THE KING OF Sup Forums

Is the "thinking" user's club to meet this week? I should certainly hope so. Get. In. Here.

nationalreview.com/article/435036/captain-america-superheroes-dumbed-down?target=author&tid=1152026

>Is it overreaching — or being humorless — to recognize and critique a piece of entertainment that takes America’s schism lightly? Will fanboys — or for that matter film critics — ever understand that Marvel Studios has engineered a cultural coup that prevents viewers from thinking? How did we get here?

I agree with about half of his review.

I still enjoyed the movie for other reasons.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/undecipherable
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Civil war is being destroyed by jungle book and furryshit

How will they cope when x men is out?

> The trivializing has grabbed such hold that when a genuine pop artist like Zack Snyder deepens comics lore into visionary, moral art (the profound Man of Steel and Batman v Superman), many fanboys, and critics, react with anger, resentment — and ignorance.

All that needs to be said

>he liked BvS
>he liked GI Joe 2
>he liked Transformers 2
>he hated The Dark Knight

I'm surprised he didn't like Civil War just because everyone was expecting him to hate it, considering his opinions depend on what others think.

>that takes America’s schism lightly
Why is this guy so obsessed with Republicans vs Democrats and 9/11?
Why does he think everything is about that?

>le monkey faced man has opinions of a movie so I must parrot them as my own and worship him for them.

Almond "I wish I was" White posters can fuck off back to whatever shit bin they came out of.

It's not even fun to read his reviews anymore, he's become a parody of himself. Early on you could tell he was just a rather obscure reviewer with unorthodox taste - He didn't base his opinions solely off of contrarianism.

The Jack and Jill review was the beginning of the end.

>n-no way people can form opinions! e-everything is just a kneejerk reaction to other people actions!

Based Marvelcuck, spoken like the manchild you truly are

He likes politics. Aren't his reviews even in a political publication?

Go be irrelevant somewhere else, mad DC cuck.

This is Armond White. That is literally what he does now.

Notice how he never releases HIS reviews anymore until a consensus is already in?

yeah. don't know where he's getting that from.

God I love reading Armond White, it just affirms how below the average university graduate he is. Absolutely hilarious.

>As momentary adversaries, Captain America and Iron Man almost represent the schism that now divides American voters...
Not its intent. The title civil war is a misnomer, i'll grant that, but this is the means to a different end.

>superficial patriotism.
Over the course of their movies, and even with civil war itself, there is absolutely no allusion to their "patriotism". Cap is hardly the most patriotic even at the height of WW2, while Ironman is wary of leaking his technology to the government. To point this quality out as a shortcoming is to completely misinterpret this.

>Ironman represents authoritarianism
Again, an idiotic misreading of the movie. This civil war adaptation is not nearly as ideologically driven as the comic. The "civil war" in this movie is character driven. The difference between the "serkovia accords" and the registration act is a difference of several magnitudes. One is accepting limitations and responsibility, the other is submitting to a higher power.

>taking America's schism lightly
Not its goal. This is doubly retarded in light of the notoriously long production cycle and planning of these movies; civil war has likely been in the works long before such a "schism". Again, Armond's uncontrollable autistic political wankery is getting the best of him.

>Prevents its viewers from thinking?
There are good movies that are "turn your brain off movies" in ways. These are movies that have very little basis in reality, but have internal consistency that merits recognition. i.e. Total Recall, Die Hard, etc, etc. Lots of action movies are not "thinkers" and yet they are undeniable good FILMS and ENTERTAINMENT.

>politics as sentimentality:
This has a historical and psychological precedent actually, there's correlation (and perhaps causation if i checked long enough) in political views and youth.

>Cont

>Superheroes represent teenage rebellion
>Proceeds to list heroes on both sides of the view, including those in favor and those against.
That's embarrassingly weak evidence.

>Each one’s predicament represents a denial of the moral complexities that come with maturity
Precisely. Both sides are wrong, and given that he has listed heroes on both side this statement is an implicit affirmation of how the viewer can see merit for either side. Armond is again letting his political wankery supercede a qualitative analysis. That is, an analysis as to its objective qualities rather than the subjective qualities it may have in whichever retarded ideological lens he chooses.

