At what point does history become irrelevant?

We know that football has changed immensely over the years, but at what point do we stop counting things as relevant? Nobody takes Liverpool seriously for winning a bunch of stuff in the 1980s and if you watch matches even from the late 90s/early 2000s you see that players were afforded so much more time and space it's unreal and tactics were much less advanced, especially in defence where this was compensated for by allowing more physicality. The average player was also worse, allowing players that would be considered di Maria tier today to be world beaters back then

For that reason I think comparisons between Maradona and Messi are stupid, if Messi played in Maradona's era he would have an absolute field day with the way football was and that titles not won in the last 10-15 years aren't really worth bragging about

You make some good points there OP

>if Messi played in Maradona's era he would have an absolute field day with the way football was
kek

he can barely play in a humid night in Paraguay because "muh they kick me too much"

he would have been killed in the 80s

That's like saying that Newton was a shit scientist because he didn't know about quantum mechanics and anyone with a degree in physics would school him

history is made by great men, men who are good enough to force other teams to adapt, radically changing their ways and tactics. Football wouldn't have evolved like it did without former brilliant players.

Messi will be discredited in a few decades, I guarantee you, not only for the shortcomings in Argentina but for things like being extremely one-footed, which I doubt will be accepted in the future.

It's never irrelevant, but players can only be compared to others who played in that era.

By eras it goes like that:

>30's
Meazza
>40's
Zarra
>Early 50's
Puskás
>Late 50's
Di Stefano
>60's
Pelé
>Early 70's
Cruyff
>Late 70's
Beckenbauer
>Early 80's
Platini
>Late 80's
Maradona
>Early 90's
Koeman (I'm biased here)
>Late 90's Ronaldo (Zidane when Ronaldo was injured)
>Early 00's
Zidane, Ronaldinho
>Late 00's
Messi, Kaká, C.Ronaldo
>Early 10's
Messi

>if Messi played in Maradona's era

LOL HE WOULD HAVE NO HGH U RETARD

if messi was born in maradona's time he would be a random midget

This is why baseball is the best sport. You have real statistical evidence of every player's production in each era, and you can normalize these stats to account for things like historical era differences or park factors. This is why you can directly compare Babe Ruth to Barry Bonds and know who is the GOAT.

this

the "messi would own in yesteryear's league" argument is devoid of reason because messi is a product of the modern world. If he were born 30 years ago he would be a 4'11 bench player with the same understanding of the game as everyone else at that time

also, by your logic all of Messi's accomplishments will become irrelevant 30 years from now because football will have evolved again

nobody cares

I've always been interested in the pre-war age of football. Leonidas, Meazza, Uruguay and Italy in the 30s, that brazilian with the German surname...

seems like you did though because you replied

thanks for the (You), friend

>At what point does history become irrelevant?
it never becomes irrelevant if you have enough brainpower to not judge it by another times standards. that goes for anything regarding history. also, holding it against a player/team and dismissing their accomplishments because they performed in a different era is retarded.
>if you watch matches even from the late 90s/early 2000s you see that players were afforded so much more time and space it's unreal and tactics were much less advanced
depends which games you were watching, just like today. also, vast majority of tactics used today were developed decades ago.
>The average player was also worse
no way to really compare, conditioning changed but even that various club by club.
>allowing players that would be considered di Maria tier today to be world beaters back then
see above
>For that reason I think comparisons between Maradona and Messi are stupid, if Messi played in Maradona's era he would have an absolute field day with the way football was
for one, he wouldnt even be a football player since his parents wouldnt be able to afford HGH and clubs didnt have the income to roid up some promising youngster. two, comparing ANY players is retarded and only done by morons, you cant even legitimately compare players of the same era conclusively, never mind those who played decades apart, there are two many variables that favor/oppose each one.

one day you will realize that comparing teams and players is moronic and only done by people who belong to that adjective. whilst normal people watch football and enjoy it.

this t.bh.

