Pink Floyd made only one good album

but Jesus Fuck was it ever good.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=em4Yl8qIm9Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm half on board with you, OP.
Piper is a great album, but they had a string of classics.

Beyond you being a babys first edgelord, what don't you like about albums like the Final Cut, the Wall, or even Saucer is you're gonna jizz so hard over Piper?

That;s true OP, Wish You Were Here was an amazing album.

The second album was good too

why do so many people have this weird misguided opinion

>Final Cut
>The Wall
fuck off Rogers

because they like psych more than prog rock or w/e pink floyd was after atom heart mother

Fine I will listen to it again. Just want you to know that this is the prototypical contrarian opinion tho

I can understand if someone doesn't like those two albums, but the way this board outright dismisses them is fucking stupid. The songwriting is great, the lyrics are good, and the production is fantastic. You guys just hate them for the sake of hating them.

Update: 3 minutes in and yep it still sounds like a band opening up for Thee Oh Sees

psych rock is such a dumb fucking genre; it's just garage rock with a stoned guitarist

It does seem like this doesn't it

i disagree but respect and understand your opinion

they're good, and I feel like Sup Forums hits on the Wall too much, but they can't compare to all the albums from Meddle to Animals

I DON'T KNOW WHY I CALL HIM GERALD

He's not really obligated to enjoy TFC or Wall because they're completely different to Piper, but I agree with Saucer.d

>they like psych pop more than psych roch
ftfy

It has great tracks like interstellar overdrive and astronomy domine, but it has some stuff that just sounds like beatles ripoffs.
And live 67 or whatever that ep was called has a far superior version of interstellar overdrive.

>missguided
having a different opinion doesn't make it missguided

HE'S GETTING RATHER OLD BUT HE'S A GOOD MOUSE

There's almost nothing special about Piper. It's an enjoyable run of the mill late 60s psych rock album that is blown away by Saucerful of Secrets. I said misguided because it's t h e contrarian album people pick.

Scaruffi drones

Death Grips sampled this album OwO
YAAAAAAAAASSSS

What is piper at gates of dawn tho

Which version are you listening to the U.S. or U.K. version? (See Emily Play opens up the U.S. version and Astronomy Domine isn't included)

I would say Saucer Full of Secrets is just as good as PATGOD and there's a compilation album that in some countries is called "Masters of Rock" and other countries is called The Best of Pink Floyd which is an early singles collection with lots of Syd on it.

And if you haven't done so you owe it to yourself to listen to PATGOD in MONO!

Actually the only PF song from that era that sounds like a Beatles rip off to me would be Apples and Oranges. Most of PATGOD sounds like Donavan on some really good LSD.

Sup Forums should completely dismiss Pink Floyd, or at least anything post 70s if you want.
Go to Reddit if you want to discuss later Pink Floyd.

ive got a bike and

youtube.com/watch?v=em4Yl8qIm9Q

bike and this song are the most retarded songs

You're dismissed. Get the fuck out you irrelevant new trip attention whore.

This is Sup Forums where we discuss music. All music. Notice the Kpop threads you insipid moron.

Hi there!
You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Sup Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!
Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

Yes, we discuss music, but it's detrimental to the quality of the board to talk about artists everybody and their mothers know about, that's why Reddit would be a better place for you. Ideally, one should go to Sup Forums to discover and discuss new music, lesser known recordings, and unpopular genres. For everything else, you have Reddit or YouTube's comments or your own friends.
Also
>new trip
Lurk more

>it's detrimental to the quality of the board to talk about artists everybody and their mothers know about
how

But user....that's not Atom Heart Mother

It gives less amounts of dedication to lesser known music.
You can get better discussion of those artists at Reddit or almost any other musical forum.

>It gives less amounts of dedication to lesser known music.
that doesn't answer my question.
i don't see how the quality of the board is directly correlated with the obscurity of the music discussed.

It doesn't he's just an aspie who needs attention. Stop giving namefags and tripfags (you)s

What makes a music board good is the amount of discussion and musical discoveries it generates. Therefore, by discussing about those very popular artists, you are restricting the way for lesser known artists to be discovered, reducing the quality of the board.

It doesn't matter if I post this with a name or not, the message remains the same.

Every time there's a Piper thread, I say I don't know why I all him Gerald. If your the same guy who replies with he's getting rather old be he's a good mouse, thanks

No it doesn't, the message is clouded by your inability to remain anonymous you autist.

>Therefore, by discussing about those very popular artists, you are restricting the way for lesser known artists to be discovered
it's not like having a thread about pink floyd stops you from making a thread about whatever bullshit you want. no one is being restricted at all, the only person trying to restrict discussion here is you.
>It doesn't matter if I post this with a name or not, the message remains the same.
it remains wrong.

I'm pretty sure the clouded one is you.

