Should i watch Twin Peaks?

Is this a legit top show like the wire, sopranos, breaking bad, game of thrones, curb your enthusiasm, arested development, etc. or is it just a quirky, cult show or show with a loyal but weird following like ppl who watch dr. who and give themselves names?

i don't wanna waste my time if it's not a great show.

The first season is groundbreaking. The Wire and The Sopranos trump it in term of writing (The Wire being objectively number one followed by The Sopranos) but in terms of vision Twin Peaks trumps them all.

Also why do people always neglect the UK office it is the best written comedy series of all time. Curb pales in comparison imo.

just watched it
did i like it?

it's a meme show first and foremost even if nobody called it that at the time. it is literally about a town populated by "quirky" memes. like the loglady meme, the girl in plastic meme, the coffee and pie meme and that's not even getting into all that black lodge nonsense with its dancing midgets spouting memetry. it was a bit of a revolution for what TV shows could do and paved the way for the shows you cite as examples of good TV but unless you have historical insterest avoid it and stick with the actually good stuff.

cont. Watch it up until they reveal the killer and then if you enjoyed it and want to see more finish the 2nd season through all the garbage to get the final episode, because the ending is great. And in my personal opinion you should watch the entire show just so you can watch the movie (TP: Fire Walk With me) in context because it's one of the greatest horrors/ psychological thrillers of the 90's.

Pay attention to this guy: Ignore this guy because he's an ignorant:

Ignore this leddit baiter,

Its pretty good OP, second season falls through halfway but its worth the time investment.

>Also why do people always neglect the UK office it is the best written comedy series of all time

It's too short. People don't like short shows, unless it's cancelled early so then you get that "too good to last" memery.

I love The Wire, but I legitimately lose respect for anyone who says it has better writing than The Sopranos. Its writing isn't even as good as Mad Men's.

I feel like saying The Wire has the best writing ever has just become one of those conventional things that everyone just says without even thinking about it or knowing what they're talking about.

>demon
youre wrong nigger

I agree. Objectively, The Wire is only the 9th best show ever written. (Sopranos is the absolute best and Mad Men is #7).

The ending is the only piece of visual media I think I've ever actually cried at. Just the writing and the payoff is so beautiful. It was such a cared for show.

Dude I love the Sopranos but The Wire is just at the top of the pile I cannot believe you think Mad Men was written better. After watching the Sopranos for a while I did think that it was written better but then I realized that I just loved the show better but in reality The Wire was just a better masterpiece.

>thinking about it this much

What the fuck is wrong with you?

>on film and tv board
>why the fuck are you thinking about tv?

The Wire's symbolism was way too overt and its message was pounded over the viewer's head, all the while it (mostly) struggled to make its characters seem truly human in a way those other two shows excelled at. The show was presented in a way that never really sold out for drama, but the 5th season was broadcast TV drama-level hokey.

David Simon's real world experience created something refreshingly different and gritty, and it was still a well written show from someone who really isn't a TV writer, but it's not the GOAT, and not on the level of Sopranos or MM.

Watch it. It's got some top-tier waifus.

If you watch the pilot you will almost certainly watch a bit more and probably continue to the end of season 1, by which point you might as well carry on to the very end to get the pay off of the finale and enough perspective to go ahead and watch the fantastic movie.

The pilot really is great and immediately draws you into the world of Twin Peaks.

whos your favorite user

It's good and worth watching but it's definitely overrated because of nostalgia and le quirky music and characters.

There are some great scenes

post the complete list

When someone says they don't like this scene, it's a strong indication that they didn't understand the show in general.

the story that was used to kick off the series reaches its climax midway through the second season, you should still watch the 10 or so episodes following (ranging in quality from sort of okay to fucking retarded) just for the fantastic finale and the sequel/prequel movie

The first seasons is great, the second season has great moments and Fire Walk With Me is great

Watch it all friendo

It's a fantastic show. Watch the first three episodes or so, if it doesn't click by the end of THAT scene ( I won't ruin it, but you'll know) it probably isn't for you.

You'll also have to push yourself through the middle third of the second series, it was handed off to guest writers and directors and is a bit of a mess, but it picks up again after that. Then watch the movie.

Oh, and don't watch the International Pilot, watch the regular one.

Literally no reason not to watch it. You watched so much garbage in your life, why not spend some time on a modern classic

>game of thrones
>legit top show

wew lad

Agreed, it's perfect on so many levels

It's vastly superior to all of the series you listed except for the wire and the sopranos. It's my personal favorite show ever but objectively I'd still say the wire and sopranos are "better shows."

Watch the pilot. If you don't like it, you probably won't like the rest. Also, you're a pleb.

>And in my personal opinion you should watch the entire show just so you can watch the movie (TP: Fire Walk With me) in context because it's one of the greatest horrors/ psychological thrillers of the 90's.

Patrician detected.

Every time someone says GoT is a great show, I tell them to imagine it without its budget. It would be the most hollow show ever. Literally Eye Candy: The Show.

AMC gave Mad Men and Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul less than half the budget of Game of Thrones, and they got 10x the quality in return. It's a shame that the general public likes style over substance. (Especially in Mad Men's case)

Mad Men started out fine but really started dragging on after a while. I wouldn't list it under the great examples of tv shows quite honestly.

>The Wire is le greatest of all time maymay
Reddit get out

Worst opinion in this thread desu senpai

I laughed.
>Sopranos and The Wire the best written shows
Deadwood and a bunch of other shows are better written than The Wire.

I enjoyed Mad Men but I felt it was directionless and didn't come close to the HBO greats like The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, etc.

I started to watch Twin peaks after waatching a "let's play" of Deadly premonition. I was told back in 96/97 that this show was awesome and i probably should watch it, but i never understood Lynch's work, it was never talking to me.
So after watching that "let's play", i watched the show, and i enjoyed the lore, the photography of the episodes, the location, and of course most of the characters.
I watched it to the end, and i enjoyed it. Not all of it, some episodes are boring, but they all are a must watch if you like the show.

Also, if you enjoyed the show, i may suggest you to watch the first season of TRue Detective, or, if you enjoyed the first season of True Detective, then give a try to Twin peaks.

Second only to based John Justice Wheeler scenes imo. Or the James tries to bang the milf plotline.

Fuck season 2 was a slog.

What are you on about mate Swery has never even heard of Twin Peaks

It's an interesting watch at least but it's not for everyone. In a sense, Twin Peaks is the father of the modern TV shows so I'd call it essential Sup Forumscore anyway.

If you like Lynch it's right up your alley.

Probably, but there are some similarities about the mood of some scenes in both. The contrast between randomeness of casual talking and the deep step into the "horror".

My full list is probably too long, so I'll just post the top ten

1. The Sopranos
2. Seinfeld
3. The Twilight Zone
4. All in the Family
5. M*A*S*H
6. The Mary Tyler Moore Show
7. Mad Men
8. Cheers
9. The Wire
10. The West Wing