Sup Sup Forums

sup Sup Forums
I'm doing an argumentative essay on why music pirating is good and need some help on ideas

Other urls found in this thread:

musicbusinessworldwide.com/steve-albini-the-music-industry-is-a-parasite-and-copyright-is-dead/
youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Dude what the fuck are you really asking people to come up with your fucking arguments? Go to bed you underage fuck

It's not.

It's only good for the people that are not getting their product stolen.

>argumentative essay on why music pirating is good
>essentially asking to pirate information from Sup Forums posters
Let me double-check my Merriam-Webster dictionary, I can never quite remember what the definition of irony is.

it's not good. it's morally wrong and financially devastating if you're a small label

Is it too late to change your topic? This is gonna be hard to defend.

>I'm doing an argumentive essay
>Give me ideas
Write your own fucking paper with your on ideas. You shouldn't have dedicated yourself to a topic if you need to rely on other people to argue it for you. Also, Swans fucking suck

1. don't have to waste money

People who pirate music usually would not have bought the music in the first place. So the idea of "losing sales" doesn't really apply. Musicians who are truly passionate about their work don't care if people pirate their music. Music should not be about profit. If a musician makes good music and treats their fans well, they can make money from merch or concert tickets. Also the "pay what you want" system has been proven to work well.

>Let me double-check my Merriam-Webster dictionary, I can never quite remember what the definition of irony is.
kek

because it forces the government to further restrict freedoms because people such as yourself simply cannot handle it

you have literally demanded to be controlled and thats for the best

Albini has some great thoughts regarding the pros of piracy

musicbusinessworldwide.com/steve-albini-the-music-industry-is-a-parasite-and-copyright-is-dead/

where? I didnt see anything specifically saying that. I think you may just be extrapolating it.

If a musician wants you to have their music for free then they will fucking provide it end of story what the fuck is wrong with you people

I'd buy all my albums if they weren't so damn expensive and if most of the money went to the artist and not their jewish record label, the distributor, and the publishers

At least bandcamp is more generous with the revenue split

the free spotify desktop web player is perfect and the free phone app is completely decent. I've discovered tons of cool shit through the forced shuffle and my provider doesnt even charge data.

Spread of art and culture. Piracy also can lead to the pirate in question supporting the artist (pirated album -> liked it -> bought a record/saw band in concert/etc).

there are numerous ways to preview it for free legally

That f.a.c.t. might be great for going after spotty teenagers but as far as protecting emerging artists copyright from the less bothered about individual creativity amongst the bigger musical acts they'd be nowhere

So it's possible to argue the big labels deserved a kicking for treating sincere newbies like crud

I grew up with these copyright adverts, the whole thing is a joke

then on the other end of the spectrum is the new autechre

I am not blind buying a fucking file for $30 what in the fuck is wrong with these people

The alternative of people without the resources to supply their consumption of music by legal means is having never listened to it at all and never
>going to a show
>buying physical media
>buying/wearing merch
>telling their friends about a hot new band that they found out about

If you're an up and coming underground band, all that should matter to you is exposure and facilitated brand perception. Money is a fringe benefit.

You're not likely going to make a living off of music by legal channels anyhow, granted the empty husk of an industry streaming has carved out for itself.

The Will Toledos of the world are few and far between. If you want to get into music in this day an age, there's really no reason to have any hope at all that it will ever be a fulltime gig. Your goal should be to become an underground sensation and disappear at your perceived peak so the Cantonese finger puppet forums of the future will sing your praises.

anyone who can pirate can supply their consumption of music by legal means

bandcamp is a perfect example. If they want you to have it for free then they will literally provide it. The conversation really doesnt need to go any further other than Trump unleashing pure hell.

>anyone who can pirate can supply their consumption of music by legal means
You are a total fucking retard.

maybe not supply it the exact way you want it but it is a supply

listening to lemon twigs right now is a perfect example. Instead of whining about no one spoon feeding me a violation of this bands rights I'm just simply listening on spotify the way the band wants it.

Here's an argument I've never heard before

Most people have disposable income when they are young, and have no real expenses, and much less disposable income once they graduate from school. This is the time in life when most people lose interest in their hobbies, or move on to other hobbies, when they can't afford them any more. Even if later on they once again find disposable income, most people never return to their original hobbies. In the music world, if you don't have income, and you don't have filesharing, it's almost impossible to keep up with new releases if you like anything besides Top 40. In a world where file sharing exists, individuals are not excluded from their interest in music based on income. Therefore they're more likely to continue to be interested in music rather than losing interest in their late 20s or early 30s, and might later contribute much more in terms of real purchases than they otherwise would have.

