Is a philosophy degree really useless?

Is a philosophy degree really useless?

yes

Computer Science is Waste of Life Tier?

Theology and philosophy on the same tier as astronomy, economics, and biology? Fucking what? Philosophy is at least low-tier and Theology is below waste-of-life tier.

Beyond feasible belief...

so there is no point doing philosophy even if you love it?

Yeah.
I'm guessing you're a fuckwit that chose philosophy, or had his heart really set on philosophy, and made this stupid graph to have anons reassure you.
And you made it very poorly.

Common, computer science in Waste of Life Tier? It's at least Low Tier.

What really is useless?
If you concidered this and realized its a stupid fucking question you have your answer

LOL'd at computer science being of waste of life tier. Guess I should just an hero.

A degree is just a slip of paper. You could have a CS degree and be a shit-programmer, or a Philosophy degree and be the next Plato or some shit. It's all in what you do and how far you're willing to go with what you're going for. In a functioning society, every degree/major has a place/use. I used to think Anthropology was bullshit, but then after taking a class and scoring a B, I realized there's more to it than I initially thought. Same with Linguistics.

>and don't always concern/compare yourself with people who claim to be earning $90K+ right out of college.

i just got it out of my image foldier. CS should be top tier.

I dont even give a shit if I own a lot. I am a minimalist and just dont want to be jobless faggot

Comp Sci
>fun jobs available
>jobs are anywhere and everywhere, and super concentrated in favorable cities like on the coasts
>over 90% chance of getting a job right out of college if you have a GPA of 3.5 or higher

Yeah waste of life tier, that's cute.

>Poli sci degree

Sales manager. Travel the country for work. Make solid base plus monster bonuses. Get absurdly drunk on sales trios and cheat on wife regularly.

... but im sure the math fags and their wives who cuck them are totally god tier

Why is business shit teir?
Is it because its a sort of catch all for the masses of average intelligence underachieving types?
I actually want a business degree because i legitimately plan on going into business ownership. Why is that shitty?
>genuinely curious

That's the right attitude to have. Most people go on about those $90K+ jobs or whatever, but if you're like me (single, no kids, no gf, don't need a car from two years in the future, etc), then you can still live comfortably on ~$50K a year.

Life's the longest thing you do. No point in living it in constant competition with everyone else.

liek if it makes u cri evry tiem :'(

also that's a really good way to look at things

If your in america dont do it cause uour student debt system is fucked. Id your an aus fag and all your gonna have is hex debt then fuck yeah do philosophy, as while it wont get you a job, it really ads to your resume

Why is mechanical engineering not in god tier?

> mech engineer working In product development for medical devices

OP probably went to a school full of faggy frat swaggots that all wore salmon colored shorts and took business courses before dropping out sophomore year.

>Poli sci degree
Hopefully getting mine in December. Trying to move back overseas.

Well, maybe not Top Tier, seeing as how you can learn most this shit on your own.
But it's definitely beneficial for people that need structure to learn.
Still, the price tag isn't worth it.

>Life's the longest thing you do. No point in living it in constant competition with everyone else.
My
Fucking
Nigga

Might as well. I mean, I could always teach myself coding and/or get a certificate if I really wanted to work in that field.

What's the problem with Civil/Mechanical Engineering?

This. I recently dropped comp sci to pursue music because I hate kids, don't want to get married any time soon (FWBs are perfectly fine by me), don't mind my minimalist lifestyle, and only need like $25k a year to survive. I make $50k. You guys can do the math.

yes

head for god, not really that hard

>2016
>comp engineering majors.
> not dropping out to get a cushy network admin job at 70K a year and working on a startup in your free time

Shiggy diggity

>Computer Science wate of life tier

Who do you think designed, knows how to host a site, and actually designed the shit in which you are writting you textual ignorance ? you sandwich-making mother from your kitchen ?

Sounds insightful but im interested in knowing how much you currently make and doing what?

Its really not as bad as it sounds to the average Joe. You understand business concepts, taxes, government and succeed in critical analysis.

If you interview well you'll be tits. Enjoy

>even getting a degree

a fucking certificate that shows your boss "hey I did good here" just for them to say "fuck what you learned you have to do this totally different thing"

just get experience from the job and don't waste four years and thousands of dollars getting that shit

That tier system is actual bullshit. Astronomy on the same tier as biology? Do you know how much you can do with a bio or biochem degree? You can go to fucking med school with an undergrad degree in bio; you can do fuck all with astronomy.

>once you start circlejerking with ppl of your kind, shitstudies get suddenly useful
gj, you hacked life. Still won't become manager though

My gf is currently taking classes on photography.. Can someone tell me if shes wasting her time cause i really feel like she is

Philosophy degree may not directly lead to a great career, but it can shape your mind in a way that will enable you to achieve the career/life that you would like.

