought sticks for fun
thanks a lot

Is this the greatest live album ever recorded?

youtu.be/tW3Z0aH1zak

Lynch me then if you're such a big boy

I haven't made the pickguard yet but the rest of the guitar finished and I wanted to try it out. I have two more Fender pickups and some switches and pots that I am going to wire up eventually and I might put a Piezo in the bridge

you have truly achieve the pinnacle of your craft.

see
>most of the arguments against SS amps come from people who've tried only practice SS amps.
And pic related. They have their place.

They should move the tabs to another site.

Low quality tube amps sound like shit. There arent many low quality tube amps because they still cost a lot to make, relatively.

Low quality solid state amps sound like shit, but they can be incredibly cheap to produce.

Thats why there are so many shitty solid state amps. Im really liking what ive seen in hybrid amps lately, theyre not too great now, but i think eventually theyll be on par or exceed tube power amps. The pre amp is where the magic happens anyways. some amps/players/styles benefit from a tube power amp because its, for a lack of a better word, sluggish, but i think a lot of metal and jazz players would like an ss pre because its neutral and can be a lot punchier or uncolored(in a good way).

Modeling amps will take over eventually, once someone finds a way to produce a better sounding axefx or kemper for under $1000 the market is going to rapidly change. Dont doubt it will happen, we're only a couple decades away from being able to replace human limbs that will work and move like natural parts, able to react and do what youre thinking.

I want to buy this. Is it a meme?

Ss power amp, not ss pre

Why are amp heads as expensive as combos?

I like this image, thanks. :)

they're not most of the time. Give me an exemple

Depends, some companies are just jews, but a lot of times the head is higher output than the combo, the bigger transformer is an added cost, on top of other things. Which one in particular are you asking about?

What the fuck.

its a huge meme, just get a mexican jazz or precision instead

No idea about memery but it's just fuck ugly compared to the real Thunderbirds.

Dont worry it's tone tape

This, it uses to cut mid range on a guitar thats too raspy, also helps prevent feedback

>sound guy is a useless ape and blames all the problems he can't solve on your gear

Oh good. Was worried there for a second.

How is it a meme

Had this a couple weeks ago, but it was a skinny pizza face neckbeard.

It was a large bar, but i guess the other guy never showed up, so he kept running back and forth from stage to foh, it took him 20 minutes to run the mics correctly for a 6 piece band. And then he kept calling up and telling us we needed to turn down cause his inputs were clipping. 57 on my cab, keys were di, bass was di from the amp, never in my 12 years playing live have i ever heard a sound guy tell someone to turn down. He tried to say he wasnt getting sound up front because are gear wasnt working, but then afyer he went and checked the snakes and switched some cables we started getting sound.

Thats not even the part that irked me though. 2 bands including us, first starts at 9 30 and plays till 11, second plays from 11 30 to 1. We were second, but because it took him so long to set up the first band we didnt even get on stage til 12, and didnt even get to start checking levels til 12:30. We skipped our break, cut 3 songs, and powered through both sets and didnt finish til 1:50, 20 minites before they start kicking people out.

It was unreal, ive had some shitty experiences with sound guys at bars, but this was a nice bar in a very nice town, people with money.

To his credit, it sounded really good out front.

Let me change that. I had another sound guy ask me to turn down once, but it was a really small bar and was running 2 half stacks in stereo. He wasnt a dick about it, he just said that my amps would over power the sound system and it would sound horrible. I took his advice, he was right.

i kinda like how these look however i would never get one as my only bass.

>not bringing a sound guy
everything that can go wrong with sound guys you don't know will go wrong, fact

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUre-heUkX0

The sound on the guitar during the verses, what kind of effect is that? I can't find a definite answer but I've read its just clean with delay but surely its a specific effect?

>Egotistical literal nobodies that think the front of house staff work for them

Bring your own sound guy then you cheapskate.

Is the squier classic vibe series(telecaster) a meme?
Also for bedroom practice should I get an audio interface or an amp? How do audio interfaces even work can i plug a guitar in without an amp, like guitar-interface-pc. Is it only used for recording or does it playback instantly?

you're a meme
you can get a small amp for like $20 probably, so that

Get a yamaha thr10

Would this be a good deal for 360$?

Autofilter by the sounds of it.

post craigslist gold

Does anyone have experience with Chuck Pedals? A guy is selling 3 of them for $175 all. It's a Muff clone, Delay and Tremolo for one price and I might bite. I could care less about the simpsons graphics on all three I'm just wondering if it's worth $60 a pedal
reverb.com/item/3462986-chuck-pedals-simpsons-pedal-lot-big-muff-digital-delay-tremelo#&gid=1&pid=1

>Boutique clones of cheap pedals

Why.

Just buy the real ones second hand. If you don't like them and want to get rid of them you can do so without losing any money.

No, you can get a different model with two pickups, more knobs and a better bridge with maybe a bigsby for $450. Also is it a made in Italy version or Korean? If you want weird and Korean go Eastwood or Axl

I wouldnt recommend an interface for a new player. Latency can be an issue, even with a high end pc. Meaning, the delay between you playing the note and you hearing it. The most important thing to learn from day 1 is timing, and latency will cause you an issue with timing, itll teach you to play early. When i play a guitar into an interface i turn the monitoring off in whatever program im recording too. If the latency is absolutely horrible it will just frustrate you.

Not only that, but youll be stuck with either crappy free amp sims or mediocre pirated/$100+ amp sims.

Interfaces are really valuable tools in this day and age, but until you can actually play covers or write your own songs it wont help you any. They exist for recording, being able to play through an good amp sim with low latency is a luxury

Tl;dr
Practice amp, all the way. Plug in and play, focus on playing with no distractions.

