Is this the greatest alien kino?

Is this the greatest alien kino?

Why didnt he infect a bird and fly to civilization?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fBzpT7VmSaU
youtube.com/watch?v=qdDwrY5KpvI
youtube.com/watch?v=xM76aag_wVY&index=1&list=PL0828E3D6929DFDB6
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There were no birds bro lol.
Birds need trees and plants to eat, not snow.
Awesome effects in this movie. The prequel they made was such fucking shit.

I could watch only this movie for the rest of my life.

MAC WANTS THE WHAT?

>what are penguins

there was one bird in the novel. it was immediately shot down with a rifle.

>le kino

Fuck off back to Sup Forums, retard.

>penguins can fly

Does the Thing know if someone else is the Thing? Or are they seperate beings each one looking for their own survival.

It can identify itself.

>infect a bird
>in antarctica

>penguins
>fly

It's the greatest kino, period.

I can't work out how this movie is just so fucking perfect.

Might have something to do with having no women in it at all.

this guy said there were no birds. penguins are birds last time i checked. he wasn't questioning whether they could fly or not.

>le kino

What is this kino shit? I've been away for a couple of months and missed out on the latest buzzword craze.

It's ambiguous what the alien wants. We see it's constructed a ship, presumably to escape Earth. Maybe it didn't want to infect everything and only go home and was only infecting the humans so it could survive.

>Guy 1: "Why don't these guys just fly off in the helicopter?"
>Guy 2: "Because there's no helicopters, dumbass."
>Guy 1: "What about that burnt helicopter wreckage right there?"

That's how useful penguins are to this conversation.

I wonder if John Carpenter even knows who was The Thing at the end.

>We see it's constructed a ship
huh?

He really liked the game when it came out, and Mcready is alive in that.

Blair builds a small craft while locked up in the tool shed.

no one knows for sure.

the movie never explains anything.

Was Blair a Thing at that point? How would he have become infected?

He gets infected while locked in the shed and builds a craft in a cave. Not clear who infects him.

wrong

Autopsy

he meant no flying birds, especially after OP mentioned infecting a bird and flying to civilization. you would have to be retarded to not pick up on that.

When Blair smashed all the computer equipment it's possible he was already a Thing. He couldve gotten infected during the autopsy of the infected dog, you can see him touch the body with his pencil and later he has the pencil touch his lips.

basically just means really great movie, like god tier.

Child's isn't blinking in the final shot.

i saw this for the first time yesterday. pretty good senpai

True, forgot about that. I guess to stop human help arriving and him being discovered.

I remember this too. Was it an albatross?

WATCH CLARK

seagull

I don't think you're fit for deciding which movie is kino

I like to think both Childes and Mcready were infected at the end

shut up

Or perhaps none of them were infected, and they spend their last moments alive freezing to death in paranoia.

yep, ambiguity done right

just wish there was a true answer hidden in the movie that explains it.

there's some pretty coherent theories out there, most make the case for an infected childs and not Mac

It's okay user

there were some guys posting about being in my area last night but they're gone

How convenient.

>Why didn't you understand the movie was in Antarctica.

Yes, everytime i see him and the pencil, i feel bad in my stomach. However i doubt that he could be infected without it being seen right away.
It would have been a great idea if it had happened though.

>being a penguin and trvelling to another country by foot

lel

IT AIN'T FUCHS

Watch again. One is exhaling visible vapour, one isn't.

THE D

>IT AIN'T FUCHS
it's BENNINGS

>implying penguins exist across the entirety of Antarctica and that a human-Thing could reach one on foot

Could be camera angle, lighting or the fact Childs didn't just run out of a building.

Etc
You do realize that the Thing can infect something, transform it into something else and make it seem normal (AKA that dog in the beginning)? So if it gets a penguin or even a spare person, it can transform it into something that can take it to civilization and then transform into a person again.

He never touches the remains of the dog with the pencil.

I have watched the scene a dozen times and can verify that there is never any actual contact whatsoever. With the pencil, mind you.

REMINDER: 2011 FILM WAS FULL OF PRACTICAL EFFECTS

youtube.com/watch?v=fBzpT7VmSaU

THE PRODUCERS COVERED UP THE HARD WORK OF THE ARTISTS AGAINST THE DIRECTOR'S WISHES

DIRECT FUCKING QUOTE: "We want the video game look."