>whilst
m'lady

Messi woildnt even be able to handle the ball itself bavk then 2bh

If Messi played in Maradona's era he wouldn't have become a professional footballer due to lack of HGH

NEVER

Why are all brazilians so butthurt about messi really?¿? He will be just considered as the best of his time, the best of his era.

>players that would be considered di Maria tier today to be world beaters back then
What did he mean by this?

No, the spaniard Is right. Nobody cares, this coming from an american.

No, Messi will be in the same Pantheon of great players who never won a WC but almost got there, like Platini, Zico Cruyff, Rummenigge, Puskas
And Bale will be in the same Pantheon of great players who never went to a WC, like Arthur "I am Sup Forums nightmare" Friedenreich, Di Stefano (sort of, I don't account 1962) and George Best

Are you dumb? Players back then were on all kinds of drugs and steroids.

As if Wales won't qualify for the WC

>and if you watch matches even from the late 90s/early 2000s you see that players were afforded so much more time and space it's unreal and tactics
were much less advanced

This is bullshit. Iv'e been watching lots of vids from that era on youtube and it looks the same as today. The Invincible's for example played better and faster than any PL team in recent years.

Also a big reason why football looked slower decades ago is the shitty pitches and heavier balls. Players now don't know how lucky they have it playing on what is basically carpet.

Early 90s is Van Basten without a doubt

>C. Ronaldo not in early 10s when fucking Kaka is in late 00s
od

Football was much faster back in the late 90s/early 2000s actually

>Players are lucky to be playing on what is basically a carpet these days
I miss real grass...the synthetic shit nowadays looks so artificial

>if Messi played in Maradona's era

He would not have because there wasn't as much money in football as now and he would have never had a club pay for his growth hormone treatments for dwarfism.

Consider how long Brazil had ridden on the dicks of its past 5 World Cup wins... enough to luck their way to the 2014 semifinal, only to get BTFO in humiliating fashion.

Teams are only as good (or bad) as they are now.

It's probably one of the most annoying aspects to soccer commentating, when they constantly refer to that shit.

it became irrelevant when Messi was convicted of doping

That's what I thought, but his prime was in the late 80's, and I love based Koeman.
And you're also biased since you're that Milan hardcore fan.

I put Messi C. Ronaldo and Kaka (maybe Xavi instead) in the late 00's because there wasn't a dominant player, but in the early 10's there's one.

Messi is a Hobbit.

>an """""""American""""""""

i mean Maradona

was this mistake a coincidence or a sign of kek?

>Late 90's Ronaldo (Zidane when Ronaldo was injured)

from 95-99, Rivaldo > Zidane easily.

Zidane was really only the best from 2000-2002, and that's down to Ronaldo's injury and players like Henry and Ronaldinho being a few years off their peak.

>not a single shot on target during 116 minutes of Croatia-Portugal (with world stars on both sides)
>"the average player is now better than in the 90s"

Precisely the wrong point you're trying to make - drop those 'world stars' in the 90s and there would be plenty of shots on target. The average defender is better and thus ensured there were no shots

This is what is call a stupid retard talking shit.
I must tell to you that maradona did not play in Messi time, meaning that he didn't have the tools nor training Messi had.
Maradona lived most of his life in an extremely poor neighbourhood playing football in the streets, while messi was kindnapped by Barcelona at the age of 8 years old, and even drug him to grow and shit.
But Maradona having less training and methods of football players of today (And the corruption and dirtyiness of football of the time, which make it a different, more fun sport to watch) fucking rekt the field, he was an unstopable machine, you will never understand how beatiful was to watch him play for your country and score the goals he did, i cry like a baby in the 86' world cup against england, he was a fucking miracle.

But what good is statistical evidence when you dont count the other players abilities.

Like metrics would tell you useless shit like who can kick/throw the ball the fastest.
How many penalties did goalkeeper blocked. Etc.

All of that means shit if all the current players are inferior to the ones some other dude with lesser stat played against.

It has to be similar in baseball.

Can you imagine the player he would've been had he been nurtured like Messi?