I wanna be a scientist Sup Forums

I wanna be a scientist Sup Forums.

What do

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/012OE9ge1GbmdqbZD
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Study the study of science, Scientology.

get off Sup Forums and go to /sci/

Be born into a rich family or you've got no chance

Transport yourself to a different universe where knowledge is more valuable than money.

My family is poor, can i still be a scientist?

Start by studying scientology and go from there

This is why I don't date fat girls. But damn the chick near the end is hot af

Watch the science channel, discovery or nat geo.
You idiot

Bill Nye is not a fucking scientist faggot. He has a bachelors in mechanical engineering. He's about as qualified to talk about climate change as a lightly steamed, diced vegetable.

Major in a STEM field and don't look back.

Unfortunately, Political Science is not considered STEM.

Bill Nye is a great scientist

Read AND UNDERSTAND papers.

Don't be like Bill Nye because he's a fucking joke.

I loved his show as a kid and used to think he was amazing, but recently he has shown himself to be an ignorant retard. First off, he isn't even a real scientist, he studied mechanical engineering. And all he does nowadays is talk about political shit, which he's even more retarded about.

nope

First you have to keep the methylamine flowing

>everything he says is wrong cuz i read 2 lines of wikipedia

Well that is a 'wanna be' scientist, so I would say you're on the right track.

What kind of scientist? What field do want to go into? Do you want to be an engineer, computer scientist, do research? What kind of research? Physics, Biology, Chemistry? If you don't have any academic experience, sign up for community college classes in a stem field that interests you, study hard, be a model student so that you can get referred by professors for job opportunities and internships, transfer to a 4-year uni. By then hopefully you've narrowed down your field of interest in looking towards Grad-school and a PhD.

Do your homework and shit in high school, get better than average grades.
Then just do some bullshit science degree that you're interested in, graduate that, then you can branch off from there.
Have fun OP.

Oh , forgot to mention, it'll probably Co about 45 grand t achieve, hours of studying, stress, and dick head school faculty making you jump through hoops t get there. Good luck.

How is this hard? Go do undergrad in a a STEM field (physics, chemistry, biology, geology, ect). Graduate with a BS. Apply for grants to go to grad school. Get into grad school with a grant (without one you'll need a loan, which isn't worth it if you wan to be a scientist). Finish grad school with a phd in your field. Get a grant to do research at a university, government lab, or for a private company (pay increases from academia to government to private).

You can actually make a decent amount as a scientist doing research for pharmaceutical companies, petroleum and mineral companies, chemical companies, tech companies, and even aerospace companies. You make more as you advance your career and move in to management of research teams instead of just conducting research.

But this is just to be a "true" scientist. You can work in a stem career without as much school.

Learn math, math and more math.

Quiet faggot

Also, for grad school, many companies will pay you to attend if you work there before applying. There are also grants, teaching opportunities and scholarships so if you're smart and you look around you should have to pay for a phd

thanks user

>study mechanical engineering and get your BS
>work in aeronautics for a bit
>write comedy and quit your day job
>spend the majority of your career educating 10 year olds through TV sketches
>???
>Get hailed as a scientific authority for said sketches by autists and /r/atheists the web over

BILL!

Not sure where the skepticism regarding Mechanical Engineering major comes from. In just undergrad alone, extensive Physics, Math and knowledge of the scientific method is necessary.

Look! Yet another person who cba to look past his wikipedia lens

don't become a chemist. They make no money and get no jobs. Become any type of scientist with the word engineer in their name.

discord.gg/012OE9ge1GbmdqbZD

Come jon bs chat.

what the fuck is that pic its just water

I was at a museum once, and approached by this guy. He came up to me and said "lemme get some dat dick action", but I was confused because I was at a WWI display and I thought he was referring to the mannequin.

True, and he has done important work introducing basic scientific concepts to millions of people, but when was the last time Nye was published? What master classes does he teach? What Think Tank does he belong to? He is a scientist, I'm not disputing that, I just think that he's been given undue authority by people that are attracted to the idea of "science" but lack an understanding in the field beyond lessons meant for school children

>Sit on Sup Forums all day
>Criticize Bill Nye

This

But on a serious note take a lot of science classes, I'm assuming you're an underage highschool fag like I was not long ago....
Read things like national geographic watch science channel and just generally fucking study

And in all seriousness get the fuck off Sup Forums
> I can say that because I'm going to be majoring in environmental science

Cool man. You can think that.

>shitting on Sup Forums user for using Sup Forums while using Sup Forums
This site truly is cancer

Im not the one dragging Bill Nye through the mud. Kys. I'm quite content sitting on Sup Forums, I just don't act like i'm better than someone thousands of times more successful than myself.

>environmental science
i think he means a real scientist

Bill Nye also invented 'KY Jelly' so he could more easily fuck his deceased father. It was originally named "NYE gel", but Johnson & Johnson quickly renamed it, as to not offend Muslims.

This is a fair criticism. I have no other disputes o:

if you put half the effort you do of shitposting into becoming a scientific research like me, you could have a great day for the first half and the economic ecology for green energy

OP, if you're still in HS, get with your favorite science teachers and ask them for resources. Let them know that you'd like to become a scientist. Try to learn as much as you can in class, take as many science courses as you can, and look for creative ways to enter the science fair. Scholarships and grants are a necessity if you want to pursue a masters/PhD. You may even get to help a scientist in the lab or field if your project calls for it. This will help expose you to the day to day work of a scientist, and also give you experience that will be invaluable when you start college.

