amazon.com/Love-Friendship-Austens-Entirely-Vindicated/dp/0316294128
fandor.com/keyframe/daily-cannes-2016-lineup
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Tarkovsky is nowhere near the greats even though Andrei Rublev is great edition

What does /film/ think of Arrow Video?

youtube.com/user/ArrowVideoUK/videos
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Arrow_Films_releases#Arrow_Video

Which version is better:
La Chienne (Renoir) or Scarlet Street (Lang)?

The Magnificent Ambersons and The Trial are both better films than Citizen Kane

I like Arrow. Nice mix of art and genre films.

F for Fake is better than anything he did exceptuating aaaaaaaah the french

Did they innovate visually the way Kane did though? You can't argue against the look of Kane.

do we really need 100 more mediocre giallo and yakuza
when we still don't have decent releases of S&S Top 250 movies?

for the 3 for ozu - why both Late Spring and An Autumn Afternoon? For a third representative film to cover more of his style, there should be a more overt comedy included (Good Morning, I Was Born, But..., Tokyo Chorus) or one of his more different subject matters (Floating Weeds, Equinox Flower)

For Herzog, I guess Aguirre, Grizzly Man, fitzcarraldo or my best fiend

By the time Ambersons came out Welles had already outgrown the influence of Greg Tolland though. Kane is more Tolland's movie, whereas everything afterward was Welles.

>Shitposters need not apply
can't you read?

>tfw I liked this film so much I'm literally moving there

>he gets his taste from sight and sounds
Yikes
This is why I'm glad film is not happening after all.

Ozu's 3 essentials should be Tokyo Story, the later Floating Weeds, and Good Morning

come on glurr bb

last days is where it's at

>denying that tarkovsky is jesus christ reincarnated is shitposting in r/film

enjoy having no job or money

that scene where eigeman is trying to fix the graffiti is one of best stillman scenes

Late Spring, I Was Born But, Floating Weeds

>implying I don't already have money
>implying I'm not a NYC WASP who can appreciate Stillman's filmography at the highest level

Last Days had too many characters

Who /shepitko/ here?

>complaining about not having releases of highly acclaimed films implies taking your taste from a list of highly acclaimed films
shitposter logic masterpiece

What did /film/ think of BvS, and the masterpieces of Zack Snyder in general?

What is your pick for Krzysztof Kieślowski's best work?

For me it is The Decalogue even though its basically 10 movies made for Polish TV.

do you speak catalan?

thanks for explaining what the decalogue is

>tfw i liked this movie so much i'm literally moving there

What did you lads think of L'Ascension du Chevalier Noir?

It could be something else, nigger

Jean-Claude Lauzon's Leolo is probably the best film to come out of Canada.

Why is this movie never talked about on Sup Forums?

last days is so wonderfully bittersweet tho

will agree that eigeman being sidelined for half the film was maybe not the best decision, but it's still basically perfect

what do you think about metropolitan?

Hollywood popcorn entertainment driven movies. They are fun but don't have much substance.

because that's not saying much

It's been discussed to death already.

did kieslowski direct another decalogue that weren't ten movies for polish tv?

Because Canada is a meaningless meme country that may as well not exist.

here, haven't seen Krylya yet

you don't get to bring memes.

I like Camera Buff (Amator) the most

Just watched the new BluRay with all the extras and commentary. So funny, so comfy. That score, the dialogue, Taylor Nichols lil dance scene, Based Eigeman. What a talent Stillman is. The socio-political themes were really, slyly poignant. I love all his films, but in it's own way this maybe has the most pathos? Love, politics, culture. The deleted scene in the American consulate following the bombing is really moving. And I was surprised to see they filmed a lot more of the terrorism angle, with another attack at the end, which was rightfully excised for tone, to be a bit more romantic than dramatic. Anyway, this Stillman box set is terrific. Love and Friendship soon.

Can I get some neo-noir recs?