I just started playing acoustic guitar since like 2 months, I've already done the begginer's course from junstinguitar but I feel like im getting stuck now, im not making any progress lately

We'll individually if I get a good offer between $150-$180 each pedal is $60 which is about the same as I would if I bought new. Plus if I don't like one some shmuck will probably buy it for $100. I plan to use the Muff for my bass, Tremolo for 50s style do wop and I don't have a delay yet and this one is pretty good since it's a dispatch master clone

What do you know?

Correction
> would be the same as if I bought the standard pedal used

not much really, only done the beginers course and learning some songs off youtube tutorials, im a total noob but im really interested in it

That makes sense, price wise. Try them out first, of course. But dont expect to sell them quickly, boutique stuff doesnt move fast.

Have one
Is meme

He sent me pics of the PCB, the Delay does look like the Dispach Master, Tremolo is the Mad Professor Mellow Yellow and the Muff Is a Big Muff with a mid boost

hi there... any musicians on Sup Forums?

join the Sup Forums discord and jam out!!

discord.gg/VTa4jC4

What good musicians do you know that play cheap guitars?

me

Just made the mistake of trying a MusicMan stingray today. Is there a more comfortable bass out there?

youtu.be/1JZ0cDjayC8

youtu.be/12Z50AEBj-o

Im asking because ive never watched any of his videos.

The 6 big things i feel every guitar player needs to have in his bag to be well rounded. They all tie into each other.

Timing. Play to a metronome. If you want to hit on beat, off beat, behind the beat, whatever, and be able to do it on command you have to play to a metronome. Think of the metronome as a drummer with flawless timing, you have to be able to play to a drummer. What should you practice to a metronome?

Technique. You need to be able and play well. Im not saying you need to be able to play a million notes a second, but you need to be able to play the things you want to play when you want to play them. You accomplish this by learning patterns and shapes and practicing them to a metronome. There are some atonal finger excercises you can learn to make sure youre building up your fingers equally, but a large amount of it is practicing chords, progressions, and scales. Why chords and scales?

Music theory. Music theory is basically a blue print for notes, it tells you what fits together, what doesnt, how and where. Music theory will let you know what to play next to get a desired sound, if you have something in your head you can more easily play it if you know how notes fit together. Its not the be all end all, a lot of the fun in music as you get more advanced is making things fit together that otherwise wouldnt. Why learn music theory?

Song writing and improvisation. Learning scales is the first step to playing guitar solos. Its also the first step to writing a chord progression, you start building chords out of scales. If you can master that, there's not much holding you back. You can walk into a room full of musicians unprepared and create something that sounds good. But scales only give you a group of notes to play, it doesnt tell you which one will be the right one. How do you figure out which one is the right one?

Ear training. After playing scales and chord progressions long enough you start to develop something called relative pitch. Youll start being able to know what type of chord is being played, what key a song is in, and even what note will sound most pleasing in a melody. This is where the real fun starts, all the stuff you wanted to be able to play is now easily transfered from your brain to your finger tips. This is also where you start to adventure outside of the scales youve been practicing. You can now play anything your hands can keep up with. So how do you make the most of this talent?

Ideas. The creative process, youre only limited by your imagination at this point. You need to listen to a lot of different types of music, even music that has no guitar in it. Notes work the same regardless of if its coming out of a violin, synth, clarinet, whatever. You can get ideas or be inspired by whatever and take it back to whatever music you want to play. This is also where phrasing comes into play, phrasing is what seperates wankers from masters. Phrasing gives intent, movement, its at its heart an expression of a musical idea.

You can go very deep into all of this, the whole point of this long post was to give you an overview of sorts, and some terms to search. The most important thing to remember about music is to play what sounds good to you, it doesnt have to be something in traditional theory.

Dont expect to learn everything at once, or even in a year, it takes a lot of time. you will see advancement, but there will be a lot of frustration and confusion with. Everything worth having is worth earning.

Gary Clark Jr plays on a chinese epiphone but I think he's started to use a Gibson SG lately.

Parquet Courts used to play Squiers until this past month where they got hooked up by Fender with a Jaguar and a Mustang Bass. Also Zac Carper of FIDLAR uses a piece of shit Costco guitar but it's modded
>inb4 you emphasize "good"

Rob from nomeansno used to play a mexi p bass, but there last 13 or so years he said he used a squire

>doing the beginners course
>in two months

You're a fucking god or you did it really poorly

Oh, I only had a glance but it looks like that's only the case with Vox amps mostly.

lmao, this is literally what everyday life is like for wincucks

What kind of latency do you get? I'm only able to push it to ~3ms(pre processing) using a real time kernel.

>>inb4 you emphasize "good"
yup, that's me. but then you realise I'm talking about technical proficiency and emphasize "musician" right ?

I'm just talking shit, I have buffer settings on medium and get 10ms delay.

Squier Vintage Modified Jazzy or Squier j mascis Jazzy?
I've heard the J mascis is better quality but the more p90 based pickups seem a bit lame and the VM seems to sound better.

J Mascis and buy better pickups you dingus. The neck on the mascis feels really good compared to the VM

bought a vm jazz for giggles a while back, neck on it feels nice desu.

Then keep that then and keep nodding the electronics, I was the same with my Squier Mustang because I hoped to own a Daphne Blue 65' RI but I'm glad I stuck with mine

I've been playing guitar for about four months and am finally starting to git gud

I want something I'm gonna stick with for a long time now

where can I find an sg in one of these colors

In hell, hopefully.

possibly sweden or san francisco

I want something memetastic