You realize the band doesn't necessarily WANT it to be listened to on Spotify, right? You realize they're not necessarily the ones that uploaded that album, RIGHT?

You DO realize that most music that's been recorded that people could be particularly interested in listening to is not on bandcamp, R I G H T?

Spotify and piracy are the same difference as far as I'm concerned. A band could play downtown and the high five I give them after the show is more worthwhile than the fractions of pocket change they'll get out of me listening to their album a thousand time on Spotify.

You sound like a drooling retard.

there are numerous ways to preview it for free legally

Honestly dude, stop posting. You're a complete fucking idiot.

>You realize the band doesn't necessarily WANT it to be listened to on Spotify, right?
yes they literally do. They agreed to it.

>You DO realize that most music that's been recorded that people could be particularly interested in listening to is not on bandcamp, R I G H T?
then thats the bands choice

>A band could play downtown and the high five I give them after the show is more worthwhile than the fractions of pocket change they'll get out of me listening to their album a thousand time on Spotify.
then do it. this doesnt justify violating their copyright and youre the retard if you think it does

no fuck you

Someone tell this ingrate to off himself. I'm too exhausted to do it myself.

and if spincoli buys this site he's gonna wreck your fucking shit just watch

ingrate? how in the holy fucking hell do you figure? I'm not the fucking ingrate here.

>then thats the bands choice
No it's not, you fucking mongoloid. Bands don't necessarily retain the rights to their own music in instances where it's not out of print. What about when the artists are dead, huh? Gonna write them to ask them when their music is gonna be on Spotify?
>this doesn't justify violating their copyright
Eat my ass, you fucking fag. Crawl back into the locker you were stuffed into if you're such a pedantic copyright nerd to actually give a shit about something so petty. I consume more music, go to more shows, and probably own more record than you ever will. Off yourself.

See Just kill yourself. You're a waste of time.

then thats all based on prior agreements

>go to more shows
yeah DOWNTOWN I heard. You sound like a real badass.

Remember you all asked for whats coming.

Albini's comments posted earlier in this thread are relevant to this. Record label contracts are often (not always) exploitative and mean that even if you purchase the album legally the band will not necessarily receive any of that money. In this model, the one Albini references which is a very common model, the record label gives the recording artist a loan to record their album, and album sales go towards that loan, not to the artists themselves. The artists will not receive any compensation until the loan is paid. This is "fair" because the record labels consider distribution and advertising which they provide to be a gateway towards the artist making money through other means, i.e. touring and merchandise. When filesharing occurs, this is also advertising, but it cuts out the middleman. This forces record labels to reconsider their role, as they no longer have importance if advertising is free. If record labels can't provide this service to musicians on their label better than fans can for free, this makes record labels look bad, and many record labels don't want to reconsider their role or change their business models. This is the biggest reason they choose to spend money fighting filesharing: stubbornness and unwillingness to change.

that literally doesnt answer your beyond retarded assertion that I'm an ingrate

no its fair because thats what the artist agreed to

>Remember you asked for what's coming
>
>yeah DOWNTOWN I heard
>You sound like a real badass
I'M SORRY, FAGGOT

The city didn't ask for my consultation when every fucking venue in this city was decided to be built downtown. Wasn't my fucking decision, dipshit. Not my fault you're from deer-born buttfuck middle nowhere that you don't know what 'downtown' means.

dumbass you couldve just said go to shows

fucking poseur faggot

It's books rather than music, but this man has an interesting take
youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI

>poseur
THERE IT IS

THERE IT FUCKING IS

You're insecure because you derive your self-worth from your consumption of art. You're projecting because you're the token "music guy" in your clique of friends that wears cardigans and horn-rimmed glasses and your idea of music discovery is surfing the 'garage' tag on bandcamp

bruh you're completely insufferable. You'll be lucky if you live your whole life not being deliberately struck by a car. Eat shit and die.

>triggered

>your idea of music discovery is surfing the 'garage' tag on bandcamp
actually I google "bandcamp + (enter date) + released"

I'm a year fag not a genre whore

ebin

Take it back to the_donald.biz, ya fucking dumpster fire shitperson. How is it that all you alt right nerds have the same shit onions and shit taste in music?
>t. embryo
bandcamp is 99% dogshit

>bandcamp is 99% dogshit
compared to what

2016 please if you don't mind

ah yes, the post-internet 'le right generation'. I almost pity you for deliberately depriving yourself of good music, but you guys don't even like music as much as you like tweeting a screenshot of a flashy album cover on your iPhone.