Strictly speaking? It doesn't. But it shows a trend that people are likely to follow. If you post a certain album a lot of times, people start listening to it shaping the overall taste of the board, and you don't want said taste to be filled with popular releases like Pink Floyd's. If you want a place like that, use Reddit to stop assimilating every music board to a single specific taste.
Now, am I restricting discussion about Pink Floyd? Hopefully yes, that way we can give more space to other artists. We discuss Pink Floyd at least once each two days anyways.

Fuck off and take you r*ddit-tier name with you

>But it shows a trend that people are likely to follow.
sounds to me like you're just butthurt because people are talking about music you don't like.
honestly, if you don't like these threads, go to a different thread. even if someone posted a new pink floyd thread everytime the last one died there would still be plenty of room for your hipster bait bullshit.

It has nothing to do with butthurt, and I like Pink Floyd, so please listen to what I say instead of making baseless assumptions.
If I wanted to discuss Pink Floyd, I would go to Reddit.
I already told you why I joined this thread, but now I know you refuse to read what I write.
None of this is either bait you bullshit, and nothing you have said with this post has any content of worth other than insulting me. What's your problem, buddy?

I'VE

>If I wanted to discuss Pink Floyd, I would go to Reddit.
good for you.
>I already told you why I joined this thread
i must have missed it, because so far the only reason i've seen for you being here is to bitch at people for using your secret club in a way you don't like.
>None of this is either bait
when i said "hipster bait bullshit" i was referring to the kind of obscure music that you seem to think is the only thing worthy of discussion on Sup Forums. i wasn't implying that you were baiting.
>What's your problem, buddy?
my problem is with people like you that come into threads and basically demand that everyone bow to your idea of what proper discussion on Sup Forums looks like, even when you fail to explain why we should with anything more substantive than "i would prefer it that way."

Almost true. Its just ok.

I'm not bitching at people, I'm just making a suggestion to improve the quality of the board. It has nothing to do with this being a secret club or whatever, it's about using the potential of the board to discuss about lesser known artists, something that doesn't happen in other music boards.
I'm not talking about only discussing obscure music, just ignoring highly popular artists like Pink Floyd. Other artists such as Zombies, who are not popular, yet not obscure are a good option.
It isn't even about Pink Floyd being "worthy enough", but about them being already over discussed everywhere, so we should aim at discussing lesser known artists on here.
I'm only suggesting to discuss less popular artists, and I already gave you a fair amount t of arguments you just decided to dismiss.
Question: do you think I have genuine good intentions at making this board better for everybody? Because I do, and I hope you can believe me.
I also hope I can change your mind (or anyone else reading this) on the subject, otherwise I would just waste my time doing something else.

As an analogy, how would you feel if Sup Forums (and every other music site) only discussed Justin Bieber and One Direction, dismissing anyone who listens to less popular stuff (like Pink Floyd or Queen) as hipsters. It would be awful, and you have to realise you are the one forcing the status quo on here, trying to assimilate the taste of this board to any other generic music forum.

By the way, out of pure curiosity, for how long have you been browsing Sup Forums?

>do you think I have genuine good intentions at making this board better for everybody?
i mean, it's not like your intentions really matter. i don't think your actions are guided by any kind of malice (it would be rather silly to think that), i just think you are misguided in attempting to improve the board quality by discouraging discussion of more popular music. if you believe your time would be better spent discussing a different band, then make a thread about that band, and don't waste your time bumping these threads.
>how would you feel if Sup Forums (and every other music site) only discussed Justin Bieber and One Direction
i wouldn't post here, and i would find someplace else. not that your analogy is really worth anything in this argument, because the vast majority of threads on Sup Forums have nothing to do with pink floyd, and a pretty large amount are specifically geared towards more obscure artists. perhaps i would agree with you if pink floyd and queen were literally all that get posted on this board, but they aren't. in fact, i think you'd be hard pressed to find a queen thread on any given day on Sup Forums.
>By the way, out of pure curiosity, for how long have you been browsing Sup Forums?
about a year

posting my topsters 2 chart so you know that i'm not a pleb that only listens to pink floyd and led zep btw. i have no issue with discussing more obscure bands, but i also don't think that requires shutting out discussion on more popular music.

I already told you how that would work, naming what make a music board good and how to achieve this certain good.

I didn't mean it that way. The problem is not promoting lesser known artists, but doing the contrary for popular artists. It's more efficient to reduce the influence of a bunch of bands (popular, PF) than increase the influence of hundreds (less popular).

That's the problem. There isn't someplace else. Sup Forums is unique in that aspect and as such it should be taken care for.

My point is, you are trying to make Sup Forums like every other music forum, destroying the uniqueness (and value) of the site.

>a pretty large amount are specifically geared towards more obscure artists.
Absolutely not.