PROOF: MAKERS OF THE PRACTICAL EFFECTS TALKING ABOUT THE CANCER THAT IS KILLING HOLLYWOOD (IT'S PRODUCERS)

youtube.com/watch?v=qdDwrY5KpvI

You can clearly see Childs' breath. He's sitting in darker lighting so it is not as visible, and he has been out in the cold much longer so he has less heat.

This is how I like to think it happened.

I'm visibly agitated

No the ship crashed to Earth, with the thing on it

You're all idiots. The bottle that Childs drinks from was full of gasoline; that's why MacReady was laughing. God, how fucking stupid do you have to be to not understand this obvious plotpoint? The answer's right there, you fucking faggots!

Also, be sure to read "The Things" by Peter Watts, and BTW the video game is totally canon! Carptenter said so! FUCK YOU

But that's wrong user. You're only guessing.

Drinking gasoline would cause The Thing to have a violent reaction, like burning its cells with fire. Your theory is retarded.

Tell that to the people in these threads who actually believe it, in case my insults went over your head

I tell them this: every time I'm in one of these threads. Usually it shuts them up.

gr8 b8

>STILL buying into the "Childs was a Thing" meme

Stop this shit.

Is this Sup Forums's favourite movie?

I'm just happy based Keith Richards stayed alive til the end

He could be.

>transforming from a human into a penguin and back into a human again
What?

Is there anything comfier than watching The Thing at night in bed whilst discussing the movie with pals on Sup Forums? I put forward the answer that no, there is nothing comfier.

Retard. The point is that it's not clear if he's a Thing or not, that what makes the ending ambiguous, and the cause for so much debate. There is no right answer.

KYS

Is the alien in The Thing the best representation of extra terrestrial life ever portrayed in film?

There is a right answer: he isn't a Thing -- at least, based on what's presented by the insipid and hilariously-wrong hypothesis such as:

>You can't see his breath!

Which you can.

>I-it was gasoline!

Speculation.

>Solaris

See, you and I are alike in this regard, but I usually get "He's an alien, he wouldn't know how to react to Gasoline, that's why Mac laughs!"

Despite that being a flawed argument on every level they honestly believe it

I've seen a documentary few years ago. It's speculated that it's the closest portrayal there is if we would ever encounter an extraterrestrial life form.

not him, but there is no right answer. The director left it open to interpretation. It's entirely subjective.

that's Keith David

He's an alien yet he knows how to react to heated copper wire. So yeah, he might not be able to detect petrol, but it would still have a reaction to it burning its cells.

In the prequel a human got infected and became the thing and then the dog. Then the dog became the thing and as Diabeetus said, it was already starting to transform back into the dog

The thing never encountered birds to assimilate.

It only encountered the norwegians, their dog, then the americans.

You can pack a lot of extra meat into the form of a dog; it would be heavy, but you could still turn into a man if you were disguised as a full-grown dog.

Not a fucking penguin, come on, step up.

>I'm just happy based Keith Richards stayed alive til the end

????

He also said that the video game is canon, which has made people rage and debate ever since.

Carpenter is just a troll, man.

How to become a The Thing expert

>don't watch the movie until after the prequel was made
>read and memorize the gasoline theory on reddit
>be unable the identify The Thing for 90% of the movie because you can't tell the characters apart
>read and memorize 'it's only le good before there are no women in it' on TV
>call Carpenter based despite not even watching his other movies

You forgot

>Praise "The Things" by Peter Watts and talk about how it makes the movie much deeper
>Mention that the video game is canon

>Michiko wants WHAT?

>The Thing infiltrates an Antarctic research station
>A variety of animals live in Antarctica for at least some of the year, including:[7][8]

Seals
Penguin
South Georgia pipits
Albatrosses
Antarctic petrels
Whales
Fish, such as Antarctic icefish, Antarctic toothfish
Squid, including the colossal squid
Antarctic krill

>the thing whale or colossal squid

Good job on missing the entire point of the film as well as the novel upon which it is based (which does involve albatrosses)

youtube.com/watch?v=xM76aag_wVY&index=1&list=PL0828E3D6929DFDB6

Favorite theme? I'm partial to Despair, I was happy to hear it in the H8ful Eight

Does the Thing know it's the Thing?

Does this thing ever join the fantastic four?

I don't know how i fucked that up

This question is particularly important when considering Norris. The actor claims that he played Norris as a man who didn't know he was infected but feared he could be and wouldn't know it.

What was the Thing's original form?

Yeah, because that's a question that has an answer, good job user.

Could the Thing effect Superman?