Why do you hate music, hmm?

yeah I didnt think so

thanks for playing

>yeah I didnt think so
>thanks for playing
Wait, user! Don't go!

You dropped your hat.

*tips deerstalker*

>I'm doing an argumentative essay on why music pirating is good and need some help on ideas

>stealing people's art isn't good enough for him
>he also wants to steal other people's arguments for why stealing other people's art is a good thing

you couldn't be more of a disgusting, entitled millenial if you tried lmao

>literally no concept of music discovery outside bandcamp
>derived moral superiority from consuming music like a fucking pilgrim
>thinks he's slick
Yeah, no.

Take your hat and go. Fucking autistic child.

>literally no concept of music discovery outside bandcamp
literally nothing implied that

>thinks he's slick
I try

10/10

well consumption is a general term which we've used here for both sides and we were just debating discovering music. If you had simply said buying music I wouldve immediately known what you meant.

or said how I consume it which is legally i.e. in compliance with the artists agreement

did you wanna go back to 2015? would that help? how far do you need to go? I thought you went to tons of shows downtown.

I've already posted twice itt but I'm the only one who's really trying so here's another go at it

If you look at statistics, sales of CDs have gone down. At the same time, filesharing is on the rise. However, this is correlation and not causation. The music industries focus on short-term gains (for example pushing music almost exclusively to teenagers and young adults while ignoring other markets; putting huge amounts of money into individual artists who can sell big numbers rather than having a diverse roster of recording artists; making packaging and presentation of the product itself cheap and unappealing to save money) prior to the emergence of filesharing alienated a large number of consumers and put independent record store on their last legs. Filesharing is only a scapegoat for an unsustainable business model.

>being this insecure
I hope for your own sake you're underage and not just an insufferable aspie.

>I'm the only one who's really trying
no just that the reply to this is very simple. If the artist wants you to have it for free then they will provide it. They have far more rights to it than we do.

youre the one that said 99% of bandcamp is shit

care to back that up? would 2014 help? again I thought you went to tons of shows

DOWNTOWN

Keep replying bruh, fr I have all the time you need to jack off all day.

yeah didnt think so

>
Keep up the passive aggression bruh, fr I have all the time you need to convey nebulous threats with regard to being a fucking copyright nerd of all things.

ok bruh

>threats
precious whatcd just got shut down that far from the end of it

people eventually get as much freedom as they can handle

Is this comment itself ironic?

Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed.

Oops I should have opened more confidently. Let me rephrase my post in a more digestible form.

It's Sony's fault. Sony fucked everything up for everyone.

>Remember you asked for what's coming
>yeah didn't think so
>people eventually get as much freedom as they can handle
Honest to God what in the FUCK is wrong with you? Is this what happens when an absentee father leaves his son to be raised by a single mom?

Keep replying btw.

Hey retard, I told you to keep replying, you fucking faggot.

>Honest to God what in the FUCK is wrong with you?
what thats all true. you are literally demanding to be controlled because you cant do it yourself. you are clearly asserting that you will not stop unless you are stopped.

well guess what

>separation anxiety
gee I wonder why

Good boy. Give me another quote.

ok bruh

Well?

wait for it

I only do it because I'm a poor cunt, but I have no qualms about it not being good.

>I only do it because I'm a cheap cunt
ftfy

if you "had money" you'd just cheat some other way. There's too many ways to listen for free for this to be an excuse.

Do it, faggot.

Good thread guys

danke

I don't care if you're trying to make a living off your music. I prefer to listen to it free of charge.
I'm not paying for your life choices.

kek

>I prefer to listen to it free of charge.
the question is legality and there are plenty of ways to do it legally

>life choices.
like flac?

this

There's plenty of ways to kill yourself. Why aren't you concerned with that at all?

because I have so many downtown shows to go to

No. You don't actually. It's because you hate music.

>No. You don't actually.
yes I really do

nah I'm just going to download it and put it on my Ipod lol. thanks though.

no

Still waiting on that quote btw.

again thats not really specifically addressing legality but I'll just assume that by downloading you mean pirate

check out this weenie.
anyone got some mashed carrots and talcum powder?

This guy legit has autism.

free of charge nigga

there's only "many ways to listen for free" if you listen to a very small amount of music. this is only selectively true. if you listen to k-pop? Yes. You can listen to as much free k-pop as you can stomach. It's not like that for every genre

Die in a fire pronto.

its a fair distinction

downloading in no way implies free or pirating. Its only the thread topic that indicates it.

>autism