>Arguing against working for the capitalist government.
Apparently Armond is so close-sighted, or else so idiotic that he missed the part in the movie where they state that the accords would be based in the UN. In fact, there is a lengthy sequence of the movie dedicated to this fact. He is either setting this absolute fact aside in order to progress his objectively wrong interpretation, or else has such a bad memory that he's made a mistake.

>Civil War is politics as adolescents misperceive social/global crisis.
Another embarrassingly bad phrase, did he even proof read? The use of slashes in writing is ordinarily bad, but to have such a clumsy sentence is pretty funny for a writer.

>deepens comics lore into visionary, moral art
Art has no morality. To judge art's quality based on morality is idiotic. If this is his stance, then Armond is in the same strata of people that would condemn Wagner for being an anti-semite, and so on. Ironically, it would seem that he's as misinformed about art as the "cry bully" far-leftists that he deplores.

>Movies as violent as the Marvel flicks are not pacifist but are proof of anti-military sentiment
Movies that are so violent that no one dies? Seems a tad hypocritical to criticize their lack of consequences and then follow it by condemning its violence.

They haven't always been. It was only after he got booted from the NY critics's circle that he took up with NR (which is incredibly political, it's also a worthwhile read even if you disagree with their stances.).

What he talks about and the political power of Hollywood's and Motion Pictures' ability to influence political thought isn't insignificant, but I do believe he reads too much into some things.

For example this is actually pretty on point:
>Alfre Woodard...appears as a grieving mother who blames Stark — standing in for the Military Industrial Complex — for the death of her child, a promising youth with a 3.6 grade-point average. Woodard’s “Who’s going to avenge my son?” shamelessly taps the illusion of Michael Brown, Freddie Gray, and Tamir Rice as Boy Scouts and potential Rhodes scholars. That’s way out of bounds.

But this is reaching:
>Movies as violent as the Marvel flicks are not pacifist but are proof of anti-military sentiment — such as became evident in the confused Ferguson protestations about “militarized police,” a foolish, redundant term exploited by manipulative media outlets and politicians. Civil War furbishes aggression simply to excite viewers who are as programmed as poor Bucky.

>Civil War references BLM: Tamir rice, etc, etc.
ROFL. Genuinely made me laugh. Holy shit that's hilarious. This literal nigger faggot thinks that a dead black person that is referenced is a stand in for those revered (falsely most often imo) by BLM? Based on what? That they're both black? Where's the evidence? If anything, the fact that he WAS a scholar and WAS an enterprising as well as affluent kid precludes such comparisons. Not that such a comparison would even matter if Armond's political idiocy wasn't being deferred to.

>Pointless fighting.
Except that the movie's pacing and plot has made all the motivations clear, has explained what is going on, what's at stake, and what the timeline is. Unlike BvS the action of the scene, while certainly has indulgent as Armond states, is completely cohesive. Its because of this cohesiveness that its arguably far less decedent than the battles between Superman and Batman as well as the trinity versus Doomsday. The catalyst for these events are muddled and flawed in a number of ways, and yet are executed for the sake of fan fare.

>undecipherable action.
Another embarrassing example of Armond's writing, undecipherable isn't even a word. Based on my experience 90% of the action, regardless of shakiness at times, is entirely understandable. Not only are all the character components present, but the actual camera movements and blocking makes all the movements and actions work. But again, Armond resorts to hyperbole to arrive at his politically informed pre-existent judgement.

>rebooting for rebooting
Considering the studio fuckery that has gone on no. Considering the new casting and its positive reaction no. Considering spiderman's role in the comics no. Again, Armond has baseless cyncism.

>Overall
Grade C+. Disregards evidence to substantiate a vague thesis, has instances of flawed writing, lacks specificity and examples. Maybe after a couple more drafts it could earn something worth while.

Actually the king of Sup Forums is Max Landis

Max is our boy

(pseudo-meme-pasta)
(a cuck)
(a cuck)
(a cuck)
(a cuck)
(a cuck)
(a cuck)
marvel KEKS LITERALLY on suicide watch

I like GI Joe 2 because some parts of it are bombastically retarded in a similar way to the cartoon, but overall I know its not a good movie. Elektra was more like Elektra in it than in Daredevil funny enough.

