I want to linux. Which Distro?

I want to linux. Which Distro?

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

DEBIAN!!

Downloading. Thanks user!

Ubuntu or Debian if you don't want to learn Linux. Gentoo or Arch is you do.

Debian if you want to get into Linux.
Arch if you're already into Linux and want to needlessly complicate your life for fun.

I actually want to learn it... Gentoo is the one?

Gentoo obviously you cunt.

Don't install Gentoo or Arch if it's your first time.

Yeah, also visit Sup Forums

This. If you're new to Linux then Xubuntu is probably your easiest transition from Windows.

OP get Mint or Fedora or Suse. Mint will make you happy and you will enjoy. Dont do the fag distros like arch who want to feel they are all that.

Gentoo requires about 150% more work so you can gain about 2% performance. It's not worth it.

go for ubuntu
very stable and easy for beginners, lots of support.

Install Gentoo

Mint.

Mint is really good BUT the upgrade path is a pain in the ass imo. I finally gave up on it and went back to Ubuntu.

i don't understand why anyone would use an os based on an os which is based on another os.. why not just use the the very first os and cut out the middle men?

Debian if you're a sane human being.

Mint if you're a first timer and want something Sup Forums approved.

Ubuntu if you're a macfag.

So, Ubuntu or Mint?

I use Ubuntu. It's nice and once you get used to it you'll abandon windows.

Debian, since it's a quality distro, and you can make it do anything, and it's completely free software.

Arch, Gentoo, etc are for faggots. If you want to take that path, make your own distro (just for yourself), eg. Linux From Scratch.

Ubuntu and derivatives (including Mint) are for imbeciles.

There are other decent distros, but I can guarantee they are not ones that you'll probably consider.

>implying the default unity UI is the one they have to stick with
>implying unity is the only build of ubuntu available for download

or ubuntu mate

Because ubuntu now uses Unity, which is for macfags. Manually installing gnome-desktop is not nearly as stable as Mint. The mint developers really do a really good job

see

Where does Elementary OS fall on that list?

That's a good question. I second it.

you should stick to a more popular distro on your first time. if you run in to problems it's nice to have forums and what not to help you figure them out.

Mint.
Ubuntu used to be the best, but ever since it started using Unity it's become really over-polished and slow because of all the "cool" effects and etc.
Mint focuses on better desktop environments, is faster and (I think, but this is debatable) is even more intuitive than Ubuntu.

>mint developers really do a really good job
when their website isn't getting hacked

It's an Ubuntu derivative, and while it's less shitty than Ubuntu (about the same as Mint), it's still Ubuntu and I would recommend getting the hell away from it.

Remember, Ubuntu is Windows for GNU+Linux.

mint is shit get the fuck out
he's trying to trick you op

That's what I figured as well. However, it does look too simple to fuck up that it may be recommended over something such as Ubuntu for a first timer.

>implying he needs to complicate things with anything other than the default UI if he's a first timer
Ubuntu Mate does exist though, so I'll give you that.

Fairly clean default UI if you like macshit-looking stuff.

Derivative of Ubunut.
Therefore derivative of a derivative of Debian.
So just get Debian.

Read my answer. I know you can abandon unity in ubuntu. But it's not nearly as stable as mint.

Trust me, I used to be a big ubuntu fan and I spent 2 years using ubuntu with gnome. But as soon as I tried mint I saw it was waay better.

Anyway, do whatever the fuck you want.

I'm using Ubuntu right now

i'm using windows 10 right now

Debian is honestly a very good choice. It's stable, can usually run the stuff Ubuntu gets (Ubuntu is typically one of the first to get third-party programs new to Linux), doesn't have the spyware and crap Ubuntu has been adding, and is one of the most popular server OS's in case you want to learn how to sysadmin.

Honestly, if you really want to know how Linux works beyond a user level (which is REALLY not worth it unless you want to work in IT - learning Excel or Python would be a much better use of that time), then you should familiarize yourself with the Arch Wiki, Gentoo Handbook, and then read LFS.

The most useful thing to do with Linux is learn how to script and program (or web dev, or some EE), which you can comfortably do in Debian. I can elaborate on the benefits of Gentoo, but unless you work at Google or are a sysadmin it's not worth it.

Debian, but you probably shouldn't take my advice, since I use xmonad, when I'm not working in emacs-without-x, lynx, or related.

I second the LFS part.

why this edit?
why not a pic of J.K. Simmons, the voice of Tenzin & who has shaved his head for almost every role for th last 15 years?

please, stop retarding all over the place

there is a small but significant deviation in the rates of repeating digits in this thread

Can you objectively name one thing ubuntu does better than mint nowadays besides codec support?