>whole lotta nothin'
But, I am an intern for a Japanese company, and am putting things in place so I can move to Japan. I intend to start off as an English teacher (through JET or some other program), then network while there, get fluent (already passed JLPT N4, studying for N3 now), and see what I can do to stay there. Japan's only one place I'm trying to get to; also open to Korea, the PRC, and even Thailand.

So much is going on in my life right now though, I'm just trying to finish. Looking for paid work too, but options *are* available for me. Also trying to reenlist.

>live comfortably on 50k a year
you clearly don't live in the Bay Area

so much this, thak you user this is real wisdom

You never know. I'm fine with being a cog though.

No, and I wouldn't want to. Expensive places, you know.

It's not a waste if she finds genuine value in what she is learning.

It's because starting a business is just a pipe dream unless you're born rich or want to struggle through multiple bankruptcies your whole life.

not if you focus on game theory

But of course.

B8/10

Three degrees in CompLing, make $145K per annum. Happy and amazing work/life balance. Married with 2 kids.

Compsci>all

it's pretty nice but you need to earn more than 50k to live comfortably. Luckily, a lot of the jobs tend to pay more than that to compensate for living costs.
All I'm saying is that comfort based on salary is relative - I could live like a king in bumfuck, Nebraska but would I actually want to? A lot of my family lives out in that shithole of a state and I wouldn't willingly move out there regardless of the amount of money I made.

But will it make her money? Idc if she learns how to take a nice picture if it doesnt make her shit.. Shes 25 years old and still living with her dad.. This isnt the time to be getting pointless knowledge.. She needs to focus on things that are going to pay bills

Someone never watches Shark Tank

You'd need a grad degree in something useful. Otherwise, would you like fries with that.

Thanks user, I'm going for what I want and and I'll damn well make a living off it one way or another.

med school if for faggots.
>no logic involved
>study 10 years
>have to memorise all that shit

I see. But, that's all a part of sticking with a company, doing a good job, and making those promotions. Life is a shonen anime, in that you get stronger as time goes on...or in this case, better paid as time goes on. Like the protagonist, you've got to want it bad enough.

>even a lower-class reject can surpass the elite if he tries hard enough

Also, I read somewhere that you could live in a Cambodian mansion for $100 a month.

As someone engaged very heavily in philosophy, pretty much. The only uses for pursuing a philosophy degree is if you plan to go into law, want to become a philosophy professor (which is extremely difficult to do) or are rich and can afford to bum around in college for awhile.

Understand that you can study philosophy outside of academia at the same level if you're dedicated and passionate enough. Academia works for one of those few paths, but its a massive waste of your time, energy, and money otherwise. Assuming those 3 instances aren't your goals, pick something that you can find enjoyment out of that can pay the bills, and study and write in your free time instead. Its something I realized on my own, but were confirmed by friends who studied philosophy, and the head of the philosophy department, who I spoke with about it.

Yeah, business executives have a shit-tier life

>inb4 it's difficult working your way up to that level
That's how it is for all degrees. Even in engineering, you have to not be a complete social autist to get anywhere.

and where you live now?

Both of you are totally correct, where I'm from its the degree that every asian international student who can barely speak English does and because of this they've had to massively dumb down the degree so it's got a particularly bad reputation as a degree but the internationals don't give a shit because where their from, all that matters is getting a degree from a well renowned university.

I think this is the wisest thing to do.
And what about PPE? (Philosophy Politics and Economy)

>IT
>Low Tier
nice

35 year old here. Kids these days are taught that they should get a degree in whatever interests them. That's absolutely retarded. Get a degree that will make you more money. Period.

>Chemistry
>God tier
Nigga I fucking wish

but also, I would miss the chance to debate philosophy among peers

I've often wondered why people put IT so low.

why not? so many paths you can take after and many of them pay well and are fucking interesting

That children is how you become a "would you like fries with that" type of person

>geology
>low tier

nigger we camp and drink and get high and get jobs that are 70,000 starting salary (private industry)

Only if you get distracted from your goals and start doing things not related to what you set out to do (like get a gf/wife, have kids, spend carelessly, etc).

It's not going to make her any money unless she joins some shit tier company or strikes fucking gold because of connections.

>money isn't important, follow your dreams
>"yeah ok but how much money r u making"

You've missed the point, my dude

Wow, that's mighty depressing to look at.

idk, you can do some fun stuff with forign language

Most debates you'd have about philosophy have already been had between people who have dedicated their lives to that. Just read their work and debate with yourself.

And do you really want to tick off all of those boxes while thinking
>I should have majored in _____ so I could be making as much as that other guy!
?

Or carve your own path instead of workin for the Man.
I work for some startup but work on my own stuff on the side. Will be leaving startup soon to focus on my own work full-time.