>Tony is literally (D)
>he's Red
>Cap is literally (R)
>he's Blue
>Downey, Jr. is (R) in real life
>Chris Evans is (D) in real life

This fucking cognitive dissonance. ARRGGHHHHH

>its a high school student marks his teacher's writing episode

See, its fine and dandy if he doesn't like the film, sure. But his criticism seems to be that it handles class warfare and America's political schism badly.
Those aren't themes of the piece, they are ideological conflicts he is imposing. Its a little like criticising Transformers for its unfair representation of Inuits. Inuits simply don't feature. Class warfare and the current political climate in America simply don't feature.
The last review of his plastered all over TV at least had a grain of truth to of, one can't deny echoes of 9/11 in BvS, one can't deny what Snyder attempted, only quibble over the execution.
This though?
It reeks of pseudointellectualism masking clickbait contrarianism. Sorry, but if you put aside your battle over whose movie about toys is better (Civil War clearly), you'd see you are ALL being played.

TDK is the most overrated movie of the last 10-15 years, having most of the same problems that Nolan's other movies do, but I'd have to disagree with Based Armond's opinion of those other movies.

>reeks of pseudointellectualism masking clickbait contrarianism
u mad tho?
stay triggered marvelKEK

>it's a DCuck episode

>image.gif

>image.jpg

>image.jpg

>image.jpg

He liked:

>Grown Ups
>Jonah Hex
>G.I. Joe
>G.I. Joe 2
>Battle: Los Angeles
>The Green Hornet
>Clash of the Titans
>Indiana Jones 4
>Transformers 2
>Death Race
>Fantastic Four: Rise of Silver Surfer
>I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry
>Takers
>Taken
>Transporter 3
>Resident Evil: Afterlife
>Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

He disliked:
>The Tree of Life
>There Will Be Blood
>Black Swan
>The Social Network
>Tangled
>The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
>The Road
>The King's Speech
>Synecdoche, New York
>Speed Racer
>Transformers
>Toy Story 3
>Eastern Promises
>Stardust
>The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
>Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
>Tales from the Golden Age
>Let Me In
>All Marvel movies
>The Dark Knight
>Mother
>The Hurt Locker
>Blue Valentine
>Up
>Hellboy 2

He also compared Hannah to Kick-Ass because they both have a young female character, thinks I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry is a modern classic, thinks Live Free or Die Hard is the best Die Hard, compared The Road to Resident Evil, thinks Clash of the Titans is better than the LOTR Trilogy, prefers Transformers 2 to Transformers, and thinks CJ7 is deeper and more profound than There Will Be Blood.

>highly rates Paramount toy commercials

gee, wonder where he gets his paycheck.

Fuck off, Max.

Ya know, the pun Falcon made about Mark Fuhrman was incredibly racially charged. I'm surprised White didn't bring it up.

I do agree to some extent see >National Review
>clickbait
Lmao.

>taking the time to type this out

hmmm...

He disliked shitty movies and a controversial one and he stated his reasons. What's the problem with this?

>woaahhh how can he dislike the shameless disney nostalgia cash grab?????

Fucking insane

This review is such a waste.
Marveldrones can't read and the rest of the world already knows capeshit is shallow and irredeemable.

Le click bait

In which I rate Armond's taste. If I say good. It means he's right. If I say bad, he's wrong.

>He liked:
>>Grown Ups
Bad
>>Jonah Hex
Good
>>G.I. Joe
Bad
>>G.I. Joe 2
Good
>>Battle: Los Angeles
Bad
>>The Green Hornet
Bad
>>Clash of the Titans
Bad
>>Indiana Jones 4
Good
>>Transformers 2
Good
>>Death Race
Good
>>Fantastic Four: Rise of Silver Surfer
Bad
>>I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry
Bad
>>Takers
Good
>>Taken
Good
>>Transporter 3
Good
>>Resident Evil: Afterlife
Bad
>>Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Good, it's a 7/10

(con't)