Just downloaded this one

really? never saw it getting hacked
do you have any pics or sauce?

Ubuntu is Debian as if it was made by Microsoft. OP, if you're considering at all Ubuntu or a derivative (except Trisquel), please research why Ubuntu is awful first.

Also, if you pick Debian, I'd recommend the testing repo, it's really not much less stable than stable is, and it's usually far more up-to-date.

blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994

>Ubuntu is Debian as if it was made by Microsoft.
perfect

Debian is just a remake of Softlanding Linux System, so just use that.
But Linux is basically a shitty version of UNIX anyway. Why not use that?

Oh, right... Because when people build on something they're usually improving it...

Maybe those are dead, while Debian is still run by a large and well-managed team, consistently meeting all of its goals, which are not stagnated, as opposed to how Ubuntu is run by a company with corporate goals.

mint

Kali

Debian. Great general purpose distribution, and you're not a colossal faggot using Ubuntu. LXDE is a good desktop environment, especially on potatoes.

I actually prefer Debian. I'm this guy: This dude's logic is just totally off.

mint

So, let me see
Debian - complicated, originated some of the others
Ubuntu - Based on Debian, spy shit
Mint - Easy stuff, won't learn much
Arch - the Donnie Darko of Linuxes (full of wannabe fans)

Am I getting it?

thanks

Name a distro with better repos than debian. Who wants to compile their own kernel? Never used gentoo, except a live version. Seems like more trouble than its worth.

because yo dawg

Basically.
Except that you can learn shit with any distro, including mint, if you want to. Difference is that some distros don't *require* you to learn.

Extremely long time between releases, developers are babies (why are we not making money?!!? reeeeeeee). It could be better.

It's a nice aesthetic though, and the apps bundled with it (e.g. Midori) actually aren't bad. It depends on your priorities.

Debian - not complicated, basically as quirk-free and "generic" (for the better) as it gets
Ubuntu - based on Debian, spy shit, among many other things, also nonfree software
Mint - slightly better than Ubuntu
Arch - full of wannabe fans

You're mostly correct. I think if you want to learn the system, while Arch and Gentoo do force you to get your hands dirty, it's really not the best way into it, and it's really up to you how you decide to get there. You can just use your system and slowly grow, or you can just be willing to actively explore your system when given opportunities, or you can try to apply it to new tasks (like servers or routers, or alternative ways of everyday computing). Of course, if you want to take the Arch/Gentoo-style, LFS is for those serious (I'd recommend going to Debian first, especially since it's meant for people already using and having a reasonable understanding of your computer).

Give half a shit about security. The mint maintainers are awful. They delay security patches and got their forums hacked.

Arch is a good middle ground between debian and gentoo.

You will be forced to learn Linux on Arch, but will not have to compile every package from source, which can be excessively time consuming.

If a program isn't found in the repo, the Arch User Repository will likely have what you are looking for.

TL;DR
Go with Arch

You could try Solus, it has a nice UI and good UX

Bruhhhhhhh I tried to put gnome on ubuntu...had to reinstall it...I'm going to try fedora

Anybody who thinks Debian is significantly harder to use than Ubuntu is dumb. You just use su instead of sudo by default, and learn a few commands like apt-get install.
You still get far more street cred than Ubuntu users on Sup Forums.

Arch is actually ok, but the Archfags on Sup Forums are terrible. Gentoo has a more professional community. I would try installing Gentoo in a VM. You would actually learn a lot about what the fuck the automated installer is actually doing on other systems. Don't use it as a daily driver, though.

That's the kind of answer I was looking for. Thanks user!

Triskele

remember, to upgrade it's as easy as, >apt install sudo
I agree with the VM part as opposed to using it as your daily system, but I *still* think LFS would be a better choice, even in a VM.

Ubuntu if you want easy.
Arch if you want hard.
CentOS if you're American and want to get a job out of it.
OpenSUSE if you are German and want to get a job out of it.
Fedora if you want bleeding edge features.
Gentoo if you want to fit in with the autists here.
Slackware if you want to fit in with the 40+ autists.

Glad to help.

CENTOS is godtier difficult

lol.... If it's not in the repository just give up now.
lol

I'm using Elementary OS Luna. It's old but the new Freya kept freezing up on me so i went back. My computer is old as fuck and I ain't buying a new one just to browse FaceSpace and Sup Forums and pay my bils.

Ubuntu minimal.

CentOS is easy. Everything is super stable and epel has just about anything you'd ever need. Plus a lot of commercial stuff releases rpms, so you don't have to fuck with the crappy installer scripts that they pack in the tarball that other distros are stuck with.