/who/ - Doctor Who General

The Robots of Death edition

Last shite:

Other urls found in this thread:

digitalspy.com/tv/marvels-agent-carter/news/a792930/agent-carter-season-3-is-highly-unlikely-but-what-about-marvels-most-wanted/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What happened to Face of Evil edition?

This:

The Title Ruins The Reveal

I watched Frontier In Space last night, and holy hell was it fantastic. I planned to go to bed after part 3, but I was so enthralled by the story that I just had to stay up and watch the rest.

And then it ended on a cliffhanger!! I seriously considered staying up to watch at least one episode of Planet of the Daleks.

Tfw it's really easy to see where the masks end and the human faces begin on a lot of masks, though, and all the rolls and creases at the neck to allow the actors to be able to move their heads are really obvious too.

>The Title Ruins The Reveal
Bullshit, you know any murder mystery in a society that just happens to have a lot of creepy robots around is going to have creepy robots as the killers.

This is one of the few instances where direction really makes a Who story

The script is very by the numbers, agatha christie + dune + doctor who, but there's a lot of possibilities there and the art deco designs are fucking beautiful and make the whole story so sexy

Also Boucher was a god, still pissed he got stolen by Terry Nation for Blakes 7 instead of becoming Holmes 2.0 and script editing after Bidmead

I've only seen the first like ten minutes of episode one then I fell asleep, I'm just parroting what other anons have said

I was watching a /who/ stream with the express intention of falling asleep

Truly this is the Mummy on the Orient Express of Classic Who.

Uh...was the last thread deleted? Have the mods finally reached their verdict? Are we being /got/'d?

It's archived m8. It hit bump limit.

Unless the new bump limit is like 150 posts, no it didn't.

>125 posts
>bump limit
It's a "/who/ dies" episode.

Oh right, I was looking at the wrong thread.
It's still archived, meaning it just died of inactivity.

Exactly.

>yfw Bill picks up 12 and carries him

Shame on you user. Phuck off immediately.

>mfw it's May already
>/who/ has been going strong for 5 months
>S10 filming starts in June
>Class airs "Autumn", probably September
>Likely trailers for both at Comic-Con
WE CAN MAKE IT

Reminder that cloister is melanon and dropped his trip when he was BTFO'd that his girlfriend is fake and is a part of imagination

What were they ripping off with this one? Asimov and Agatha Christie?

Sounds overly complicated.

Cloister has posted his girlfriends tits with timestamp on /who/ so I'm gonna say nah.

PHUCKING HELL. /who/ has reached the END of its phucking lifespan. This is it. Just put it in a coffin and drop in a phucking six foot hole.

It is a dead /who/. It has ceased to be.

I CAN'T DECIDE WHETHER /WHO/ SHOULD LIVE OR DIE
OH IT'LL PROBABLY GO TO HEAVEN, PLEASE DON'T HANG YOUR HEAD AND CRY

Two hours. Almost two hours of phucking nothing but me posting how dead /who/ is. Is anyone else even here? Phucking Christ. Just put /who/ in a phucking hospice, call all of its family and let them come visit it on its phucking deathbed.

was there some kind of big event today or something? it's weird considering yesterday the threads were advancing so fucking fast

>was there some kind of big event today or something?
Mother's Day?

oh, I didn't think about that 'cause in my country it is until the day after tomorrow

>tfw Boucher asked Saward if he could write a script and never heard back from him

When are they going to do a Hoothi episode? They're canon and everything!
>mfw "the silent gas dirigibles of the Hoothi" get namedropped in Morbius

Probably never, sadly, stuff from TV can go to books and Big Finish but not the other way 'round. Something about the license fee meaning stories have to be self-contained without other media.

False, the "Oncoming Storm" nickname is lifted straight from the wilderness years. Also Kate Stewart.

By that kind of canoning, Braxiatel could show up too since Romana mentions his Collection in City of Death

Think Eleven talked about Chelonians once too.

And Eight mentioned his Big Finish companions in Night of the Doctor

It was freaky, as it introduced the concept of the uncanny valley and or "robophobia": a condition where the lack of body language from humanoid robots provokes in certain people the feeling that they are surrounded by walking, talking dead men. Poul's reaction is amazing as he realises the robots could be killers. But the best thing about the show was the bravest bastard D84

>stories have to be self-contained without other media.
We don't see everything the Doctor does in the show, plenty of times the Doctor references something that was never actually seen. Using elements from the EU is no different then coming up with a brand new concept so long as the writer explains it's importance to the plot.

Think about Rose in 2005, new audiences didn't have to watch classic Who to understand anything because the story and concepts were explained in detail.

I'm not saying the BBC will ever use ideas from audios because they probably won't, but saying they won't do it because the story won't be self contained is just not true.

>End of Frontier In Space
>The Daleks appear
>No explanation of who or what they are
>Unless you're already familiar with the show you have no idea what the fuck these things are

So much for self contained
I'm sure they're treated like this in the new series too, just appearing and the audience being expected to know what they are.

bump

The difference is Frontier in Space was written with the assumption the audience knows what the Daleks are. "Dalek" in the new series was written with the assumption the audience has no idea what they are, which makes it self contained despite using elements from the classic series.