I love the style but I have a hard time finding films that use it

dude blade runner lmao

what do stillman friends think of damsels in distress? excited for love and friendship?

Not that user but the user geeking out about Whit above, Metropolitan is a triumph, just delightful. Amazing dialogue, comfy, it's interesting to learn how cheaply (relatively) and smartly they shot it. Eigeman is GOAT, and the tone is just right. It was derided as glorifying the wealthy and stuff, but it was much smarter and more nuanced than that.

Na senpai I don't even know anywhere that teaches it. Gonna learn it when I get there
I liked Metropolitan because the SFRP was a pretty good microcosm for what was happening in the broader culture of America's upper class Manhattanites. Charlie lecturing people constantly about their ingroup but the girls had already mostly stopped caring about any kind of group consciousness. I doubt this was the case but the guy Sallie went with that night, the guy who had a place in southhampton, looked pretty jewish. I'd like to think that's a commentary on women selling themselves out.

Eigeman's character is the best of course, and he has the most to say besides Charlie. Like the other Stillman films, it's about a younger generation living in a time when old modalities are hollowed out, and they're left to pick up the pieces or ride the wave.

I didn't like it desu.

I've seen all that stuff yeah. I don't remember the consulate scene though. The parts they took out we're pretty awful, almost James Bond esque shots of people running down streets shooting at each other.

>what do stillman friends think of damsels in distress?

Somewhat of a lighter work, and maybe lesser in its way, but purposely so, still very good with elements of greatness. Love and Friendship should be great. It'll be nice to have Kate back delivering his dialogue.

Killing of a Chinese Bookie, The Long Goodbye, Night Moves

Brick is pretty comfy, desu family

>The parts they took out we're pretty awful, almost James Bond esque shots of people running down streets shooting at each other.

I do agree yes, really really glad he excised it, he said it was at Rob Reiner's urging. The consulate scene was brief, just showed them surveying the damage from inside, but set to that maudlin score, think they should have left it in honestly.

Good points. It's effective in portraying a very brief time in their lives. The weeks before Christmas and the weeks after, where, at that age, one can get swept up in a new group of friends, or status quo, or feel at home with these people. The reality is it's fleeting and after those weeks, effectively over. The final third or quarter after Nick leaves and Tom and Charlie are like, uh, now what, is really poignant, funny, sweet.

>discussing /film/s will now be confined to a general
Way to make Sup Forums an even more obnoxious place. Now whenever I want to discuss some mildly obscure European release it won't even be possible to make a fucking thread without some faggot just going "LOL TAKE IT TO /FILM/ FEGIT XDDD"

A Most Violent Year

This book is really good for thinking about Stillman's films in more sociological or philosophical ways.

Essentially all the essays posit that Stillman uses comedy to portray people from a very mannered and deliberate background that struggle with modernity and living well within it. The characters are "at least aware of the rumor of the noble and the gracious, of the higher things that are properly human" and that his overall theme is one of "gentle hope"

At least the general wont 404 immediately or get shitposted to death like a single film thread usually would

Right, because this thread is the reason there are so many capeshit and meme threads

/film/ is a solution to a problem, not the problem itself, you whiny nigger

>Taylor Nichols lil dance scene

youtu.be/Bhnw_IdL0Dg

youtu.be/3ubQAunfwdo

Also what is it with Whit's accent/intonation/affect? It's charming, but I can't quite put my finger on it. It's almost like the mid-atlantic accent of old, but I guess it's an old upperclass NY thing? Similarly the older, for lack of a better word yuppie, that Tom and Charlie encounter at the bar has something close to it. Great scene.

Interesting, thanks.

I'm sort of unclear on what his new Austen book is or how it varies from the screenplay? It says it includes her text in full, but he finishes it.

amazon.com/Love-Friendship-Austens-Entirely-Vindicated/dp/0316294128

I know is trying to be all hipster and ironic, but yeah... Blade Runner really is the neo noir movie, user. It's the epitome of the genre, and also a textbook film for the philosophical problems of consciousness and personal identity.

