I'm looking to get into D&D. I already have a group of friends willing to help. what would you recommend I buy first?

I'm looking to get into D&D. I already have a group of friends willing to help. what would you recommend I buy first?

Dices?

13th age

A prostitute

you can piratebay the fifth edition books, its a relatively easy edition to learn and it gives the dungeon master a lot of le way to mess with the setting

I should re word the question. what add on, creatures, boards or just plain cool shit should I buy

Lube and paper towels

Players manual it has basics and a set of dice

An imagination

I think AD&D 2nd edition is the best. Easy to torrent.

what's the difference between regular and advanced? just added detail

just go on roll20.net they have everything you need to play 5e digitally, or if you want 4e, piratebay has the torrents of the character builder/ monster manuals etc

Just gonna throw this out there. Realize it takes a huge amount of time. Like, regular multi-hour sessions. That alone is the biggest hurdle. Don't start with a massive group, or if you do, expect that people will drop out.

Play pathfinder instead. It's got better balance and rules.

how about a group of 3-4?

>pathfinder
>balanced
Good meme

Get the PDF's for the corebooks you'll use based on which edition you'll play.
I really recommend not playing 4e. There can be a lot of rules, but do try to get them as best you can. I have one guy in my group who's been playing for 6 weeks now and still can't fully understand the rules for combat
Also, if you think you have a character hook that'll be funny, it most likely won't.
Finally, NEVER EVER insert anything to do with fetishes.

>what would you recommend I buy first?
A bullet, and rent a gun.

3-4 PCs is the best number, ive run a 3 year long campaign that we play once every other week or so with that many, and its perfect

If you're only playing: Player Manual, a pen, and your own set of dice. You could buy the starter kit alone first though until you're sure you enjoy it.

That's about perfect. If you get too many people, it can be hard to get everyone together for sessions.

*pencil

3.5 is probably your favorite edition of DnD.

Definitely no tcondoms. Wont be needing those.

yeah and we all love improv and making shit up as we go so I feel like this would be a good fit for us.

Maybe you should take this to /tg/ if you want something besides dragon dildo suggestions.

This.
I had a group once with 7 people. We blew through everything the DM put in our way.
Plus, we very often had people who couldn't make it our just had to leave early every week.

definitely will next time. thank ya

If it's your first time being a DM don't be afraid to go heavy handed on the balancing during char gen. Nothing's worse than those players who make unkillables at level 2 by exploiting the mechanics.

>never ever insert any thing to do with fetishes

I'm guessing you learned this from experience? haha

Don't know how much of this was cleared up since 3.5 though.

this, as the DM, your word is law. dont be afraid to nerf or buff mechanics in the game, players, and monsters as you please. an unbalanced game gets boring

Buy the following items:
1) Bag of Holding
2) Portable Hole

Place portable hole inside bag of holding.
Advance to 80th level.

3.5 is even worse honestly.
4, 5, and 2(only because I haven't played it) in that order. 3.5 was awful, pathfinder wasn't much better.

so keep it a steady incline in progression and keep it interesting

>advance to the astral plane via black wormhole

Kek
Paradox bomb

I have more of a problem who do the opposite of min maxing and then complain when their characters suck.
>One game had a guy who made a minotaur sorcerer in 4e, absolutely terrible
>His hit modifier is awful and often rolls terribly, but that wasn't his fault
>One day, one player hosts at his house, has a family and his oldest kid is like 5
>he rolls three misses in a row, then uses a daily, rolls 1 and screams swear words as loud as his can

I was into D&D way back in the 70's and we set up to play it many many times but I don't ever think we really got into a game of it. Most of our time was made up of making characters and other shit but we never really actually played the game at least not for very long anyways.

One of the modules that I always wanted to play and did get into on a couple of occasions was

>Tomb of Horrors.

I could not think of the name of this so I did a google search for classic D&D modules and I just clicked on the first link that listed the top 10 modules of all time and Tomb of Horror was listed as number one.

You can probably find torrents of all the D&D books and possibly some modules as well if you look for them.

being a programmer for a living makes it really hard not to use the latest edition of something. an OCD of sorts

oldfag here. Wished I could've asked the fucking internet this question back in 1985! Some good suggestions here.