>perhaps i would agree with you if pink floyd and queen were literally all that get posted on this board, but they aren't.
Replace them with Animal Collective and Slint and the point remains. Besides, Queen and PF are "literally all that gets posted on every other music forum".

>in fact, i think you'd be hard pressed to find a queen thread on any given day on Sup Forums.
There are like two per week.

>about a year
That's okay.
>posting my topsters 2 chart so you know that i'm not a pleb that only listens to pink floyd and led zep btw.
It's alright, but you still listen exclusively to pleb stuff :P (except for a few albums like No Trend and Atari)

>i have no issue with discussing more obscure bands, but i also don't think that requires shutting out discussion on more popular music
You are right it doesn't need to completely shut discussion of everything popular, but the amount of popular stuff being discussed on here is certainly out of hand, that's why something should be done to reduce said artist's influence on the board. Pink Floyd is one of them. Queen is not, but it potentially is. A few years ago Beatles threads were way more unusual than they are now, further converting Sup Forums into just another musical forum. I wouldn't like it to be the same with Queen (I like both bands btw). And with each of those artists getting more and more popular, the more difficult it gets for lesser known artists to see the light on this board, driving us into a board of generic musical taste you can find anywhere else (ie. Reddit).

1) what is so unique about Sup Forums?
2) Ever heard of musical Darwinism? Maybe artists who arent discussed enough don't deserve the discussion.

>I already told you how that would work, naming what make a music board good and how to achieve this certain good.
yeah, and i disagree with your assessment of what makes the board better.
>Absolutely not.
simply saying that doesn't make it so.
>Replace them with Animal Collective and Slint and the point remains.
Animal Collective aren't really a large part of the discussion anymore, and Slint aren't a particularly mainstream band. You would have been better using Kanye and Grimes as examples, but i would say there's enough discussion of other artists to balance that out.
>There are like two per week.
that's honestly not that much all things considered.
look man, i'm not gonna go to reddit just to talk about pink floyd. i've never used that website, and i'm not going to start now. besides, who made you the arbitor of what should and shouldn't be discussed? why is it that the amount of pop being discussed is unacceptable? once again, i have to point out that one pink floyd thread on a board with 100+ threads at any given moment doesn't scream "problem" to me.

Sup Forums has a unique taste, it's far more diverse than any other place I have tried (and I have tried many). If Sup Forums lost this quality it would be pretty sad.
Musical Darwinism is pretty stupid. Music doesn't get popular because it's good, there are a lot of reasons for it. Advertising being the most important (which includes being able to sustain yourself financially to promote yourself by playing shows, for example).

Not true, though.

Saucerful of Secrets, Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother and Meddle were all great records.

Even then, Dark Side of the Moon, WYWH and Animals were okay. Pink Floyd really became shit when they gave Roger Waters too much freedom with The Wall and Final Cut.

I don't see the problem with discussing them here. The fact that people are replying to this thread means that they want to discuss them.

>it's far more diverse than any other place I have tried
even /r/letstalkmusic and sputnikmusic?
>If Sup Forums lost this quality it would be pretty sad.
it lost it after 2012

>it's far more diverse than any other place I have tried (and I have tried many)
Where have you tried?
>Music doesn't get popular because it's good
When were we talking about good? It's not relevant.
Things become popular because many people can emotionally connect to it, which is the point of music. Thus, people will want to discuss the music they most connect with. Why would I want to discuss music I don't connect with?

The real problem isn't the artists discussed, but the value of the discussion itself. If the discussion is limited to "___ is my favorite album" and "Rank the discographies" then there is no value.

>the lyrics are good

Roger pls

This is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. Waters' lyrics are generally praised outside of Sup Forums, but whenever something says something positive about them here people just respond with shit like this, nothing that's an actual worthwhile argument.

I'm pretty sure Roger is considered an egotistical prick by a lot of people outside of Sup Forums. Mainly because of how his lyrics that are obviously about himself and how his father died in WWII, how much being famous sucks or some shit like that, are as subtle as an elephant breaking through a bar's structure, also he has literally zero self-consciousness.

He definitely was a dick in the late 70s/early 80s but just because his lyrics are about himself doesn't mean they're bad. Have you heard Amused to Death? He had mellowed out by then and it shows in the lyrics, I'd say.

Though I don't agree with you, at least you offered argument so I can actually give a fuck about your opinion.

>Wish You Were Here
>Animals

>bad

"The lyrics are great!" is not an actual worthwhile argument either.

what website can i go to discuss good music?

fuck off tripfag

Humans peak from twenty eight through thirty five; Pink Floyd hadn't done their best work yet and that's a fact.

I know you've been mislead, but this heavily dated pop album is not what the greatest generation were talking about when they started the 'syd is good' hashtag; That's London 1966/1967.

What music do you consider good?