>He disliked:
>>The Tree of Life
Good
>>There Will Be Blood
Bad
>>Black Swan
Good
>>The Social Network
Good
>>Tangled
Bad
>>The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Good
>>The Road
Bad
>>The King's Speech
Good
>>Synecdoche, New York
Haven't seen
>>Speed Racer
Fucking wrong
>>Transformers
Bad
>>Toy Story 3
Good
>>Eastern Promises
Good
>>Stardust
Good
>>The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
This was complete dogshit, he's bang on
>>Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
Good
>>Tales from the Golden Age
Haven't seen
>>Let Me In
Bad
>>All Marvel movies
Some good, most bad
>>The Dark Knight
Bad
>>Mother
Good
>>The Hurt Locker
Bad
>>Blue Valentine
Bad
>>Up
Bad
>>Hellboy 2
He's wrong

>He also compared Hannah to Kick-Ass because they both have a young female character,
They actually do share some similarities, but not for that reason
>thinks I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry is a modern classic,
Can't win em all
>thinks Live Free or Die Hard is the best Die Hard,
I'm almost inclined to agree, but With a Vengeance is better
>compared The Road to Resident Evil,
Valid
>thinks Clash of the Titans is better than the LOTR Trilogy,
I think he's seriously mistaken
>prefers Transformers 2 to Transformers,
So did I. Age of Extinction is the best.
>and thinks CJ7 is deeper and more profound than There Will Be Blood.
I disagree, but TWBB really wasn't that "deep"

>type this out
Do you copy paste text to quote people, icuck?

I didn't say anything about the movies he liked, moron.
Learn to read.

>undecipherable isn't even a word.
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/undecipherable

Look at this list and tell me he's not the contrarian that so many faggots on this website wish they could become. He gets paid to shitpost and troll in print.

You got me there, but he's honestly reaching for clicks.

I disagree with a few there but not bad.

his taste in movies is too inconsistant imo.

>thinking National Review needs clicks
Stay prole.

Personally, I think he's too harsh on what would otherwise just be a mediocre work.

>Guy agrees with you.
>Suddenly he is based
>Suddenly he is ''THE KING OF Sup Forums''
>Suddenly what one guy thinks is important

Oh and before you go wild, i enjoy both DC and Marvel movies but this is some of the most pathetic shit i have ever seen.

>thinking National Review needs clicks

They sell advertising. They're more about pushing their republican agenda though.

I still don't understand how he can praise some things that are straight up bad.

Nearly all of their funding comes in the form of big donations.

He also likes Roy Andersson and Wong Kar-Wai and hates mumblecore
Why are you getting upset about those mainstream titles?

I disagree with him more than not
>suddenly
It's not "sudden" and it's also a pseudo-meme, given his (and our claimed) contrarian natures.

Yea, they often exchange it for advertising. Keeping track of site traffic helps maintain the value of a site. They dont GIVE anything away for free.

>i enjoy both DC and Marvel movies

Sebastian Stan looks much better with the beard.

>KEKS
Why are you censoring yourself?

>I participate in the console wars

>I think capeshit is good

Funny because it's the normies who like capeshit, while it's the autists in Sup Forums who hate it.

>I dislike the only worthwhile blockbusters that are being released right now.

>I enjoy Hollywood garbage made for children

How does it feel being irrelevant.

>I use baseless ad-hominem when I can't come up with actual criticisms

>I enjoy films as an art form, my favorite directors are Joss Whedon and Zack Snyder

>I am proud of the fact that I look forward to corporate cash grabs, my mother even lets me buy the merchandise with choking hazard labels on them

>ad-hominem

>ad-hominem

>I think that calling out an adult man for enjoying children's movies is an ad-hominem

>ad-hominem

ALPHA+ UPRISING WHEN??>?

>if I repeat a Latin term maybe people will think I'm a mature adult and not a manchild who watches all the movies about men in tights punching each other

>his opinions depend on what others think.

wrong.

it's right.

>image.jpg

Based Armond firmly cementing himself as the Lord and Saviour of Film Criticism. Why do these other pretenders even try?

not an argument

Are there any other film critics like him?

I read an interview with him and somebody asked if there were any critics he like and he basically just said it was him against the world.

>being poor

>iPhone
>sign of wealth

>>>Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
>Good, it's a 7/10
Laughing evans.png

I feel like it must be a burden always being right about everything.

it's wrong.

how is this even possible not to be called contrarian for the sake of it?

You did it again Armond.