Guys I'm feeling a bit down

Guys I'm feeling a bit down.

well lets make everyone sad cry

At least Russia didn't invade ur country.

For the last 2 weeks I've been getting solicited by a tech start up in California to be a systems engineer for a retarded amount of money.

I've talked to the CEO, some software engineers, the director of engineering, the CTO, etc etc and they've all been very pleased with me.

I feel like I'm misleading them and don't deserve whatever interest or respect they might have for me.

Take it and grow into it!

I was just about to make a thread like this, but I guess I'll just share here.

I'm a 5'10", 250lbs loser that just graduated high school. I don't know what I want to do in life. I currently work in a grocery store. I have a slight flirting thing going on with a qt grill that just broke up with a friend pf mine, but it's not going anywhere, and it's statutory if it ever did. I hate my life. My parents are looking for a reason to kick me out, and I barely have any friends. I'm a 4/10 at best and have horrible acne.
What reason do I have to live anymore?

I guess some context might help. I'm a 19 year old male and have previously been a systems administrator for an industrial pulp mill

I've got some pretty screwed up opinions of myself and bad self-esteem after being bullied for like 10 years

I'm sincerely having a hard time reconciling that smart people might actually be interested in me

Youre too young. Lose some wright and join the armed forces. It will give you structure and then when you get out you can use that sweet GI bill to pay for school.

dont be afraid to fail. Getting hired is the hard part. If they invest time in you they are more likely to keep you and if it doesnt work out you gain experience and arent any worse off than you were before.

It's funny that you suggest that. I got a call from some marines a few days ago trying to recruit me and figure out what to to with my life. They said all I need to do is drop to 215lbs

I don't think I could join, though. I'm a coward and any sort of confrontations/conflict makes me extremely anxious.

The problem is I may very well be worse off.

I've got a job right now as a systems administrator for a smallish retail chain with 38 locations and I've been rolling some out pretty big infrastructure changes for them.

I get paid about half what this other job is offering but I'm concerned that given that it's a remote position in another country the lack of communication might make me seem as if I do nothing and then I've lost both the new job and my old one.

My gf has depression and I have no idea how to help here. I try to be there whenever she has a crisis but she tends to bottle up her feeling.
I'm really scared that she might an hero one day

start dropping weight and you will gain confidence. You are young and your body will be a freight train if you eat right and work out. Cut out carbs and losing weight is easy. Start with execises you can do at home like pushups, squats, and crunches. Check out hundredpushups.com and couchto5k.com for a running program. Do it while youre young and you wont regret it. Confidence will come with gains.

Sounds like what youre doing now is important work and if youre able to do that, why not the new job?

Get her into therapy. Maybe start off with couples counseling to get her into it and the therapist will probably suggest solo sessions for her. Depression is just like any other sickness. You have to treat it so go see a professional.

I'm sincerely having a hard time reconciling that smart people might actually be interested in me.

I've spoken to a lot of technical people for this startup and what they've accomplished and listening to them speak I feel very much in over my head despite that everyone assuring me that I sound capable and they have confidence in bringing me into their team as a remote worker.

This startup is a Ubuntu shop and I've always worked with Windows, Cisco and VMware environments.

Pay attention to what people are telling you if they think you sound like you know what youre doing. Take a chance and it will pay off.

My self-esteem is completely fucked after the way I was treated by everyone between the ages of 8 and 17 (when I moved away)

If someone says anything positive about me I just seriously don't believe it and think it's some further joke that I don't know about.

It's been two years since I've moved several hundred km away from all those people and really I don't think I've heard anyone say anything aggressive, mean, hostile, demeaning, whatever towards me. Compliments, and faith in me have been common but I just can't appreciate it at all.

nice humblebrag.

this is ted cruz trust me