Right now in 2016, I would recommend the "Wrath of Ashardalon" board game for starters.

You've got the right amount of people, and this is are real easy exposure route of some of them have never done real RPGs. Plus the randomization of the tiles, and all of the character statues really engages people. Those that take to this are really easy to get into actually role playing.

I've actually played WoA and Legend of Drizzt (same type of game) as the dungeon master...kind of guiding the game and rolling for the monsters with newbies, and they loved it.

Good luck!

Pathfinder core and some rope to hang yourself.

Only way he'll get pussy now

thanks for the info!

Well you can't fix stupid. Minotaur mage is a dumb fucking build. I'm talking about the guys who love to break the mechanics not just a shitty player.

Better friends

I never did this, but I've seen other people do it, and it's just uncomfortable.
>Playing a game where all characters are really high level
>One of the spell casters goes hunting for for strong monsters
>Finds some hydras
>Polymorphs them into women
>Sells most of them into sex slavery and keeps one for personal use
>The whole time everyone just gives him the weirdest looks you can imagine

buy dice

buy a box-grid map and some markers like litle stones if you like the visual

buy the miniatures if you're a richfag

buy the QUINTESSENTIAL books like the handbooks and the DM guide, look online like websites such as 4shared that have most of the books in pdf version

they are often overpriced and hard to find

what version are you starting? maybe i can help

Dwarvenforge is an amazing thing to have really brings it justice to map layouts

> 4th edition
you mean mmo edition. literally the worst rpg made to date

go play fucking WoD you shitlord

yeah that's why I'm using personal friends because I know they won't pull shit like this

Make sure everyone is on the same page that:
1) it isn't DM vs The Players. It's a group activity. Don't make it a zero-sum game.
2) the main point is to have fun! Whatever you guys do that makes it a fun get-together is what makes it right for you.

I mentioned 3.5 because I know you can break your char at gen.
I mentioned path because it's easy for beginners.

I saw the guy who got me into D&D do ever weirder stuff
>Another high level game
>He basically wants to make an Assassin's Creed character
>Makes an assassin in 3.5
>Assassin's get spells in this gen
>He goes hunting pedophiles by using Alter Self on himself to make his character look like a teenage girl and flirt with old guys
>DM has a very uncomfortable time RP'ing the old men

a noose

it's moments like these :D

I can only imagine him being forced to RP as a pedophile. fun times

Buy the least expensive fleshlight you can afford. An expensive one is just not worth it, and pretty much feels the same. Also avoid the "signature" line. Not worth it, IMHO.

I have a guy in our group who always plays girls and tries to flirt with other players in game/use his slut powers to exploit anything he possibly can. Since this has happened we've made him strictly play male characters.

beautiful

Every character I've played has basically been asexual.
Every time a character tries flirting with anything, it just makes for a weird time.

Pathfinder and 3.5 may as well be the same game. The same techniques break the game. Wizard and Druid are still the best classes.

If you include shit from 3rd parties (Spheres of Power and some of Path of War) and just ban a lot of the broken shit (like every full caster) you approach something that is fun for all your players.

But seriously, just buy 13th age instead. It's what 5e wishes it could be.

13th age is so kiddy and not serious though.

Exactly. No one wants to do that. Even if you do have an actual girl in the group, she doesn't want to hear that shit either.

hi op, my suggestion is this.

get real drunk and roleplay hard as fuk. no giggling and joking about how it's awkward, you do the dwarven accent and in-character questions and answers and you stick to that shit.

your friends will think you're a tryhard faggot but the game is honestly boring as shit if you play it as a player and not as a character.

like really you spend 4 hours setting everything up creating your characters asking to borrow such and such book etc and 32 minutes playing and then people have to go home. make those 32 minutes as fun as possible.

This

If you don't roleplay, it's honestly pretty boring.