Basically, you want to have as much exposure as possible to scientific ideas and practices before college. I recommend taking some AP courses if the difficulty/cost of the test won't be an issue. In your first year of uni, take a science elective. If you go to a liberal arts school you'll need to take a science class anyways, so if you haven't declared pick one that interests you. Do your best to network in HS and undergrad, those connects will be invaluable after you graduate. gl

I respect Bill Nye and the work that he has done. I just don't think he's a scientific authority, not in the sense that many people want him to be. Sorry if I upset you, my intent was never to act like I'm better than Bill, rather I was expressing my frustration at the way people can be blinded to things when they idolize someone and place them on a pedestal

Go to Venezuela and study Medicine in the UC, it's really easy...

Itt: reddit, the thread

>respect Bill Nye and the work that he has done.

xD

A true scientific scientist would not use his scientific science to propogate a political profit.

I feel like this post is important...
...but it makes no sense

I think he's saying that a scientist purely interested in their field or propagating science wouldn't use their influence for personal gain? idk

>I wanna be a scientist

Don't.
If you major in a science and get a Bachelors, you won't work in an awesome lab doing amazing revolutionary experiments

you'll end up as a lab tech monkey doing the same shit on repeat with no room for creativity 90% if the time. Learning science is fun, working in a lab is not fun and they pay you sticks unless you luck out and work for a large company, which doesn't really happen. That means you need to get a masters or phd to do anything

Do yourself a favor and be an engineer instead (Chem eng, biomed eng, CE, etc)

That's far from true, just being persistent, work hard and study harder... This will allow you to go post doc working for someone mid level. It helps if you're not particular about moving to seemingly small places not as prestigious sounding institutions. You do need some minimal social skills/networking but given STEM is filled to the brim with autist just being generally nice and not stepping on anyone's toes will do.Now if you're talented, highly intelligent and ambitious the sky is the limit, you can be tenured and basically be set for life or even go for the big bucks in private enterprise. Again hard work and persistence, if you're not willing to work 16 hours days while you prove yourself and live relatively modestly then yes you will wash out. This is the part were actually loving science pays off.

Do yourself a scientifical favor and don't tell me how to live my life of science.

heavily promote that you're siding with human-caused climate change, you will get all the funding you need

>live my life of science

>live my life of unemployment or making 35k annually doing menial tasks

ftfy

Make sure your name rhymes with something science-y and be willing to take handouts for lying to people.

How would he make 35k being unemployed?

>asks for advice
>don't tell me how to live my life

Mix some water, salt, and blue food coloring. Say you're a liberal and claim it's the cure to The Common Cold. It's quite easy really.

>or

thats not op

Try or user.

you're not op

>What do

Science maybe?

actually i am lol

you threatening me?

wow, civil discourse. who knew it was possible.

> "work in an awesome lab doing amazing revolutionary experiments"

And what would that be? NASA? CERN? Jurassic World? 90% of science is doing the same shit on repeat. Those people going on awesome expeditions to exotic places IRL go through a lot of shit to do stuff 90% of humans would find boring and the return with samples to do 90% shit. There's no scientific field in which you'll be given run of your own lab and asked to be mad scientist "creative" your pay gade will depend on your ability to publish which means a lot of extra work which mostly you don't get to choose, you'll be working on whatever area your team is in... It takes a lot of love, I'm by no means trying to demean science, and love is a thing you don't choose. Engineering is no doubt better for some people and even then it isn't all playing shop, there's a lot of time spent on the computer with deadlines looming. If anyone is going into science I'd say choose something you love, you'll be spending a good deal of the rest of your life on the more technical aspects of it they ususally skip over on tv shows...

but im op

The resentment is palpable.

do science

>(You)

this. Just recently started as a student assistant in a biotech lab. Even past the post-doc level, it seems like you're doomed to repetitive experiments and publishing. It really takes a special kind of person to be a scientist, not just because of the rigor of a STEM education, but the job in and of itself is pretty stifling.

Had me until the last 2 words.

What if op was about to solve the cure for cancer, but your bitterness towards your own situation has changed his mind and you have set humankind back 1000 years with one post, slut?

just as planned

>(You)
call me new but why do people quote you

Bill Nye is not a scientist. He's an entertainer.

Educator*

What? Nah, I have a lot of fun in my own field, went for the humanities then into law... I do have a lot of scientist friends tho, they be wroking while I'm drinking, they're working while I'm getting laid, they're wroking while I'm wasting my time on internet forums... I will say one thing tho, med students probably get the most amount of crazy sex than anyone in any fucking career you could possibly choose, it's true, those motherfuckers get laid and whatever they may say a lot of them do take advantage of easy access to drugs...

Nah, it's amateur science for me. I do live in a country with plenty of fossils and undiscovered species and I do like the outdoors so I may get to fucking name a species one day... It's really all about finding an appropiately obscure genus to collect then getting a real scientist to do the 90% shit work...

then take classes, participate in labs, be adamant about doing this for the rest of your life. If you can't commit to something for the rest of your life, then what you do invest your time in will be shallow, and limited.

SCIENCE WILL BE USELESS WHEN ISLAM RULES THE WORLD

ALAH HU ACKBAR AMDULILAH BISMILLAH

Better start sucking a lot of dick

%triforce