On the flip side of living in a mansion in cambodia, you'd have to live in cambodia. I guess that's fine if you have a strong network there and are fluent in Khmer.
My mid-goal is to buy my own land and build an earthship as a permanent residence. Ideally in a rainy climate.
?
I'm in the Bay Area

My overall goal is to leave the U.S. and never return, though being able to make an honest living elsewhere. I'd do whatever it took to pull it off, even if it meant living in Cambodia, eating silkworms and rice forever.

>I don't have any pics of Cambodia...odd..

>Civil Engineer is top tier
>Astronomy, Economics, Philosophy, Theology mid tier
>Teacher and Geology are low tier
>Business is shit tier
>Computer Science is waste of life tier
>somehow psychology is two tiers below philosophy

Does the person who made this have literal autism?

Yes, Philosophy is replaced by science, it is now useless. Theology is below waste of life. CS should be higher.

>My overall goal is to leave the U.S
it must be very bad there for a free spirited minimalistic person.
murica is money driven to it's core.
only sad thing is that most people hate americans because how they have fucked up the world in their short existence.

anyone can study a pseudo-science like psychology. It requires no logic and thats why there are mostly women in it

>free spirited
You mean filthy hippy who has no drive and weak genes not fit to be passed on?

Why?
Also, unless you're revoking your U.S. citizenship, you get to pay a hefty citizen tax while out living abroad.
Also it's not hard. British Columbia is offering asylum to U.S. citizens who want to escape a Trump presidency.
If you're rich you can buy South Korean citizenship for 400k.
You could get a visa to work in Iceland if you have some useful skills which they can't hire an Icelandic person to perform and get your citizenship there (that would be a cool (no pun intended) place to live imo).

Part of why I'm trying to leave. I didn't see it at first, but the more I look, the more I see everyone at each other's throats. Something's about to go down, and I want to be far away when it does.

see pic, Lion-Heart.

Thanks for you input, but yes: I do intend to eventually revoke my citizenship. Asia's just one continent I'm looking at, but I'll look into other places as well. Iceland eh? I don't see why not...though I'm not sure of what use I could be to them.

no I mean the people who are intelligent enough to understand life is a fleeting experience not to be centred around and squandered on such petty motivation as the accumulation of money.

I appreciate this. I took Music Business in college. People told me it would be a waste but I'm moving to Switzerland in a month to be an assistant tour manager (kinda weird, they operate out of Switzerland even though they're a mostly US-based artist and touring company, though there are some European tours/artists). I'm not making big bucks out of the gate, but I'll be making enough to live comfortably and also get to surround myself with what I love. The truth of the matter is your degree means jack shit. All it does is help people and companies get a general read on you if you don't already have a portfolio. Do what you love and you'll have a good life.

Glad to know people like you are dropping out of the race. Hopefully 5 billion people on this planet will die so I can ensure my higher standard of living till I die.

That's good, user. As long as you're content with what you're doing.

Graduated with Comp Sci now I'm a Software Engineer working for NASA. Can honestly say I was lucky.

coming from a philosophy major, the answer is....kinda.

it's definitely a great field, don't major in it though unless you're really smart and think you can make a contribution to academia. I also wouldn't major at any program that isn't really good, I lucked out with rutgers but don't pick philosophy at any other state college.

Take the courses just for credit or minor in it, cause if you major in it and don't land on your feet right out of the gate everyone looks at you like you're half-retarded.

>good, remove yourself from the race!
>I hope others die so my life will improve because of it
Sounds like the U.S. is a great place for you. Enjoy what you do as well.

>People dumb enough to spend their fleeting existence in squalor while lacking the funds to not be a hungry peasant
Kek

>philosophy degree anywhere above waste of life
>not splitting foreign language into critical vs non-critical and putting the prior into top-tier

My graduating class of my main language is less than 15. Probably less than 3 people who have the mastery I have in my languages combined. Meanwhile, just the US DoD is ready to lick my balls just so that I would work for them instead of just about any company of my choosing.

Pisses me off that most Foreign Language is even thrown in with Spanish in the US.

The two most practical and fundamental engineering disciplines aren't at the top.

Mathematics is at the top when 90% of the jobs are teaching positions, and availability of jobs is shit.

>Law is low tier

>Economics is lumped with theology

>CS is at the bottom

>assuming you need money to produce food and shelter
sad how generations of dictatorship has the ignorant asleep.
never though to think for yourself or question your surroundings did you user

Sup Forums proclaims to be full of intellectuals, then decides philosophy is shit. Go figure

While I don't necessarily disagree with this tier list. This is absolutely no applicable to the "What gets me a good paying job" tier list.

Thanks man. I'm already working my way up fast. Maybe you can convince some of those filthy homeless people to go with you. I hate walking past them on my way to get groceries. They seem pretty free spirited.

Other engineers don't like mech engineers because mech engineers where the kids who bullied them in high school.

Many of them are actually veterans.