Were the Replacements the hairspray knuckle-dragging buttrock of the 80s alt scene?

Were the Replacements the hairspray knuckle-dragging buttrock of the 80s alt scene?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pte3Jg-2Ax4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes

what

yes

No, that would be The Cure, or possibly REM by virtue of them being more successful/popular/accessible

The Replacements had a much more divisive appeal to them, so it'd be stupid to call them the buttrock of their field. What is there that would even suggest that? The fact that Sup Forums generally likes them so they're hipster shit?

I don't care they were the best

sey

Just listened to a few songs and it's clear that Kurt Cobain copped his vocal style from this.

They weren't nearly popular enough for that.

HEARD ABOUT YOUR BAND

is answering machine the most heart-wrenching alt rock song ever written ?

here comes a regular

You could say that about that about the entire album really. Only thing that comes close is Big Star.

Jane's Addiction, if they count

I don't get the appeal of Them.

anyone else think paul westerberg is a fucking great rhythm guitarist? i've never seen him praised on it but it seems obvious

This is very true.

I used to think all the good guitar shit came from Bob but I think Paul just mellowed out on later albums.

yeah his playing is rarely even that noticeable and in your face but if you listen closely you can really tell it's vital to the songs and he's doing way more than just holding down the chord progression
hence great rhythm player

Wasn't I'll Be You a big hit and a few of the other later singles went Number 1 on modern rock charts?

The Replacements are great, but they never wrote a song as good as Thirteen- which is fine because Big Star never had a record as good as Let It Be, Tim, or Pleased to Meet Me.

youtube.com/watch?v=pte3Jg-2Ax4

Unsatisfied I'd say. Let It Be just really gets to you

Swingin party gets me