That kinography tho, the color palette makes me hard.

Really fucking nice job with the pastebin. Not The Big Lebowski for Coens? Feel free to tell me it doesn't fit, I haven't actually seen O Brother Where Art Thou

Kieslowski would be a good addition. Perhaps Three Colors: Blue, The Decalougue, and The Double Life of Verinique?

The old transatlantic accent was a lot more English sounding. The stillman ones are realistic even today. My grandparents speak that was as do I

IMHO, from worst to best,

>Ivan's Childhood < Solaris < Nostalghia < The Mirror < Stalker < Andrei Rublev < The Sacrifice

Anyone remotely agrees with this?

No. Best is objectively:
The Mirror > Nostalghia >> The Sacrifice/Andrei Rublev >>> Stalker >>> Solaris/Ivan's Childhood

Where do you download all these movies?
I want to check out some of them, but even the stuff on the "entry level arthouse" list is mostly unavailable.
I don't have access to a private tracker but are they actually on those?

absolutely right. was it really derided at the time? i don;t see how anyone could miss that it's (gently) making fun of these people, even as it allows us a very honest and sympathetic look at them

damn, damsels is one of my fav stillmans. days felt like a culmination (i guess it sort of was, or a peak if nothing else), damsels i thought was an extremely strong beginning, maybe even more so than metropolitan (it's so hard to say any stillman is better than the others, they're all so good)

huh, haven't read this yet, but will be sure to pick it up, thanks user! sounds great, "gentle hope" is pretty much a perfect description

his accent sounds like upstate ny mixed with a sort of like gentry-type southern?, maybe virginian? i don't know, but it's great.

rutracker friend

I only watched Seven Samurai when I was a kid, is there any Kurosawa films should watch?

>I don't have access to a private tracker but are they actually on those?
Yes, all of them are.

>absolutely right. was it really derided at the time? i don;t see how anyone could miss that it's (gently) making fun of these people, even as it allows us a very honest and sympathetic look at them

I think critics in the know enjoyed it, but mainstream is was seen as a defense of this imagined preppy upper class. Stillman gets defensive about it, and a lot of other stuff.

Tbh I just stream them. Even stuff like In The Silver Globe can be found

Wow, you should be ashamed of yourself.

damn that's too bad

to all the stillman bros itt, anyone read the last days novelization? anyone still sad about the cosmopolitans?

Why? If I like it then I buy it on Blu ray. I'm probably just retarded but pirating seems like more work than its worth

same, i like you

>anyone read the last days novelization

Didnt even know such a thing existed...

>anyone still sad about the cosmopolitans?

Yeah, I might be wrong but I feel like the door could still possibly be open? Didnt they order scripts or something? Maybe L&F's success could fastback it. Because it did have a lot of potential.

listen to me

>I'm probably just retarded but pirating seems like more work than its worth
what work is there? certainly not enough work to justify watching shitty 320p streams on putlocker or whatever the fuck

stray dog and red beard
i don't like him much tho

Tarkovskyfags gonna make real hard for me to come to this threads.
God I hate his films. And no, it's not because they're slow o try to be transcendental.

his two 80's ones - Kagemusha and Ran - are in my top 3 for him. the other is Ikiru.
I haven't seen all of them - I've seen Dreams, Dodes'ka-Den, Red Beard, High and Low, Sanjuro, Yojimbo, Throne of Blood, Seven Samurai, Rashomon, and The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail. Other than the bookends of this second list, I'd recommend every single one I've mentioned

Like having to seed in order to download, work to get invites, maybe I have it wrong and it really is that easy, I don't know. But if it's a really shit stream then I'll avoid it. I figure I'll end up downloading someday so I'd rather hold off on a film then watch it as less than its intended. That being said, I'm ok with settling for 720p for now

I watched the Cosmopolitans while living in Paris. Seeing as I'm from Manhattan and my name ends with -man it was almost freaky.