I get that you're into to shitty 60's psych even though psychedelia didn't get interesting until the 2000's, but what about the prog band that existed from 1968 through 1979 that retained their creative strength even after their contemporaries had stagnated?

>muh tortured acidhead genius songwriter
Sydplebs gonna Sydpleb

True patricians realise pic related was their greatest achievement and that Richard Wright was the true genius of the band

I haven't listened to his solo albums, I'm talking mostly about The Wall and Final Cut because they're the ones he wrote almost entirely by himself.

Anyone who says that DSOTM is not one of the best albums ever made is a contrarian faggit

>but what about the prog band that existed from 1968 through 1979 that retained their creative strength even after their contemporaries had stagnated?
Not interesting
This was still very much a Syd album you dummy

>being this wrong
keikaku tripfag

Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall are all great albums, prove me wrong oh wait you can't.

>Breathe, breathe in the air. Don't be afraid to care

This line physically hurts me, that's how fucking bad it is.

Any Colour You Like is the greatest song ever made.

>This was still very much a Syd album you dummy
He only played on half the album and ended up with one song on there. Ironically his two best contributions to the album and the band were scrapped from the album because they made Pink Floyd nervous (these would be Vegetable Man and Scream Thy Last Scream.) Pink Floyd have always been plebs when it comes to their own work; They've also disregarded Atom Heart Mother despite it essentially being early rock in opposition.

A Saucerful of Secrets, Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother and Meddle are all great albums*

FTFY

Pink Floyd's music will remain popular forever.. This is because of their ability to compose lyrics and instrumental pieces that relate to universal aspect of the human condition and then some. To pick out one album from the others and claim it as king is nonsense.
penis

I'll give you the live portion of Ummagumma, the other half not so much. Same with Atom Heart, title track is great and Fat Old Sun but other than that... Meddle is my favorite Floyd album tho.
(also did anyone cop that new early years collection there's some great shit on there)

No you just tried harder to be cool.

I feel people that actually play music and no anything about it will realise that Piper is pretty bad. Pink Floyd made incredible albums. They are my favourite band of all time but Piper is not one of their good albums.

if you dont think the studio side of ummagumma is some of the best material they ever did you are fucking retarded, its basically a precursor to dark side of the moon in some areas, and that period is also when a few of the band members wrote songs for dark side but were shelved for later

the studio side to ummagumma is probably the best thing ever. only true floyd fans and psychnauts understand

Actually just looking at the Atom Heart tracklisting again I take it back I like If too. Nice album but nothing spectacular for the most part.

>He only played on half the album and ended up with one song on there.
and the remaining songs were written to be like Syd songs. Even when out of the band, he still had power over them

*know
What a terrible mistake on my part

power? the label probably pressured them into making songs like syds so they could sell the albums better

Explain it.
>Piper is not one of their good albums
What a terrible mistake on your part

I didn't say DSOTM, WYWH and Animals are bad, though.

But The Wall is literally the music equivalent of a fedora.

Probably not, since nothing after that sounded like Syd, and the label marketed crap like Ummagumma and AHM anyways

Could please tell me how Piper is a good album? Also, and please answer this question truthfully, do you play a musical instrument and if so how long have you been playing for and how experienced are you?

it didnt sound like syd because waters and gilmour wrote their own stuff for ummagumma. thats why the studio side is their best

They tried it for awhile but by the end of 1968 they were tired of that shtick.

Well you made the original assertion that it was bad, the burden of proof is on you
>do you play a musical instrument and if so how long have you been playing for and how experienced are you?
I play guitar, bass, drums and keyboards. I've been playing in a number of bands for the last 20 years. One of the bands I'm in now is signed.

How about you?

Irrelevant, Waters wrote for Saucerful as well.

>Waters wrote for Saucerful as well.
he only tried to imitate interstellar overdrive with saucerful, except with gilmour on guitar noodeling instead of syd. and the singles are very watered down and uninteresting compared to the experimental free form nature of ummagumma. i read somewhere the label for that album was like "a double album, no singles, and bits of pieces of real songs? and this weird album cover? ok its what the kids like" syd barrett's pop singles baroque pop era stuff was over with

I'm not disagreeing with you here. What's up?

Yet you guys give Syd a free pass for writing shit like "I'VE GOT A BIKE / YOU CAN RIDE IT IF YOU LIKE / IT'S GOT A BASKET, A BELL THAT RINGS / AND THINGS TO MAKE IT LOOK GOOD"

Don't agree with you on those three albums, but Animals is the one I really take offense to. That's basically the picture of prog thriving in the late 70's embodying the angst of punk with more paranoia and seething rage, in the bizarre context of lengthy prog opuses that morph into surreal soundscapes. It's a prog album saying that human beings are fucked up and are basically animals.

The fact that he was unironically singing these lyrics to muster up an air of nostalgia is quite brilliant and truly non self conscious