Just remember to come in with an idea of the character you want to play otherwise you'll come up with some silly shit that's difficult to stay in character with

Getting drunk before playing would probably just make you act chaotic stupid.
RP'ing evil characters is usually fun. My current character is NE, and I'm having a great time with being lying, manipulative, and hostile, while also being a thief taking whatever he wants from everyone.
Everyone else in my group went true neutral, and all they really do is follow my guy's shady actions.

it's hard to roleplay without dying of cringe when you're sober in my experience. you need to be loosened up for an inherently awkward thing like that. if you can't handle your liquor tho i guess not. better to be stiff than puking

Fedora

You just gotta look at it like you're acting instead of role-playing. As weird as it sounds that helped me get over the cringe factor.

>5e
> Great for beginners; intuitive and easy; has an online SRD rules reference.
> A little shallow in the long run
> 4e
> A "tabletop MMO." For some people that's a turn on, for others that's a turn off.
> Cool character builder, look up CBloader.
> Pathfinder (An update of 3.5)
> Tons of first and third party info; Easy to convert stuff from 3; more tactical; lots of fun adventure paths and shit to play.
> Can get bogged down with rules and modifiers.
>2e and 1e
> Awesome art; great settings; the books are relatively cheap (I got all the Complete handbooks for THAC0 can be confusing for new comers.
> The books can be confusing and hard to navigate at times.
> 0e (B/X, Becmi etc)
> Old school and hard as hell. Some love that, some don't.

in my opinion, 2nd edition and 3.5e are the best, but 4th and 5th are more noobie friendly. you're gonna need a d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and d20. d% die (d10, but 1=10, 7=70, etc.) are useful but largely optional. if you buy a set of die tho, it should come with one.
good starting classes, in my opinion, are fighter, cleric, and sorcerer. they let you get a decent feel of how you like to play, but going sorcerer allows a bit more freedom with what you cast and when rather than micromanaging a spellbook and rituals. for the same reason, i recommend not starting with a rogue because they're largely skill point focused. additionally, you'd need to be in melee most of the time but without the benefit of a shield and heavy armor.
i'd also highly suggest googling "central casting - heroes of legend" and downloading a .pdf of it. it's a random backstory generator, which can give some awesome, memorable, and goofy ideas.

How is 4e a tabletop MMO? I've never played it, just curious .

in old school dnd, a challenge rating 1 encounter would be a decently challenging (health lost very likely, risk of death present) encounter for a party of 3-4 first level characters. in third edition, it kind of shifted to CR being the level of a character necessary to have a better-than-chance odds of defeating 1-on-1. 4th edition changed it so it's similar to JRPGs and MMOs, in that every PC should be able to single handedly defeat multiple enemies in an appropriately balanced encounter.
>old school dnd
at every or most encounters, you have a solid chance of dying. supposed to be "realistic"
>early to mid-2000's dnd
encounters should be risky, but fair. combat should be expected, not feared
>modern dnd
aside from boss monsters or really bad luck, you shouldn't be at risk of dying with any regularity

It is. Every class is delegated into roles like Tank, DPS, or healer.
On top of that, every attack you use is like a spell. Plus, encounter/daily attacks feel like something right out of a video game.

There's a big focus on getting better magical gear, and a lot of powers with cool downs (Powers are split into at-will, encounter, and daily). Wizards also tried to push a pay-monthly character building site, and virtual tabletops with built in macros. I personally like 4e, but comparing it to tabletop MMO is apt.

Ah, thanks anons. Sounds to me like old school DnD would be my favourite. I hate MMO's in real life.

the D&D 5th Edition beginners box set is a fantastic way to break the ice and learn D&D together with friends. I've been DMing and playing for over 20 years and recently started a group of all first time players (6 in total) and they picked it up very quick. Its written assuming it's you're first time DMing so you wont have trouble there. Even comes with all the dice.

also watching acquisitions incorporated on youtube will give you an idea on what a session is like and watching Chris Perkin's DM is a great way to learn how to DM well.

Good luck and may all your hits be crits!

If you have money to burn, I'd recommend grabbing hero labs. Does all the calculations for you and makes sure chars are created within the rules.

Don't buy more than one copy though, just have the DM buy the copy and use it like a character checker/reference tool that only the DM uses.

Critical Role is interesting to watch as well. Matt Mercer is another good DM. He also has some GM guide videos which can help as well.

Me and a bunch of friends play a modified version of DND, we made our own system and shit. We have a ton of fun doing it, so I think it'd be worth it to buy stuff for it