I didn't like it too much. Nothing wrong with cleaving to what he knows but it wasn't nearly as captivating as his other films. Then again, it wasn't a film.

It did touch briefly on soemhing i think a lot about, which is why Americans become expats. My conclusion is that it's mostly for bad reasons, putting work transfers onto one side. You read about these American girls killed by niggers in Italy and Vienna and they were just spoiled upper class kids who, contrary to Stillman's charavters, turned their back on any kind of tradition and only moved to Europe as the premier place to host their anarchic bohemian lifestyles. People who despise American culture as puritanical and long to move to a more progressive land where no one will judge their licentiousness.

It's sad but I mostly avoid other American expats

High and Low is his best.
But anything, really.

>i dont want to "work" to watch movies
>i will spend money to watch movies though

facebook cinephiles everybody

rutracker
surrealmoviez
avistaz.to for asian films
there's a lot of stuff in public trackers too, from certain users.

I agree. Tarkovsky doesn't even understand his own work, because there's nothing to understand.

>rutracker
Thanks, I forgot about this
Haven't had to use it until now, guess it shows what a pleb I am

about the novel, yeah apparently it's written from the perspective of jimmy after the movie comes out in the universe of the film, supposed to be pretty good. must read the love & friendship novelization as well

that's (potentially) good news regarding the cosmopolitans. i legit still think about it like once a month

interesting. i wonder if there's any real chance that it'd be picked up and/or developed further, i agree it was a really cool idea. sucks about expats tho

Done and done. I was waffling between Big Lebowski and O Brother for a bit but honestly only chose the latter for personal reasons. The Big Lebowski is undeniably the more iconic flim.

that pastebin link and especially most of those choices for those directors are fucking shameful, you guys are literally fucking retarded.

i was going to list the corrections but since im on a phone it would take 10 minutes to do all of them and theres no point if thats the consensus and this is the crowd im dealing with.

that kid who keeps posting his "essential" poster with inferior alternates from not quite mid-level directors needs to be fucking shot too. this is why we can't have /film/ (or any nice things).

unreal

Calm down, this is just getting started.

Can anyone spare a private tracker invite to celebrate the dawn of /film/?

Poo on you

I am ordering both of these novels, sounds great

If I have money to spend

But have to work to make time to watch a movie, much less work/wait for it

Why would I do differently?

Sure, buddy. Always glad to help new friends. Be sure to be a great user.

Sent :)

You're way everyone hates mobileposters. I do it but I put in the effort to keep up.
Also, fuck you. The range of directors and the selections for each are better than anything Sup Forums has put out in the last year

Dunno, perhaps I am still too much of a pleb to fully appreciate Mirror. The cinematography is stunning, perhaps it's even his most beautiful film, but I still don't fully understand what I should have extracted from it. Sorry for making common sense normie questions, but why is the storytelling all over the place? What is the larger theme behind the film, on human nature or else, if there is any? Or is it just a really confusing autobiographical rambling? The actual narrative, whatever it is, just feels like a strange mix of different themes all thrown together in a blender, and I don't really know how to feel about it.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks Solaris is amongst his worst though, it really bothers me that it's likely his most famous work and yet possibly his most shallow.

No, it isn't, really

Seriously though, how does one go about getting into a private tracker?

So anons, Cannes is coming, what are the films you want to see the most?
fandor.com/keyframe/daily-cannes-2016-lineup
Elle would be my choice, the new Farhadi a close second.

since this is still a work in progress, my advice:
>Dreyer
switch Ordet with Day of Wrath
>Bunuel
Viridiana is by far the strongest I've seen of him - I'd even replace the overvenerated Discreet Charm with it
>Bergman
consider Scenes from a Marriage and particularly Fanny & Alexander
>Fellini
Nights of Cabiria is by far the strongest of his work I've seen - I had a stronger response to it than La Strada, La Dolce Vita and 8 1/2 combined
>Kubrick
Paths of Glory is essential