Does this dude do anything other than copy trends?

Does this dude do anything other than copy trends?
I'd like him more if he came up with his own style instead of mimicking others.
He has the voice, the production, he tries different instruments, but just ends up doing something already done to death.

all hip hop is for idiots

What he has is the looks, the fame, the money, the pose, and an appeal to everyday simpletons.

Whose style is he mimicking? Genuinely don't know and would like to listen to more like it

early Funkadelic

his voice and rhymes are whack as fuck

seriously this dude might as well be white

He's like J Cole but 30x's worse. A simple person believing themselves to be an enlightened innovator, because he embodies this mindset he appeals to normalfags who want to feel smart and relate to his 'deep' lyrics..

...I like it... It's not original but it's catchy.

And that's a trend right now? News to me

i never said it was a trend, you asked whose style he was mimicking

i know op said it but it wasn't in your reply

He came in as an actor trying to do hip hop and his early stuff was decent, but it wasn't new and had typical style of backpack rappers, which he claimed he wasn't..., followed up to Camp where he did that and tried some r&b like shit if I remember right.
Because of the Internet is everything before, just trap. He has some cool stuff, like I love Zealots of Stockholm, but again, he isn't doing anything new.
And with these two singles, he takes this funkadelic style which we've seen with Daft Punk, Bruno Mars, some Maroon 5, it's a new pop thing.

With all of these things, he does add some "Gambino", some commentary and added instrumentation, but it's hardly different than anything I've heard to grab me. Not to mention a lot of his hashtag and meme-like lyrics. I do like his stuff, but it's just another artist who fades in the background. Yet, I feel like, he and his fans hold him so highly and being "different" when he's just appropriating other styles and presenting nothing as an artist himself.

should you follow your own compass? or the guy who's rambling incoherently and admitted to listening to Bruno Mars and Maroon 5?

The choice is yours

what about Flight of the Navigator, and the other parts of that album that werent pop?

I thought zealots of stockholm was pretty neat, that's my favorite song of his at least.

The album is excellent and more og than the singles

>He may be good, but the crux of it is I don't like his supporters, so I won't allow myself to enjoy him. To hide that this is the ultimate meaning of my message, here's some inane comparisons and shit memes

FTFY

Actually.... not the same but everything is moving backwards
TPaB, You're dead, RAM...

Funkadelic but more importantly hes cashing in off the Ableton-era funk resurgence thats been bubbling under 2010-present

That new Bruno Mars album is actually pretty decent mate. Wouldn't say it's anything truly groundbreaking, but still a good listen.

that song is great

the first one, me and your mamma is great
the other one is pretty meh in my opinion but i'm really hyped for this new album

Bitch, did you even hear Because the Internet?
Sure, I think everyone has a strong opinion on that album but I think that even the biggest haters of that album can agree that the production was very original(for example The Party, No Exit and Zealots of Stockholm). Also the distorted BoC sounding samples on The Worst Guys.
You can can call Glover a lot of things but not unoriginal.

Okay? Still a good song and he's talented enough to deserved the cash in.

For sure

He sincerely can't. His newest material is getting love because at least now he's trendriding stuff people kind of like.

Those aren't samples thats a Poly 61