For the most part the writers aren't idiots, they understand what the audience should know already and what they need to know. If a writer wants to use a monster from Big Finish they know most of the audience will not have heard of them and will therefore give all the necessary information within the story.

Yeah, so there's no real reason a new series writer couldn't use a Big Finish monster if they so desired.

Tfw want to listen to another BF but I have so many actual episodes to watch
There's a lot of content out there

Agreed, the story would already be great on its own, but the ideas about robophobia and the relationship between robots and humans give it additional depth. And of course, there's the fact that Hinchcliffe no longer gave a shit about budget at this point, so it looks pretty lush. It might just be my favorite Hinchcliffe.

Boucher wrote a bunch of DW novels for BBC Books as well as a (pretty GOAT) Kaldor City audio. I wonder why Big Finish never asked him for a script, for their Blake's 7 range if not for Doctor Who?

>"Dalek" in the new series was written with the assumption the audience has no idea what they are, which makes it self contained despite using elements from the classic series.
I would say it's written with the assumption that both types of people are watching.

who here /bigfinishcompetition/?

What?

They're doing a writing competition where you can submit a page or two of a story idea and if you win you get commissioned to write a small 5,000 word script that gets turned into a Big Finish story

ENTER THE TUPPERWARE

>implying they will have ANYTHING filmed before Comic Con
>implying they're going to Comic Con
>implying we won't just have a Class trailer and that's all

Don't set yourself up for disappointment. The absolute earliest filming starts is June 20th and that's supposing Pearl isn't taking any rest between her play and Who filming which isn't realistic. Comic Con is 3 weeks after, they'd have barely filmed the first episode (still considering she isn't taking a week off to rest).

It's all been leading to this

It's only for Doctors 1-8.
I wonder when they'll start making NuWho short trips. Maybe next year.

We're not getting anything before the Doctor Who Festival in November where they'll show the trailer for the Christmas special.

If dubs, Series 10 will be GOAT and Capaldi will stay on for Series 11, which will also be GOAT.

Oh fuck off. I get dubs for this shit but not for asking Capaldi back. FUCK THIS WEBSITE.

If dubs, the "if dubs" shitposter will stop posting and it will be SHEEP

HAHAHA GET REKT FAGGOT

I am sincerely hoping that someone from /who/ wins so they can slip some memes in there

What are short trips anyway? Are they full cast?

No, they're just short stories.
Most of the time they're read by a companion actor, but the Brigg himself will read this one.

>tfw you have a nice idea but there's no way it'll stretch to 5,000 words
every idea is either too long or too short. why are short stories so hard reeeeeee

digitalspy.com/tv/marvels-agent-carter/news/a792930/agent-carter-season-3-is-highly-unlikely-but-what-about-marvels-most-wanted/

Hayley Atwell as the Doctor please!!

Is 8's audio TARDIS different at all? Or is it just the movie console room?

I might use some of my unpublished fanfic ideas in it.

I always wanted to write something, but my English is not that good.

The robots are not the killers they are the murder weapon.
Normally robots cannot kill human thanks to the three laws of robotics.
This story is a ripoff/homage of Asimov's robot detective stories, especially The Naked Sun.

Fuck off cloister

series 14 absolutely and undeniably best series

I feel you :(

it isn't even out yet...?

It's the movie console room.
It's actually the 7th Doctors design though and some 7th Doctor audios feature it.

>I wonder why Big Finish never asked him for a script
I believe Chris has health problems.

DOCTOR WHO ISN'T COLORFUL ENOUGH

stop. don't bring that back.

nice yellow

that's season silly :)

Do you think BF is going to pay the winner?

The winner gets gang ass-raped by the Dorian Gay writers.

>The winner will be informed in late July, and will be officially contracted to the work of a 5,000 word Short Trip story. As with all Big Finish writers, they will be expected to agree and meet all conditions, especially regards delivery on time. It is expected a first-draft delivery would be due early Autumn 2016
There's going to be an official contract, so yes, they should get paid.

asBill theory: could she related to Danny Pink?

And also the time travelling great grandparent referred to by Orson Pink in Listen?

Would nicely tie up that particular loose thread.

Why does the colour have to be filtered at all? It never looks good.

Fuck off melanon

She looks nothing like him.

it still looks better than raw footage. Anyone who has ever edited professionally can tell you that

Probably 25 quid and a hand job off Nigel Fairs.

I don't know where I am!

moffat erased Samuel from TV
he wont be coming back

Fuck that episode was awful.

Recently finished the first chapter of Managra, pretty solid so far, also fire bears.

seriously Casanova, ditching the murder plan to bang a 16 year old? Come on man

why?

Fuck off melanon

nice b8

I can't think of a single level on which it succeeded.

Literally gets more work than Matt Smith.

Yes. Playing the Doctor and being a versatile actor are not the same thing.

Go to bed Samuel

Tennant seems to have done OK.

Reminder that Caroline Skinner, who Moffat allegedly screamed "You are erased from Doctor who!" at, in public, has genuinely never worked again after finishing the projects she was already engaged with.